Quick Look: Darksiders

#1 Posted by Edin899 (627 posts) -

AWESOME!
#2 Posted by Edin899 (627 posts) -

AWESOME!
#3 Posted by CitizenJP (1001 posts) -

I'm 4 hours and 30 minutes in and I love it!

#4 Posted by Feser (543 posts) -

For some odd reason I have been really excited about this game 

#5 Posted by JJWeatherman (14557 posts) -

Been looking forward to this. Sounds interesting.

#6 Posted by Zippedbinders (983 posts) -

Been playing this since yesterday, I was a bit worried about its quality, but right now I'm loving it. The dungeon exploration and puzzle solving are a bit better executed than some of the combat pieces, but I'm still having loads of fun. 

Also YEAH. MORE VINNY.

#7 Posted by cstrang (2381 posts) -

"Okay, you gotta take the stick from Brad.  Now you play."

#8 Posted by G0rd0nFr33m4n (762 posts) -

AWESOME!    
#9 Posted by zombie2011 (4968 posts) -

Finally i can see what this game is about. Dark Legend of Zelda hasn't been cutting it.

#10 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

Can't shake the Zelda feeling. For some reason that's bad, even though I like all the Zelda games I've played. Hope the story's good, at least.

#11 Posted by stratzilla (84 posts) -

The video fucks up in around 21:00. :c

#12 Posted by Don (77 posts) -

Joe Madureira used to have the raddest art style in all of ComicBookLand.
Glad to see he finally got one of his games published.

#13 Posted by rolllikerickastley (39 posts) -

green screen of death!

#14 Posted by RiddleBrother (511 posts) -

Looks like a dan deacon video @21:00

#15 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Video goes to crap around 22 minutes

#16 Posted by Yummylee (21208 posts) -

Lol apocacop
#17 Posted by cstrang (2381 posts) -

Yeah, capture turns bad around 21 minutes.  And I am still not sold on this game.  Sorry, Darksiders fans.

#18 Posted by warxsnake (2634 posts) -

feed gets fucked at 21mins

#19 Posted by Fr0Br0 (3089 posts) -

Video messes up 21 minutes in for me :(

#20 Posted by ToxicFruit (1717 posts) -

Video gets f-ed up about 20 min in

#21 Posted by Yummylee (21208 posts) -

Lol threads starting to sound like a broken record.
#22 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

hmm, this one is now loading, wonder if that will fix it.

#23 Posted by drewbert (2183 posts) -
@stratzilla said:
" The video fucks up in around 21:00. :c "
Fixing, we'll post it as soon as it's ready (it may be a while).
Staff
#24 Posted by evilkaz (18 posts) -

Hey, the video messes up at around the 21 minute mark, all green and only sound.

#25 Posted by guiseppe (2837 posts) -

I don't know if it's just my browser that's messed up, but the latter half of this QL is broken.

#26 Posted by jarryd (254 posts) -

did the video go all crazy about 21 min in for anyone else?

#27 Edited by Delta_Ass (3246 posts) -

Man, that video feed just went craaaaaazy.

#28 Posted by Ladnar (198 posts) -

they got you working overtime drew? lol
#29 Posted by zombie2011 (4968 posts) -

Finally i can see what this game is about. Dark Legend of Zelda hasn't been cutting it.

#30 Posted by Metroid545 (1823 posts) -
@stratzilla said:
" The video fucks up in around 21:00. :c "
oh good it wasn't just me
#31 Posted by Emandudeguyperson (2502 posts) -

Not looking good... 

#32 Posted by buzz_clik (6892 posts) -

Apocalypse Cop, new in 2010 from CNG™

#33 Posted by Linkyshinks (9881 posts) -

Nice, bedtime viewing. 

#34 Posted by ki11tank (675 posts) -

my copy will be arriving tomorrow!

gunna take care of a few things during my lunch break so i can get some time in tomorrow night OH YEA!

