The Dark Throne - what were they thinking

#1 Posted by Phonics (327 posts) -

Who else felt like dying when they realized that there were two more beam puzzles. Christ almighty talk about tedious.

#2 Posted by jakob187 (21689 posts) -

They were probably thinking "hey, let's test the minds of gamers rather than being pussies and going the easy route".  =  / 

I enjoyed The Black Throne.

#3 Edited by Phonics (327 posts) -
@jakob187: Three long puzzles that are exactly the same doesent exactly scream good design bro. And the easy route was exactly what they took with this area.
#4 Posted by seenew (27 posts) -

I enjoyed the black throne, just because I felt like it was the only place really in the game that made me think for more than 10 seconds. I agree that three levels of a similar redirect the beam puzzles was a little tedious, but I guess I enjoy tedious sometimes. The only thing that really gave me a headache was the 3 floating beams puzzle on playthrough one. On my second playthrough though I flew through that part. I guess it just had to click

#5 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

i loved the black throne dungeon

#6 Posted by Shirogane (3579 posts) -

Black throne was hard, in terms of puzzles. Damn portal gun puzzles can be really annoying to figure out. 

But some of them were pretty creative and awesome when you do figure it out.
#7 Posted by Phonics (327 posts) -

The thing is they werent even challenging or hard, just fucking tedious

#8 Posted by Alphiehyr (1083 posts) -
@jakob187 said:
" They were probably thinking "hey, let's test the minds of gamers rather than being pussies and going the easy route".  =  /  I enjoyed The Black Throne. "
Lies, you didn't.
#9 Edited by luce (4045 posts) -

....??

I thought that was one of the easier parts of the game. Seriously what was so hard about it? They made easier Portal puzzles and put them in one dungeon.

The only time I got stuck in this game was when you had to move that metal object across platforms..and that was only because I didn't know you could punch it across the room.

#10 Posted by PIG20 (26 posts) -

There really was nothing too hard about this game.  The puzzles were easy enough to figure out so that it did not screw up the pacing of the game.

#11 Edited by ki11tank (682 posts) -

i finished this game bored and kinda pissed at how much bullshit they made me do.

i didn't find it hard, just tedious, tedious to a point of not having any fun.  if i got this on ps3 and not 360 it's possible i would not have even finished it but achievements made me do it.

maybe my distaste for this game is from my time being so limited and i'm backed up games beyond belief and i just try and crush through them when i can, hell i dunno.

#12 Posted by jkz (4039 posts) -

There was an interview where one of the designers said it was a result of time-pressure and it's one of the things they wish they could improve.

#13 Posted by jakob187 (21689 posts) -
@Alphiehyr said:
" @jakob187 said:
" They were probably thinking "hey, let's test the minds of gamers rather than being pussies and going the easy route".  =  /  I enjoyed The Black Throne. "
Lies, you didn't. "
No lies in it.  Black Throne was a great break in the game.  Getting the pieces of the Armageddon Blade, however, was not.  I mean, it was nice to give me a reason to revisit those areas again aside from just hunting down all the Super-Metroid-esque areas with more lifestones and wrath cores and such...but they could've very easily shortened that effort down a bit.  That's really the only qualm I can find with the game at this point, as everything else felt great to me.  =  /
#14 Edited by mutha3 (4986 posts) -

It was probably one of my favorite parts in the game.

Really, Darksiders combat is quite atrocious. Being better than Zelda at combat  reaaaaaaalllly doesn't mean anything. The puzzles are the only reason I played the game. And I felt the Black Throne was one of the few ''dungeons'' in the game that didn't feel tedious. As opposed to the abysmal Hollows and Ashlands.

This game is at its best when it tries to imitate Zelda.

#15 Posted by mordukai (7157 posts) -
@jakob187 said:
Fully agree. 
#16 Posted by jvsexy (169 posts) -

i had abit of thinking to do for some puzzles but the Black Throne wasnt that hard. I really enjoyed this game. Im playing again !

#17 Posted by Partisan189 (78 posts) -

Well since Portal was way more clever and inventive when it came to those type of puzzles, it really just made the beam sequence in Darksiders seem tedious and boring.

#18 Posted by sickboy024 (55 posts) -

for me it was the 3rd beam puzzle that pissed  me off. not because it was hard but because i just didnt want to do another beam puzzle. there were 2 skulls and i thought the first beam charged up the first skull. 

the real problem for me was having to go all the way back through everything for the blade shards and realizing i hadnt found all vulgrum spots. so i had to go through other areas just to get to the "unexplored locations" i had already been to

#19 Posted by stoydell (58 posts) -

I quite enjoyed it. Now that I'm gathering the Armageddon Blade fragments, I've thought back and decided it was my favorite dungeon, after the Twilight Cathedral.

#20 Posted by spankingaddict (2697 posts) -

i enjoyed it very much...

#21 Posted by Zombieheadbutt (255 posts) -
I enjoyed all of the dungeons (even the backtracking) but the 2nd one.  I hate...HATE the combat in the water in this game.  Those electric eels are SO annoying.  The only thing you can do is blindly swing in a direction and hope you hit them.  Only you sword can be used, no auto-lock and the camera is NEVER facing them.  In summary, everything but the eels was fine, grrr.
#22 Posted by ProfessorEss (7443 posts) -

I really liked that game top to bottom.
That includes both The Dark Throne and, yes, even the challenge rooms.

#23 Posted by SunKing (686 posts) -

After I got over the initial "You got some Portal in my Darksiders, bro!" moment, every minute spent redirecting lasers became pure hell in a can. It wasn't clever; it wasn't original. It was sheer tedium, and about ten times worse than Ocarina's infamous water temple. I mean, I don't mind some puzzles in games, but I think the combat/puzzle ratio in that dungeon is really unbalanced. It got to the point where I'd spent so much time redirecting fucking lasers that when some enemies finally appeared it took me a while to get back into the fighting again.

#24 Posted by raiz265 (2239 posts) -
@Phonics said:
" Who else felt like dying when they realized that there were two more beam puzzles. Christ almighty talk about tedious. "
shit, there are two more? 

i expected something like this... not the first time in the game where they're trying to stretch the game out a bit more (i'm looking at you, weird shadowlurker-challenge thingies) 

anyway, i think it's a pretty nice game... only downside i see is that you cannot toggle the targeting, and after playing the game for about 8-9hours my left index finger HURTS from pulling that damn trigger all the freakin time

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.