Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Darksiders

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 05, 2010

Developed by Vigil Games, Darksiders puts players in control of War, one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, as he attempts to find out who caused a premature Apocalypse while battling both Angels and Demons on a dead Earth.

Is the demo not a good demo?

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By LikeaSsur

I played the demo a couple years ago when it first came out, and I remember being bored to death of it. I wrote this game off as an average God of War/Zelda clone, and that's what was being said about it on certain video game TV shows.

2 years later, the whole crew is excited about this and even moreso for Darksiders II, and I have to wonder, did the demo give me the wrong impression? I am a big fan of Legend of Zelda games and God of War, so will this appeal to me? I'm aware that I can probably find it for $20, but I'm a man of principle. I don't buy a game unless I know I'll like it.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#2  Edited By StarvingGamer

You should, it takes more or less the best parts of both games (and a dozen other games) and mashes them all together.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Jimbo

Your experience with the demo matches my experience with the game.

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By NMC2008

Nope, I played the demo and hated it, then I bought the game and loved it. I think it was a bad demo.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#5  Edited By alistercat

I didn't like the demo but loved the full game. It is Zelda and God of War. Not as good as either, but better than just the parts. Try renting it, or watching a bit on Youtube and giving the demo a second go.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

Isn't the demo just the entire first dungeon? The game does get a lot better from there, but the first dungeon is still pretty awesome and that's a pretty generous demo. Maybe it's just better with the context of everything that comes before it? 
    But yes, the whole game is fantastic. Given how cheap the game is these days, I would say just go for it.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By Tylea002

I hated the demo. Love the game. So another vote for that, here.

Avatar image for omanyte_jackson
    Omanyte_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Omanyte_Jackson

same i got half way though the demo and i got board. but it wasn't until i started watching letsplays of the game that i got into it.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By butano

Never played the demo, but I picked the game up for $20 on Steam when it first went on sale. It was certainly in my top 5 games for 2010. I'll be getting the second game Day 1, in support of THQ keeping the lights on.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#10  Edited By BeachThunder

I haven't played the demo, but the problem is likely to do with the fact that the game is based around progression (gradually gaining new items to become more powerful/solve puzzles). If the demo is just the first dungeon, then chances are that it's not really going to demonstrate that kind of gameplay very well...

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By The_Nubster

I don't remember the demo, but if it is the first dungeon like some are saying, that bit is a slog. it starts picking up pretty immediately past that, and I remember powering through about 80% of the game in one sitting once it got rolling.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Fearbeard

I didn't care for the demo, but definitely enjoyed the full game.

I don't think I actually finished the demo, but what I played seemed to cover the tutorial section of the game which even in the full game I found to be pretty dry. The game definitely gets a lot better after that.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Getz

The gameplay is surprisingly diverse, but if all you've seen is the sword fighting and puzzle solving stuff then you could be forgiven for thinking there isn't much to it. The game is at it's best when it's taking you to crazy new places, introducing new mechanics at regular intervals, but the first few hours especially you don't really have a lot of options in combat.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By cornbredx

I've tried to play it twice.

It has interesting ideas and does a lot of neat stuff, but at the end of the day the game play gets tedious after a while as you tend to repeat the same thing over and over (and the arena portions to lift curses are annoying).

I am worried about this new one as I am hoping they have made the game less tedious to play, but they're saying it's longer and only thing I think of when somethings is made longer is how much padding did they add. I'm worried it may be more tedious then the first game.

I felt the same way when the bombcast kept mentioning it a few months back, but even when I played it again, while I love some things they do with the game, as a whole I keep getting bored with it.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Baillie

It's extremely boring, but I think Zelda is extremely boring too, so I guess... Yeah?

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By zaccheus

Maybe it just isn't for you. I played through the whole game and it was pretty boring all the way through for me.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#17  Edited By Raven10

I liked what I played of the game a lot more than the demo. That said I ended up not finishing it as there were a ton of other games I wanted to play at the time so I just stopped about half way through. But the game as a whole is a lot more fun than the demo would have you believe.

droop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By droop

Yeah I find it pretty boring too. And I can't stand the constant useless cutscenes where the game is just showing you a door opens or some shit.

mitsuko_souma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mitsuko_souma

I had the same experience. I played the demo and never even finished because I was so bored of it. Generally I strongly dislike hack n slash or button mashey games so that's probably why.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By ProfessorEss

I couldn't put it down.

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By cheesebob

I think it gets pretty fucking annoying near the end but it is a great game

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By 49th

I loved the demo and I also loved the game. The demo is the game.

dropabombonit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By dropabombonit

I didn't like the demo but gave the game another shot when I got it free on PS Plus. Still didn't like it, gave it 5 hours and was bored of it by then

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24  Edited By buft

Its probably one of the most convincing demos I ever played, they gave an entire dungeon fro the game so you could get a feel for the way the game was structured and although you dont have all the abilities and cant see exactly how the progression plays out its still incredibly fun, it sold me on the entire game but what i find from the demo to the full game is that you avoid the frustration of going into your menu to change items every few seconds which happens quite a bit in later dungeons.

the type of demos i hate are the ones that give you a tutorial to play through, one movement area, one shooting area and then a thanks now buy our game screen.I cant think of a recent example but there was a game i was excited for recently which had a really short demo and i ended up not buying it only to wait for reviews and it didnt fair too well, darksiders on the other hand has nothing to hide.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By Justin258

The full game doesn't actually get interesting until about an hour and a half, two hours in because the levels, enemies, and combat is kind of boring because the game doesn't start you with much. Once you really bite into it, though, the game is very good and very fun to play. At least for me it was.

You just have to commit to it to get through that first bit, which includes the worst part of the game. Pretty much everything after that is golden.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By wjb

I enjoyed the game once it got rolling, but grew tired of playing it once the appeal of portal gun wore off toward the end.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By LikeaSsur

Alrighty, duders. After careful deliberation and reading what's been said here, I will definitely be checking this game out again. 2 years have passed, maybe I've changed to suit this game more. Thank you for all your input, it did not go to waste. Here's to hoping I'm adding another wonderful game to my collection!

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By Phatmac

Darksiders is better than any current gen Zelda. It is remarkable and a must play for anyone. So give it a shot.

NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By NekuCTR

Off-Topic: why have I been seeing so many Homestuck avatars recently?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By toowalrus

@AlisterCat said:

I didn't like the demo but loved the full game. It is Zelda and God of War. Not as good as either, but better than just the parts. Try renting it, or watching a bit on Youtube and giving the demo a second go.

I disagree, Darksiders is the best Zelda game since Windwaker, and God of War is the game that bored me to death.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.