Quick Look: Darksiders

#151 Posted by StillVictor (150 posts) -
@777to7: Man, I'm gonna buy this game based on this quicklook. Do not underestimate the intelligence of the people who visit the site.

By the way, I've bought Demon's Souls (a recent example of a perceived negative quicklook) after seeing it for the first time here.

Cheers.
#152 Posted by capthavic (159 posts) -

If anyone wants the sythe for free, go into options and then enter code: The Hollow Lord
#153 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@clush said:
"

For a game with such a bullshit setting it seems to be taking itself way too seriously. It's like heavy metal without the irony... kinda pathetic, or, at best, not my cup of tea. Doesn't look like something I would enjoy.

Oh, the fourth horseman is Famine.

"
Bzzt. That's a common misconception. The fourth horseman, and the first deployed, is Strife. In the bible at least. Famine covers pestilence. The end result for both is starvation. Strife just uneases everyone so they're more pron to the other 3.
#154 Edited by 777to7 (4 posts) -
@Wes899:
You're probably right, thanks. 

P.S. - my earlier comment(s) weren't arbitrary, but a followup/response to subject matter contained within posts by or exchanges between Scotto, mordecaix7, and Crushed. So I'm certainly not the only chump with these concerns.    
#155 Edited by 777to7 (4 posts) -
@StillVictor:
My bad, how could I or anybody else underestimate the much esteemed intelligence of the masses. I mean, even alone a recent decade of human history readily illustrates how reliable and infallible it is, right?  

But seriously, I'm glad you're buying the game, as am I, although it's sure as hell not because of the quick look vid, lol.  Hopefully we'll both enjoy and savour the experience. Happy gaming.  
#156 Posted by Xiemos2 (226 posts) -

Game looks pretty damn cool, a lot better than I expected. Also, to those who are complaining about the 'journalistic moral compass' regarding quick looks...look, if you're going to go to specific websites oriented directly towards video game content, and are willing to sit through over twenty minutes of gameplay footage/silly commentary about a game you're /thinking/ about buying, I'm pretty damn sure that you'll also take the time to scroll through some comments or check out a review or two.

#157 Posted by tactis (352 posts) -

The problem with Darksiders is that it doesnt really lend itself to a quick look very well at all, basically here in this quicklook all u mostly see is the combat but so much of the game is puzzles and exploring but if they made a quicklook just that, then it would be more boring, plus this portion is strange because its mostly just trying to open the gate, anyway 10 hours into this game its a great game, love the Zelda style I would suggest u read the reviews, and watch the IGN video demo because those guys jump around multiple saves and show u different, cooler areas this section is very early on.

#158 Posted by DrLove (357 posts) -
@dagas said:
"LOL X X,X X,X,X X,X,X,X Some nice button mashing combos there ^^ "

there is alot more to the game then that.  i wish they got a review copy so they could go deeper into the game like the did with borderlands/Uncharted 2 etc
#159 Posted by Lydian_Sel (2479 posts) -

I really like the look of that inventory stuff but otherwise most of this game just reminds me of playing as Dante in DMC4.

Anybody else think War kinda looks like Arthas circa Warcraft 3!?

#160 Posted by DrLove (357 posts) -
@Scotto said:
"@mordecaix7:   The entire point of Quick Looks is to be a "first impression" of the gameplay, which is precisely why they typically don't offer a ton of editorial commentary on the quality of the game in the videos.  Unless of course it's a howler of a game. I don't get how people accuse them of basically not showing the "right parts" of the game, to do it justice.  The part of the game they showed in this video is as much a part of the game as anything else.  Great, the game get's better when it isn't being bogged down by these 'challenge rooms" - so what?  You're constantly being given new weapons and abilities?  Great.  Jeff showed some of that towards the end, and seemed intrigued by it.   The only objectives of a quick look are to simply show some unedited footage of gameplay - sometimes that footage might occur during a "good part", and sometimes it might not.  The point isn't to edit together a montage of all the different things the game has to offer.  That isn't their problem.  If you want an overview of the game's quality as a whole, read the review.  This isn't a review. - Scott "

ya the problem with that is some games are gotten and played alot earlier then others.  so the borderlands QL had wayy more info then most.  If the Borderland QL just happend to show a section with alot of driving ppl might think that game sucked.  if the staff dont play deep into a game, its pretty much the luck of the draw  how a QL will turn out.
#161 Posted by Littlejehova (34 posts) -

