Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Darkspore

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Apr 28, 2011

Darkspore was a Diablo-style action RPG based in the Spore universe, featuring online co-op and deep customization features. It was shut down on March 1st, 2016.

I just bought this one.. advice?

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DonPixel

I´m digging the techno sci-fi diablo vibe of this game, any fellow giantbomber already playing it some advice would be appreciated

Dificulty settings? is there a tech-talent tree to go with? strategy? 
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Enigma777

Use more skill.

l3reak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By l3reak
    Always chain. You can get higher chances of rare/purified items, and the items you get at the end of the levels as a reward are "special", which basically means they're like "Uniques" in other games. They're stronger than random drop items, so you want to get them as rarified or purified if at all possible. 

Don't just go for the primary stat for the class - i.e., strength for sentinels, mind for tempests, and dex for ravagers. First of all, you'll hit the cap and the stat bonuses won't even help any more. But besides that, you'll wind up with way underpowered stats. It's particularly a problem for ravagers and tempests (rogues and mages). They are by nature more frail, and if you don't wear any strength or HP gear they're gonna have hideously low HP and you're gonna get one-shotted. It's good to try to get dodge and resist both up so you can handle both energy and physical attacks.

Pay attention to your overdrive meter. It generally fills up fast enough so that you don't have to wait to use it at the boss. You can usually use it once, or even twice during the level and still have it ready for the boss/horde fight at the end. Remember, taking down enemies while you're in overdrive can recharge your meter, so try to use it when there's a lot of enemies around.

Press "O" to see the objective list in a level. Keep track of what the daily is. Today it's "hit the enemy a crapton of times", so keep that in mind when you're selecting your squad. You'll most likely want a Hero with a DoT skill, like Viper or Jinx. Viper in particular, with his contagious poison thing is just a madman at completing that objective.

Other little known keyboard shortcuts: shift+click on an item to sell it from within the editor. Press N during a mission to make an arrow appear on the mini-map pointing to the adjective, and P for arrows for your party members. You can type /set profanityfilter 0 to turn off the profanity filter, which filters words such as "con" and "lvl". Old Spore hotkeys also apply in the editor - "A" & Tab when highlighting a piece both do things. New addition is being able to press up/down arrow while nothing is selected to change the camera focus from the body to the head, which can be quite useful.

I don't know if this is a tip, but I like to choose which Heroes to unlock based on which Heroes I find awesome weapons for, since that's pretty much THE key item for a given Hero.

Damn, I had a lot more tips than I thought.
    DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DonPixel
    @l3reak: Nice man! many thanks.. I´ve 5 hours into it so far and wasn´t aware about most of that stuff, really helpful! 
    Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Addfwyn

The answer some other questions.

Difficulty Settings: Once you finish the campaign once, you'll unlock a harder difficulty (finish that and you get a yet harder one).  Diablo style.

Skill Trees: Technically, no.  However, every time your player levels up you get a new hero, which is basically like getting 3 new skills in most cases.  Don't sweat the hero decisions TOO much, you'll eventually be able to get all of them, so go with the ones that seem ofun or have really good squad based abilities (The last ability before a passive in the hero's skill list is their 'squad ability'.  This ability can be used by any hero in your squad, regardless of which one is currently active).  One of my favourite squad abilities for instance is Zex's teleport:  teleports my hero to the cursor, deals aoe damage, and stuns everyone in the aoe for 3 seconds.  Lots of great combinations with that ability.  

Strategy:  So far, on the first play through, things seem pretty easy.  You'll get more XP for partying up, and things will be a bit harder, so I'd recommend that.  As said, always chain if you can, the extra loot is well worth it.  Finally, try to avoid using the same elemental type as the majority of the enemies on a level.  You can't help it sometimes (especially when you only have 1 squad) but it will make things a bit tougher than necessary.  
    DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DonPixel
    @Addfwyn: allright, thank you!
    l3reak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By l3reak

The biggest place the depth comes in is squad dynamics. One combo I really like is Viper & SRS-42. SRS-42's squad ability, Flak Cannon, doesn't do much damage, but it has a decent splash AoE radius, can be targeted on any enemy and just hit them directly without needing line of sight, has a cooldown of 1 second, and hardly takes up any power. Viper's passive gives him a high chance to poison an enemy any time he attacks. What this all adds up to is that if you play as Viper with SRS in your squad, you can spam Flak Cannon onto any enemy on the screen and very, very quickly poison every one of them. :D It's great to finish off the straggler's from his contagion ability.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DonPixel
    @l3reak: NIce! I have sink 20 hours in it by now, Crognitor level 19.  I agree with you the squad mechanic is were it´s at. Sadly not much people is taking advantage of it. I manage to found some good players I´ve been playing with and it is definitely day and night.

So far  I'm doing good with Arboreus, Krell and Maldri. They all have cool squad stuff .. Arboreous enrage works wonders with Maldri melee. I took the sage out because as much of a good healer it is, He´s squad skill: I don´t like it. 

I might try your set up in my 3rd squad later on 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.