Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Darksiders

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 05, 2010

Developed by Vigil Games, Darksiders puts players in control of War, one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, as he attempts to find out who caused a premature Apocalypse while battling both Angels and Demons on a dead Earth.

Darksiders 2 - The Perfect Launch Game For The Next Generation...

• 111 results
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

Vigil Games has created the first game, which can rival and even surpass the Zelda games in the realm of classic console action adventureing (it's a matter of taste). Neither Microsoft or Sony have a really strong franchise to go up against the likes of Zelda and Metroid. Darksiders could be it.

The potential is endless. Add a real overworld for tons of mounted combat goodness. Add multiple playable characters (it's the FOUR Horsemen of the Apocalypse afterall). Imagine Darksiders 2 taking cues from 'Secret of Mana', having the 3 other horsemen travel with you, aiding you in combat, hot-swapping characters on the fly. Maybe even mash 4 player CO-OP with the classic Zelda forumla, which has yet to be done in a modern 3D action adventure. More weapons, more gadgets, more dungeons. Some real and optional multi-hours long combat challenges for epic loot. Probably have a couple of designated grinding and farming areas. A crafting system. A real questhub with interesting NPCs. Minigames. 

Given enough money and developement time, the team at Vigil Games could turn Darksiders into a real rival franchise for Nintendo's Zelda and Metroid (even if it already is, given my specific tastes). Something both Microsoft and Sony lack.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#2  Edited By Hailinel

But what sets Darksiders apart aside from being a mash-up of easily identifiable traits of existing games?  Batman:  Arkham Asylum borrows heavily from the Metroid school of exploration and upgrading, but the game does enough of its own thing that it stands out as more than a mere clone or retread.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By mordukai

From it sound you want them to turn it into a Dragon Age: Origins style  RPG. I must disagree with your entire post.  

Neither Microsoft or Nintenda have a really strong franchise to go up against the likes of Zelda and Metroid.    

ummm, Zelda and Metriod are both Nintendo. I think you meant Sony but you would still be wrong. 
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Seppli
    @Hailinel said:

" But what sets Darksiders apart aside from being a mash-up of easily identifiable traits of existing games?  Batman:  Arkham Asylum borrows heavily from the Metroid school of exploration and upgrading, but the game does enough of its own thing that it stands out as more than a mere clone or retread. "

The cohesiveness of its design? If you don't take the game apart into its many bits and pieces and look at the whole package, it's something that has never been done before.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hailinel
    @Seppli said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " But what sets Darksiders apart aside from being a mash-up of easily identifiable traits of existing games?  Batman:  Arkham Asylum borrows heavily from the Metroid school of exploration and upgrading, but the game does enough of its own thing that it stands out as more than a mere clone or retread. "
    The cohesiveness of it's design? If you don't take the game apart into it's many bits and pieces and look at the whole package, it's something that has never been done before. "
    So because the game is essentially Zelda with a different combat system, it's something that's never been done before?
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Seppli
    @Mordukai said:
    " From it sound you want them to turn it into a Dragon Age: Origins style  RPG. I must disagree with your entire post.  

What? How do you read that out of my post? Darksiders hasn't got an overworld like Zelda has. That's the kind of overworld I'm talking about.

Also - you level up weapons in combat, like in Secret of Mana. Since Darksiders hasn't got specific 'grinding' areas with heavy respawns, it's near impossible to max out the weapons, before the game is over... unless you clear the same area over and over again - which is hazzle since you got to use a serpenthole back and forth to get only a handful of respawns.

