Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Darksiders

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 05, 2010

Developed by Vigil Games, Darksiders puts players in control of War, one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, as he attempts to find out who caused a premature Apocalypse while battling both Angels and Demons on a dead Earth.

IGN UK and IGN Australia reviews

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Rhaknar

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/105/1057724p1.html

8.9 from UK 

"
    Closing Comments
    It's this level of polish and creative assuredness that really make Darksiders such a delight in the end. It's bold and recklessly inventive in ways that games rarely are these days, and virtually every aspect of Darksiders shines with quality, making for an experience that, while not exactly original, still feels fresh, satisfying and, above all else, enjoyable. It's far from the soulless fighter THQ's marketing would have you believe and the deft mix of combat, platforming and puzzle-solving makes for an action adventure that genuinely does feel like an epic endeavour. It's a genre too few developers try their hand at these days and one that's rarely done well. Despite some flaws, Darksiders is an expertly designed, frequently dazzling spectacle - and if it really is the first in a series as Vigil suggests, we're genuinely looking forward to seeing more."

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/105/1057666p1.html

9.0 from Aus

" Closing Comments

Darksiders has been a long time coming, but the wait has been worth it – this is a great action RPG. Solid, ever-evolving combat meets solid, ever-evolving puzzles in some really evocative environments. There are a few clumsy or lacklustre moments – the flying sequence is dull, for instance, and this isn’t in any way a revolutionary game, but it is good fun and it is well-designed. A bit more challenge – both in combat and in puzzles – would have been appreciated (action veterans may want to consider playing on 'Apocalyptic' over 'Normal' difficulty), but in all Darksiders is more than worth your time and money."

both reviews mention how it's much more like Zelda than God Of War / Bayonetta / whatever Slasher you're thinking of :P

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By DanielJW

I just want to see a bad ass knight with a Portal Gun. This game is a day one buy for me.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Jeust

a good game, but meh...

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By trophyhunter

I'll most likely get it

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Seppli

It's gonna be in my mailbox tomorrow morning! =D

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Seppli
    @Jeust said:

" a good game, but meh... "

That's kinda contradictory.

I wish we'd see more Classic Action Adventure games. It's all FPS, Open World Action, Music Games and Cross-Genre-RPGs these days. Especially the Open World Action genre is getting really old now. Open World Action games are my *meh* genre right now. Classic Action Adventure on the other hand is more like 'Hell yeah! Where have you been all this time - my good friend! Welcome back!'...
    Lestater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Lestater

I don't understand the purpose of this game, is it suppose to be a more mature Zelda game with blood, but then have WoW like graphics?  How long is it too?  Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess took me around 30-40 hours to beat each time just doing the main story and picking up some extra stuff a long the way and an upwards of 60 hours each when I played through them again, but this time collecting everything in them.  

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Jeust
    @Seppli said:
    " @Jeust said:

" a good game, but meh... "

That's kinda contradictory.

I wish we'd see more Classic Action Adventure games. It's all FPS, Open World Action, Music Games and Cross-Genre-RPGs these days. Especially the Open World Action genre is getting really old now. Open World Action games are my *meh* genre right now. Classic Action Adventure on the other hand is more like 'Hell yeah! Where have you been all this time - my good friend! Welcome back!'... "

It can seem that way... 

it's just that it's not nothing new, and as i have still a great deal of games to play, and not much time everyday to play them, i'll pass it.
    baconbits33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By baconbits33

Yeah... idk... The gameplay vids don't really make me wanna get it...

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Rhaknar
    @Lestater said:
    " I don't understand the purpose of this game, is it suppose to be a more mature Zelda game with blood, but then have WoW like graphics?  How long is it too?  Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess took me around 30-40 hours to beat each time just doing the main story and picking up some extra stuff a long the way and an upwards of 60 hours each when I played through them again, but this time collecting everything in them.   "
    most reviews say its between 15-20 hours
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Seppli
    @Lestater said:

" I don't understand the purpose of this game, is it suppose to be a more mature Zelda game with blood, but then have WoW like graphics?  How long is it too?  Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess took me around 30-40 hours to beat each time just doing the main story and picking up some extra stuff a long the way and an upwards of 60 hours each when I played through them again, but this time collecting everything in them.   "

It's a WoW-like artstyle. What's wrong with colorful dark fantasy? Suits me way better, than what Zelda looks like.  Low poly candy kiddy cotton land without voiceovers and a general lack of up to date presentation.

