Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Darksiders

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 05, 2010

Developed by Vigil Games, Darksiders puts players in control of War, one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, as he attempts to find out who caused a premature Apocalypse while battling both Angels and Demons on a dead Earth.

I just finished the Darksiders demo...

sopachuco13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

Edited By sopachuco13

and it was really good. I didn't really pay much attention to the story, there was too little to mention. I don't know if this is true of the main game or just the demo. I know that we have one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse and he is killing other demons. The demon at the end of the demo tries to buy him off, but “we ain't havin' that.” Even with the unmentionable story the game was very likable. 

The art of the game is more metal than apocalyptic. The monsters look really good and the main character looks really cool. The environments are pretty demented, but they are really colorful. The game shares a color palette with God of War; life is green, magic is yellow, and there are some blue ones that buy more powerful weapons from the "demon" store. 

The most striking thing about this game is the bosses. Much like God of War, there are many run-of-the-mill enemies that feel and act like bosses. Unlike GoW, the bosses, or mini-bosses, are in pretty linear order from smaller to larger. GoW usually gives you a ridiculously huge boss right away. Then gives you will battle bosses or mini-bosses of varying sizes for the rest of the game. I think the formula that GoW has set out is cool because it gives you that feeling of being the most brutal, violent, and bad-ass of motherfuckers right away. I don't think there is anything wrong with Darksiders presentation. I think it would actually be bad if they tried to ape GoW to this extent. There is nothing wrong with linear progression if it is presented well.  

But my favorite thing about this game is that it does not need to use Quick Time Events. It wasn't until playing this game that I truly realized that I hated QTEs. When I went up against my first mini-boss and the [O] icon popped up over the monster's head, I was sure I knew what was going to happen. I pressed the button and the cinema started and I kept waiting for the icons to appear, but they never came. They NEVER came! After I overcame the shock of the situation, I realized that I have been conditioned to accepting QTEs. It wasn't until the last boss that I realized if a boss is strong and difficult to beat it doesn't matter if there is a QTE. The QTE is just a tangible way to feel like you kicked ass. But, if I play a challenging boss and afterwards a small movie plays showing the conclusion of the fight, I feel like just as much of a bad-ass. I would rather do this than have an awkward QTE event that I might screw up a few times before getting it right. It's time developers realize they don't have to copy everything that GoW does if they want to make a good action game. Take the stuff that works, and fill in the rest.

I liked this demo. It was incredibly long. It took me over an hour to play through the whole thing. I will probably end up buying the whole game. If any of you liked it or didn't like it give me a comment telling me why you did or did not like the game or the demo.

sopachuco13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By sopachuco13

and it was really good. I didn't really pay much attention to the story, there was too little to mention. I don't know if this is true of the main game or just the demo. I know that we have one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse and he is killing other demons. The demon at the end of the demo tries to buy him off, but “we ain't havin' that.” Even with the unmentionable story the game was very likable. 

The art of the game is more metal than apocalyptic. The monsters look really good and the main character looks really cool. The environments are pretty demented, but they are really colorful. The game shares a color palette with God of War; life is green, magic is yellow, and there are some blue ones that buy more powerful weapons from the "demon" store. 

The most striking thing about this game is the bosses. Much like God of War, there are many run-of-the-mill enemies that feel and act like bosses. Unlike GoW, the bosses, or mini-bosses, are in pretty linear order from smaller to larger. GoW usually gives you a ridiculously huge boss right away. Then gives you will battle bosses or mini-bosses of varying sizes for the rest of the game. I think the formula that GoW has set out is cool because it gives you that feeling of being the most brutal, violent, and bad-ass of motherfuckers right away. I don't think there is anything wrong with Darksiders presentation. I think it would actually be bad if they tried to ape GoW to this extent. There is nothing wrong with linear progression if it is presented well.  

But my favorite thing about this game is that it does not need to use Quick Time Events. It wasn't until playing this game that I truly realized that I hated QTEs. When I went up against my first mini-boss and the [O] icon popped up over the monster's head, I was sure I knew what was going to happen. I pressed the button and the cinema started and I kept waiting for the icons to appear, but they never came. They NEVER came! After I overcame the shock of the situation, I realized that I have been conditioned to accepting QTEs. It wasn't until the last boss that I realized if a boss is strong and difficult to beat it doesn't matter if there is a QTE. The QTE is just a tangible way to feel like you kicked ass. But, if I play a challenging boss and afterwards a small movie plays showing the conclusion of the fight, I feel like just as much of a bad-ass. I would rather do this than have an awkward QTE event that I might screw up a few times before getting it right. It's time developers realize they don't have to copy everything that GoW does if they want to make a good action game. Take the stuff that works, and fill in the rest.

I liked this demo. It was incredibly long. It took me over an hour to play through the whole thing. I will probably end up buying the whole game. If any of you liked it or didn't like it give me a comment telling me why you did or did not like the game or the demo.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.