Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Darkspore

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Apr 28, 2011

Darkspore was a Diablo-style action RPG based in the Spore universe, featuring online co-op and deep customization features. It was shut down on March 1st, 2016.

This game worth picking up?

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sanity

I enjoyed the quick-look even if it did look a tad bit slow at times, im a action rpg junkie so im on the fence with this one as the reviews haven't been stellar but it also looks quite different. How much harder or more frantic dose it get?

mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By mesklinite

I'd be curious to know too. The pacing in the quick look, was, to be completely honest, god awfully slow. But, I want loot.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ryanwho

I'd be interesting to know how the late game looks. Diabo 2 is boring as shit to watch for the first few hours, but near the end there's a lot going on (relatively).

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DonPixel

Im currently crogenitor level 18 in levels 6-1. 6-4..  It speed up a little with the catalyst you use in your toons later on (basically on the run enchant balls you can switch during missions)..  The game is definitely kind of dull in the first levels, but IMO less dull than say Torchlight.
    After levels 4-1 4-6 the difficulty increase significantly. You are more forced into using squad abilities, switching your pokemons to take advantage of their elemental class also helps a lot. Using for example a fire toon against bio (plants) enemies helps a lot.  For some elite and main bosses sticking to a role helps,  the usual DPS - TANK - Healer combo. 

Said so as more multi player games playing with friends or good players  makes day or night.  I think most people trashing it is mainly because its gameplay  somewhat a niche market by now.  There is indeed some deep to the combat, but You need to unlock more pokemons to experience new abilities. You unlock a pokemon each time your level up as pokemon trainer (crogenitor). Something remarkable is that each pokemon has 4 unique abilities. The 4th abilitie is shareable for you whole squad, This open venues of experimentation for squad arrangement.

It feels like an easy going MMorpg, I'm liking it because its like going into WoW dungeons without the bullshit in between, But well Dungeon and Raids was the only thing i actually liked about WoW.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Sanity

Ah well, decided to buy it... Will be a few hours before its downloaded though. I really like how varied and different all the guys look and the fact they all seem to have unique abilitys will make it a very deep game i think if the difficulty picks up and the loot gets good. Will post some thoughts after i play it. 

l3reak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By l3reak

The main reason it looked so slow & dull is because he was playing solo. This is a game meant for co-op, and it shows. If you have a proper four-man group going, you will of course be fighting four times as many enemies with four times as much crazy fireballs and shit all over the screen and things get way more hectic and fun. I guess the other thing is that the first hour or so of the game is quite easy as it eases you into the game, unlocking your abilities and such, but the pace goes way up from there. Death becomes a real possibilty even by the 3rd world if you're not careful or the wrong type of enemy spawns in, and as DonPixel said, each world ramps up the difficulty pretty signficantly from there on. 

If the game looked mostly solid to you, but you're just worried about the pace, have no fears. Definitely pick it up. If you want to check out some of the later gameplay & co-op, check out this video:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w37d_49QbLY That guy has like the first several hours of the game if you want to take a look.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sanity
    @l3reak:  Yea, i also think that the second and third difficulty will ramp up the single player difficulty a ton as well, i imagine the loot gets better as well. Looking forward to playing it, got about 1.5 gigs left to download lol. 
    StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By StrikeALight

Game is just crazy fun. Also gets crazy hard...fast. There is a surprising amount of depth to uncover after you clear the first few stages.

This has been the sleeper hit of the year for me, and I can't see me stop playing it anytime soon.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Sanity
    @StrikeALight:  That makes me feal better about droping 50 bucks on it, i feal like this game will be on a steam sale in less then 2 monts but then again it is ea. Now if my internet would speed back up.... was clipping alont at about 800kb's a sec and now its doen to like 300. Damn you verizon.
    Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DonPixel said:
    "  It speed up a little with the catalyst you use in your toons later on (basically on the run enchant balls you can switch during missions).."
    DONT...EVER....SAY....TOONS....AGAIN
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By KaosAngel

Torchlight 2 and Diablo III are right around the corner, just saying...

Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Zithe
    @dudy80:  The difficulty definitely ramps up. The game also becomes a lot more fun around level 1-4 when you gain the ability to use all 3 of your squad abilities without changing characters. At that point, you can really start building a squad around "Well I want to mainly use this guy but I want him to also have this other guy's skill."

