Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Darksiders

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 05, 2010

Developed by Vigil Games, Darksiders puts players in control of War, one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, as he attempts to find out who caused a premature Apocalypse while battling both Angels and Demons on a dead Earth.

Darksiders - 1 Hour Impressions

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Edited By DanielJW

No Caption Provided

Darksiders 

Last night I went on a trek. A trek to buy Darksiders. Little did I know this would become an hour affair. Walmart was too lazy to stock their shelves, and EB Games shut the door in my face because it was six minutes past nine. So, in a last ditch attempt I went to Blockbuster, lo and behold they had it, tucked away in their tiny little glass case. I had it, and I promptly ran home, placed it in the PS3, ordered Blood on the Sand, and began to play.  

Now The Impressions Actually Start  

I'm having a ton of fun with this game. It's not without it's jenkyness, but it shines in so many areas. The story hasn't really garnered much of my interest, but from what I understand The Horsemen, of which there are four, are basically the peace keepers. If heaven and hell start fighting again, the horsemen are there to smack some bitches back in line.  

So you play as War, one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse. I'll start by saying I love War. I like his voice acting, he animates well, and he's a total bad ass. The over-sized weapons he lugs around look like something straight out of Final Fantasy, but the art direction is great. The bulky character models fit in well with the weapons, and everything shares a very nice fantasy look.  

Basically, War chops dudes up. You can do that by mashing your greasy palm on the square button, or you can take the time to learn some of the intricacies. Either works well. I found after unlocking a few abilities, using them correctly would string in to a really awesome combo. When it worked out this way my mouth dropped 
    Chop Chop. 
    Chop Chop. 
    open, it felt great. The finishing moves are done with a tap of the circle button, doing this over rides whatever attack animation you're currently in. This works surprisingly well towards making the combos look smoother. However my main gripe with the combat lies within the finishing moves.  

You see there are two animations for finishing a type of monster. For the first hour I've played, I haven't exactly seen the largest variety of enemy types. This leads to a lot of repetition when you pull of a finisher. As cool as they are (picking up a zombie and crushing his skull by clenching your fist), they start to wear on you. 

The comparisons to Zelda are accurate. Combat, puzzle solving, and light platforming are all central parts of the game play. Towards the end of my session I came across some challenge room type things. The large rock monster in my path informed me that until I destroyed the eyes watching him, I couldn't move along, lest he get in trouble by his master. The rock beast threw me into the shadow realm, and sent me on my way to kill about five eyes. Upon entering each eye, to my surprise, it thrust me in to some kind of timed challenge. In each of these rooms you were basically required to kill enemies in the way specified. Straight up cutting dudes, air combos, finishing moves, etc. In one, my health was slowly draining, forcing me to destroy all enemies before I lost all my health. 

And that's where I am so far. There's some cool looking weapon customization and gear stuff in the menus, but at this point I haven't gotten too deep in to that. Upon finishing I'll be doing a full user review, so I do hope you'll come back then. 

-DanielJW
    DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By DanielJW

No Caption Provided

Darksiders 

Last night I went on a trek. A trek to buy Darksiders. Little did I know this would become an hour affair. Walmart was too lazy to stock their shelves, and EB Games shut the door in my face because it was six minutes past nine. So, in a last ditch attempt I went to Blockbuster, lo and behold they had it, tucked away in their tiny little glass case. I had it, and I promptly ran home, placed it in the PS3, ordered Blood on the Sand, and began to play.  

Now The Impressions Actually Start  

I'm having a ton of fun with this game. It's not without it's jenkyness, but it shines in so many areas. The story hasn't really garnered much of my interest, but from what I understand The Horsemen, of which there are four, are basically the peace keepers. If heaven and hell start fighting again, the horsemen are there to smack some bitches back in line.  

So you play as War, one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse. I'll start by saying I love War. I like his voice acting, he animates well, and he's a total bad ass. The over-sized weapons he lugs around look like something straight out of Final Fantasy, but the art direction is great. The bulky character models fit in well with the weapons, and everything shares a very nice fantasy look.  