Did you even play the game? Your comment sounds really uninformed.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ryanwho

Nothing about Darksiders 1 really pushed even the current gen envelope, not sure why this would be the series to kick things off when you've got Gears of War 3 or MGS5 to consider. Sure the idea in Darksiders might be "bigger" than in other games, but nothing about Darksiders 1 tells me this is a company capable of being a pioneer. Its literally, more blatantly than most games, a composite of proven formulas and not even as good as the games its borrowing from either.
    cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By cstrang

Fanboy post is exhibiting fanboy-ness.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hailinel
    Also, just to throw this out here, the developer changed the names of two of the Horsemen.  Why?  That's ridiculous.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Seppli
    @Hailinel said:

" @Seppli said:

" @Hailinel said:

The cohesiveness of it's design? If you don't take the game apart into it's many bits and pieces and look at the whole package, it's something that has never been done before. "
    So because the game is essentially Zelda with a different combat system, it's something that's never been done before? "

You definitly haven't played Darksiders then. There is a lot more to it. Having deep combat mechanics and hard 'by the flesh of my teeth' combat encounters adds a lot to the Zelda formula. The deep combat mechanics and the classic console action adventure formula go together so well, that I have to insist that they belong together... Zelda is lacking in comparison with Darksiders because of this.

Also - Zelda was Zelda is Zelda and remains Zelda since its first conception on the NES. How's Darksiders to blame for being awesome? How is it any less awesome than Zelda? Because it isn't Zelda? You make no fucking sense.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Seppli
    @cstrang said:

" Fanboy post is exhibiting fanboy-ness. "

Just pissed off at ignorant fools and hypocrites marking down 'copycat' games for the same things they put the 'originals' on a pedestal. Anyways - your hypocrisy makes you more of a fanboy than I could ever be rooting for a game.

Fuck originality! Every love has been loved before. Every story has been lived before. Everything found was there from the get-go. Nobody owns anything. I don't owe anybody shit. Everything is permitted. Fools and hypocrites are the bane of my existence. Because the others are hell - obviously.

Good thing videogames have sharpend my demon slaying skills! *glares at you* *yes... YOU!*
    Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Daryl

*hypocrisy

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Seppli
    @ryanwho said:
    " Nothing about Darksiders 1 really pushed even the current gen envelope, not sure why this would be the series to kick things off when you've got Gears of War 3 or MGS5 to consider. Sure the idea in Darksiders might be "bigger" than in other games, but nothing about Darksiders 1 tells me this is a company capable of being a pioneer. Its literally, more blatantly than most games, a composite of proven formulas and not even as good as the games its borrowing from either. "

Isn't it quite refreshing and original, when a new developing team doesn't write 'ORIGINALITY' on their bandwagon? Vigil Games love the same games we love and wants to make just such games too. Fucking commendable! And they pulled it off too!
    cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By cstrang
    @Seppli said:

Good thing videogames have sharpend my demon slaying skills! *glares at you* *yes... YOU!* "

Oh, you're so fucking clever.  It still does not excuse the fact that you are a fan boy of this game.  You have an obvious bias for it for whatever reason.  You even started calling people names when people said they were speculative about the game before it came out.  I can't listen to a damn word you say because I know it will always have a little bit of uneven "Darksiders iz Teh Kewlest" tone.

And, guess what, given enough money and development time, any game can become really good.

And I am not a hypocrite.  At all.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Seppli
    @Daryl: 

Thx.
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By DystopiaX
    @Seppli said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Seppli said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    So because the game is essentially Zelda with a different combat system, it's something that's never been done before? "
     You definitly haven't played Darksiders then. There is a lot more to it. Having deep combat mechanics and hard 'by the flesh of my teeth' combat encounters adds a lot to the Zelda formula. The deep combat mechanics and the classic console action adventure formula go together so well, that I have to insist, that they belong together... Zelda is lacking in comparison with Darksiders. Also - Zelda was Zelda is Zelda and remains Zelda since it's first conception on the NES. How's Darksiders to blame for being awesome? How is it any less awesome than Zelda? Because it isn't Zelda? You make no fucking sense. "
    the point is that it isn't anything that hasn't been done before. I know you make the argument that it's innovative, but it really isn't. It's like saying Dante's Inferno is innovative because although it looks, feels, and plays exactly like God of War, the story is different and so the gameplay must be different too.  

I am aware that the Dante's Inferno/God of war comparison makes no sense, because your argument doesn't either.  

