Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Darksiders

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 05, 2010

Developed by Vigil Games, Darksiders puts players in control of War, one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, as he attempts to find out who caused a premature Apocalypse while battling both Angels and Demons on a dead Earth.

GB Community Thoughts On Darksiders? (no spoilers)

citizenjp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By citizenjp

Strictly opinion. Just seeing what everyone thinks of the game so far. I'm 8 hours in and I'm loving every bit of it and can't wait to run through it again on Apocalyptic. So yeah, I totally love the main character, combat is fast and fun, and the environments are awesome to look at. I probably have to say one of my favorite aspects of the game are the Zelda-esque dungeons and puzzles. A little frustrating but nothing that can't be done. Also did anyone preorder the game and get the Harvester Scythe? I didn't preorder it but Gamestop gave me someone's preorder copy by mistake lol so that was cool. But yeah I think it's a cool weapon, but obviously I prefer the Chaoseater.

mordecaix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By mordecaix7
    @CitizenJP said:
    "Also did anyone preorder the game and get the Harvester Scythe? "
    Everyone gets the Harvester.  The code is the same for every game. 

And yes, Darksiders freaking rules.
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Rhaknar

ill tell you tuesday when mine arrives, but this is one of those games that i know for sure ill love from everything ive seen (its my second most wanted game this year lol). I really cant wait

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By ProfessorEss

It's pretty awesome.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By jkz

I started out on Normal and I was getting the feeling that it wasn't quite deep enough; restarted on Apocalyptic and damn....does it make a difference. The fact that you actually need to dodge/block/counter makes the game just that much deeper, and I'm just getting into the open world stuff, meaning the game's just opening up.

citizenjp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By citizenjp
    @mordecaix7: 
    Hm lol I didnt know that heh...thanks for clarifying. :P
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By mordukai

I love the combat, it's simple and very fluid. I also like the art style very much, full of colors and so vibrant. The level design is also very good and you can see the love that the dev team put in it. Kudos to Vigil as Darksiders is their first game. If they keep this up then I expect more goodies from them in the future. 

citizenjp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By citizenjp
    @Mordukai: 
    Yeah defs. Props to Vigil, if they ever make a 2nd Darksiders I bet it's gonna be 10 times better. :P
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Rhaknar
    @Mordukai said:
    " I love the combat, it's simple and very fluid. I also like the art style very much, full of colors and so vibrant. The level design is also very good and you can see the love that the dev team put in it. Kudos to Vigil as Darksiders is their first game. If they keep this up then I expect more goodies from them in the future.  "
    unfortunately, and i hope im wrong, the game will tank since every site and mag gushes over bayonetta, and most people think they are the same style of game. Hell, look at the comments on the quicklook..."game looks boring and repetitive" over and over. I guess if you showed a quicklook of a Zelda game with Link just killing monsters with his only sword slash he has, it would look boring and repetitive too. Again, I hope Im wrong and it sells well enough for sequels
    citizenjp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By citizenjp

Eehh I'm sick of this game getting compared to Bayonetta. 2 totally different games. It's like God of War vs. DMC, they're just different and it doesn't make it worse or anything. I honestly played Bayonetta and I really didnt think it was all that sweet, I mean it's good but I just hate the character and I honestly would rather play DMC instead.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @Rhaknar said:
    I guess if you showed a quicklook of a Zelda game with Link just killing monsters with his only sword slash he has, it would look boring and repetitive too.
    I bet you could have the exact same quick look with a Zelda skin pulled over it and people would be gushing over it's awesomeness. :P
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ProfessorEss

Let's wait and see what happens.
    Even tho it's getting a lot of that "like Bayonetta but not as good" I still see a lot of people on forums talking about, and playing this game. 

