Quick Look: Darksiders

#201 Posted by DrLove (357 posts) -
@lestat2150 said:
" If you can play again after you beat it with all your purchased abilities then its worth a purchase.  And after finishing this video and watching the 12 minutes of tests you have to do in the arena I've decided to not buy this game. Thats ridiculous. Those arena's should be at the end of the game or a time trial extra...not a major part of the first act! It kills the pacing. "
the game is over 12 hours long... u do those challanges for 12 minutes...
#202 Posted by DrLove (357 posts) -
@dvdwalker8 said:
" It reminds me too much of Too Human. I do like the fact that Mark Hamill does a voice in it though. "
ya accept too human was do-do and this game is very good but not great
#203 Posted by NekuCTR (1663 posts) -

I don't know where you couldn't draw the similarities to god of war. Your do combos, finishers, collectibles for life upgrades. It seems very similar.

#204 Posted by phatbrain (33 posts) -

zero interest

#205 Posted by BUCK3TM4N (549 posts) -

thise challenge rooms would be good for side quest and unlockables
#206 Posted by Brodehouse (9867 posts) -

It's too bad they picked a pretty crappy part of the game to Quick Look.  The 'find all the shadow dudes and win the challenge' parts are the driest parts in the game.  What they should really Quick Look is a few of those incredible, Legend of Zelda-level room puzzles in the first dungeon.  My mind released a considerable amount of endorphins when I figured out that rotating bridge puzzle.

#207 Posted by Max_Hydrogen (818 posts) -

I own a better version of this game; it's called God of War II

#208 Posted by babz (309 posts) -

Really wana play this, looks fun.

#209 Posted by EthanielRain (812 posts) -
@tysonwritesel said:
" Noticed that it didn't count your two deaths in the stats screen in options. "
Falling doesn't count as an outright death, you just lose some health.  Which is a good thing, because there's a lot of "can I make that jump or not?" situations when exploring for the hidden stuff :)
#210 Posted by jmood88 (394 posts) -

The part with the shop reminded me of the fusing conversations during the endurance run.

#211 Posted by Reetesh (191 posts) -

Ah, interesting... I really like a quick look where I can be put to sleep :P Saw first 10minutes, dozed off for 10minutes, then saw the last 10 minutes. 

Empty slots make it look like theres LOT of thins to collect and different weapons too, Hope its not all "exit-close" fights all the time. I wonder when the variety kicks in or whatever it is in the game thats making everyone really like it. 

From the quick look, it looks interesting. Nothing too awesome, guess I'll have to see some more videos to find out. Or maybe, read GB review :P Usually, Just quick look's the deciding factor for me.

#212 Posted by rugripper40 (59 posts) -

but its not exactly like god of war...god of war is much more brutal,more enemies,crazy finishing moves...close but not quite but this game is definitly a must play if u like god of war and a fantasy type story line...i am really liking this game...btw this game isnt easy but neither was god of war that still reigns king in my book...lol

Haru48

on Jan. 8, 2010
I don't know where you couldn't draw the similarities to god of war. Your do combos, finishers, collectibles for life upgrades. It seems very similar    
#213 Posted by Kimozabi (40 posts) -
I would've preferred if the quicklook had showed more of the Zelda-like dungeons. This pretty much only shows 45% of the gameplay.

@cstrang said:
" Yeah, capture turns bad around 21 minutes.  And I am still not sold on this game.  Sorry, Darksiders fans. "
Maybe they will survive.
#214 Posted by Akel (147 posts) -

why would they put this kind of gameplay early on? is this not optional? anyway, sounds like a cool game, but I would have liked to see a dungeon.

#215 Posted by Iron_Scimitar (26 posts) -
APOCACOP

i love this place, LOL
#216 Posted by takua108 (1478 posts) -

You play War in this game? So, basically, this is NetHack 2, right?

#217 Posted by ioannisdenton (38 posts) -

useful QL as always!!! thx dudes!

#218 Posted by SteveV (182 posts) -

This was a bad demo of the game, i think you should have shown the first castle and not this challenge stuff.

#219 Posted by MustardDragon (50 posts) -

Not a great section to really show off this game. I don't care for those isolated arenas. The rest of the game is great though.

#220 Posted by vizionblind (114 posts) -

game is great, very Zelda like

#221 Posted by vizionblind (114 posts) -

it's not just an X BUTTON game, they need to stop saying that and learn the moves

#222 Posted by Sanaj (170 posts) -

War has a horn, a Zelda like inventory screen and the combat is based mostly on pressing X for the sword.

There are walls with something growing on them that can used for climbing and all the people are already dead.

This game has my interest at least. I will be looking for reviews of this game.

