Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Darksiders

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 05, 2010

Developed by Vigil Games, Darksiders puts players in control of War, one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, as he attempts to find out who caused a premature Apocalypse while battling both Angels and Demons on a dead Earth.

Just bought this game

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By dichemstys

This game is fucking awesome. I love the way it plays and while it feels kind of like a God of War game it's more unique and I'm digging the story. I think this should have won Best Debut. Anyone wanna agree/disagree?

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By RobotHamster

I was going to be picking that one up pretty soon, with all the talk about it lately because of goty stuff I can't wait to play it.

The_Tolman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By The_Tolman

Funny, cause i heard it wasn't that great and was kinda broken. But to each his own i guess.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @birdflu777: I'm with ya.
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#5  Edited By alistercat

I am really loving it too. The combat isn't as deep as something like God of War (though that's the closest comparison, with a mix of Ocarina of Time). The exploration and stuff really does remind of of Zelda. Graphics on PC are pretty good too. The only thing lacking really is story and charatcers but I'm also replaying Mass Effect 2 so I'm getting my fill there.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By ryanwho

The mandatory kill rooms kind of killed any chance this game had of leaving a lasting positive impression. Only in hindsight, from people who've managed to forget the kill room bullshit, could I see this game winning best debut.

ascholzk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By ascholzk

i played 4 hours or so, and i'm not too impressed. the combat is good, but the story is pretty terrible (so far), and some of the aspects are really contrived, like puzzles feeling out of place and don't add much to the narrative, and times where you are required to kill an amount of enemies in a time limit, for no apparent reason. but if you like Zelda games, you will probably have a lot of fun.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By kingzetta

didn't like it

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @ryanwho said:

" The mandatory kill rooms kind of killed any chance this game had of leaving a lasting positive impression. Only in hindsight, from people who've managed to forget the kill room bullshit, could I see this game winning best debut. "

I can understand someone not liking Darksiders, but I just don't get the challenge room issue.
    There were like four easy rooms, that took what, 5 minutes each to get through (and that was on Apocalyptic difficulty).
    zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By zombie2011
    @ryanwho said:
    " The mandatory kill rooms kind of killed any chance this game had of leaving a lasting positive impression. Only in hindsight, from people who've managed to forget the kill room bullshit, could I see this game winning best debut. "
    Really? That was really early in the game, so it was sort of a tutorial and there were only four. It seriously took 15 minutes to do.
    phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By phrosnite
    @zombie2011 said:

" @ryanwho said:

Really? That was really early in the game, so it was sort of a tutorial and there were only four. It seriously took 15 minutes to do. "
    Exactly! This is the tutorial. I was suprised when Jeff was bitching about it during the quicklook. I finished it yesterday and I LOVE IT! Awesome game. I can't believe the has 82-84 average score. This game is easily a 9. 
    Jeff was right that the story was a slow burn and the ending was VERY good. Man, I can't wait for Darksiders 2. CO-OP!

Edit: I'm thinking that the people who don't like this game are some hard-core God of War or Zelda fanboys.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @phrosnite said:

I'm thinking that the people who don't like this game are some hard-core God of War or Zelda fanboys. "

I imagine some of them are, I also imagine some of them are forming their opinions purely based on the Quicklook.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @ProfessorEss said:

" @phrosnite said:

I'm thinking that the people who don't like this game are some hard-core God of War or Zelda fanboys. "
    I imagine some of them are, I also imagine a lot of them are forming their opinions purely based on the Quicklook. "
    I finished the game. I did not enjoy it. I've never played a God of War game and I'm not that big of a Zelda fan (I even prefer Ōkami, another Zelda-like game, to practically every Zelda game I've played with the exception of Wind Waker).
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @FluxWaveZ: Like I said, I can totally understand people not liking the game.