#35 Posted by jakob187 (21640 posts) -

I hate having to say this, but I have to say this:  this video is a poor representation of what this game is.  Once you break past the first 3 hours or so of the game, you really start getting a feel for it all.  Then again, I'm playing it on Apocalyptic, and the combat is insanely awesome when you are fleeing for your life that much with your dash.

#36 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

I love the finishers. Slice him off at the legs and then chop him in half before he hits the ground? Nice.

#37 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Yes! Wonder if you guys like Darksiders as much as I do.

#38 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

It still doesn't load.

#39 Posted by handlas (2639 posts) -

it looked good until they got to those challenge rooms which just seemed like a grind.  Dunno if this game can compete with say...Mass Effect 2 for MY money.  Maybe if there is a lull finally at some point but thus far there seems to be too many games.

#40 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Dang... doesn't load.

#41 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -
@handlas said:

" it looked good until they got to those challenge rooms which just seemed like a grind.  Dunno if this game can compete with say...Mass Effect 2 for MY money.  Maybe if there is a lull finally at some point but thus far there seems to be too many games. "

It's a matter of taste. I fucking love the challenge rooms of the wrath gates. Just think of it like a tool of pacing. It's a nice break from exploration and dungeoneering. Every now and then it's exactly what I need from Darksiders. Hack 'n slashy goodness.

The has so much to offer. I'm just finished the 3rd dungeon and had about 30% combat, 20% exploration, 40% puzzling and 10% 'surprise' gameplay elements. Pretty neat breakup.

It always mixes up gameplay. Nothing ever gets overused. Every element evolves and gets more and more complex and adds extra layers of mechanics ontop of it.
#42 Edited by handlas (2639 posts) -
@Seppli: Well, the problem I was seeing here was that it is one challenge room after another and it didn't seem like he was really getting anything out of them.  Hopefully that is just during that part of the game tho and maybe they space them out later on.
#43 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -
@handlas said:

" @Seppli: Well, the problem I was seeing here was that it is one challenge room after another and it didn't seem like he was really getting anything out of them.  Hopefully that is just during that part of the game tho and maybe they space them out later on. "

There are like 5 so called 'Wrathgates' blocking the way to new areas. You will encounter a 'Wrathgate' every 3-5 hours. Every 'Wrathgate' needs to be freed from a curse by killing demons in the shadowrealm. This is done in these challenge rooms. There are 5 challenge rooms for every 'Wrathgate'. You gain the right of passage by beating the 5 challenges. Each challenge room has a own set of rules on how exactly you have to dispatch of the enemies. On 'Apocalyptic', it's a ton of fun. Thight balancing and dangerous foes make the best challenge rooms a 'by the flesh of my theet' combat experience, which is a very nice break from puzzling and exploration.

Of course there are combat challenges in dungeons too, but since you aren't restricted to a certain approach, they tend to be less thought provoking. The challenge rooms are more somewhat of a 'Combat Puzzle', while still feeling the most straightforward combat in the game. 15-30min of pure combat every 3-5 hours is actually just right.
#44 Posted by JeffGoldblum (3695 posts) -
@buzz_clik said:
" Apocalypse Cop, new in 2010 from CNG™ "
I think you mean ApocaCop.
#45 Posted by buzz_clik (6892 posts) -
@JeffGoldblum said:
" @buzz_clik said:
" Apocalypse Cop, new in 2010 from CNG™ "
I think you mean ApocaCop. "
We'll save that for the reboot.
#46 Posted by Andorski (5173 posts) -

Sweet.  Two new quick looks before I go to bed.

#47 Posted by Venatio (4483 posts) -

Soooo, when will the video be fixed? They took it down awhile ago

#48 Posted by Evilsbane (4519 posts) -

I hope this gets fixed soon really wanna watch this.

#49 Posted by ADTR_ZERO (1060 posts) -

The video won't load and I can't find it on the Darksiders page.
#50 Posted by Matfei90 (1288 posts) -
@Seppli said:
"It's a nice break from exploration and dungeoneering.  "
Well exploring and dungeoneering sound alot more fun to me than those challenges. I was bored by the time they reached the second one. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.