Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Darksiders

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 05, 2010

Developed by Vigil Games, Darksiders puts players in control of War, one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, as he attempts to find out who caused a premature Apocalypse while battling both Angels and Demons on a dead Earth.

Anyone Looking Forward to This?

citizenjp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By citizenjp

I recently started following the game when I noticed the release date is coming up quite soon, this week actually, and at first I had no interest but the more I looked into it the more I began to like the look of it. The combat looks pretty awesome and I like the character so I am considering getting it when it's out. But I was seeing if anyone else was following this title and what your thoughts on it are? Cuz honestly, I haven't heard much fuss on this one.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By trophyhunter

yeah kinda

masterken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By masterken

the story and characters don't really interest me, and the art style seems a bit too wack.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By jkz

I was holding back any excitement, because despite how awesome I felt the premise was, I just hadn't seen enough to convince me one way or another. With reviews coming in, though, I'm getting increasingly excited, since it seems they were able to take advantage of the cool backdrop and incorporate some interesting game-play ideas as well/

citizenjp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By citizenjp

Indeed. I saw some reviews but haven't read them yet but am going to soon. I'm really hoping though that Giantbomb does a Quick Look cuz that would help a lot. :P

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By shirogane

Already preordered about a month ago. 
    Hopefully it'll be awesome, but i'm gonna try not to expect too much. Every other game i've been excited about over the last 2 years has failed miserably.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#7  Edited By Icemael

I think it looks great and I'd love to play it, but with Bayonetta, Mass Effect 2, Splinter Cell: Conviction, Dante's Inferno and God of War III -- not to mention Uncharted 2 and Batman: Arkham Asylum, which I haven't picked up yet -- there's just no way I'm going to get it anytime soon.

citizenjp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By citizenjp
    @Shirogane: 
    Gah thats terrible. What games failed you? :(

@Icemael:
    Indeed thats quite a line up. I am only really interested in Mass Effect 2 and Splinter Cell out of ur list, but luckily Darksiders comes out first so I will have to take care of that first hehe. :P
    zigaroo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zigaroo

I only learned about this games existence yesterday and will be picking it up on Tuesday.

Smashing things, collectables, and puzzles? Should be great.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By TheFreeMan

I'm looking forward to this game, very much. The blend of DMC/GoW style combat and Zelda exploration and dungeons sounds like an amazing concept and I like how colourful the game is while still conveying a (at least mild) sense of dread. I've been watching a lot of gameplay videos and it looks great. And it's got Mark Hamill, so that's a definite plus.

I'm very interested to see what the GB crew has to say about it. On one hand, I have the feeling that it might just be seen as just a ripoff but then again, the GB crew has surprised me a lot with their reviews so maybe not.

Poost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Poost

I just found out about this game a couple days ago.  I'm planning on getting it on Tuesday.  Reviews are solid and it sounds like they successfully combined elements from Zelda, Metroid, and even Portal.   You can't go wrong with that :-P

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By shirogane
    @CitizenJP:
    Off the top of my head i can think of Spore, Hellgate, Age of Conan being dissappointing. 
    Age of Conan wasn't actually that bad, it was more the fact that i needed a PC from 5 years in the future to play it properly. 

At the very least, Darksiders won't completely fail me, i'll still at least have fun killing stuff. And a portal gun in this type of game sounds insane, even if it's nothing like the portal gun in portal.
    10MP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By 10MP

I wonder if it will come to pc.

citizenjp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By citizenjp

I must say I do actually like the art style and I'm always down for dungeons and stuff. Combat is looking great and the world at it's end is a good theme they got goin on. Woulda been cool to see some multiplayer though, not that it's necessary but woulda been kinda cool. And now that I've looked at more reviews I'm pretty convinced that I am for sure getting this Tuesday.

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By DanielJW

Buying this first day. :) 

Something about the over large weapons and whatnot really appeals to me.  That, and I have Christmas money to blow. 

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Andorski

Depends on how they handle the Zelda elements in the game.  In the IGN Live Demo they gave for this game, Hilary Goldstein was asked if the combat ever varied beyond mashing the X and Y buttons, which he replied, "not really."  Simplified combat isn't necessarily a bad thing though as long as other parts of the game hold up.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By scarace360

kinda.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By spankingaddict
    @trophyhunter said:
    " yeah kinda "
    Ashwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By Ashwyn

It was this or Bayonetta for me.

Bayonetta wins in my opinion.

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

I honestly thought it sounded like the most generic game in the world until I saw it. It looks pretty good but I'm waiting for reviews first. I also got a little excited when I heard Mark Hamill is in it.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Seedofpower

meh, I think a lot of games of this genre are just rentals for me. I don't see myself  buying this game.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22  Edited By CenturionCajun

I'm quite taken by the setting. I always enjoy a mythological setting (Yes, Christianitiy has mythology. You just don't hear about it very often in church as choirs of angels and wars with demons arn't their usual area of discussion.) and crazy creatures laying waste to the world. I dig the comic book art style and the news that it's apparently pretty good doesn't hurt either. So, I'm going to be picking it up day one.