I don't like Nintendo. The unbelieveable success of their 'peddeling vastly outdated hardware for huge profits' business scheme, which is borderline criminal. The oblivious audience their products attract. The backwardness of their gamedesign and the stubborn attitude not to update any of their highly formulaic franchises to modern industry standards, like having kick-ass voiceovers. All of which makes me want to puke in disgust. I know Nintendo's core franchises are fun. They haven't evolved at all since they made the step to 3D back on the N64 over a decade ago. I've played 'em all. Iteration over Iteration over Iteration. They are peddling the same old shit over and over and over and over and over again. Even their current hardware is a last generation's rehache.

I wish that Nintendo fails within 5 years and drops out of the hardware business to become a software publisher. But since they're the only ones making profits with hardware... it's just not gonna happen. I fucking hate their guts!
    CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CenturionCajun

Well, apparently they are doing the right thing then. Making money is what everyone is in this business for. Just look at how Microsoft and Sony are scrambling to attract a casual audience of their own. While us core gamers will keep them employed the casual masses are what are going to buy them beach houses and sports cars.

As for Darksiders I'm pumped. The art style, premise, and gameplay all appeal to me greatly. Add Mark Hamill doing voice work and I'm sold.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#13  Edited By Yummylee

Oh my, not like i think too much of the opinions shat out from IGN....it admittedly does have me feeling more confident for darksiders being a day-1 purchase.
    Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

@Seppli said:
    " It's gonna be in my mailbox tomorrow morning! =D "
    Me too hopefully.  Gamefly takes longer sometimes, but hopefully this one is quick, looking forward to playing through this game.
    ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By ttocs
    @Stephen_Von_Cloud said:
    " @Seppli said:
    Me too hopefully.  Gamefly takes longer sometimes, but hopefully this one is quick, looking forward to playing through this game. "
    Gamefly has been taking a lot longer for me recently.  I've had Bayonetta on my queue for months and I didn't get it first day...happened with a few other games also.  Maybe it's just the holidays, but usually if you have a game on your queue for that long, you get it.
    Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ttocs said:
    " @Stephen_Von_Cloud said:
    " @Seppli said:
    Me too hopefully.  Gamefly takes longer sometimes, but hopefully this one is quick, looking forward to playing through this game. "
    Gamefly has been taking a lot longer for me recently.  I've had Bayonetta on my queue for months and I didn't get it first day...happened with a few other games also.  Maybe it's just the holidays, but usually if you have a game on your queue for that long, you get it. "
    It's the worst when that happens.  I think it might just be a lot of people had their queues set up for Bayonetta because of the lull in game releases over the holidays.
    mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mikeeegeee

Hmm. I get a very Beyond Good and Evil-ish vibe from this game. I suspect it will be a critical success and a cult favorite, but not sell well. It may be one of those games that everyone tells you to go back and play several years down the road. Looking forward to playing it!

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By CenturionCajun

Well, the IGN US review is up. Got a 7.8. I can live with that as the review brings up that the game is pretty obviously derivative of Zelda and God of War and isn't as good as either of those. However, its art style is cool, the story is good, and the combat and puzzling are competent if not spectacular.

So, I'm still going to pick this up and enjoy it. 7.8 is still a "good" score.