mordecaix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mordecaix7
    @Rhaknar said:
    "Hell, look at the comments on the quicklook..."game looks boring and repetitive" over and over. I guess if you showed a quicklook of a Zelda game with Link just killing monsters with his only sword slash he has, it would look boring and repetitive too. Again, I hope Im wrong and it sells well enough for sequels "
    Yeah and I'm a little worried about that!  I want to see Vigil make more games.  Darksiders is a quality game and deserves people's time.  There are some people defending the game in the quicklook thread and even saying this quick look wasn't handled well and has a little bit of incorrect information.  Is it too much to ask to play the game for a few hours before recording a quick look?
    ApolloJ85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By ApolloJ85

Game is freakin' awesome. I just wish the x360 version didn't have the screen tearing and frame rate drops, those flaws are too obvious to pass over.

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By DanielJW

I have it on PS3, I'm loving it a lot.

citizenjp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By citizenjp

I havent really experienced alot of frame rate issues, I have seen a bit of screen tearing though. Other than it's been running fine from what I've experienced.

shulinchung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By shulinchung
    @Rhaknar:
    Really? There is no question that these two games are definitely going to cannibalize each other's audience even though they belong to slightly different genre. However,  I was more worried about Bayonetta..... 
    All my friends around me are hyped by Darksider. The game basically has no similar game competitor on 360, even on PS3(some may argue that God of War is its competitor, but I feel GOW is actually closer to Bayonetta) As for Bayonetta, a lot of people I know think Bayonetta is just a DMC clone. 
    Bayonetta is designed with Asian/Japaness market in mind. However, currently, 360 is still the least popular console here, and a lot of people interested in Bayonetta are detered by the inferior performance and media score of PS3 version. 
    It sells poorly in Japan. And I am afraid that its crazy Japaness style is going to put off a lot of western audience. /__\ 

I was really worried that "inFamous and Prototye" thing will happen again. While inFamous recieved better critical response, Prototype just out selled it. Even though prototype is a multi-platform game,  the PS3 version alone out selled inFamous.....
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Rhaknar
    @mordecaix7 said:
    " @Rhaknar said:
    "Hell, look at the comments on the quicklook..."game looks boring and repetitive" over and over. I guess if you showed a quicklook of a Zelda game with Link just killing monsters with his only sword slash he has, it would look boring and repetitive too. Again, I hope Im wrong and it sells well enough for sequels "
    Yeah and I'm a little worried about that!  I want to see Vigil make more games.  Darksiders is a quality game and deserves people's time.  There are some people defending the game in the quicklook thread and even saying this quick look wasn't handled well and has a little bit of incorrect information.  Is it too much to ask to play the game for a few hours before recording a quick look? "
    i have been gushing about this game for months, so ill admit to being a bit biased, but theres lots of little things that have been pissing me off about some of the reviews its getting, especially compared to other games. I had actually planned on doing a topic / semi-rant on this game and others, on the state of big games vs small games in the press, but I just cant be arsed. Ill try to keep it as brief as possible...

Kotaku (and other reviews) mention that the art style can only be enjoyed by 16 year old kids (im 30 and i love it but ok) and yet Bayonetta never had such claims...and its a game where you play a female that gets UNDRESSED in most of her attacks.

Another thing that most mention is that its not original and takes ideas from a bunch of other games...which leads to a big pet peave of mine, the "highlander theory" with games. It seems there can only be ONE game of a certain style, and everything else cant exist. Lets use God Of War and Dante's Inferno as an example. Most comments on Dante's Ive seen say its pointless because of God Of War. Yes, I played the Dante demo, and it Is quite similar, but my question is... if someone likes GOW, wouldnt they want more like it? I guess maybe you cant afford another game, thats fair enough, but should we just dismiss other games because they are similar? But God Of War is the "big name" so it will get the obligatory 9s and 9.5s and what not.

Same for FF13... apart from the (amazing) CGI cut scenes, the actual game graphics look pretty much like any other rpg that came out this gen. Aparently theres not even many towns to visit and whatnot? But I assure you it will get 9s and 10s, where most other rpgs this gen got 7s. 