Has anyone else noticed that there's a murderers row of beat em ups this year which involve Heaven, Hell, and mythological beings? Bayonetta, Dante's Inferno, Darksiders, and God of War III (I'll count Olympus and Hades).

ki11tank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#23  Edited By ki11tank
    @trophyhunter said:
    " yeah kinda "
    not much more to say than that lol
    ProfondoRosso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ProfondoRosso

this sounds like if the developers read my mind and created the perfect game = huge zelda/metroid world structure with non linear levels and massive dungeons, set in a kick ass post-apocaliptic world with mythological creatures, all conceived by one of my favorite comic book artists. 

Doesn't hurt that early reviews for it have been quite positive as well.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#25  Edited By Rhaknar

my most wanted game this year...and it comes out this week lol. cant wait

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @Ashwyn said:
    " It was this or Bayonetta for me.  Bayonetta wins in my opinion. "
    I'm getting both, but Darksiders seems like it has a lot more length and replayability.
    If it weren't for the replica gun coming with Bayonetta, I'd most likely hold out for a price drop on that one.
    GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#27  Edited By GunstarRed

not excited by it but I'm glad it exists..there is always that point in the year where I want something action-adventureish but cannot find anything of that type to play...it gives me an option later in the year over the endless shooters and racing games on the 360. 

I really like the artstyle
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By vitor

The metacritic scores are pretty damned good so far - high 80s. I preordered my copy already (Bayonetta's look just isn't doing it for me and I'm kinda burnt out with the whole DMC-style combat) and am eagerly anticipating its arrival come Friday

Butchio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Butchio

im really interested in this game, gonna pick it p at the weekend

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#30  Edited By Yummylee

Indeed I am, I'd get it day one if I could afford to right now. =(
    ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By ttocs

I'm thinking about picking it up after work today.  Looks like the Best Buy on my way home already has them in stock.  I was thinking about getting Bayonetta, but I think that would be a better rent game.  Devil May Cry type games are good, but they aren't my favorite.  I beat it and then just sat it aside.  Darksiders though looks like it has a nice RPG touch to it...plus the art style looks awesome.  I think this one is going to get my bucks today.

ArcLyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ArcLyte

very much so. getting it today hopefully.

citizenjp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By citizenjp

I am actually about to go pick up the game within the next hour . Cant wait, its gonna be badass. >_<

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ryanwho

Hilary said in IGN's Quicklook the game's combat played "like God of War, but less complicated". Which kind of made me laugh. It also unsold me.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35  Edited By Seppli

I got my copy today. Playing on 'Apocalyptic'.

Just wrapped up the first dungeon crawl. Combat is, unlike what some reviewers say, pretty hard. At least on Apocalyptic. War can't take many hits. You got to be on your toes. Dogde, Block, Juggle and Counter. Mix up straight forward combos with AoE attacks and gadgets. It's about on par with Ninja Gaiden 2 (less weapons though). Only gripe I have is block, which feels off. Sometimes after dashing block doesn't go up for an eternety. Either it's the damn PS3 pad's triggers or something's wonky with the block mechanic. I'd be damn near perfect, if block would be as reliable as in the Ninja Gaiden series, since it helps a lot, when I need to readjust the camera. Jup - it got minor camera problems in combat. Nothing wild, but it requires manual readjustment... which would be a lot more agreeable, if block would be as solid as it should be. Definitly not a cakewalk or a buttonmasher on 'Apocalyptic'. It's fair and hard. Can't afford many mistakes. Combatwise - I loved the little challenge rooms of the first wrath gate - each with it's own set of rules on how to dispatch of the enemies.

The first dungeon was quite fun with good and logic puzzling and decent platforming. Found a couple of secrets too. Feels exactly like Zelda. The boss had three phases and it was quite epic in scale. Not too easy either. I'd say you can afford about 5-7 mistakes depending on which attacks connect.

Overall - I love the pacing of the game. I always get new moves and gadgets. There's always some type of new enemy requiring a different approach. The combat has some minor flaws, namely with the camera and something seems a bit off with block after a dash - but it's deep, responsive and fun overall. The Zelda-style dungeons definitly live up to the premise. At least as good as any Zelda dungeon.

Looking forward to the Metroidvania-style exploration bit, which is beginning to get more important, now that I start to unlock more and more tools and quicktravel.

citizenjp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By citizenjp
    @Seppli: 
    Hm cant wait I just started it so Im not that far but I am loving what I see. The controls are tight and the combat flows nicely. Glad to see this game turn out good.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.