Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Darkspore

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Apr 28, 2011

Darkspore was a Diablo-style action RPG based in the Spore universe, featuring online co-op and deep customization features. It was shut down on March 1st, 2016.

Thoughts on DarkSpore

zus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By zus

I played this game for roughly an hour and a half before it decided to completely freeze-up my computer. I lost all the progress I made. Anyways, the time spent playing has left me with some impression on what I liked and what I did not about the game.

What I liked:Player Customization
    There are a 100 heroes to choose from (eventually...), much more than the usual 3 or 4 you might find in a dungeon crawler. Even better, because of the Spore creature editor, you can basically customize your heroes to be uniquely yours. Chances are that playing multi-player I am not going to run into someone who, even if they had the same team as me, had the same looking monsters. This is amazing.

The Dungeon crawling aspect is also competent. Which is exactly what I want out of this type of game.

What Sucks: The Stick with the Carrot on it is way too long and I can't really reach the carrot and now I'm not that hungry anymore so fuck you carrot

Dungeon Crawlers work because they offer immediate satisfaction of new loot and new upgrades to the character. The problem with DarkSpore is that a) you can't access the loot until after the level is over, and 2) there's no real character stats customization to speak of, at least in the hour and a half i played. When I leveled up I just got a new power for my creatures that I couldn't choose myself, and there were no points to distribute on a character sheet or anything of the type either; the progress just doesn't feel like I'm accomplishing anyways. And since I can't access loot until after a level, I have no drive to go on for the "1-more-turn" mentality of finding that one last rare item I really want.

End result, since the game crashed on me and I lost all progress, I have no real desire to ever start the game up again. Should I?

zus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By zus

I played this game for roughly an hour and a half before it decided to completely freeze-up my computer. I lost all the progress I made. Anyways, the time spent playing has left me with some impression on what I liked and what I did not about the game.

What I liked:Player Customization
    There are a 100 heroes to choose from (eventually...), much more than the usual 3 or 4 you might find in a dungeon crawler. Even better, because of the Spore creature editor, you can basically customize your heroes to be uniquely yours. Chances are that playing multi-player I am not going to run into someone who, even if they had the same team as me, had the same looking monsters. This is amazing.

The Dungeon crawling aspect is also competent. Which is exactly what I want out of this type of game.

What Sucks: The Stick with the Carrot on it is way too long and I can't really reach the carrot and now I'm not that hungry anymore so fuck you carrot

Dungeon Crawlers work because they offer immediate satisfaction of new loot and new upgrades to the character. The problem with DarkSpore is that a) you can't access the loot until after the level is over, and 2) there's no real character stats customization to speak of, at least in the hour and a half i played. When I leveled up I just got a new power for my creatures that I couldn't choose myself, and there were no points to distribute on a character sheet or anything of the type either; the progress just doesn't feel like I'm accomplishing anyways. And since I can't access loot until after a level, I have no drive to go on for the "1-more-turn" mentality of finding that one last rare item I really want.

End result, since the game crashed on me and I lost all progress, I have no real desire to ever start the game up again. Should I?

BombKareshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By BombKareshi

Gosh, you really gave up on this one fast. I'd say it's good for another spin.

I kind of formed a gang with my cousin and brother and don't play much since we only do when we're online together. The carrot-on-a-long-stick problem that you mention is definitely present, but it's getting better for me now that I've got more loot and have actually bothered to look at my monsters' levels.

l3reak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By l3reak
    @zus said: 

Dungeon Crawlers work because they offer immediate satisfaction of new loot and new upgrades to the character. The problem with DarkSpore is that a) you can't access the loot until after the level is over, and 2) there's no real character stats customization to speak of, at least in the hour and a half i played. When I leveled up I just got a new power for my creatures that I couldn't choose myself, and there were no points to distribute on a character sheet or anything of the type either; the progress just doesn't feel like I'm accomplishing anyways. And since I can't access loot until after a level, I have no drive to go on for the "1-more-turn" mentality of finding that one last rare item I really want. End result, since the game crashed on me and I lost all progress, I have no real desire to ever start the game up again. Should I?
    Well, there's good news, and there's bad news. The bad news is that if you're looking for a big skill tree and putting points into different stats when you level, nothing like that exists at all. Even when you thought you got a new ability for your Hero, that's not what really happened. All that's happening is the game is unlocking new abilities as you go through the tutorial. All Heroes start with 5 abilities and never get another (well... mostly). In fact, Heroes don't even level up. The "Hero Level" that the game shows you is just a representation of what level their gear is. 

But, there's good news! There's a massive, MASSIVE amount of stat customization! Of course, there's your basic 8 primary stats, and they're all very important. But there are dozens of secondary stats, too, and if you wanna make the most powerful Hero, and make a really good build, they can be pretty massively useful. Things like additional crit damage, resistance to snare, health leech, AoE radius - basically every possible aspect of your abilities can be tweaked. [IMG]http://i54.tinypic.com/23ldtp0.jpg[/IMG]     
     secondary stats
     secondary stats

That's not the end, either. As you play the game, you'll also unlock alternate builds for each Hero that have a different ability. In other words, even though your Heroes don't level through use, as you level up as a player you'll gain access to 3 additional abilities for each Hero to swap out. Also, there are rare items that can be found that actually modify how a Hero's squad ability works. For instance, it might allow you to use an ability a second time, ignoring cooldown, or add damage to an ability that normally is just a knockback. 

If what you want with this game is a huge amount of customization, you'll definitely find it!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.