Basically, War chops dudes up. You can do that by mashing your greasy palm on the square button, or you can take the time to learn some of the intricacies. Either works well. I found after unlocking a few abilities, using them correctly would string in to a really awesome combo. When it worked out this way my mouth dropped 
    Chop Chop. 
    Chop Chop. 
    open, it felt great. The finishing moves are done with a tap of the circle button, doing this over rides whatever attack animation you're currently in. This works surprisingly well towards making the combos look smoother. However my main gripe with the combat lies within the finishing moves.  

You see there are two animations for finishing a type of monster. For the first hour I've played, I haven't exactly seen the largest variety of enemy types. This leads to a lot of repetition when you pull of a finisher. As cool as they are (picking up a zombie and crushing his skull by clenching your fist), they start to wear on you. 

The comparisons to Zelda are accurate. Combat, puzzle solving, and light platforming are all central parts of the game play. Towards the end of my session I came across some challenge room type things. The large rock monster in my path informed me that until I destroyed the eyes watching him, I couldn't move along, lest he get in trouble by his master. The rock beast threw me into the shadow realm, and sent me on my way to kill about five eyes. Upon entering each eye, to my surprise, it thrust me in to some kind of timed challenge. In each of these rooms you were basically required to kill enemies in the way specified. Straight up cutting dudes, air combos, finishing moves, etc. In one, my health was slowly draining, forcing me to destroy all enemies before I lost all my health. 

And that's where I am so far. There's some cool looking weapon customization and gear stuff in the menus, but at this point I haven't gotten too deep in to that. Upon finishing I'll be doing a full user review, so I do hope you'll come back then. 

-DanielJW
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

Adding more fuel to me wanting this game!! What I need though is the money, and my needs come before my wants, especially in this case =P.
    DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DanielJW
    @Abyssfull said:
    " Adding more fuel to me wanting this game!! What I need though is the money, and my needs come before my wants, especially in this case =P. "
    True, but do your needs eviscerate gigantic bats?
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Seppli

Nice read. Enjoy. I'm just past the 3rd dungeon and the game's only getting bigger, better and more badass... I love how it's paced and shuffling all the different gameplay elements constantly, as well as keeping on layering new mechanics ontop of them.

2010 - off to a great start!

aerious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By aerious

I think im going to wait a little while. I am quite impatient though. Setting up internet at my new place is going to cost like 300 bucks so that leaves game purchases out of this paycheck.

kirathian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By kirathian

Yeah, I bought it yesterday and it just keeps getting better and better.  The first hour was kinda lame though. 

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By c1337us

Sounds awesome. I bought it already but I am not going to start playing it until I put in a bit more time with Bayonetta first.

minotaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By minotaka

I was playing through this section on the  Apocalyptic setting and just found that my ass was repeatedly handed... the last trial in particular... what was it, kill 30 dudes using the the 'instanta-kill-finisher' move. I just found the big blue demons to be rock solid... so just found myself darting around like a pleb to avoid loosing stupid amounts of health and picking off the stragglers. Finally did it and have moved on!

I am quite enjoying it..   Upon purchase tho, i was a bit worried..  having got Bayonetta at the same time, i was slightly put off by the slower action only to realise the game style was completely different. Now im just looking forward to getting home from work this evening and putting in some more dungeon grinding with a hint of demon stabbing :)

minotaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By minotaka

I was playing through this section on the  Apocalyptic setting and just found that my ass was repeatedly handed... the last trial in particular... what was it, kill 30 dudes using the the 'instanta-kill-finisher' move. I just found the big blue demons to be rock solid... so just found myself darting around like a pleb to avoid loosing stupid amounts of health and picking off the stragglers. Finally did it and have moved on!

I am quite enjoying it..   Upon purchase tho, i was a bit worried..  having got Bayonetta at the same time, i was slightly put off by the slower action only to realise the game style was completely different. Now im just looking forward to getting home from work this evening and putting in some more dungeon grinding with a hint of demon stabbing :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.