Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Darksiders

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 05, 2010

Developed by Vigil Games, Darksiders puts players in control of War, one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, as he attempts to find out who caused a premature Apocalypse while battling both Angels and Demons on a dead Earth.

Sigh. God I hate when developers do this.. (spoiler/help!)

jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By jimbo_n

And by that I mean taking for granted that you know how to get somewhere even tho there´s obviously no appearent way to get where you´re supposed to go.  In this case its the 2nd (or third?) time you have to enter challenge rooms to free a golem, this time in the drowned valley. One of the portals are seemingly impossible to get to as it is way off the map with no low OR high route to get there.  
    If anyone know the place I´m talking about please let me know what obvious thing I´m missing. When you get stuck on the most trivial things for the longest time is usually the point I declare that the designers failed and put the game on the shelf...

citizenjp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By citizenjp

Lol is that the place with the big lake thats flooded like acouple buildings?

EDIT: I think I know what you are talking about but it's hard to get that map back in my head. But I was stuck here too dude, I remember swimming around for like an hour trying to find it lol, I wish I could be a bigger help. Hmmmm...now this is puzzling me...I'll look around. Gimme  a sec.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm not sure which you're talking about, but some you have to go under the lake for and go through a tunnel, and some you have to go on that path that leads up beside the Golem Gate thingy.

jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jimbo_n

yep. and some basic paths where you seek out the portals. Except for one that is on a seemly "own island" off the side of the map with some path leading there that I have appearently missed. If you´re gonna put obvious ways to get past something in a game make sure it isnt possible to miss..at ALL. Otherwise some players will always miss it and then become totally frustrated at it.

citizenjp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By citizenjp

Yup I know exactly what you are talking about, I remember this. I honestly forgot what to do but...have you tried diving and looking underwater for a new path? Thats all I can really think of right now, but like I said in my previous edit I'll see if I can find somethin for ya.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By jakob187

It's times like these when I look back on a time where we didn't have the internet for help, and EXPLORATION and USING YOUR BRAIN were the two primary ways to beat a game. 

Just to throw this out there, I haven't used the internet for anything other than two pieces of Abyssal Armor.  Didn't need to.  I explored.  Yeah, I might've had a moment or two where I was wandering around a bit to figure something out, but that's part of the reward.

jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jimbo_n

im gonna do some diving and see what i´ll find

citizenjp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By citizenjp

Hey Jimbo, I was lookin on the Darksiders forums for you but I couldn't really find anything on that specific part, although I did find help for the part I needed lol...but I would say your best bet is to post a thread in the Darksiders Game Discussion part and clarify the Drowned Valley part your at. Sorry man. Here's the link. :/

http://community.darksidersvideogame.com/forum

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mikeeegeee
    @jakob187: my thoughts exactly.

@Jimbo_N:
    I've not yet played the game, so I'm a little out of my element, but are you distraught at the fact that there are puzzles in the game? If so, you would just  have the best of times with this pretty little game called Braid...
    citizenjp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By citizenjp
    @mikeeegeee: 

Lol, oh lawdy lawd not Braid! >_>
    jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jimbo_n
    @jakob187 said:

" It's times like these when I look back on a time where we didn't have the internet for help, and EXPLORATION and USING YOUR BRAIN were the two primary ways to beat a game.  Just to throw this out there, I haven't used the internet for anything other than two pieces of Abyssal Armor.  Didn't need to.  I explored.  Yeah, I might've had a moment or two where I was wandering around a bit to figure something out, but that's part of the reward. "

Its a difference between exploring for an hour because you need to do that to find the way and exploring for an hour because you´re missing something that was poorly designed by the level designers. USING YOUR BRAIN only goes so far. Sadly that dosent include reading the level designers minds.  
    Most people will get past these spots with some simple exploration (you!) but if the part has a design flaw some people will always hit right in the wheelhouse of that flaw and lose momentum (me!). Its Level design 101 dude and its way harder to think about when designing levels than one might think. 
    If you´re a fresher team or under budget and timecontraint its easy to skip ahead a bit too fast on creating your levels sometimes. 

EDIT: Hell. it just hit me that on top of this the game have yet to tell me that I can actually dive by pressing B. If you got to this point and the game told you "Hit B to dive and explore underwater" that would probably have been enough but I just figured out on my own that you could swim at all. Thats faaantastic gamedesign guys, well done!
    kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kmdrkul

*If* it's the one I'm thinking of, you have to take the top path, then there will be a little clearing and off to the side you jump down into some water where you then swim under a little archway and it's in a smallish room.  If that isn't the one, disregard this :P

zigaroo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By zigaroo
    @Jimbo_N said:
    " And by that I mean taking for granted that you know how to get somewhere even tho there´s obviously no appearent way to get where you´re supposed to go.  In this case its the 2nd (or third?) time you have to enter challenge rooms to free a golem, this time in the drowned valley. One of the portals are seemingly impossible to get to as it is way off the map with no low OR high route to get there.  If anyone know the place I´m talking about please let me know what obvious thing I´m missing. When you get stuck on the most trivial things for the longest time is usually the point I declare that the designers failed and put the game on the shelf... "

Took me longer to figure out what you were talking about than any of the puzzles in the game. ;) The portals in that area took no time at all to find. The maps are confusing at times, but after learning how the elevation is gradated prevented any real further problems. I find that walking away from the game for a while helps. Of course, that logic applies to all things that are troubling. It's funny how much the brain can block out when you're stuck on a linear path of thought.