The Four Horseman of the Apocalypse: War, Pestilence, Death, and Skim Milk

#162 Edited by Scorp (4 posts) -
@Xiemos2:
It's easy to hide behind legal technicalities and trivialise the morality/ethics of it, especially when it's not your potential earnings at stake. However, nothing you said invalidates or negates the complaints labelled against the overall quality or inherent value of the series of Quick Look vids, especially when same/similar vids are later posted on YouTube and relabelled as reviews. And like 777to7 said, I really wouldn't mind if the person playing the game in the vids took a little time beforehand to become more adept at the controls. I see other websites posting similar quick look vids but at least using multiple save points and displaying a higher level of controller competency, surely GB can offer up stuff of equal quality. Then later if the vids are misrepresented elsewhere as reviews, they'll at least impart a slightly better impression.
#163 Posted by DukeEdwardI (61 posts) -

I can't believe I hadn't heard of this game until earlier this week.  Where was I?  A lot of things in this game just click with me.  The art style, gameplay variety (combat, puzzles, etc) and GoW/Zelda comparison just got me really excited to play this.  Unfortunately, had to cancel Gamefly cause I need the extra money...but once I resume, this will be the first game on my list!

#164 Posted by roughplague (131 posts) -

Well, did the legend of Zelda games have amazing combat? I don't think so. This may seem a little combat focused, but I've heard it's mainly in the beginning part. What I've also heard from reviews all around is that it is mainly a Zelda esc. game, with the exploration, dungeons, items and so on, and yes, a QL is basically a small part of the game, either its in the beginning or way long into it, so if you want to hear the impressions on the game as a whole, a review or on the podcast is the way to go.

#165 Posted by Laxaloot (105 posts) -

Looks to me like Zelda meets a less buggy Too Human. Anyone else see this?

#166 Edited by Scorp (4 posts) -

Dear GB and other forum users... I don't care if GB's quick look vids are 30 minutes of boring footage taken from the beginning, middle, end, or parts throughout the game in question.  

All I ask and expect is that the person with the controller in their hands plays better than my retarded 6 year old brother who's missing fingers from both his hands! And sadly, that often doesn't seem to be the case. 

P.S. - just to make it clear for those who don't bother to read this post properly - I've watched that aforementioned brother of mine and his first hands-on time with some of the games in these quick look vids, and they indeed seemed to be of better quality. So sue me if this sounds insulting to GB, it's just an observation and my opinion which, last time I checked, I was entitled to.
#167 Posted by TheTerrifyer (163 posts) -

Conquest, War, Famine and Death.

#168 Posted by Kohe321 (3522 posts) -

Looks allright

#169 Posted by Capt_Ventris (588 posts) -

Calling these vids Quick Looks is not a problem at all. The laid back attitude of Giant Bomb is what makes the site so much more enjoyable then other gaming sites which are by and large a hell of a lot more formalised. These QL vids are fun and represent a honest ,often first look, at a new game. Keep up the good work Giant Bomb

#170 Posted by BD_Mr_Bubbles (1698 posts) -

no thanks
#171 Posted by ahoodedfigure (4238 posts) -

I'm getting a Soul Reaver vibe.

#172 Posted by Shirogane (3563 posts) -

That challenge room which involved those duskbats was awesome when i played it. Just keep pressing circle or B and you jump from bat to bat. 
An achievement involves killing 5 of them without touching the ground. Felt awesome when i did it. 
Also, the game isn't as button mashy as you'd think. Try playing like that and you're likely to get owned by any of the larger monsters.
#173 Posted by Capum15 (4808 posts) -

Looks pretty cool.

And I was totally thinking "Getting a Prototype vibe, dunno why." like, 20 seconds before it was mentioned.

#174 Edited by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -

Apocacop! LOL

Unfortunately, the game looks boring and way too repetitive...

#175 Posted by Reverseface (1221 posts) -

Art style of WAR reminded me of warcraft.

