Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Darksiders

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 05, 2010

Developed by Vigil Games, Darksiders puts players in control of War, one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, as he attempts to find out who caused a premature Apocalypse while battling both Angels and Demons on a dead Earth.

The Backlog, Entry 10: Darksiders

VincentAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By VincentAvatar

I have bought a lot of video games; what I haven’t done is beat a lot of video games. For whatever reason, I’ve decided to go back and give some of these games another shot: this is the Backlog.

This Week’s Game: Darksiders

No Caption Provided

As promised last week, I am going to pursue the whole Halloween thing by avoiding all the horror games that I don’t enjoy playing and play a nice post-apocalyptic action/adventure game instead. Before you ask, yes, I would like to play DmC for this but I only bought it less than a month ago, so it doesn’t manage to clear my self-imposed criteria for a game appearing on the Backlog. Don’t hold that against Darksiders, though, because I’ve spent the last couple weeks finding a few hours to play it and I quite enjoy it.

I am sure that this has been said before, but it bears repeating: Darksiders is The Legend of Zelda by way of Joe Madureira. I cannot say how this comparison holds up with regards to Darksiders II, but for the original, it is the most succinct explanation of what the game is and how it plays. I would point out, however, that the combat is deeper than that of the average Zelda game. The Horseman of War has a few moves on the Hero of Time. Also there’s a lot of blood, and the world ended a thousand years ago so if you were expecting to meet any humans that aren’t mindless husks thirsting for carnage then you will be severely disappointed.

I remember when I first heard of the game, I thought you were going to be a Horseman fighting against the Apocalypse. After playing through the intro at a friend’s house, I realized that no, the Apocalypse happened already and humanity is dead forever and you, as War, are just pissed that someone messed up the timing. Also, Mark Hamill is here to tell you all about the Apocalypse and dish some dirt on the various demonic and angelic heavies hanging around the ruined husk of the Earth. Everyone wins!

So I didn’t pick up this game for the entirety of the time that it was on consoles, and only got it on PC when it went on sale on Steam. I did this largely because while most reviews that I read agreed that it was a shameless love letter to the 3D Zelda archetype, they also seemed to agree that it got somewhat boring in the middle sections and maybe was not worth the full price of admission, so to speak.

Once I did finally pick up a copy, however, I sunk a few hours into it over the course of a week or so and then was probably distracted by other games that had released or gone on sale, and thus it fell to the bottom of my To Do pile. Every so often I would scroll through the list of installed PC games on Steam and pause on Darksiders, thinking “I should play more of this,” before scrolling past it to boot up some other game. This is more or less the essence of every game that I have written about here. So how is Darksiders now that I have left it alone for months?

As it turns out, it’s acutally very fun. When I missed my post last week I had already played another couple hours of Darksiders, and I booted it up last night to give myself a quick refresher before I sat down to write this, just a quick 20 minutes to gather my thoughts about the game. I ended up playing it for a good hour; lost track of time.

WarHorseman controls pretty well, and the camera is surprisingly generous when it comes to keeping all the action in frame. The combat feels meaty, and each swing of your ridiculously named sword has a consequence behind it that I found myself enjoying. There is a surprising amount of depth to the combat as well, and I found myself switching between sword and scythe in the middle of combos and laying waste to angels and demons alike.

And then they give you a gun that you never have to reload! It’s like Christmas!

Visually, the game has a great comic-book style, full of colors and intriguing monster designs. There was a fight that consisted of War punching a train car into a giant spider thing’s undercarriage, and every time the giant spider thing would rage and start to bring the ceiling down in an attempt to thwart War. Every weapon leaves a sort of colored trail when you swing it or throw it, and War looks like a hulking, angry gentleman with solid animation on all of his jangles and cape and hood and whatever else. This is a pretty game!

So conceptually, in my mind, this game is like the God of War series. Stay with me for a minute: both feature powerful protagonists out for revenge against a powerful enemy. Both are rooted in mythology, although I would say that Darksiders makes a few more changes to its source material. That said, I like Darksiders more than I like God of War. War is a more interesting and, dare I say, sympathetic protagonist than Kratos, who is just kind of a dick from beginning to end. I enjoy the visual style of Darksiders more as well, though its combat certainly borrows from God of War as well as the original Devil May Cry series. And quite frankly, the voice acting in God of War doesn’t hold a candle to that of Darksiders.

Darksiders starts off with the apocalypse and continues from there, which is not something that really gets done in video games. Killing off the human race in the first 30 minutes of the game is just not something that games are known for doing. I plan on playing it more once I post this, and I will certainly write about Darksiders II here once I get to it.

Back with a vengeance, y’all, this is the longest entry so far.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

I'd really like to revisit darksiders and give it another try. I'll have to move it up on my gaming short list. Great read!

Zeds_Dead_Baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Zeds_Dead_Baby

Nice!

Darksiders was one of those games that I avoided upon release because of its mixed reception and I had lots of other games to play. I was always interested though. I finally got it a couple of years after its initial release and thoroughly enjoyed it from beginning to end.

I have not played Darksiders 2 yet.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Justin258

The only other game I can think of that kills off the entire human race (except for like four or five plot relevant characters) in the first half hour is Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne. Now that game has a motherfucking apocalypse.

Darksiders is a pretty cool game. It has some sections that I really don't like and it's a little too long, but I really enjoyed most of it and it drips with ridiculous, hammy awesome. Darksiders 2, on the other hand - I really did get quite bored of it halfway through. I have fond memories of the first big area in that game but I remember being less and less entertained as it went on. Also DS2 doesn't have as much of the Zelda influence, it ops for loot a la Diablo instead. There's still a lot of exploring dungeons and solving puzzles, but there's not quite as much finding new gadgets and gizmos.

VincentAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: You know, I actually had a copy of Nocturne! I believe I got it because I was in the mood for a weird, moody RPG and this one purported to have Dante from Devil May Cry in it. How could I say no to that? That game did have one hell of an apocalypse in it, though. I don't remember getting very far in it, and I'm pretty sure it got sold back at some point.

As it is, I don't have my PS2 hooked up anymore, so the chances of me going back and playing that apocalypse are slim to none.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@believer258: You know, I actually had a copy of Nocturne! I believe I got it because I was in the mood for a weird, moody RPG and this one purported to have Dante from Devil May Cry in it. How could I say no to that? That game did have one hell of an apocalypse in it, though. I don't remember getting very far in it, and I'm pretty sure it got sold back at some point.

As it is, I don't have my PS2 hooked up anymore, so the chances of me going back and playing that apocalypse are slim to none.

If you like PS2-era JRPG's and dark, moody post-apocalypses then it is well-worth the effort. I just played it through last year and it was favorite game that I first played in 2013. It's excellent all-around but the best part of it is its mechanics. I don't think I've ever played a turn-based JRPG that's so hard or rewarding or well-designed; maybe Persona 4's battles are better balanced and paced but Nocturne is definitely harder.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Darksiders 1 is a fantastic game. Great design, cool world, fun gameplay, and the best puzzles this side of Soul Reaver. One of my favorites of its year.

So Darksiders II was one of my biggest disappointments of last-gen. Mainly because of its poor pacing and paper-thin story. Maybe I should get back and finally finish it one day.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

I feel people are way to harsh about the sequel, but the original is a great game and probably did deserve something a little... tighter? I dunno I thoroughly enjoyed Darksiders II

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.