Now I have to go back and play it on Apocalyptic.
    jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jimbo_n
    @mikeeegeee said:

" @jakob187: my thoughts exactly.

@Jimbo_N:
    I've not yet played the game, so I'm a little out of my element, but are you distraught at the fact that there are puzzles in the game? If so, you would just  have the best of times with this pretty little game called Braid... "

This is not a puzzle. The puzzles so far are very well designed and rewarding. This is a traversal issue due to lack of guidance from the devs. And by guidance I don´t mean that it should tell me exacly where to go. See my EDIT in my previous post. I played through Braid and did not like it but that was no fault of the developer only my dislike for time puzzles.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By jakob187
    @Jimbo_N: It told me how to dive.  Even then, isn't B usually the button you would hold in an A/A game to dive?  Unless I'm missing some part of Basic Control Logic 101? 

Also... 

@zigaroo said:
    "Took me longer to figure out what you were talking about than any of the puzzles in the game."
    This.  I still don't know what part you are talking about.
    jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jimbo_n
    @jakob187 said:

" @Jimbo_N: It told me how to dive.  Even then, isn't B usually the button you would hold in an A/A game to dive?  Unless I'm missing some part of Basic Control Logic 101? 

Also... 

@zigaroo said:

"Took me longer to figure out what you were talking about than any of the puzzles in the game."

This.  I still don't know what part you are talking about. "
    Well it didn´t for me so I guess that points out some UI hitch or something. But thats not relevant in this discussion.
    If you´re required to dive to progress through a section of the game and It havent already told you how to do so it should do that then and there. It is most surely basic control logic 101. you are correct sir. 
    Darksiders also has some kind of autodive going on. You can swim under some passages without using the dive button so Ít didnt really dawn on me that you needed to dive in the first place. I just thought he would swim under stuff if you could automatically.  

Also I didn´t create this topic so that even jakob187 could understand what part I meant. Some people passed the part I´m in more recently and figured out what part I was in to then give me some pointers. I got the help I needed before you decided to troll yet another post dude. Keep raising that impressive postcount man! 
    With that I´m off to take another shot at this. Thanks for the help guys!
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By jkz
    @Jimbo_N said:
    " @jakob187 said:

" @Jimbo_N: It told me how to dive.  Even then, isn't B usually the button you would hold in an A/A game to dive?  Unless I'm missing some part of Basic Control Logic 101? 

Also... 

@zigaroo said:

This.  I still don't know what part you are talking about. "
    Well it didn´t for me so I guess that points out some UI hitch or something. But thats not relevant in this discussion.If you´re required to dive to progress through a section of the game and It havent already told you how to do so it should do that then and there. It is most surely basic control logic 101. you are correct sir. Darksiders also has some kind of autodive going on. You can swim under some passages without using the dive button so Ít didnt really dawn on me that you needed to dive in the first place. I just thought he would swim under stuff if you could automatically.   Also I didn´t create this topic so that even jakob187 could understand what part I meant. Some people passed the part I´m in more recently and figured out what part I was in to then give me some pointers. I got the help I needed before you decided to troll yet another post dude. Keep raising that impressive postcount man! With that I´m off to take another shot at this. Thanks for the help guys! "
    Yeah, the tutorial in the game was seriously lacking. Saying 'you should have figured it out' is a cheap bailout; with a big-market title such as this, you can't just assume that everyone instantly thinks "a to go up, b to dive down." 

I love the game, but I agree with your issues tutorial/guidance-wise, although I have yet to encounter anything but some occasional annoyances because of it. 
    zigaroo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By zigaroo
    @Jimbo_N:  Yeah, when the mini-tut showed up for swimming, after having already done a swimming part, was one of the things that made me face palm. Seemed to be a huge oversight that never should have been.

The game has some minor faults, won't disagree. The beginning portion of the game seemed lacking in visuals as well---I was expecting to be wow'd, not so much.  There's another tool in the game you'll get that'll require either a fluke, or from already have played another game, to figure out some puzzles. I'll let you wonder that till later.

Sorry I couldn't help with your problem though. I wasn't trying to show-off saying "I'm 'da man who has no faults with games!" but I truly had no problems in that area so I'm having a hard time remembering any places that were hard to find.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19  Edited By Seppli

Had no problems finding all of the challenges. One seems to be up on a hill, but it's just the beacon of light coming up from a room way way beneath it. Think like a flowchart diagram... You know it's there - going over the hill isn't the solution... then try going under the hill... et voilà. Most every problem in life can be tackled with a decent flowchart. Try again!

Btw. it's not really the game's fault, if you're not capable of reading on-screen tutorials in the middle of your screen... I know where you're coming from though. I've missed vital tutorial informations before too. Anyways - I find Darksiders to sport a rather smooth learning curve. A steady one from start to finish. 20 hours of worth of gameplay depth.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By shirogane

i remember that part, it's probably the same one i took ages trying to find out how to get to too. You have to dive pretty far down. And there is a swimming tutorial, it just ddidn't show up on that part for me. showed up later in another section when i was swimming to get a health piece.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.