I've been mostly enjoying the game so far. My only complaints are that the levels are pretty long, or feel long at least. I rarely want to chain more than two at a time because of it. Also, I occasionally run into a bug where I will get stuck on some small part of the environment and will be frantically clicking all over while by guy just stands there and does nothing. When this happens, you have to turn around and walk away to get unstuck and then go about your business. It only happens occasionally though.
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Azteck
    @KaosAngel said:
    " Torchlight 2 and Diablo III are right around the corner, just saying... "
    Diablo III will not be out soon, I can tell you that much. Torchlight 2 is doubtful as well
    Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Sanity
    @Azteck said:

" @KaosAngel said:

Diablo III will not be out soon, I can tell you that much. Torchlight 2 is doubtful as well "
    I really hope that diablo 3 comes out this year, not counting on it tho. Torchlight 2 i will get too, but thats unlikely to be out untill late summer so this will hopefully scratch the itch for awhile.
    DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DonPixel
    @KaosAngel said:

IMO Torchlight is pretty dull, at least duller than Darkspore for sure. That game relays in the Diablo 1 nostalgia to much!. For a non Diablo game I think that is pretty lame. 

Diablo 3 is not going out this year, probably next spring if we lucky. 
    Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Sanity

Its not like these are mmo's or something anyways you can play more then one at a time.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DonPixel
    @dudy80 said:
    " Its not like these are mmo's or something anyways you can play more then one at a time. "
    haha yea, this is also very true. 
    l3reak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By l3reak
    @dudy80 said:
    " Its not like these are mmo's or something anyways you can play more then one at a time. "
    That's a good point. Something that occurred to me recently is that even if Darkspore isn't as good as Diablo III's going to be, that's a year off. A year of development can do a lot for an online PC RPG these days. I wouldn't be surprised at all if by the time Diablo III came, Darkspore had improved enough that even though people pick up D3 and love it, they don't completely drop Darkspore, either.
    daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By daavpuke

the short answer is YES, definitely. It's an amazing Action RPG experience with its own face and style, even if it's a tad generic at times. Contradictory and yet it is so.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Sanity

So i just played it for 3 hours and i really like it so far, i love how easy and quick the match making seems to be and unlocking new heroes is a blast. Also i gotta say the game looks and runs great, im up to 2-2 or something and some of the jungle levels really are pretty. Think my favorite part so far is how nice and easy the game handles loot though, The rolls just happen by there selves and it keeps the action going. Glad i picked it up.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By ch13696

Wait till the price drops to $20. Or a wait for a sale on the EA store or Steam.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By StrikeALight

Glad you're having fun!

Regarding Diablo 3 and Torchlight 2 -  I cannot wait for both of these either, but the nice thing about Darkspore is that it is mission based, so you can just hop on for twenty minutes a day and feel like progress has been made. There are other characteristics that make the game feel different enough  from the Diablo franchise which makes me sure the game has some semblance of staying power.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23  Edited By Cincaid

No Steam-achievements? Boo-urns!

And like many other posters here I honestly can't wait for Diablo III. Definatly a game I'll finally upgrade my PC for. Sadly knowing Blizzard I doubt we'll see it in 2011, or even 2012.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Sanity
    @CrazyChris:  Yea, no steam achievements dose kinda blow, but i would bet 100 bucks that we see diablo 3 next year if its not out by the end of this one. Blizzard said there on the home stretch. 
    pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By pweidman

'Sadly knowing Blizzard I doubt we'll see it in 2011, or even 2012.' 

Actually, quite a few signs point to sooner than later.  Console devs are being advertised for, and hired by Blizzard for Diablo 3(console port work to begin soon), the beta is gonna be announced very soon at Blizzcon by all accounts, and by all appearances and what the devs say is 'the homestretch', we could see the game late 2011, but realistically, early spring 2012 is more probable.  And damn, I can't wait either :p.   

On topic, I think this game looks good, and could help hold us over 'till at least Torchlight 2.  Are there options to play point and click, or mouse/keyboard combo?  I think Ryan mentioned clicking mostly when he was playing in the QL. 

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By StrikeALight

The movement and attack is mouse only. The keyboard is only used for hotkey abilities, swapping heroes and a special power meter ability called 'Overdrive'.