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19  Edited By ttocs
    @CenturionCajun said:
    " Well, the IGN US review is up. Got a 7.8. I can live with that as the review brings up that the game is pretty obviously derivative of Zelda and God of War and isn't as good as either of those. However, its art style is cool, the story is good, and the combat and puzzling are competent if not spectacular.  So, I'm still going to pick this up and enjoy it. 7.8 is still a "good" score. "
    Couldn't agree more.  It's a number...and a number from one source.  There are some sites out there giving it a perfect score (one of them being PLAY which carries alot of weight).  So, each person is going to think different things are good and bad, so roll with it and make your own decisions.  As long as it didn't have a resounding flop of review scores, I'll consider it.  Picking it up after work today.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RsistncE

I'm so torn over whether or not to get this game. Reviews are all over the fucking place and the problem is that I do not consistently agree with one site or another. I've generally agreed with GB's reviews (although some I haven't). Maybe I'll drop by work and try it out for an hour or so and see if I like it.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By Snail
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Milkman
    @CenturionCajun said:
    " Well, the IGN US review is up. Got a 7.8. I can live with that as the review brings up that the game is pretty obviously derivative of Zelda and God of War and isn't as good as either of those. However, its art style is cool, the story is good, and the combat and puzzling are competent if not spectacular.  So, I'm still going to pick this up and enjoy it. 7.8 is still a "good" score. "
    Okay, this is my problem here. What is the point of having three different reviews up of the same game? I guess British people are suppose to like this better than Americans. And Australians will like it most of all. It just confuses things and is completely useless. Put up one review.
    _Phara0h_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By _Phara0h_

First 8 hours are ok but now I'm really liking it, it's totally clicking for me I wont give it an 9 but I didn't finish it so I can say what I would give it. But the firs few hours are going to make the score go lower...

Nasos100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By Nasos100

ill buy it but i wait to hear what the guys here at giant bomb have to say.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25  Edited By jkz

Gamefly shipped both this and Bayonetta, hopefully they'll come in tomorrow; gotta finish Dragon Age tonight!

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Andorski
    @Milkman said:
    " @CenturionCajun said:
    Okay, this is my problem here. What is the point of having three different reviews up of the same game? I guess British people are suppose to like this better than Americans. And Australians will like it most of all. It just confuses things and is completely useless. Put up one review. "
    I don't see the problem with different reviews.  More opinions, the better... no?
    thecleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By thecleric
    @CenturionCajun said:
    When Uncharted copies Gears of War and Indiana Jones, it's awesome. 
    When Darksiders copies Zelda and God of War(which shows the extent of this guys knowledge, it barely plays like God of War. It's more similar to DMC, and even then it's a stretch), it's not so good. 

I love IGN logic.
    CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By CenturionCajun

On the topic of three different IGN reviews that is simply because there are three branches of IGN. They have almost no connection to one another beyond the name and being owned by the same corporation. To the point where once on one of their podcasts they were joking about the only way to contact IGN UK was to drop them an e-mail in their general e-mail account. Since the IGN website redesign they don't seem to show the AU and UK review scores on the US site which I think is good. It helps to prevent confusion.

As for Uncharted being awesome and Darksiders being not so much due to borrowing from other properties I think it's all in the execution. I don't think anyone has come out and said that Uncharted was a groundbreaking and innovative experience. It wasn't. It didn't do anything that Gears of War or Tomb Raider hadn't done before. It was simply in the flawless execution that it shined. The animations and action in those games are incredible. Now, Darksiders does the same thing by borrowing greatly from other franchises but doesn't have nearly the level of execution. It's done very well don't get me wrong but it has obvious areas where it can be improved.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Andorski
    @thecleric said:
    " @CenturionCajun said:
    When Uncharted copies Gears of War and Indiana Jones, it's awesome. When Darksiders copies Zelda and God of War(which shows the extent of this guys knowledge, it barely plays like God of War. It's more similar to DMC, and even then it's a stretch), it's not so good.  I love IGN logic. "
    IGN isn't a single individual.  It's a group of people.  Surprising how people within a group have different mindsets!
    thecleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By thecleric
    @Andorski said:
    " @thecleric said:
    " @CenturionCajun said:
    When Uncharted copies Gears of War and Indiana Jones, it's awesome. When Darksiders copies Zelda and God of War(which shows the extent of this guys knowledge, it barely plays like God of War. It's more similar to DMC, and even then it's a stretch), it's not so good.  I love IGN logic. "
    IGN isn't a single individual.  It's a group of people.  Surprising how people within a group have different mindsets! "
    You don't begin to pick up things from your co-workers and friends?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.