Also, Darksiders can't be considered a rival to Zelda for microsoft OR sony because Zelda is an exclusive property of Nintendo and Darksiders is multi-platform, meaning that it can't exist as a flagship franchise for either the way franchises like Halo, god of war, mario, and Zelda can for their respective companies. Is Darksiders a good action-adventure game? Yes, but it is neither innovative nor a rival to zelda.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Hailinel
    @Seppli said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Seppli said:
    " @Hailinel said:
     You definitly haven't played Darksiders then. There is a lot more to it. Having deep combat mechanics and hard 'by the flesh of my teeth' combat encounters adds a lot to the Zelda formula. The deep combat mechanics and the classic console action adventure formula go together so well, that I have to insist, that they belong together... Zelda is lacking in comparison with Darksiders. Also - Zelda was Zelda is Zelda and remains Zelda since it's first conception on the NES. How's Darksiders to blame for being awesome? How is it any less awesome than Zelda? Because it isn't Zelda? You make no fucking sense. "
    I actually cackled at that.  Honest-to-god cackled.  Congrats.

While aspects of Zelda have remained the same since the first game, a number of elements have changed and evolved over the years.  And even then, combat has never been the first-and-foremost concept of what makes a Zelda game.  Zelda is as much exploration and puzzle-solving as it is combat, if not moreso.  I can't think of many people that would honestly want a Devil May Cry level of complexity in a Zelda game.

Darksiders is awesome because that is your opinion of it.  I don't see it the same way.  I see a game that wants to be a lot of things; Zelda, Devil May Cry, maybe a little Metroid, with a little bit of WoW's artstyle thrown in.  And frankly, I'm just not that interested in it at all.  The Quick Look didn't exactly win me over, either.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Seppli
    @cstrang said:

" @Seppli said:

Good thing videogames have sharpend my demon slaying skills! *glares at you* *yes... YOU!* "

Oh, you're so fucking clever.  It still does not excuse the fact that you are a fan boy of this game.  You have an obvious bias for it for whatever reason.  You even started calling people names when people said they were speculative about the game before it came out.  I can't listen to a damn word you say because I know it will always have a little bit of uneven "Darksiders iz Teh Kewlest" tone.  And, guess what, given enough money and development time, any game can become really good.  And I am not a hypocrite.  At all. "

Nice selective quoting. Did I hit a sore spot or something?

You certainly seem to be a defender of all things 'original' calling me a fanboy, which makes you more of a fanboy and hypocrite than I could ever be rooting for just another 'copycat' game.

It's not clever to be right. It's righteous.
    TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By TheFreeMan

Thread turned to into a shitstorm at a remarkably fast rate.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By cstrang
    @Seppli said:
    " @cstrang said:
    " @Seppli said:

Oh, you're so fucking clever.  It still does not excuse the fact that you are a fan boy of this game.  You have an obvious bias for it for whatever reason.  You even started calling people names when people said they were speculative about the game before it came out.  I can't listen to a damn word you say because I know it will always have a little bit of uneven "Darksiders iz Teh Kewlest" tone.  And, guess what, given enough money and development time, any game can become really good.  And I am not a hypocrite.  At all. "
     Nice selective quoting. Did I hit a sore spot or something?  You certainly seem to be a defender of all things 'original' calling me a fanboy, which makes you more of a fanboy and hypocrite than I could ever be rooting for just another 'copycat' game. "
    I never uttered the word "originality"/"original" in this thread.  Your calling me a hypocrite is completely unfounded.  It's pretty clear you're that just blindly attacking people now, hoping to get into arguments.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Seppli
    @cstrang said:
    " @Seppli said:
    " @cstrang said:
    " @Seppli said:

Nice selective quoting. Did I hit a sore spot or something?  You certainly seem to be a defender of all things 'original' calling me a fanboy, which makes you more of a fanboy and hypocrite than I could ever be rooting for just another 'copycat' game. "
    I never uttered the word "originality"/"original" in this thread.  Your calling me a hypocrite is completely unfounded.  It's pretty clear you're that just blindly attacking people now, hoping to get into arguments. "