Edit - and damn, I had no idea D3 was being ported to consoles. A new era begins for Blizzard, I guess.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Sanity
    @pweidman:  I beat yea to it by about 5 seconds i think lol... anyways, do you mean so you can click and your guy just keeps attacking till its dead? I dont know, i just been holding the mouse button down, the game basically plays exactly like diablo if that helps, hot keys and all.
    Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28  Edited By Cincaid
    @dudy80:@pweidman:
    Oh believe me, no one would be happier if Diablo III was released soon than me. Just frustrating to wait until October for Blizzcon and some news about it, and the next MMO title they have planned. :)
    Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
    @DonPixel said:
    " @KaosAngel said:

IMO Torchlight is pretty dull, at least duller than Darkspore for sure. That game relays in the Diablo 1 nostalgia to much!. For a non Diablo game I think that is pretty lame. 

Diablo 3 is not going out this year, probably next spring if we lucky. 
    "
    Torchlight 2 is specifically getting away from that. These guys seem to be taking small steps from bad to good to something worth calling their own. Remember, these are the FATE guys...
    @dudy80 said:

" Ah well, decided to buy it... Will be a few hours before its downloaded though. I really like how varied and different all the guys look and the fact they all seem to have unique abilitys will make it a very deep game i think if the difficulty picks up and the loot gets good. Will post some thoughts after i play it.  "

I'm pretty sure there are only a few archetypes amongst the guys. Basically Classes. I could be wrong though.

If it had been me, I probably would have picked up Torchlight. Or just keep playing Diablo 2. Well, I already am. But it was ok. I played in the BETA or whatever, and yeah, it was slow, and insanely easy. I never even had to worry about my health really. It has the potential if it gives any kind of challenge without taking forever to ramp up, but who knows.
    Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Sanity

By no means is it a AAA title but im enjoying it so far, i think like others have said its really a game that shines in co-op. I have lost a hero once or twice and im only on 2-2 or something so i think its picking up, biggest issue i have with it really is the whole tack loot on to your guy thing is kinda lame really, these types of games id rather just have slots and throw it on so i can jump back in the action. Its not like you can really see or like you actually pay attention to how different other peoples guys look.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ryanwho

That would be a good thing for them to patch in. Im sure they understand not everyone cares so much about how their dude looks that they don't want to be able to just equip things midgame. Allow dudes to equip whenever, then deal with how it looks after the level is completed. Give each component a "default spot" it shows up at and if you equip midgame, that's where it goes.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DonPixel
    @MordeaniisChaos: As dudy says it´s not like you have to play one exclusively, Variety is the spice of life.    

I'm sure buying Torchlight 2 and Diablo 3, That doesn´t stop me for enjoying Darkspore right now for it´s own merits. 
    Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#33  Edited By Levio

How are the environments in this game?  D2 was neat cause you were constantly traveling through actual geographic regions, so areas were changing but with a common theme.  I don't think I could play DarkSpore if it was just all space platforms.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#34  Edited By Addfwyn

Been playing a LOT of Darkspore lately, and while it's not the best/deepest game, I find it pretty darn addictive.  I'll try to answer some questions that have been popping up.  
    @MordeaniisChaos: There's 3 archetypes/classes (Ravagers, which are agile damage-dealers, Sentinels are your beefy tank/strength types, Tempests are your ranged caster/mage/support types), yeah, but each of the basic 25 heros have unique skillsets, so it's not like they copy each other a lot.  There's a fair bit of variety there.  It does get a lot harder pretty quickly, and the toughness of enemies seems to ramp up as more people are in the game, diablo style.  There were some missions on world 5 that I actually struggled with pretty hard, and we wiped after chaining a couple levels.

@Levio: The level design isn't that exciting, they are pretty linear, but the actual environments differ a bit.  You travel between 6 planets throughout the game, which do look pretty distinct, even if the level construction is pretty similar.  Infinity is an industrial planet (full of Cyber type enemies) as opposed to say Verdanth, which is a lush jungle planet home of mostly Bio type enemies.  

@ryanwho: There's actually a pretty good reason to not allow equipping mid-game.  Your hero levels/stats are based solely on the gear you equip (higher level gear increases your hero's level.  That way you don't have to spend hours on each of 100 heros to level them) so if you could equip mid-mission, you'd be able to power up mid mission.  There's a chain mechanic that gives you bonus rewards for completing levels back-to-back without stopping to equip new items or gear.  The challenge in this is that you are basically unable to level up or change your gear between missions (effectively meaning your level is locked until you decide to stop chaining), while the enemies will be getting stronger as you advance through levels.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.