Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Darksiders

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 05, 2010

Developed by Vigil Games, Darksiders puts players in control of War, one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, as he attempts to find out who caused a premature Apocalypse while battling both Angels and Demons on a dead Earth.

Darksiders Review

soapofdurden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

Edited By soapofdurden

Make no mistake; Darksiders is born straight from the Zelda mold. Boomerang, hookshot, horse riding, block puzzles – all present and accounted for. Vigil has simply taken the formula several steps forward by adding a true combat system, something the Zelda series has always been desperately missing, and a healthy smattering of Metroid-like exploration. The world is spread out and interconnected between dungeons by series’ of tunnels and open areas. Think Metroid Prime’s Tallon over world and you get a very good idea of what to expect. Fast travel makes world traversal quick. The Metroid similarities don’t end there, though. As you move from dungeon to dungeon, if you explore, you’ll find nooks and crannies filled with upgrades, armor pieces, souls to be used for currency and many other secrets. Most of these places and prizes you won’t able to reach until you acquire a specific tool from inside one of Darksiders’ many dungeons.  

The dungeons in Darksiders are filled with enemies and puzzles, although there’s a strong influence on the latter. Some of the puzzles are standard fare but for the most part Darksiders will have you thinking in ways you might not be used to. I was never stuck for more than a few minutes on any one puzzle but I consistently felt challenged – truly a testament to how much Vigil nailed the risk versus reward balance that most games fall flat on. War and the player are constantly rewarded in a few different ways. Within the dungeons there is always one big tool that you will acquire and use throughout the rest of the game. Darksiders manages to avoid the fire and forget mentality of giving you a cool new toy and then making it completely obsolete a small time later. Everything you get has multiple purposes and with a few exceptions, War’s arsenal is well balanced. Weapons, spells, and armor can be upgraded through either exploration or by bartering enemy souls with a particular slimy demon merchant named Volgrim.

Darksiders is a very nice looking game. The art style may not be your cup of tea, but there’s no doubting the technical skill of Vigil’s team. Much of Earth looks like your typical post-apocalyptic vistas but thankfully Darksiders manages to imbue many more colors than brown, gray, and black and most of the environments feel unique within the world. For that alone it deserves thanks. They are some minor screen tearing issues on the 360 and the frame rate dips in some spots but both are minor blemishes on an otherwise solid visual package. You won’t find yourself humming any Darksiders tunes as much of the soundtrack is forgettable, but the voice acting is above average and the sound palate really gives some punch to the action on screen.

War controls quite well. I almost never found myself on the losing end of a battle or falling to my death for faults other than my own. The camera behaves for the most part – only occasionally getting out of control when squeezed into a corner. Dodge and AOE are your best friend in combat. There are a lot of times where you'll either be dashing around like a madman evading attacks or spamming AOE because you're surrounded. You CAN button mash your way through the combat but if you really nail linking combos together you'll feel and play a lot better. As a plus, almost every dungeon tool you find has a use in combat, expanding War’s ability to smash, slash, and blast the hell out of anything he comes across.

So, why should you get Darksiders? The combat is good – but not great. The story is well thought out and acted – but nothing special. Really, it’s the puzzle nature of the dungeon crawling and the Metroid-like exploration of the over world that will allow you to look past those trifles and have you coming back for more. You’ll be spending hours scouring and backtracking to see what new paths open up for you as your skill set upgrades and grows. Darksiders may not be the most charming game ever made but it’s melding of hack ‘n slash and dungeon crawler give to a proper evolution of the action-adventure genre.

soapofdurden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By soapofdurden

Make no mistake; Darksiders is born straight from the Zelda mold. Boomerang, hookshot, horse riding, block puzzles – all present and accounted for. Vigil has simply taken the formula several steps forward by adding a true combat system, something the Zelda series has always been desperately missing, and a healthy smattering of Metroid-like exploration. The world is spread out and interconnected between dungeons by series’ of tunnels and open areas. Think Metroid Prime’s Tallon over world and you get a very good idea of what to expect. Fast travel makes world traversal quick. The Metroid similarities don’t end there, though. As you move from dungeon to dungeon, if you explore, you’ll find nooks and crannies filled with upgrades, armor pieces, souls to be used for currency and many other secrets. Most of these places and prizes you won’t able to reach until you acquire a specific tool from inside one of Darksiders’ many dungeons.  

The dungeons in Darksiders are filled with enemies and puzzles, although there’s a strong influence on the latter. Some of the puzzles are standard fare but for the most part Darksiders will have you thinking in ways you might not be used to. I was never stuck for more than a few minutes on any one puzzle but I consistently felt challenged – truly a testament to how much Vigil nailed the risk versus reward balance that most games fall flat on. War and the player are constantly rewarded in a few different ways. Within the dungeons there is always one big tool that you will acquire and use throughout the rest of the game. Darksiders manages to avoid the fire and forget mentality of giving you a cool new toy and then making it completely obsolete a small time later. Everything you get has multiple purposes and with a few exceptions, War’s arsenal is well balanced. Weapons, spells, and armor can be upgraded through either exploration or by bartering enemy souls with a particular slimy demon merchant named Volgrim.