Then thanks for nothing. Really enjoyed how you just showed up to contribute a derogatory 'You're a fanboy' comment. Douche!
    cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By cstrang
    @Seppli: And with arguments like these, you are doing nothing to disprove my claim.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Seppli
    @DystopiaX said:

" @Seppli said:

" @Hailinel said:

" @Seppli said:

" @Hailinel said:

the point is that it isn't anything that hasn't been done before. I know you make the argument that it's innovative, but it really isn't. It's like saying Dante's Inferno is innovative because although it looks, feels, and plays exactly like God of War, the story is different and so the gameplay must be different too.   I am aware that the Dante's Inferno/God of war comparison makes no sense, because your argument doesn't either.   Also, Darksiders can't be considered a rival to Zelda for microsoft OR sony because Zelda is an exclusive property of Nintendo and Darksiders is multi-platform, meaning that it can't exist as a flagship franchise for either the way franchises like Halo, god of war, mario, and Zelda can for their respective companies. Is Darksiders a good action-adventure game? Yes, but it is neither innovative nor a rival to zelda. "

Of course it's a rival to Zelda. It's virtually the same game. Only with different artstyle and flavor, as well as a much deeper combat and upgrade system. The different console platforms are rivals. So are the console exclusives. I did suggest in my opening post that either Sony or Microsoft lack a stong franchise to rival Nintendo's Zelda and Metroid franchises.

The contribution made by the commenters on this thread suggests that Darksiders isn't a viable competitor to Zelda, because it's a carbon copy of it - which is a big pile of dung. Bullshit. Bollocks. Ignorant hypocrisy squared.

If Darksiders is such a blatant copy of Zelda, why wouldn't it be a rival and competitor for the genre's crown and a good candidate for a console exclusive franchise, placed as a 'Zelda-Killer' - so to speak?
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Seppli
    @cstrang said:
    " @Seppli: And with arguments like these, you are doing nothing to disprove my claim. "
    I own Darksiders. I finished Darksiders. I love Darksiders. I wish for more iterations of Darksiders. I wish Vigil Games all the success in the world.

Hell yeah - I'm a fan of Darksiders and a tad bit biased.

What's your fucking problem? Other than being a dick for no reason? GTFO and STFU. Douche!
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Hailinel
    @Seppli: Just who is being the hypocrite here?  No one is saying that Darksiders is a carbon copy of Zelda.  Several of us have noted differences between Darksiders and Zelda.  It's just that the game really isn't anything that special.  Being similar to Zelda in certain ways while featuring a different combat system does not make it either an equal of or superior to Zelda by default.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Seppli
    @Hailinel said:
    " @Seppli: Just who is being the hypocrite here?  No one is saying that Darksiders is a carbon copy of Zelda.  Several of us have noted differences between Darksiders and Zelda.  It's just that the game really isn't anything that special.  Being similar to Zelda in certain ways while featuring a different combat system does not make it either an equal of or superior to Zelda by default. "

So Zelda is special?

And Darksiders isn't special - because it's just like Zelda?

Either you suck at math and logic or I suck at understanding human emotion.

Anyways, your argument makes no fucking sense to me.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By ajamafalous
    @TheFreeMan said:
    " Thread turned to into a shitstorm at a remarkably fast rate. "
    This. OP seems to just be picking fights.
    Aetos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By Aetos

The combat in Darksiders is a bit different than in a Zelda game, so I don't think it is a carbon copy. It does share some similarities however. 
     Either way the game looks interesting and I will pry pick it up sometime later this year. 

Also this thread kinda dissolved into maddness. People need to calm down.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DystopiaX
    @Seppli: i have a good reason for you: 
    this game is not as good as ANY entry in the zelda series. 
    Because i know you'll say it's just me, and everyone has their own opinions, and such, i'm going to be preemptive and just say that i'm not the only one who thinks that Darksiders isn't as good as Zelda. Plenty of people here, on other forums, and in reviews say that it tries to take things from zelda, and while they work, they work better in Zelda or did nothing to improve on the zelda formula, 

Darksiders is not a rival to Zelda not because it's a carbon copy (although that's part of the reason), but simply because Darksiders is not as good.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Seppli
    @ajamafalous said:
    " @TheFreeMan said:
    This. OP seems to just be picking fights. "

What else can I do, if all the commenters are people who disregard Darksiders for being a blatant clone of this of that game.