#176 Posted by rugripper40 (59 posts) -

this game rocks,its really kool to play

#177 Posted by Irishjohn (581 posts) -
@Scorp: Quick Looks are meant to be fun, they have never been presented as reviews by anyone at Giant Bomb. If you don't like them, don't watch them! 

Describing someone playing a video game as being akin to "  my retarded 6 year old brother" just makes you seem like a childish idiot.
#178 Posted by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -
@Scorp: Please leave these boards. 

You might've noticed: no one is forcing you to watch these videos.
#179 Posted by Alphazero (1535 posts) -

War, Famine, Death, and Menudo.

#180 Edited by Scorp (4 posts) -

@CptBedlam 
You want me to leave?... Oh, silly me - I thought these boards were a place to express one's thoughts and opinions and actually comment/respond to other user posts... Lame CptBedlam, lame.

#181 Edited by mordecaix7 (657 posts) -
@Scorp said:

" And like 777to7 said, I really wouldn't mind if the person playing the game in the vids took a little time beforehand to become more adept at the controls. "

This is all I really want.  Just familiarize yourself with the game a little bit before the quick look, delve into it a couple of hours and then record the quick look.  

I can't remember who said it earlier, but yeah this game style doesn't lend itself well to a quick look but that doesn't mean the GB team can't at least play for a few hours to get a feel for the controls and what things do before spitting out potentially false information.  I fail to see how the combat isn't really like God of War or Devil May Cry as they say in the quick look.  I've played GoD 1 and DMC 1 and 2; it seems similar enough to me.  Especially the way in which you buy moves for your weapon... and have a gun later on in the game.

I'm not saying they need to play that** far in the game though.  Just far enough to come to an understanding of the basic game mechanics. 

**That = obtaining the gun 

@CptBedlam: 
No one is forcing him to watch the videos but should we not question it?  If you want something to be better, you talk about it.  This site's tagline even states:  We're into batarangs, the half tuck, and viewers like you.

Yeah that's probably meant to just be funny but as I've found over the past year+ being on this site, they do care what we think.  So if we don't speak up about being unhappy about a particular feature of the site it won't change and get better.  Yeah, we don't have to be mean about it and insult the GB crew but we should speak up if we're not happy with it and explain why.
#182 Posted by sho76und3wd (148 posts) -

Looks like a pretty cool game.  Doesn't look like the combat has a lot of depth, but if it is fun, who cares.

#183 Edited by Scorp (4 posts) -
@Irishjohn:
Perhaps you can't read properly, as nowhere do I state these vids being presented as reviews by anybody at GB.  

How am I to form a legitimate opinion of something, let alone express an opinion about it, if I don't at least bother to actually watch the vid? Oh, of course - psychic powers like you!  

And I suppose your apparent inability to tolerate a view differing from your own screams of maturity.  

I never described anyone being akin to my retarded 6 year old brother who's missing fingers from both his hands (again, you should work on your reading/comprehension skills).  

It's a simple observation, my retarded 6 year old brother with missing fingers on both his hands has played some of the games in these quick look vids, and his first hands-on attempts were indeed of better quality. But maybe I'm missing something, not being blessed with your psychic powers and superior maturity. 

P.S. - just to make it clear for those who don't bother to read comments properly - I've watched that aforementioned brother of mine and his first hands-on time with some of the games in these quick look vids, and they indeed seemed to be of better quality. So sue me if this sounds insulting to GB, it's just an observation and my opinion which, last time I checked, I was entitled to.    
#184 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -

Almost picked Darksiders up on a whim last night at Best Buy, kinda glad I didn't.  The game looks cool and all, but it looks generic as hell.

#185 Edited by Mezmero (1789 posts) -

At first I was gonna take a pass on this game but after seeing this quick look, I find myself in a really odd position.  This seems like one of those games that I'd categorize as a "might as well play it" game.  One experience I may cite is the fact that I played all the Legacy of Kain games to completion.  The combat, platforming, and puzzles in those games I always felt were garbage and I only kept playing because the story and characters were kind of interesting to me.  This game's premise seems at least AS interesting as those games and I've finished even worse games that I won't name.   