Big games get big scores, which the majority of the playerbase (which ISNT us) looks at and goes "game A is better than game B I wont buy game B".

Not to mention the games that get huge scores, and then a lot of backlash from online communities. GTA4 and MW2 for example. Speaking of GTA4, the driving in that game, in my opinion, was atrocious, yet reviews said it was good, or in the least that after getting used to it was good. Most reviews of The Saboteur simply said the driving was bad... when in reality, its AT LEAST as good as GTA4's (I actually think its better)

Ill shut up now, im boring myself :P On a final note, im not bashing any game that I mentioned at all. I got bayonetta with darksiders, and i cant wait for both (i loved the bay demo). Im getting GOW3, and FF13, and im sure they will rock. But since im fortunate enough to usually be able to get other "smaller" games, it saddens me that they get such obvious harder times, not just from the consumers, but from the press itself
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By jakob187

I'm 19 hours in on the Apocalyptic difficulty for my first run.  I've got one more shard of the Armageddon Blade to get, but I've also only got two more pieces of the Abyssal Armor to get.  In the end, I'm enjoying the shit out of this game.

citizenjp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By citizenjp
    @jakob187: 
    Nice! Hey how do you get the Armageddon Blade? I found a video though on the locations of the Abyssal Armor. Can you hook me up with a link maybe for the Blade? ;)
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Rhaknar

Can peeps that are playing the game answer a question? I hear normal is too easy and you should play straight into Apocalyptic, but im wondering, is that a HUGE jump in difficulty? Because I usually play my games on normal, im not into the whole "a game has to be rock hard for me to enjoy it" thing. Is it too unforgiving? Cause if so I might still stick to Normal, if theres one thing I hate in games is getting frustrated (I have little time and patience for that to be honest)

citizenjp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By citizenjp
    @Rhaknar: 
    I'm playing Normal and I don't think it's like a push over or anything. It's just right in my opinion and I've died plenty of times lol. If your not careful of course. But I think it's a good difficulty because some situations can get overwhelming.
    mordecaix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mordecaix7
    @Rhaknar said:
    " Can peeps that are playing the game answer a question? I hear normal is too easy and you should play straight into Apocalyptic, but im wondering, is that a HUGE jump in difficulty? Because I usually play my games on normal, im not into the whole "a game has to be rock hard for me to enjoy it" thing. Is it too unforgiving? Cause if so I might still stick to Normal, if theres one thing I hate in games is getting frustrated (I have little time and patience for that to be honest) "
    Stick to normal for now.  Some people are crazy good at action games.  I can be sometimes but I'm finding Darksiders to be kinda hard in parts.  Play at least past the first temple, Twilight Cathedral on normal and see how you feel.  Personally I'm sticking to normal and if you don't like getting frustrated in games, I would definitely stay away from apocalyptic until you've got a good handle on how to use the combat effectively.
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Rhaknar
    @mordecaix7 said:
    " @Rhaknar said:
    " Can peeps that are playing the game answer a question? I hear normal is too easy and you should play straight into Apocalyptic, but im wondering, is that a HUGE jump in difficulty? Because I usually play my games on normal, im not into the whole "a game has to be rock hard for me to enjoy it" thing. Is it too unforgiving? Cause if so I might still stick to Normal, if theres one thing I hate in games is getting frustrated (I have little time and patience for that to be honest) "
    Stick to normal for now.  Some people are crazy good at action games.  I can be sometimes but I'm finding Darksiders to be kinda hard in parts.  Play at least past the first temple, Twilight Cathedral on normal and see how you feel.  Personally I'm sticking to normal and if you don't like getting frustrated in games, I would definitely stay away from apocalyptic until you've got a good handle on how to use the combat effectively. "
    thanks for the info
    Slurpelve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By Slurpelve
    looks like a nice action adventure game, I would rent it.
    ApolloJ85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By ApolloJ85

