Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Darksiders II

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Aug 14, 2012

Players return to the post-Apocalypse in the sequel to 2010's Darksiders, this time as former protagonist War's fellow Horseman of the Apocalypse, Death, the pale rider, who seeks to resurrect Humanity to clear his brother's good name.

The rule of 3 puzzles are getting real tidious

doe3879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By doe3879

I just gotten to The Tree of Life and I'm getting tire of the puzzle solving in nearly every room. Maybe I been listening to the bomb guys reference the "rule of 3" too much but every time I encounter them, I just feel dumbed that I'll be doing that thing for a while.

wish I can just fight my way through a dungeon sometimes.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Yeah, I agree. Game design is at its best when it fades into the background and becomes a natural aspect of playing. In the case of Darksiders II though, there are a lot of cases where the "video game-iness" shows through, almost as if the designers were just following a strict blueprint for how to build a dungeon each and every time.

Having said that, I still find it to be an enjoyable and mostly well crafted game, but those formulaic aspects can definitely be distracting and feel tedious at times.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

There's a overdose of puzzles, and that's coming from a Zelda addict who delights in entering a new room and learning its secrets!

The game's good at what it does, no doubt, but I really want more to fight.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By handlas

I like the less fighting and more puzzling aspect. And just soaking in the environments... love the art style. Kinda of want to go back and play Darksiders 1 because I don't remember enough of it.

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#5  Edited By Lazyaza

I finished it yesterday and yep even if you avoid every single side thing theirs a tonne of samey puzzles and dungeons. They weren't anywhere near as creative in their design in the sequel as they were in the original which is quite odd.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Marz

it's probably my favorite part of the game, I sort of wish they were harder to solve.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Tennmuerti

Yea towards the second half of the game I felt like puzzles were starting to become a bit too much in terms of volume. Even had to take a break a couple of times from the game because of that.

Kind of preferred the original Darksiders balance between fights and puzzles to be honest. And that it threw in a few nastier puzzles, where Darksiders doesn't go. I fear the developers took the reviewers criticisms of that last part of the first game a bit too much to heart.

@Everyone looking for a fight - check out the Crucible and the Arbiters maze for getting your fight on tho the later can be a bit tedious.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Tennmuerti said:

Yea towards the second half of the game I felt like puzzles were starting to become a bit too much in terms of volume. Even had to take a break a couple of time from the game because of that.

Kind of preferred the original Darksiders balance between fights and puzzles to be honest. And that it threw in a few nastier puzzles, where Darksiders doesn't go. I fear the developers took the reviewers criticisms of that last part of the first game a bit too much to heart

"The Tower" In darksiders is where I started to get sick of the puzzles. 
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Tennmuerti

@The_Laughing_Man:

Word. It wasn't perfect either. But it was more it's ongoing lenght that was offputing to me rather then difficulty.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Tennmuerti said:

@The_Laughing_Man:

Word. It wasn't perfect either. But it was more it's ongoing lenght that was offputing to me rather then difficulty.

Ya. Having to guide the damn energy over and over and over pissed me off. 
    D_W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 21

#11  Edited By D_W

The only problem with the puzzles is that they're a bit too easy. It makes them feel like busy work instead of challenges. The game certainly has it's dark spots in all categories, combat, traversal, and puzzles but I think that traversal sections are the worse. Mainly it just takes to long to get anywhere. Fast travel is too limited.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By handlas

I don't mind the traversal. I think the extra focus on climbing on walls is fun... almost feels like a Prince of Persia game. I don't recall this much climbing in Darksiders 1. Fast Travel is prefect imo. You find areas that are then added to ur map as fast travel points. I don't see much issue although sometimes I'll fast travel to an area and it will kind of put me further away than I expected it to from where I selected.

However, I keep wishing there was a sprint button. Your horse has that charge but it's a poor substitute imo. At least War had that dash that kind of felt like you were going faster even if you weren't. I had Death's triple jump thing.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Tennmuerti

@handlas: For Death use double dodge instead of going for the third dodge, then you will just do the 2 fast rolls, wait a second and do the 2 rolls again, this way you avoid the slow third dodge and jump at the end.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#14  Edited By sins_of_mosin

Been playing a few hours and yeah I wish there was more mobs to fight.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.