PLAY gives Darksiders 10/10.

#1 Posted by Icemael (6314 posts) -
Link.

Wow. I don't know about you guys, but I'm surprised. Admittedly, my expectations for this game were pretty high(Zelda meets Devil May Cry? Yes please.), but I didn't expect it to get scores like this.

Looks like I'll be picking up two action games this January -- Bayonetta has been a day one purchase for quite some time, and this game just became one.
#2 Edited by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

I know I'll be torn apart for this- but this is the first time I've ever heard of this game. I only clicked on this topic because I thought it said Darkstalkers (which makes no sense seeing how there hasn't been a Darkstalkers game since the PSP launch). Guess I'll look this up.

#3 Edited by Evilsbane (4582 posts) -

Yea...interesting will keep my eye on it now but PLAY also gave Lair a 9/10 sooo as much as I like dragons it is FAR from a 9..or an 8... or a 7 so I have to take the rating with a grain of salt but its not a bad thing thats pretty cool hope it turns out good.

#4 Posted by VWGTI (1919 posts) -

Cool. I've been looking forward to this game for about 10 months now.

#5 Posted by iAmJohn (6114 posts) -

For one, I thought Play didn't give scores anymore. 

For two, Play gave Sonic 2K6 a 9.5.

#6 Posted by cstrang (2381 posts) -
@iAmJohn said:
" For one, I thought Play didn't give scores anymore.  For two, Play gave Sonic 2K6 a 9.5. "
I am expecting very low things from this game.  I watched the E3 stage demo and it just doesn't look...  good.  I think this game will get 7s when honest reviewers start doing their thing.
#7 Posted by nanikore (2740 posts) -

In the trailers it looks like a button-masher. I'm too lazy to read the review - what's the gameplay like?

#8 Posted by pause422 (6178 posts) -

I dont really hold PLAY too high, so Im gonna wait for other reviews, but this game definitely interested me a long time ago.

#9 Posted by Evilsbane (4582 posts) -
@iAmJohn said:
" For one, I thought Play didn't give scores anymore.  For two, Play gave Sonic 2K6 a 9.5. "
So not only did they give Lair 9/10, They gave Sonic 2K6 a . . .9.5? Yea that is a company you can trust!
#10 Posted by Icemael (6314 posts) -
@nanikore said:
" In the trailers it looks like a button-masher. I'm too lazy to read the review - what's the gameplay like? "
If you watch some more gameplay footage you'll see that it's basically a Zelda game with Devil May Cry-esque combat. You'll go through puzzle-filled dungeons containing important items, and the boss fights are very Zelda-like in that they're item-dependent and a bit puzzley. 

The magazine issue isn't out yet though, so I can't comment on the review's actual content.
#11 Posted by Snail (8593 posts) -

I watched some gameplay videos and OH MY GOD MARK HAMILL IS IN THE GAME I WOULD RECOGNIZE HIS VOICE ANYWHERE.

#12 Posted by VWGTI (1919 posts) -
@Snail said:
" I watched some gameplay videos and OH MY GOD MARK HAMILL IS IN THE GAME I WOULD RECOGNIZE HIS VOICE ANYWHERE. "
Hahaha. Awesome comment.
#13 Posted by jvsexy (169 posts) -

I believe this game is going to create history - in an awesome way !!!

#14 Posted by CoolDrMoney (1978 posts) -
@iAmJohn said:
8.5. Regardless, that's way too high
#15 Posted by iAmJohn (6114 posts) -
@CoolDrMoney: technically we're both right - it was originally a 9.5, then changed to an 8.5 after the review was published for reasons that I don't remember.  Point is, yeah, way too high.
#16 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

When you're bragging about a Play review, man, your game is in trouble.

#17 Posted by jakob187 (21662 posts) -

This game has looked badass since it was announced, and I'm more than sure it'll be badass when it comes out.

#18 Posted by day2daze (178 posts) -

agreed. 

i'm not so sure the only reviewer you can trust anymore is yourself. It's a business like any other; exploitation is one of it's many facets.

Honorable mentions to dtoid and bomb though.

#19 Posted by CoolDrMoney (1978 posts) -
@iAmJohn: Damn, I think I remember hearing about that. It's scary to think Sonic 06 could get above a 5 from anyone, let alone a 9.5
#20 Posted by MildMolasses (3218 posts) -
@Evilsbane: That's disheartening. I've only ever read one issue of the magazine (and inexplicablly newer issues were never seen in the local corner store again) and I quite enjoyed it and really like the reviews. 

But, as other's have mentioned, they don't give give ratings, just the written opinion, so I don't know how this 10 comes into play
#21 Posted by Evilsbane (4582 posts) -
@day2daze: I feel like I can trust the guys on GB that is why I love this site Jeff was thrown aside because of this backdoor marketing stuff and then he was thrust into Star Status by the same thing, I feel that this site is pretty rooted in honest opinion and good entertainment and as long as Jeff and the rest of the crew are running the site I feel I can trust most everything they say.
#22 Posted by MrPickles (140 posts) -
@Evilsbane said:
" @iAmJohn said:
So not only did they give Lair 9/10, They gave Sonic 2K6 a . . .9.5? Yea that is a company you can trust! "
Yeah, I remember reading the Lair review. That game was god-awful. They mustn't hire the brightest of reviewers at PLAY.
#23 Posted by MrPickles (140 posts) -
@Evilsbane said:
" @iAmJohn said:
So not only did they give Lair 9/10, They gave Sonic 2K6 a . . .9.5? Yea that is a company you can trust! "
Yeah, I remember reading the Lair review. That game was god-awful. They mustn't hire the brightest of reviewers at PLAY.
#24 Posted by Raven_Sword (3442 posts) -

I thought you should take PLAY reviews with a grain of salt?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.