yeah i'm playing apocalyptic difficulty, and it's very easy to die in one or two hits from the bigger enemies. i only just reached the first boss and i died in about 10 seconds. The combat isn't not overly difficult, it just takes a sense of timing and a lot less button mashing.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#27  Edited By KowalskiManDown
    @CitizenJP said:
    " Eehh I'm sick of this game getting compared to Bayonetta. 2 totally different games. It's like God of War vs. DMC, they're just different and it doesn't make it worse or anything. I honestly played Bayonetta and I really didnt think it was all that sweet, I mean it's good but I just hate the character and I honestly would rather play DMC instead. "
    God of War and DMC have more similarities than Bayonetta and Darksiders do.
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By OmegaPirate

I aint picking this up til the end of the month (broke myself on games already) but im looking forward to it already ^_^

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29  Edited By Seppli

Took me 22 hours to complete it on Apocalyptic. I found about 80% of all hidden chests - so I did a fair amount of backtracking.

Main gripe... no playthrough+, which would be perfect for Darksiders, since you'll never have enough souls to upgrade everything and level all 3 weapons all the way (there's an achievement for that too).

But that's nitpicking. I 'EFFIN LOVE DARKSIDERS! I hope for many, many sequels.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#30  Edited By GunstarRed

Im a tiny bit past the Tiamat battle and I'm really, really enjoying it.  I don't really think the combat is anything special  seeing as most enemies can  be beaten by repeatedly hammering X a lot. Doesn't feel at all like God of war, Devil May Cry or Bayonetta at all because of the brilliantly designed dungeon stuff.  The art and design and voicework all fits the game really, really well... really looking forward to see where the story ends up despite not giving a fuck about any of the characters at all.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By jakob187
    @CitizenJP said:
    " @jakob187:  Nice! Hey how do you get the Armageddon Blade? I found a video though on the locations of the Abyssal Armor. Can you hook me up with a link maybe for the Blade? ;) "
    The blade stuff isn't tough.  You've gotta use the Mask of Shadows for all of them.  Also, remember that you can use the Abyssal Chain to latch onto demonic growths.  That'll help you a little bit when you go to get the shard in The Choking Grounds. 

@Seppli said:
    " Took me 22 hours to complete it on Apocalyptic. I found about 80% of all hidden chests - so I did a fair amount of backtracking.  Main gripe... no playthrough+, which would be perfect for Darksiders, since you'll never have enough souls to upgrade everything and level all 3 weapons all the way (there's an achievement for that too).  But that's nitpicking. I 'EFFIN LOVE DARKSIDERS! I hope for many, many sequels. "
    I really was hoping it had a New Game Plus feature.  Saddens me that it doesn't.  Regardless, I'm leveling all of my weapons by grinding The Choking Grounds and Iron Canopy before I pick up the last shard of the Armageddon Blade, as you have to level up the Chaoseater before you get AB...or you won't get the achievement. 

As far as my overall inventory at the moment goes, I have:  
    • Chaoseater - maxed out level and all levels of skills learned
    • Scythe - level 2 with all level 2 skills
    • Tremor Gauntlet - still the base weapon, but level 2 skills all unlocked
    • All but three sigils.  Missing two regulars and one legendary.  One of the regular ones is Bane, which I haven't bought yet.
    • Level 2 on all spells (Armorskin, Immolation, Affliction, Blade Geyser)
    • 8/10 Abyssal Armor Pieces located
    • 6/7 Armageddon Blade shards located
    • 8 Lifestones
    • 5 Wrath Cores

Yeah, I'm doing pretty alright in that game right now at 19 hours.  Unfortunately, I won't get to play again until Sunday night.  Sadface...
    citizenjp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By citizenjp
    @creamypies: 
    And thats why ppl need to stop comparing it! :P
    I dno...obviously they're different but it just bothers me when ppl put games down strictly through comparison to another of totally different standards.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.