Here's the David Cage talk that riled everyone up

• 92 results
#51 Posted by Orbitz89 (229 posts) -

If this David Cage is the guy I'm thinking of he can just shut the fuck up.. He doesn't make games so much as he makes machinima's that you press buttons to watch.

I played a little bit of Indigo Prophecy and was bored to tears in minutes. We already have movies, and games that are like movies.. But I have no idea why people give Kojima such a hard time when literally all of Cages games are (bad) movies with Quick time events. At least for as long winded as the Metal Gear games are, there's at least gameplay at the end of the verbal diarrhea.

#52 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

David cage also said all other game devs besides him are the laziest people ever, a few months ago. Here is a crazy person like david jaffe or peter molyneux

#53 Posted by JasonR86 (9605 posts) -

@Jams said:

@Kidavenger said:

It's hard to believe half the people in this thread even watched the video before posting.

He didn't come across as harsh or combative towards popular games, he just pointed out that there are flaws in the industry that support iteration over innovation and the long term lack of innovation is starting to and will eventually kill the industry. I don't know how you can honestly argue with that.

The only thing I took issue with is that his talk seemed a little self serving as he was strongly hinting that there should be more games and more success for the specific types of games he makes.

"Vote with your dollars" good advice, but who doesn't do that already?

I think everyone missed the point completely on this one. He's talking about the art side of games industry. The side of games that'll keep the industry alive after everyone gets sick of the same games over and over. The games that will still be made if every major developer went under and all the console manufactures called it quits. It's the same for the first console crash and it's going to be the same thing when it happens again in the future (and I believe it's bound to sooner or later).

It's probably not his fault but he comes across as just such a pretentious dick. I think that's some of the problem. I get where he's coming from and, for me personally, I prefer games that innovate and create new experiences. As someone who has played games for a long, long time new experiences are hard to come by and when they do I really enjoy them. However, his presentation gave the impression that 'innovation=quality' and 'iteration=bad' and things aren't that simple. Cage brought up this idea that mechanics change but the core experience stays the same (iteration). This could be said of the Elder Scrolls series. Skyrim is an iteration on Daggerfall but that iteration is so far removed and the mechanics are so vastly different that, despite the fact that the core idea is largely the same, the experience of playing Skyrim is almost completely different from playing Daggerfall.

Cage had a good message but boiled down the other side of game creation (iteration) to such a broad generalization that it gave the impression that iteration is of no value and that games, like his, that innovate are the only games that will push the medium forward. It's a slap to the face of those that do iterate and insults those that enjoy games that iterate. Plus, again, he presented his ideas in a really poor, elitist way.

#54 Edited by Ares42 (2573 posts) -

His premise is just straight up false...

Games should change because there's other media ? Videogames aren't TV or newspapers, they're not in decline, actually they are the reason why others are in decline.

Making the "same" games over and over? That is the nature of games. Good game concepts doesn't expend themselves, they can be enjoyed over and over and over and over. I played FPS's 10 years ago, I still play them, they are still fun.

And gaming needs to find a wider audience? Where has he been the last 5 years? Does he not know the Wii exists? or Just Dance and Guitar Hero?

He's refusing to look at the industry as a whole and saying "hey, I have an idea, we need to make these games that are just like those things you've been making for years already". He just comes of as ignorant and stuck in old stereotypes.

#55 Posted by mrfluke (5089 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

@Jams said:

@Kidavenger said:

It's hard to believe half the people in this thread even watched the video before posting.

He didn't come across as harsh or combative towards popular games, he just pointed out that there are flaws in the industry that support iteration over innovation and the long term lack of innovation is starting to and will eventually kill the industry. I don't know how you can honestly argue with that.

The only thing I took issue with is that his talk seemed a little self serving as he was strongly hinting that there should be more games and more success for the specific types of games he makes.

I think everyone missed the point completely on this one. He's talking about the art side of games industry. The side of games that'll keep the industry alive after everyone gets sick of the same games over and over. The games that will still be made if every major developer went under and all the console manufactures called it quits. It's the same for the first console crash and it's going to be the same thing when it happens again in the future (and I believe it's bound to sooner or later).