#223 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Apoca-cop? Lame, Vinnie... you meant Ap-cop-alypse!

edit: Also as much as I love Mark Hammil, I think Cannibal Corpse's George 'Corpsegrinder' Fisher should have played The Watcher with his creepy (almost John K sounding -- of Ren and Stimpy fame which makes it also hilarious on another level) voice as found 1:26-1:43 into this song:

#224 Posted by Shaneman (78 posts) -

I had NO interest in this game. 

Now, I kinda wanna go pick it up.   

God, I LOVE these quick looks

#225 Posted by pweidman (2325 posts) -

Jeff didn't do any exploring in that QL.  There are lots of spots, even that early, that u have to look for to find additional souls, fights, artifacts etc..   It was just an overview of the look and feel of the combat more than anything.  I'm not even a comic book fan but the art is awesome in the game.  Still a fun look though w/Vinny's commentary et al........thanks Drew for the post..:).
#226 Posted by KillerFly (396 posts) -

It's unfortunate this point in the game got put in the quick look. The dungeon stuff gets a lot cooler.

#227 Posted by DrLove (357 posts) -
@lestat2150 said:
" If you can play again after you beat it with all your purchased abilities then its worth a purchase.  And after finishing this video and watching the 12 minutes of tests you have to do in the arena I've decided to not buy this game. Thats ridiculous. Those arena's should be at the end of the game or a time trial extra...not a major part of the first act! It kills the pacing. "
the game is 13- 15 hours.. you do arenas for 12 minutes.
#228 Posted by DrLove (357 posts) -
@vizionblind said:
" it's not just an X BUTTON game, they need to stop saying that and learn the moves "
ya i love quick looks, but sometimes they need to be careful when they say stuff like that, ppl start thinking that there is no depth at all to the combat.
#229 Posted by LKM (1 posts) -

I'm about six hours in, and I really love it. I was kind of unhappy with some of the more recent Zelda games (especially the ones on the DS), but this really does most Zelda-ish things right, and ads reasonably deep combat to it. If you like Zelda, you'll like this. Now that i'm playing this game, I'm kind of astonished that there aren't more games which takes a few pages from Zelda.

#230 Posted by TekZero (2672 posts) -

I'm pleased because it reminds me of the Soul Reaver games.

#231 Posted by AlfredPMcLovely (42 posts) -

I think this game looks like a lot of fun.  I'll definately have to check this out when things slow down.  Right now there are too many other great games coming out.  Bayonetta and ME2 are on the top of my list, Darksiders will have to wait a little bit.

#232 Posted by roofy (1005 posts) -

agree with vinny that i got a slight prototype vibe.

i think it was the decapitation animations that are recycled

#233 Posted by Branthog (7577 posts) -

Spending so many months of your life making such a stupid game (story, at least) has to be depressing. Unless it's your first job in the field and your just giddy to be involved.

#234 Posted by rottendevice (159 posts) -

I'm intrigued.  It looks a bit like Zelda gameplay meets Diablo aesthetics.  

#235 Posted by Nettacki (1317 posts) -
@rugripper40 said:
"
but its not exactly like god of war...god of war is much more brutal,more enemies,crazy finishing moves...close but not quite but this game is definitly a must play if u like god of war and a fantasy type story line...i am really liking this game...btw this game isnt easy but neither was god of war that still reigns king in my book...lol

Haru48

on Jan. 8, 2010
I don't know where you couldn't draw the similarities to god of war. Your do combos, finishers, collectibles for life upgrades. It seems very similar    
"
but is that even a bad thing? Especially when God of War itself is a very good, but not genre-creating game that did not establish the genre so much as refine it?
#236 Posted by KillerFly (396 posts) -
@MrKlorox said:

" Apoca-cop? Lame, Vinnie... you meant Ap-cop-alypse! 

"
Lies! An Apoca-cop is a cop in the apocalypse, whereas the Ap-cop-alypse is clearly an apocalypse caused by cops!
#237 Posted by demontium (4708 posts) -

apococop.

#238 Posted by handlas (2675 posts) -

where be the review?  Jeff get bored of it and quit playing?

#239 Posted by JohnRabbit (102 posts) -

This is the first Quick Look I've voluntarily stopped watching.

After seeing (and hearing) Jeff's relative unfamiliarity with the game (not knowing Vulgrim's role as your merchant, not owning the Scythe, etc) and seeing they chose one of the most boring portions of the game to showcase, I can't fathom this title comes away looking good in the video.

Shame really, this game is fantastic and it only keeps getting better with every passing hour.

#240 Posted by Raven_Sword (3444 posts) -

LOL, Starscream.
#241 Edited by Lazyaza (2176 posts) -

For anyone who gets this it eventually gets brutally hard, the boss fights in particular. I've been playing on easy and dying quite frequently.  Aside from that its pretty freaking awesome, straight up funnest game I've played in a while.