I'm pretty sure everybody who played Darksiders, who has an affinity for classic console action adventures such as Zelda or Legacy of Kain will agree.

Darksiders 2 could be placed as 'Zelda-Killer' and 'Killer Application' for the next generation of console hardware - just because Darksiders is that good a copy of Zelda's time-proven formula.

But hell - agreeing seems not to be fun. So just take a fucking dump in this thread as you fucking please. Thank you.
    zigaroo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By zigaroo

The need, or want, to compare a game to successors appears to be a relatively easy way to get no where. Why not allow the game be what it is? Why is it imperitive to say, "Oh well this has already been done." Well, quite honestly, it's going to be hard to create a completely brand new innovative idea that will be a guaranteed success. There's a good reason why Vigil looked at the formula's that made previous games successful and said, "Lets take this idea and apply it in our own world."---because it works! It's an easy way to tap into a successful business model and make a quick buck because chances are, people who were into Zelda, Metroid, whatever, will see Darksiders and say, "Yeah, this is what I loved before, I should love it again!" And you know what? This is what I've seen, experienced, and this is the reason why Darksiders is selling.

Does Darksiders have an interseting world to build upon? Sure, it does, enough for a sequel and DLC. Is it enough to immediately spin it off into twenty different variety's? No, not really. Vigil will need to take what it's learned to create something more of its own to truly build something new for themselves.

Oh and, for the record, I cringed when I read the comparison of Darksiders artwork to WoW. Never again! :)

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Hailinel
    @Seppli said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Seppli: Just who is being the hypocrite here?  No one is saying that Darksiders is a carbon copy of Zelda.  Several of us have noted differences between Darksiders and Zelda.  It's just that the game really isn't anything that special.  Being similar to Zelda in certain ways while featuring a different combat system does not make it either an equal of or superior to Zelda by default. "
     So Zelda is special?  And Darksiders isn't special - because it's just like Zelda?  Either you suck at math and logic or I suck at understanding human emotion.  Anyways, your argument makes no fucking sense to me. "
    Given the critical acclaim the series has received over the years and the number of innovations that the games have introduced over the years, not to mention the consistently high level of quality of the games, then yes, Zelda could be considered special.  The Zelda series as a whole is something that has earned its place in gaming history.

By contrast, Darksiders is but one game that has yet to prove itself at market that does very little to stand out on its own.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Seppli
    @DystopiaX said:
    " @Seppli: i have a good reason for you: this game is not as good as ANY entry in the zelda series. Because i know you'll say it's just me, and everyone has their own opinions, and such, i'm going to be preemptive and just say that i'm not the only one who thinks that Darksiders isn't as good as Zelda. Plenty of people here, on other forums, and in reviews say that it tries to take things from zelda, and while they work, they work better in Zelda or did nothing to improve on the zelda formula,  Darksiders is not a rival to Zelda not because it's a carbon copy (although that's part of the reason), but simply because Darksiders is not as good. "