Darksiders is a very nice looking game. The art style may not be your cup of tea, but there’s no doubting the technical skill of Vigil’s team. Much of Earth looks like your typical post-apocalyptic vistas but thankfully Darksiders manages to imbue many more colors than brown, gray, and black and most of the environments feel unique within the world. For that alone it deserves thanks. They are some minor screen tearing issues on the 360 and the frame rate dips in some spots but both are minor blemishes on an otherwise solid visual package. You won’t find yourself humming any Darksiders tunes as much of the soundtrack is forgettable, but the voice acting is above average and the sound palate really gives some punch to the action on screen.

War controls quite well. I almost never found myself on the losing end of a battle or falling to my death for faults other than my own. The camera behaves for the most part – only occasionally getting out of control when squeezed into a corner. Dodge and AOE are your best friend in combat. There are a lot of times where you'll either be dashing around like a madman evading attacks or spamming AOE because you're surrounded. You CAN button mash your way through the combat but if you really nail linking combos together you'll feel and play a lot better. As a plus, almost every dungeon tool you find has a use in combat, expanding War’s ability to smash, slash, and blast the hell out of anything he comes across.

So, why should you get Darksiders? The combat is good – but not great. The story is well thought out and acted – but nothing special. Really, it’s the puzzle nature of the dungeon crawling and the Metroid-like exploration of the over world that will allow you to look past those trifles and have you coming back for more. You’ll be spending hours scouring and backtracking to see what new paths open up for you as your skill set upgrades and grows. Darksiders may not be the most charming game ever made but it’s melding of hack ‘n slash and dungeon crawler give to a proper evolution of the action-adventure genre.

ArcLyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ArcLyte

thanks for this. can't wait.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TheFreeMan

Nice review.

Looking forward to when this game hits stores.

applet0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By applet0n

Thanks for the review mate, I'll probably just rent the game and see what I think.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mordukai
    @applet0n said:
    " Thanks for the review mate, I'll probably just rent the game and see what I think. "
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By JJOR64

The game does look pretty sweet.  To bad it comes out the same week as Bayonetta.

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Toxin066

Well written review, and thanks for doing it. Darksiders is on my radar.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#8  Edited By Yummylee

Noice, with a strong aspect of exploration it looks all the more worth for full price for me.
    matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By matthew
    @soapofdurden said:
    " You’ll be spending hours scouring and backtracking to see what new paths open up for you as your skill set upgrades and grows."
    Perfect.  Not that I'm overly interested in the game, but more Vigil.  If they nailed this aspect of the game now, then in a couple years when the Warhammer 40k mmo hits, that'll be one aspect of the game I won't have to worry about. 
    Sorry, I'm just really interested in how they pull off such a massive universe that is 40k.
    Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Meltac

Good review, and it definitely made me more interested in the game. Still a bit unsure whether to get it now, or wait some time though.

Fei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Fei

Im buying this game Tuesday along with Bayonetta at Toys R Us to get a 40 dollar gift card.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ninjakiller

Cautiously optimistic about this game.  The trailer looks super sweet.

DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By DukeTogo

It sounds like how I was hoping Brutal Legend was going to play.  I'll probably pick it up once I see some more feedback on the combat.

soapofdurden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By soapofdurden

Of note, I finished the game in 12 hours and spent another 4-5 post game exploring with no strategy guides. It's not long, and I think that'll help you guys decide between rental and sale.

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By ttocs

Nice review.  Thanks.  I wouldn't mind playing a Zelda like game that isn't Zelda...could be refreshing.  I just hope that by buying this game instead of Bayonetta, I don't regret it.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Scooper

This has been a real sleeper for me, haven't seen any coverage for it but from what I've seen and read it's got me super interested... it's a game I'm certain to pick up when I get a bit of spare scrilla.

Avatar image for sandwich_adjustment
    sandwich_adjustment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

what would you say about them developing the warhammer 40k mmo after darksiders? 

soapofdurden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By soapofdurden

I'd say, given their track record, that I don't expect it to be an amazing game by any means. I'm sure it will have one or two big draws but it'll likely be pretty meh overall. Then again, their's not much about Darksiders that I see as relevant to a (typicial) MMO so it could surprise everyone!

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ttocs
    @sandwich_adjustment said:
    " what would you say about them developing the warhammer 40k mmo after darksiders?  "
    I think it would be pretty cool to see them do it.  The art style in this game is awesome.  If they get the tech figured out and really put forth their best work, you'd have one hell of a game.  But that's just art style...there's a lot more that goes into an MMO and they are going to have to visit the school of Blizzard in order to compete.
    ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ttocs
    @sandwich_adjustment said:
    " what would you say about them developing the warhammer 40k mmo after darksiders?  "
    I think it would be pretty cool to see them do it.  The art style in this game is awesome.  If they get the tech figured out and really put forth their best work, you'd have one hell of a game.  But that's just art style...there's a lot more that goes into an MMO and they are going to have to visit the school of Blizzard in order to compete.
    Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By Alphiehyr

I lack the will to read through that block of crap just to find the rating.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ryanwho

Zelda's combat is way more rewarding. Unless your idea of a reward is fighting things by the boatload with little challenge. In which case maybe you should just stop lying to yourself and play Dynasty Warriors.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.