Was it the challenge rooms that broke your back?
    Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Grissefar

I only played the 90 minute demo and it's not a very tight experience. It seems like the dev team just crammed in everything they came up with, which made it seem kind of shallow.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @ProfessorEss: Those were not very fun, but they're not the only reason I didn't like the game. Really, the only part of the game I enjoyed was the combat. I very much disliked the platforming, the puzzles, the story and even the aesthetic. Elements like the Shuriken and the Portal Gun being used for puzzles were contrived and repetitive.
    Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Venatio

I love the game too mostly because I got it cheap on Steam

But I'm fighting Tiamat right now and it's pissing me off I tried beating her for an hour and gave up because I had something else to do, it's not only that she's tough, but the mouse sensitivity is too high and I can't find a way too adjust it, the settings don't do shit, the keyboard controls are lacking, and the framerate dips frequently during the bossfight, didn't do it a single time before the fight, and my computer is more then good enough to run that game

yevinorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#19  Edited By yevinorion

I bought this game on release for PS3 and haven't regretted it at all. I had a blast with it. I guess it stands to reason as I've always been a huge Zelda fan and love the GoW series. The combat actually gets deeper the further through it you go and more abilities/weapons you unlock. There were some inconsistencies with the overall story, but I still immensely enjoyed the package as a whole. The challenge rooms weren't all that bad, they were basically tutorials. Now to have them twice wasn't fun though, first time was enough. Otherwise, I think the game was excellent and definitely ends up in my GOTY top 10. Damn, feel like playing it now. Might have to break out that Abyssal Armor for a new playthrough. :P

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
    Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

I love Darksiders. It's more Zelda than God of War though, as you'll come to find out. It made my to ten this year, easily.

FunkyHugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By FunkyHugo

I believe its still 15 bucks right now, I'll probably end up buying it.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#22  Edited By FancySoapsMan
    @Raymayne said:
    " @ryanwho said:
    Yet Bayonetta won it and that entire game is just a series of kill rooms...fucking moron. "
    except that Bayonetta's main focus was on the combat so the "kill rooms" were the meat of the game... fucking cuntwad
    Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Quacktastic

Is the demo a good or bad representation of the game?

I really like non-Zelda Zelda games like Blood Omen, Soul Reaver, Alundra, 3d DGH.  So on paper I should love this but, I disliked the demo for Darksiders that much.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24  Edited By Castiel

Agree and congratz with an awesome game that's waaaaaay too underrated! 

Seriously one of my favorite games of this year.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By dichemstys

I haven't had any problems with the challenge rooms.

CactusJack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CactusJack

I enjoy all of this good talk about Darksiders.  My copy is coming in the mail tomorrow......I don't know how I let this one slip by.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By butano

Out of all the games I've purchased this winter sale, this has been the one I've been playing most. Definitely glad I picked this up! Pretty sure I'll be doing a second playthrough on Apocalyptic difficulty.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By JoelTGM

It's an awesome game.  

helios1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By helios1337

I'm about half way though it right now and enjoying it. I will agree the small part near the beginning with the kill rooms wasn't very good, but those were short combat tutorials. Should they have been better
    integrated? YES. Does 20 minutes of annoying tutorial rooms ruin an entire game? NO.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By PillClinton

such an incredibly underrated game it's ridiculous.  GB's the only site i know of that actually gave it a fair shake and didn't just completely shit all over it. 

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ArchScabby

word

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By jkz

Darksiders is awesome. It's as simple as that. There were very few games I had more fun with over the course of the year (in fact, there were three, since I had to suss that out when making my GOTY list).

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By toowalrus

Beat it last night, loved it. Bayonetta deserved to win, but Darksiders is a close, close second, to me.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree, it's definitely my best debut of the year, and think Brad/Ryan would have gave it more credit if they actually played it.  Definitely a game you have to play to understand why it's so good/fun.  Just reading a description and watching it isn't enough.  (Not complaining about the outcome, just stating my opinion)

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Demyx
    @yevinorion said:
    " I bought this game on release for PS3 and haven't regretted it at all. I had a blast with it. I guess it stands to reason as I've always been a huge Zelda fan and love the GoW series. The combat actually gets deeper the further through it you go and more abilities/weapons you unlock. There were some inconsistencies with the overall story, but I still immensely enjoyed the package as a whole. The challenge rooms weren't all that bad, they were basically tutorials. Now to have them twice wasn't fun though, first time was enough. Otherwise, I think the game was excellent and definitely ends up in my GOTY top 10. Damn, feel like playing it now. Might have to break out that Abyssal Armor for a new playthrough. :P "
    this exactly. I'm having a lot of fun so far.
    deathstroke75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36  Edited By deathstroke75

I rented it earlier in the year, and I have to say I didn't get the combat and I really thought it was bad to put those time attack parts in to make you advance the story.  That part just did it in for me, it just sucked the fun out of the game, which admittedly I wasn't having the best time with the game because that first section is a slow burn (for me) and I wasn't getting the combat down. 