#242 Posted by captain_clayman (3320 posts) -

the main character of this game 
looks really...

lame.

#243 Posted by MadeinFinland (839 posts) -
@JohnRabbit said:
" This is the first Quick Look I've voluntarily stopped watching.  After seeing (and hearing) Jeff's relative unfamiliarity with the game (not knowing Vulgrim's role as your merchant, not owning the Scythe, etc) and seeing they chose one of the most boring portions of the game to showcase, I can't fathom this title comes away looking good in the video.  Shame really, this game is fantastic and it only keeps getting better with every passing hour. "
actually, I think this looks fantastic. If this is one of the most boring sections, the fun parts must be wicked!
#244 Posted by ApolloBob (570 posts) -

The whole point of a Quick Look is relative unfamiliarity with a game.  You're seeing the GB reaction to it in real time - it's not a substitute for a review, which is why, you know, they're not called "reviews".  

#245 Posted by handlas (2675 posts) -
@JohnRabbit said:
" This is the first Quick Look I've voluntarily stopped watching.  After seeing (and hearing) Jeff's relative unfamiliarity with the game (not knowing Vulgrim's role as your merchant, not owning the Scythe, etc) and seeing they chose one of the most boring portions of the game to showcase, I can't fathom this title comes away looking good in the video.  Shame really, this game is fantastic and it only keeps getting better with every passing hour. "
uhh well he says he is only about 40 minutes in during the Quick Look.  Is it Jeff's fault if he picks a "boring" part of the game for a QL when he just randomly picks it?  If the game has a boring part...then it is the game's fault.

And he gets the Scythe at the end of the QL, btw.
#246 Posted by ProfessorEss (7323 posts) -
@handlas said:
Is it Jeff's fault if he picks a "boring" part of the game for a QL when he just randomly picks it?  If the game has a boring part...then it is the game's fault.
It's not really anyone's fault. It makes for a boring quicklook, but I didn't find the challenge rooms boring to play - just boring to watch.
#247 Posted by JohnRabbit (102 posts) -
@handlas said:
" @JohnRabbit said:
uhh well he says he is only about 40 minutes in during the Quick Look.  Is it Jeff's fault if he picks a "boring" part of the game for a QL when he just randomly picks it?  If the game has a boring part...then it is the game's fault.  And he gets the Scythe at the end of the QL, btw. "
Nowhere in my comments did I blame Jeff for the content of the Quick Look.  He is obviously familiar enough with the game to play it, however his comment about it 'being only X button" combat is short-sighted.  Is it possible to play the game pressing only X the entire time? Absolutely, but the combat is actually very rewarding once you start unlocking the different weapons and move sets a bit later into the experience.  Something this QL unfortunately does not showcase; again, this is not a fault of Jeff or Giant Bomb, but moreso indicative of the "slower-burn" presentation Darksiders seems to have.

Jeff is not responsible for picking a particularly "good" part of a game to show, I was merely commenting that since I have logged a bit of time into the game myself (more than Jeff at the time of the QL filming) I was disappointed that such a relatively dull portion of the game was shown.  I have fair confidence that the finer and better aspects of the game will be discussed in Jeff's review.

Relax.
#248 Posted by handlas (2675 posts) -
@JohnRabbit: 

Relax?

I didn't know I was conveying anger.  If the game is good, then Jeff's review will say so.  I don't think judging his thoughts during the quick look is the best idea.  The quick looks are more-so just for entertainment.
#249 Posted by JohnRabbit (102 posts) -
@handlas said:
" @JohnRabbit:   Relax?  I didn't know I was conveying anger.  If the game is good, then Jeff's review will say so.  I don't think judging his thoughts during the quick look is the best idea.  The quick looks are more-so just for entertainment. "
Your initial post defended a position that wasn't being attacked (the quality of the Quick Look, Jeff's role in its production).  It comes across as needlessly accusatory.

More to the point, we seem to differ on how we view Quick Looks.  Video reviews to me are summary discussions on what a game contains, the quality of that content, and whether or not the particular reviewer liked the experience.  Quick Looks to me are a more "direct" review of a game; a player experiencing the game live and delivering immediate and off-the-cuff remarks. They do not have the luxury of time to carefully build and craft their thoughts into a shinier package (a review). A Quick Look to me has as much influence if not more on how I will personally feel about playing a particular title.

I just think Darksiders shows poorly overall.  The method in which its parts build upon one another does not become apparent until the end of the first dungeon (about 3 hours of game time), at the very least. Like you said, if the game is good (which it is) Jeff's review will echo this sentiment.  However it is not too much to expect the words and opinions expressed in a Quick Look would be somewhat indicative of the final assessment.  

It is foolish to continue this debate however.  I look forward to the review.
#250 Posted by supermike6 (3557 posts) -

What's screen tearing?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.