It's probably not his fault but he comes across as just such a pretentious dick. I think that's some of the problem. I get where he's coming from and, for me personally, I prefer games that innovate and create new experiences. As someone who has played games for a long, long time new experiences are hard to come by and when they do I really enjoy them. However, his presentation gave the impression that 'innovation=quality' and 'iteration=bad' and things aren't that simple. Cage brought up this idea that mechanics change but the core experience stays the same (iteration). This could be said of the Elder Scrolls series. Skyrim is an iteration on Daggerfall but that iteration is so far removed and the mechanics are so vastly different that, despite the fact that the core idea is largely the same, the experience of playing Skyrim is almost completely different from playing Daggerfall.

Cage had a good message but boiled down the other side of game creation (iteration) to such a broad generalization that it gave the impression that iteration is of no value and that games, like his, that innovate are the only games that will push the medium forward. It's a slap to the face of those that do iterate and insults those that enjoy games that iterate. Plus, again, he presented his ideas in a really poor, elitist way.

you sir NAILED EXACTLY WHAT THE PROBLEM IS.

having good intentions is one thing. but executing them/communicating them effectively is another, (something i think our patrick klepek could be better at as well)

#56 Posted by billyhoush (1192 posts) -

What is the big deal? He wants more auteur video games. Is he a good video game auteur? Not really...but I like people to take risks on games following a single vision that are not just on an indie budget.

Yeah sure Cage is bit of a douche wishing to be the industry's Hitchcock but I agree there needs to be more authorship in big budget games.

#57 Posted by JasonR86 (9605 posts) -

@mrfluke:

Thank you! Thank you!

#58 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

@Jams said:

@Kidavenger said:

That is pretty much how I feel about the video. I support where Cage is coming from and agree would love to see more game be innovative at creative. Gladly due to the indie scene these days those types of games are becoming more frequent. I never got the impression he hated other games but he does give off an attitude of superiority above them. Like those game are lesser and can't possible be equal in artistic merit. I think there is an art to well crafted game design where mechanics are the core. Not an easy thing to make Super Meat Boy or Vanquish. Those game are a different beast but every bit as valid. I would argue that the issue is so many developers failing to make quality games in that vein.

#59 Edited by kadash299 (276 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

I think it comes down to people like Cage seeing games like Saints Row and Lollipop Chainsaw getting so much attention, deserved or not, when the majority of the conversation around games like Indigo Prophecy or Heavy Rain these days generally focuses on the ludicrous plot twists. Cage needs to focus on making a mature game of the sort he wants, do it well, and stop worrying about the fact that people are enjoying more absurd, crass games like Saints Row.

This nails it for me. He doesn't comprehend why his games arent as successful as a Call of Duty, or Assassins Creed game series, so his answer is simply "Its time to grow up." While HR and IP were great games.. When compared to sales numbers of series such as these, they CLEARLY appealed to a SMALLER audience than most mainstream games.. thus basically discounting his idea to "appeal to a broader audience"..

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:

This is an industry thats built on having fun....... And kids sell products revolving around fun, not my grandparents. Im all for change but these ideas dont seem like they could "improve" the market for vidya games. Its easy to say hey we should do this and this but its much harder to execute those ideas.

I also agree with this, what sort of game would my grandmother be into? A go to the doctor simulator? I dont see how his argument is valid whatsoever in this field.. People of that age have grown up in a different world, and are not interested in learning a lot of the technology thats available now. David Cage will get a "Wider Audience" When todays young adult/teen/child gamers are in their older age, because well, they've grown up with it.. my grandma.. not so much.

#60 Posted by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

I agree with him completely. If games want to be taken seriously and branch out as an artform, there should be more serious games that tell better stories. That doesn't mean that I want all of my games to be as deep as the walking dead or give me an engrossing experience like Silent Hill 2, no. I think that having a few inventive games per year amongst the sea of fun but ultimately forgettable games is really a shame, it would help the industry grow if this was reversed.

I think the best point that Cage brought up was this. It really gets his point across.

"When you think about it, many games have absolutely nothing to say. They are quite empty, they are just here to make have fun and that's cool. That's enough for most people and that's fine. There is nothing against that but that's a toy. Can we have games that have meaning?"

#61 Posted by Ares42 (2573 posts) -

@Mrsignerman44 said:

"When you think about it, many games have absolutely nothing to say. They are quite empty, they are just here to make have fun and that's cool. That's enough for most people and that's fine. There is nothing against that but that's a toy. Can we have games that have meaning?"