Did you play Darksiders for yourself? Do you love Zelda? If either answer to any of these questions is no, all you're doing is adding hot air to the discussion without any ground for having a valid opinion on the subject at hand.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Hailinel
    @Seppli said:
    " @ajamafalous said:
    " @TheFreeMan said:
     What else can I do, if all the commenters are people who disregard Darksiders for being a blatant clone of this of that game.  I'm pretty sure everybody who played Darksiders, who has an affinity for classic console action adventures such as Zelda or Legacy of Kain will agree.  Darksiders 2 could be placed as 'Zelda-Killer' and 'Killer Application' for the next generation of console hardware - just because Darksiders is that good a copy of Zelda's time-proven formula.  But hell - agreeing seems not to be fun. So just take a fucking dump in this thread as you fucking please. Thank you. "
    Then spend more time expounding on the qualities of what Darksiders does well in your eyes and less time being defensive.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Seppli
    @Hailinel said:
    " @Seppli said:
    " @ajamafalous said:
    " @TheFreeMan said:
     What else can I do, if all the commenters are people who disregard Darksiders for being a blatant clone of this of that game.  I'm pretty sure everybody who played Darksiders, who has an affinity for classic console action adventures such as Zelda or Legacy of Kain will agree.  Darksiders 2 could be placed as 'Zelda-Killer' and 'Killer Application' for the next generation of console hardware - just because Darksiders is that good a copy of Zelda's time-proven formula.  But hell - agreeing seems not to be fun. So just take a fucking dump in this thread as you fucking please. Thank you. "
    Then spend more time expounding on the qualities of what Darksiders does well in your eyes and less time being defensive. "

I've a user review up, if you care about my opinion on Darksiders. As I said before. This thread doesn't really work for people who haven't played Darksiders and those who do/did, won't have much to discuss about, because they'd agree with me to some extent.

So I've created a fail-thread. Sue me!
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Hailinel
    @Seppli said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Seppli said:
    " @ajamafalous said:
    " @TheFreeMan said:
    Then spend more time expounding on the qualities of what Darksiders does well in your eyes and less time being defensive. "
     I've a user review up, if you care about my opinion on Darksiders. As I said before. This thread doesn't really work for people who haven't played Darksiders and those who do/did, won't have much to discuss about, because they'd agree with me to some extent.  So I've created a fail-thread. Sue me! "
    If people that play the game agree with you, maybe they should respond to indicate as such before you make that assertion.
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By Snail
    @DystopiaX said:
    " the point is that it isn't anything that hasn't been done before. I know you make the argument that it's innovative, but it really isn't. It's like saying Dante's Inferno is innovative because although it looks, feels, and plays exactly like God of War, the story is different and so the gameplay must be different too.   I am aware that the Dante's Inferno/God of war comparison makes no sense, because your argument doesn't either.   Also, Darksiders can't be considered a rival to Zelda for microsoft OR sony because Zelda is an exclusive property of Nintendo and Darksiders is multi-platform, meaning that it can't exist as a flagship franchise for either the way franchises like Halo, god of war, mario, and Zelda can for their respective companies. Is Darksiders a good action-adventure game? Yes, but it is neither innovative nor a rival to zelda. "
    What are you saying? That the game is not innovative?

If you do not consider it innovative at least grant it points for its originality. Your claims that Darksiders is to Zelda as Dante's Inferno is to God of War are beyond pathetic, but you acknowledge that, so I will not bash you for it. But the rant that follows is, in any case applicable.

I, myself, have played quite a bit of the preview version (not demo, Preview version) of Dante's Inferno, and it has the same control scheme, same gameplay, same nudity, and even the story bares its resemblances, not to mention its religious setting to replace a mythological one. This game crosses the "inspiration" frontier and delves into the realm of plagiarism. Darksiders, however, is the merging of two completely different franchises, The Legend of Zelda and, arguably Devil May Cry (or God of War, for that matter). Just the fact that the developers came up with such an ambitious idea and made it work is venerable, and should be praised as original. The game isn't really innovative per se, but it is certainly different from many other hack n' slash games we have seen. And even if not innovative, the game is, at the very least, built upon a very original formula.