The combat seems middling but there looks to be a bit of depth to the upgrades and stuff.  If I may take a stab at making a comparison to a game not mentioned in the comments, the art style and some of the gameplay reminds me of the Maximo games on PS2 and I really liked those.  Still, I appreciate this quick look for bumping my interest level from "none at all" to a "might as well try."  Thanks for the awesome video.
#186 Posted by eduardo (356 posts) -

The friend of mine I mentioned in my blog is the guy who modelled Vulgrim, the salesman. Looks good. :D

#187 Posted by august (3826 posts) -
@Scorp said:

It's a simple observation, my retarded 6 year old brother with missing fingers on both his hands has played some of the games in these quick look vids, and his first hands-on attempts were indeed of better quality. But maybe I'm missing something, not being blessed with your psychic powers and superior maturity. 

Which games, and in what manner was your brother's playing of "better quality."

Please be specific.
#188 Posted by Dethfish (3625 posts) -

I thought this game only looked alright, until I saw that scythe. I love games that let you use giant scythes as weapons. The one in this game looks pretty awesome too.

#189 Posted by Sliqcore (47 posts) -

I was hoping GB would form their own opinion and see just how incredibly fun Darksiders is instead of conforming to the rest of the reviewing community.  

I have played every new release for the last 2 years at least and this week of course I bought Bayonetta too. When I come downstairs in the morning to start playing Darksiders is the first one of the two I reach for.  

Darksiders takes you on an incredibly fantastic and thoroughly rewarding journey. The characters, puzzles, adventure, exploration, secrets and action are all amazing. For the first time a game requires you to thoroughly understand and utilize all the actions of the character as the game progresses in an incredibly rewarding way. Kill prompts reward with extra currency and health instead of just a visual. Dungeons and boss fights incorporate special moves and gear in a way that opens up the game for the player to fully enjoy every situation to it's maximum potential. Never are you stuck grinding along since a new gadget or upgrade lies around every corner and keeps things new and exciting. Straight out from the opening of the game there are bonuses, items and areas that can't be accessed without coming back with the right tools keeping the world open and exciting all the way through. The fighting is seriously satisfying and becomes increasingly technical but in a way that makes anyone feel like a total pro behind the controls. Most of all it's just fun, you feel incredibly strong as War but manage to be challenged and completely taken in by the world, it's secrets and the lore. It's definitely one of the most hopeful candidates for a new and successful IP that I've seen in a long time.    

Darksiders deserves some serious attention from any serious gamer. 

#190 Posted by august (3826 posts) -
@Sliqcore said:
" I was hoping GB would form their own opinion and see just how incredibly fun Darksiders is instead of conforming to the rest of the reviewing community.  
What? They haven't reviewed it.

And reviews have been good. So I have no idea what you're talking about.
#191 Edited by Ghostiet (5223 posts) -

Looks like a very cool game. It's singleplayer only (right?), so I'll definetly buy this after the prize drops later on in the year.

#192 Posted by Shadow (4977 posts) -

Alright...so Bayonetta it is!
#193 Posted by IClavdivs (72 posts) -

Microchip technology. Nice Young Ones reference!

#194 Posted by sprocketbot (33 posts) -
@august: There's not point arguing with   @Sliqcore …  maybe you didn't see: He's "played every new release for the last 2 years" 

His knowledge greatly outweighs ours.
#195 Posted by dvdwalker8 (363 posts) -

It reminds me too much of Too Human. I do like the fact that Mark Hamill does a voice in it though.
#196 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Just completed my playthrough of Darksidres after an all nighter yesterday night. Love the game.

Read my user review.

#197 Edited by MeatSim (10759 posts) -

Apocalypse cop! the ultimate cop. Game looks fun though.

#198 Edited by Sliqcore (47 posts) -
@august:  It's January, you have 0 credibility here...  

I'm aware it's a QL.. It's my argument against Bayonetta being the better received game of the two when comparatively (in my intellectually superior opinion) it blows. 
#199 Edited by lestat2150 (6 posts) -

If you can play again after you beat it with all your purchased abilities then its worth a purchase. 

And after finishing this video and watching the 12 minutes of tests you have to do in the arena I've decided to not buy this game. Thats ridiculous. Those arena's should be at the end of the game or a time trial extra...not a major part of the first act! It kills the pacing.

#200 Posted by tysonwritesel (90 posts) -

Noticed that it didn't count your two deaths in the stats screen in options.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.