My first reaction to that statement was, "but do we need it?". Is it possible for videogames to express an opinion? Sure, but is it necessary, or even a great way to do it? Or even more importantly, is it something the industry needs to focus on, or is it ok that just small minority of games explore that aspect?

#62 Edited by chrissedoff (2075 posts) -

It must be really annoying for game developers to listen to a hypocritical hack like David Cage scold them for making immature games.

#63 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4330 posts) -

@Milkman said:

It takes all kinds. It's okay to have big dumb games, like Saints Row The Third, and it's okay to have serious games that are interested pushing the art form forward. There's no reason to eliminate either side.

This, I see where the guy is coming from but the industry is big enough to accommodate all types of video games. Now in terms of what tends to get the most spotlight, it would be nice to see games like Heavy Rain get more attention than the traditional big blockbuster shooter of the year.

#64 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

Thanks for the video!

#65 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -

People are shit. They want shit. They eat shit.

Give the people what they want.

#66 Posted by Ghostiet (5223 posts) -

I fucking hate David Cage. The man is a case of having an inflated ego and having nothing to actually back it up.

#67 Posted by laserbolts (5311 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

@evanbower said:

@jdh5153 said:

@evanbower said:

@jdh5153 said:

@evanbower said:

@jdh5153 said:

Never heard of him........after watching the first few minutes..... I don't give a crap about change in video games. All I want is my Call of Duty, Madden, FIFA, NBA, MLB and Forza and you can't change those. Racing will always be the same. Football will always be the same. Shooting people will always be the same. People who say "oh Madden never innovates" it's fucking football, football doesn't change year to year.

So you just like sports games? Then yeah, there is no reason why you should know a fairly famous creative force in the industry. At the same time, you should probably recognize that your interest is in an extremely small section of what video games are. So different that they can hardly be compared to games made by developers like Quantic Dream.

Actually the top selling games every year are Call of Duty, Madden and FIFA, so they make up a much larger part of the video game industry than the rest of the industry.

I'd question your math a bit if you think that the sales of those games is more than the combined sales of the rest of the industry, and therefore represents a larger part than the "rest of the industry." It also helps that there is ONE NFL game released every year, so every person who wants to buy a football game will buy that one and help those numbers.

They represent 60% of the top 10 games (I missed Halo 4 and Modern Warfare 3). There's not a single Nintendo or 'niche' game in the top 10. Just saying. What a nerd thinks the game industry is, isn't what the actual game industry is. The most popular games are mobile games (Angry Birds, Plants vs Zombies, etc.), mainstream shooters (Call of Duty, Halo) and sports games. 60% is not a "small section" of the industry.

I guess the thing you aren't getting is that David Cage isn't saying, "Guys we need to tell better stories if we want to move more units!" He is talking about making a quality piece of art. It isn't something you can argue by citing sales figures. For the discussion to even take place between two people they need to go in with the belief that games are worthwhile and can be more than just dumb fun or time killers. Clearly that isn't what games are for you, and thats cool. So feel free to go have some dumb fun while the adults talk.

See that's exactly what I'm saying. Video games for me are nothing but something to do while having a beer after work and competing against friends. I'm not all that invested. Some of you are and that's cool and all, but I make no effort to hide that I'm 90% a "mainstream" gamer. People act like that's a bad thing and video gaming is some exclusive club that should shun Call of Duty and Madden players. Really we like the same thing, just in different ways. I was simply identifying my interests to further explain why discussions like this don't make one difference to people like me and that's why I don't care to learn who this guy is or what he's blabbering about.

That is all.

For any person that is really into videogames to shun call of duty or the popular sports games is utterly stupid. Being so passionate about an industry and then hating on what helps this inudstry more than anything is crazy to me. You know how many xboxs and ps3s are in people's houses because of call of duty and sports games? Would people buy videogames if they didnt have a console or discovered how fun they could be through experiences in call of duty or halo or sports games? No they wouldn't. Most of your little niche games wouldn't even exist if it werent for the bigger games that move consoles and get more people interested in the medium. Its fine to not play the mainstream stuff so you can feel special but to straight up hate on them or say they are ruining videogames is the most ass backwards logic one could have.

#68 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3740 posts) -

Even Warren Spector, who I love, got into this bullshit. Go make your games you want and don't look down on other genres or approaches. I like There Will Be Blood but I can also enjoy Dumb and Dumber.