Granted that the OP is an idiot, and a fanboy, for saying that it is a rival to Zelda. The game is arguably a rival to Bayonetta, if anything, much like inFAMOUS and Prototype were rivals to each other about the same time last year. But your argument is not very good. It is not only the fact that it is a multi-platform installment that makes it a non-rival of Zelda, but the fact that it does not even appeal to the same audience, to begin with.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Seppli
    @Snail said:

" @DystopiaX said:

" the point is that it isn't anything that hasn't been done before. I know you make the argument that it's innovative, but it really isn't. It's like saying Dante's Inferno is innovative because although it looks, feels, and plays exactly like God of War, the story is different and so the gameplay must be different too.   I am aware that the Dante's Inferno/God of war comparison makes no sense, because your argument doesn't either.   Also, Darksiders can't be considered a rival to Zelda for microsoft OR sony because Zelda is an exclusive property of Nintendo and Darksiders is multi-platform, meaning that it can't exist as a flagship franchise for either the way franchises like Halo, god of war, mario, and Zelda can for their respective companies. Is Darksiders a good action-adventure game? Yes, but it is neither innovative nor a rival to zelda. "

What are you saying? That the game is not innovative?   If you do not consider it innovative at least grant it points for its originality. Your claims that Darksiders is to Zelda as Dante's Inferno is to God of War are beyond pathetic, but you acknowledge that, so I will not bash you for it. But the rant that follows is, in any case applicable.   I, myself, have played quite a bit of the preview version (not demo, Preview version) of Dante's Inferno, and it has the same control scheme, same gameplay, same nudity, and even the story bares its resemblances, not to mention its religious setting to replace a mythological one. This game crosses the "inspiration" frontier and delves into the realm of plagiarism. Darksiders, however, is the merging of two completely different franchises, The Legend of Zelda and, arguably Devil May Cry (or God of War, for that matter). Just the fact that the developers came up with such an ambitious idea and made it work is venerable, and should be praised as original. The game isn't really innovative per se, but it is certainly different from many other hack n' slash games we have seen. And even if not innovative, the game is, at the very least, built upon a very original formula.  Granted that the OP is an idiot, and a fanboy, for saying that it is a rival to Zelda. The game is arguably a rival to Bayonetta, if anything, much like inFAMOUS and Prototype were rivals to each other about the same time last year. But your argument is not very good. It is not only the fact that it is a multi-platform installment that makes it a non-rival of Zelda, but the fact that it does not even appeal to the same audience, to begin with. "

Darksiders is certainly closer to Zelda than Bayonetta or any other hack 'n slash game of recent years.

Of course Darksiders appeals to the same audience as Zelda. How many people love Zelda, yet secretly wish it wasn't 'Nintendo' cutsie and had deeper combat mechanics and a real upgrade system?

Just look at this artwork the Pennyarcade guys made for their Darksiders themed comic strip...

Who's a idiot now? Beefcake Zelda FTW!
     Who's a idiot now? Beefcake Zelda FTW!

Don't we all wish the real Link was a lot more like this artwork than the real thing? Fuck Nintendo's pointy-eared Ladyboy-Link! I want War-Link... and that's what Darksiders is for.

A picture says more than a 1000 words. I hope now you see what I mean.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Hailinel
    @Seppli: No, no I don't.  The art was not made because Tycho and Gabe want Link to be like that.  They're making fun of the fact that Darksiders uses so many elements of Zelda games.  They like the game, but they're also fully aware of how derivative it is.
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#40  Edited By Shadow

bull.  Shit.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Seppli
    @Hailinel said:

" @Seppli: No, no I don't.  The art was not made because Tycho and Gabe want Link to be like that.  They're making fun of the fact that Darksiders uses so many elements of Zelda games.  They like the game, but they're also fully aware of how derivative it is. "

Yet the picture is more enticing than any real Zelda artwork. Too bad Link will never grow up to be a kick-ass Warrior like this Pennyarcade mockup.

Also - what in the hell does the content of Gabe and Tycho's comicstip have to do with my posting? I like that artwork better than I like the real Link. And Darksiders feels exactly how that artwork looks. Buffed Zelda. Beefcake Zelda. However you want to take it. That's what I said. Nothing else.

You have entirely missed the fucking point.
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By jkz

I'm not going to take sides here beyond saying this: If you haven't played Darksiders, don't base your opinion of it off of gameplay videos and the quick-look. The quick-look was quite literally one of only two-three places in the game where they have those shitty "arena challenges." Secondly, the game, contrary to what many think, is more than half exploration. You can view your time playing versus your time in combat, and I'm sitting at around 8 hours of game-play and 2 hours of combat. 