I really wanted to give it another try, so I picked it up on Gamefly sale and after I started playing the game less like God of War 3 on the combat side...it clicked for me much better.  Totally get it now, having fun with it.  The time attack/challenge rooms are still terrible in my opinion, but now that I'm invested in the game, I plow thru them and move on.   

It's a game I regret not having played last year and am totally glad now that I picked it up and its a game I'm looking forward to it's sequel.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By phantomzxro

The game seems great but i did not care for it too much i feel like if you looking for a darker zelda or have not played a zelda game but always wanted too, then this may be a great buy. For me it was just a poor man's zelda and i don't mean that in a bad way or a knock on the game just that it was not more interesting then zelda too me and it just made me want to play more zelda.  But i do give  it  props because this game and 3d dot game heroes is the closet you will get to playing zelda without playing zelda.
    yevinorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#38  Edited By yevinorion
    @phantomzxro said:
    " The game seems great but i did not care for it too much i feel like if you looking for a darker zelda or have not played a zelda game but always wanted too, then this may be a great buy. For me it was just a poor man's zelda and i don't mean that in a bad way or a knock on the game just that it was not more interesting then zelda too me and it just made me want to play more zelda.  But i do give  it  props because this game and 3d dot game heroes is the closet you will get to playing zelda without playing zelda. "
    Not to mention closest you'll get without a Wii. Skyward Sword looks really cool and all, but I'm not buying a Wii just for that. The one at my parents house collects enough dust as it is. This was as good a replacement for the grown up Zelda fan as I think we'll see in this generation (barring the sequel if it's better).
    septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39  Edited By septim

I had put about 5-6 hours in when it came out. Then once my spring semester started to ramp up I lost track of it. 

After hearing Jeff and Vinny sing its praises I decided to give it another go. It's an absolute blast. It's also a great holiday break sort of game.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By phantomzxro
    @yevinorion said:
    " @phantomzxro said:
    " The game seems great but i did not care for it too much i feel like if you looking for a darker zelda or have not played a zelda game but always wanted too, then this may be a great buy. For me it was just a poor man's zelda and i don't mean that in a bad way or a knock on the game just that it was not more interesting then zelda too me and it just made me want to play more zelda.  But i do give  it  props because this game and 3d dot game heroes is the closet you will get to playing zelda without playing zelda. "
    Not to mention closest you'll get without a Wii. Skyward Sword looks really cool and all, but I'm not buying a Wii just for that. The one at my parents house collects enough dust as it is. This was as good a replacement for the grown up Zelda fan as I think we'll see in this generation (barring the sequel if it's better). "

Yeah I agree with you, it's too bad it did not hook me for whatever reason because it is a cool game that sadly seemed missed out by most gamers.
    dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By dichemstys

Just beat Tiamat and I am 120% in love with this game.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By LiquidPrince

Yeah, it's pretty great.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By toowalrus

Yep. I totally don't remember who Tiamat is, but I remember the ending being totally rad. I played it on apocalyptic settings the first time through, still wasn't too tough, though.

ToxicAntidote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#44  Edited By ToxicAntidote
    @FancySoapsMan said:

" @Raymayne said:

" @ryanwho said:
    Yet Bayonetta won it and that entire game is just a series of kill rooms...fucking moron. "
    except that Bayonetta's main focus was on the combat so the "kill rooms" were the meat of the game... fucking cuntwad "
    Ooooh, internet tension. This should be fun. *grabbing bucket of popcorn*
    TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TheFreeMan
    @MythDarK said:
    "Ooooh, internet tension. This should be fun. *grabbing bucket of popcorn* "
    it's three weeks old, I think the tension has gone by this point. though i like popcorn. 

BUT ANYWAYS 

Darksiders is a fantastic game and maybe my GOTY for 2010. loved every bit of it. well, not the kill rooms at the beginning, those kind of sucked, but everything else was ace.
    Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#46  Edited By Black_Rose

I played a few hours of it, I enjoyed it, but all it really did was make me want to play more Zelda and God of War. I just didn't think it was that good, the combat didn't feel as satisfying as GoW's and the puzzles are not as clever as in the Zelda games. 

Good game? Sure why not. Great? Not quite.   

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47  Edited By EuanDewar

You make it sound like if I disagree with you that you're gonna shank me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.