And the funniest part to me is all of David Cage's games have had truly dreadful writing, dialogue, and stories. So really, shut up.

#69 Posted by jakob187 (21642 posts) -

This just continues to reinforce my belief that the gaming industry is divided into two separate things: games and interactive experiences. When I hear the name "David Cage," I'm surprised he can even speak on the topics of video games at all since he's one of the BIGGEST reasons that "interactive experiences" even exist.

#70 Posted by JasonR86 (9605 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

This just continues to reinforce my belief that the gaming industry is divided into two separate things: games and interactive experiences. When I hear the name "David Cage," I'm surprised he can even speak on the topics of video games at all since he's one of the BIGGEST reasons that "interactive experiences" even exist.

I'm one of those people that finds the 'is it a game or not' arguments to be really, really obnoxious because it sells, or gives the impression that it sells, the 'interactive experiences' short. Dear Esther comes to mind. I adore Dear Esther for much the same reason that I adored the King's Field games on the first Playstation when I was a kid. I adored both because they both emphasized exploration and it was that exploration that I craved. But King's Field games are 'games' where many claim Dear Esther is an 'interactive experience'. I kind of find that arbitrary separation to be as obnoxious as David Cage's take on games that simply iterate versus games that innovate.

#71 Edited by Nilazz (607 posts) -

@Sooty said:

I still don't forgive David Cage for that extremely cheap example of story telling / "twist" in Heavy Rain.

SO DUMB. People must know what I'm referring to, the part in the shop towards the end.

Oh man I had forgotten how stupid that was! And no explanations to Ethan's blackouts? Bu!! Plot holes all over the place.

#72 Posted by el_tajij (707 posts) -

I don't see the problem with this, it's a well thought out, well presented and respectful presentation chock full of good points. Really good video, thanks! I like David Cage a whole lot more after seeing this.

#73 Edited by chrissedoff (2075 posts) -

@kadash299: Heavy Rain and Indigo Prophecy aren't great games. They don't demand any skill or brain power except for the quick time events, which is just the robotic reaction to on-screen button prompts. They're hackneyed pulp stories which have been poorly adapted to the video game medium. David Cage has all the pretensions that come with being an artist, but none of the talent. Considering how stupid his games' stories are and how boring they are to play, David Cage should be extremely psyched that his games have sold as well as they did. If the video game-buying public actually started to demand mature, intellectually stimulating games on a massive scale and shunned childish, stupid games, then David Cage's games would sell zero copies and he'd be out of a job.

#74 Edited by granderojo (1778 posts) -

I don't think he really brought anything new to the table just presented it in a formal way. To be honest I think Gabe/JJ and Victor Kislyi's keynote were way more prescient. Victor basically just dropped the free to play dick on the table with raw data, it was quite impressive.

#75 Posted by frankfartmouth (1016 posts) -

I agree with him that we need some of these changes, but not at the expense of other styles. There's nothing wrong with Saints Row. I also don't think he needed to make a keynote address out of this; the industry is already doing a lot of this stuff, and many developers are doing it better than him.

That said, I don't know why anyone would get riled up about this.

#76 Posted by ShaggE (6326 posts) -

To be fair, egotism runs in the family. Look at his brother Johnny.

#77 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

Tnt going to be up before monday?

#78 Edited by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

You know I'm generally a peaceful person but I wouldn't mind having this guy and his like-minded designers be impaled with enchanted spears through their assholes to death.

Not only does he make movie games, games whose appeal is sucking the dick off Hollywood by providing nothing but visuals and story (as if the playing part of games is not "legit" enough to give any attention) but he also has the nerve to preach to designers like Remedy, CD Projekt, Volition and others about "growing up."

I mean just compare this twat to Gabe Newell. Gabe's DICE shindig was amazing because you felt he actually had something specific and concrete in mind, making the effort players put into games universal through the XP they gain and coin they make, giving the community their own custom stores, etc...

And then you have this twat going "We need to change our paradigms! Let us appeal to all audiences!" Ok very nice speechy words, now what motherfucker?

#79 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11471 posts) -

I just really don't care for Cage being as vocal as he is when all of the games he's made are interesting premises executed with varying degrees of success and ruined by late-game plot twists.

#80 Posted by oraknabo (1453 posts) -

Mature:

#81 Posted by SlashDance (1804 posts) -

He's been saying the exact same things since before The Nomad Soul. Why is everyone getting pissed now ?

