Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Darksiders II

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Aug 14, 2012

Players return to the post-Apocalypse in the sequel to 2010's Darksiders, this time as former protagonist War's fellow Horseman of the Apocalypse, Death, the pale rider, who seeks to resurrect Humanity to clear his brother's good name.

Will we see a Darksiders 3? I hope so.

swordmagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By swordmagic

According to the NPDs for August Darksiders topped the charts at 247k or do copies sold, I remember before the game came out reading a Darksiders 3 (and presumably 4) will rely on the sales of Darksiders 2. Considering it did so well out of the gate, and hopefully coming forward (I don't expect it to top beat Boarderlands 2 obviously) it will stay strong, even factoring in the current state of THQ I'm hoping to see the adventures of Fury and Strife, maybe even that 4 player wet dream we've all been having since the end of the first game (dibs on Death!). Anyway, what do you guys think? Chances of a Darksiders 3?

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By SomeDeliCook

I hope the next two get made in a quick fashion. I haven't played either of the first two and I'm one of those guys that likes to play a game series in a row and fresh.

swordmagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By swordmagic

You know, I can see where you're coming from but you're really missing on a fantastic series, even if 3/4 get greenlit it will be years before they all come out, and it's best to experience them now in my opinion, the first one isn't too long, you could finish it in a weekend but 2 is (at least) 30 hours long as I just hit the 29 hour mark and I don't think I'm near finished yet. Take it now, besides you could always go back and okay on harder settings/grab all the achievements, I've gotten a lot of replayability from the series so far and I know I'll be jumping into NG+ on Apocalyptic once I finish my Normal play through of 2.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I read somewhere that the game needed to sell something like 4 million copies for them to green-light more Darksiders games, so...

Bear in mind that I read this on a forum, so it's not super legit or confirmed or anything.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#5  Edited By Yummylee

Yes, I hope that this franchise will continue. I have no guess as to what they're going to do with it, though. Considering the implications set by Darksiders' ending, I'm not surprised they chose to go the 'side-story' route with Darksiders II. After all to theoretically go from a single-player action/adventure game to a 4-player cooperative game is quite the jump.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By csl316

Darksiders is awesome and the world needs more.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Phatmac

Hopefully THQ doesn't close down Vigil. I did my part in supporting Vigil. I really like DS2 so far.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mordukai

@MooseyMcMan said:

I read somewhere that the game needed to sell something like 4 million copies for them to green-light more Darksiders games, so...

Bear in mind that I read this on a forum, so it's not super legit or confirmed or anything.

There was an article about a year or two ago with one of the main guys at Vigil and he said something of the sorts. Though I don't think his number was that high.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RE_Player1

Nope. THQ needed Darksiders 2 to be much bigger in order to heavily invest in a sequel.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By EthanielRain

If THQ wasn't in the state they're in, I'd say a sequel would be a given. Even if DS2 didn't end up as an outright financial success, it's grown a lot as a franchise. Unfortunately, THQ isn't in a position to nurture potential - Jason Rubin hasn't been shy about saying they'll cut any property not making money.

I think we will see DS3, but maybe not like we'd want...less budget and less of Vigil's real talent (as the core guys get put on other projects).

Edit: @MooseyMcMan said:

Pachter's been saying 2 million copies for the break-even point. I don't think it needs to double that...Rubin will just cut budget & pull key Vigil members. 4 million for a proper sequel, though, sure :O)

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Seedofpower

@MooseyMcMan said:

I read 2 million in the article to break even but from what they speculate they are only half way there. Granted we are about to enter the holiday season and the game had gotten some good reviews, so maybe by then they would have shipped more copies to make up the lose.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I think the franchise has enough heat on it for someone to justify the cost of a third entry, but there's a real possibility of it either being produced on a reduced budget or coming from a different developer and/or publisher entirely.

To be honest, I think Vigil stumbled with Darksiders 2. They had an opportunity to bring the franchise to a more mainstream audience, and instead, I think they actually went in the opposite direction and produced something that appeals to an even smaller niche than the original.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By NoobSauceG7

Darksiders 2 is a great game. The changes that were made from the first one were great changes and I hope I see THQ push this franchise some more.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Klei

@WolfHazard said:

According to the NPDs for August Darksiders topped the charts at 247k or do copies sold, I remember before the game came out reading a Darksiders 3 (and presumably 4) will rely on the sales of Darksiders 2. Considering it did so well out of the gate, and hopefully coming forward (I don't expect it to top beat Boarderlands 2 obviously) it will stay strong, even factoring in the current state of THQ I'm hoping to see the adventures of Fury and Strife, maybe even that 4 player wet dream we've all been having since the end of the first game (dibs on Death!). Anyway, what do you guys think? Chances of a Darksiders 3?

Boarderlands? Woah! It's like borderlands but on snowy slopes and shit!? I'm in!

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By mosdl

Darksiders 2 being a Wii U game (launch title) might help it as it will one of the few "core" games at launch

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

Who holds the rights to Darksiders? If THQ gets shut down Vigil and the Darksiders IP could get sold to someone with the money to promote a sequel. That's a serious maybe though.

swordmagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By swordmagic

That's a good point, I'm not actually sure who owns the IP.

RedRavN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RedRavN

I'm pretty sure darksiders was the highest grossing game last month. Its a sad industry when even the number one game is not turning a profit. However, those NPD numbers are only for the US and only retail. So I think the game probably has sold over a million especially if you consider digital sales on PC. With the holiday season I would hope that they would be able to at least break even on the game.

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ExplodeMode

Army of Two is getting a 3rd game. Final Fantasy 13 is getting a 3rd game. Lost Planet is getting a 3rd game. Anything is possible.

Maybe the key is to not want it, and then they will make it for sure.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#20  Edited By Hailinel
    @RedRavN

I'm pretty sure darksiders was the highest grossing game last month. Its a sad industry when even the number one game is not turning a profit. However, those NPD numbers are only for the US and only retail. So I think the game probably has sold over a million especially if you consider digital sales on PC. With the holiday season I would hope that they would be able to at least break even on the game.

It's possible to turn a profit at those sales numbers if the budget was approriate.
    Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By Hunter5024

If they had included a download code of the first Darksiders with Darksiders 2 I think they would have sold a lot more. Me and 2 other dudes I know, in addition to Brad and Will, all thought DS2 looked interesting, but wanted to finish the original first. When I do get around to it I'll be sure to pick up a new copy, I want to see a Darksiders 3 as well.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CheapPoison

To all the people who wanted to finish the first one. You don't really have to. The story hardly follow eachother, the second one doesn't really spoil too much of the first one and not a lot what happened connected to 2 in a big way.

I think darksiders 2 is probably better if you have never played the first one.

ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By ozzdog12

@WolfHazard: I think they should just make it a Trilogy and make the 3rd entry with Strife and Fury with possible co-op. Also, less fetch quests

RedRavN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RedRavN

@Hailinel said:

@RedRavN

It's possible to turn a profit at those sales numbers if the budget was approriate.

Well true but the budget for darksiders 2 is less than many current games (I forget what it was) and is much less than some of the huge budgets for games like cod or diablo 3. The game was only in development a little over 2 years so I would think the managment at Vigil is competant at budgeting and not wasting a ton of money. I did read that they spend like at least a third of the total budget on marketing for this game so maybe thats why there is an issue.

I think there is a problem where a lot of the medium sized developers that make sort of "B" tier games are getting sort of squeezed out. We have already seen this happen with the developers of the prototype series and it is sad to see Vigil games might be in a similar situation. I think darksiders 2 is a good game and deserves to be successful.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.