I'm not here to say that this is a soon-to-be "super-franchise," but it has been getting a lot of flack from people who are basing their opinions of the game off of a couple short videos.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By cstrang

This guy just wants to argue.  He doesn't care about the quality of Darksiders or its comparison to Zelda or DMC games, he just wants to piss people off, call them names, and try to pad out his post count.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Hailinel
    @Seppli said:
    " @Hailinel said:

" @Seppli: No, no I don't.  The art was not made because Tycho and Gabe want Link to be like that.  They're making fun of the fact that Darksiders uses so many elements of Zelda games.  They like the game, but they're also fully aware of how derivative it is. "

Yet the picture is more enticing than any real Zelda artwork. Too bad Link will never grow up to be a kick-ass Warrior like this Pennyarcade mockup.  Also - what in the hell does the content of Gabe and Tycho's comicstip have to do with my posting? I like that artwork better than I like the real Link. That's what I said. Nothing else.  You have entirely missed the fucking point. "
    That artwork is a single panel from their most recent strip, so yes, it is relevant to my point:

No Caption Provided

You're slinging insults without knowing what the hell you're talking about.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Seppli
    @Hailinel said:

" @Seppli said:

" @Hailinel said:

Yet the picture is more enticing than any real Zelda artwork. Too bad Link will never grow up to be a kick-ass Warrior like this Pennyarcade mockup.  Also - what in the hell does the content of Gabe and Tycho's comicstip have to do with my posting? I like that artwork better than I like the real Link. That's what I said. Nothing else.  You have entirely missed the fucking point. "
    That artwork is a single panel from their most recent strip, so yes, it is relevant to my point:

No Caption Provided
    You're slinging insults without knowing what the hell you're talking about. "

So pointing out that you entirely missed the point of my posting is suddenly a fucking insult? What the fuck  is wrong with you? Getting the sissy-fits from a little foul language or what?

There is absolutely no context of my posting with the Pennyarcade strip, other than the artwork is taken from it. Beefcake Link perfectly describes everthing Darksiders is. I like Beefcake Link better than Nintendo's original Ladyboy Link.

Seriously... and even in the context of the comicstrip - Beefcake Link stands for Darksiders, because that's what Darksiders is - BUFFED, BEEFCAKE ZELDA.

So what do you want to say again? Enlighten me.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Hailinel
    @Seppli: If buffed, beef-cake Link is all Darksiders has going for it to differentiate it from Zelda, that doesn't make it a good game.
    TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By TheGremp

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that OP is 12 at most. Kids tend to think that almost every game they play is TOTALLY AWESOME and DA BEST GAME EVAR! So I suggest that we just move along... He'll be freaking out about a new game in a week or two.

Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Goly

my god calm down man, it's just a fucking game.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Seppli
    @Hailinel said:

" @Seppli: If buffed, beef-cake Link is all Darksiders has going for it to differentiate it from Zelda, that doesn't make it a good game. "

But it does. Because I love Zelda. Beefcake Link siginifies a buffed, beefcake-y-fied version of Zelda's gameplay.

I love Darksiders even more than Zelda, because it's buffed Beefcake Link and not Nintendo's original Ladyboy Link.

Don't you get it? Darksiders is in fact Zelda. It may not be mechanically better, but it's at least just as good.

I guess you won't get it, unless you play it for yourself.
    spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#50  Edited By spacetrucking

I think Uncharted 2 has proven that being derivative is not always a bad thing if your execution is up to par. I haven't played Darksiders yet but the reviews sounds very similar in tone to how Uncharted 1 was received i.e. a good game with a lot of potential that could really use a sequel by refining the same ideas. Depending on how this game sells, I won't be surprised we get a sequel in this generation itself. It certainly has a market since there aren't many good games that follow the Zelda model of puzzle solving/adventure on the X360/PS3. The old adage of "Imitation is the best form of flattery" is certainly true here and I don't understand the animosity from the Zelda fans.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.