#82 Posted by oraknabo (1453 posts) -

@SlashDance: Because the game industry has evolved and he still talks like he's the lone savior of maturity in games.

#83 Posted by Taku128 (793 posts) -

If David Cage wants more mature games he should try actually making one instead of pathetic plot hole-filled misogynistic garbage

#84 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) I enjoyed indigo prophecy

#85 Posted by DarthOrange (3851 posts) -

At least David Cage isn't such an asshole to say things like "Halo and Call of Duty are shitty games, I don't make shitty games" like that pompous dickhead who made Super Meat Boy. Granted Cage is simplifying most games but did he ever actually say that people should stop making kids games and ultra-violent games? Seems like he is just saying more people should step outside the mold.

#86 Posted by WasabiCurry (422 posts) -

@LikeaSsur said:

Reading through this thread, it's dawning on me that the video game industry is the only entertainment industry where its own fans don't bother to learn the names of the industry. It'd be like being a avid reader and not knowing J.K. Rowling or Neil Gaiman, or a movie lover not knowing Peter Jackson or Alfred Hitchcock.

Hey, people, don't worry: It's okay if you know who people are. They won't come and take your games, nor will they ruin them. I promise. Educate yourself just a little, pretend to be interested, and maybe, just maybe, pretend to have something more to say than "DON'T KNOW WHO HE IS, DON'T CARE LOL VIDYA GAMEZ."

Also, OP, did you even watch the video? He clearly says that video games will continue to be video games, he just wants the industry to mature a little bit more, which isn't a bad thing.

You have sold me that I should listen to the man's opinion.

After listening, he basically wants visual novels with controls...

I feel that he wants to more heavy rain type games. Or a better example, Indigo Prophecy. For myself, I deeply enjoyed Analogue: A Hate Story

Those games are good in their own ways, but to be honest, if there is no good story. I would be more bored than anything else.

You know, I think it was weird that he was talking about Journey, but didn't bring up The Walking Dead. I wonder why though. :<

If I could give one question to him, mines would be. Why not both? Why not both mindless, dumb games and thoughtful, smart video games? Can they not coexist or something?

Just like the film industry? I really did enjoyed Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters and I enjoyed Crash.

#87 Posted by fiberpay (282 posts) -

I actually think what he is doing is great. Alot of you criticize him but then when some of those topics he talked about come up you complain, like games not being taken seriously as a medium. Or the fact that call of duty makes a shit ton of money, there are tons of people on this site that bash on COD yet when this guy tries to talk about it on a stage, you criticize him. At least this guy has a vision and tries to help the industry instead of just hopping on the cash wagon.

#88 Posted by Hailinel (23870 posts) -

@WasabiCurry said:

@LikeaSsur said:

Reading through this thread, it's dawning on me that the video game industry is the only entertainment industry where its own fans don't bother to learn the names of the industry. It'd be like being a avid reader and not knowing J.K. Rowling or Neil Gaiman, or a movie lover not knowing Peter Jackson or Alfred Hitchcock.

Hey, people, don't worry: It's okay if you know who people are. They won't come and take your games, nor will they ruin them. I promise. Educate yourself just a little, pretend to be interested, and maybe, just maybe, pretend to have something more to say than "DON'T KNOW WHO HE IS, DON'T CARE LOL VIDYA GAMEZ."

Also, OP, did you even watch the video? He clearly says that video games will continue to be video games, he just wants the industry to mature a little bit more, which isn't a bad thing.

You have sold me that I should listen to the man's opinion.

After listening, he basically wants visual novels with controls...

I feel that he wants to more heavy rain type games. Or a better example, Indigo Prophecy. For myself, I deeply enjoyed Analogue: A Hate Story

Those games are good in their own ways, but to be honest, if there is no good story. I would be more bored than anything else.

You know, I think it was weird that he was talking about Journey, but didn't bring up The Walking Dead. I wonder why though. :<

If I could give one question to him, mines would be. Why not both? Why not both mindless, dumb games and thoughtful, smart video games? Can they not coexist or something?

Just like the film industry? I really did enjoyed Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters and I enjoyed Crash.

The thing to remember about Cage is that he is beyond eccentric. He has good ideas, but he gets so wrapped up in them that he doesn't seem capable of recognizing the flaws unless they're pointed out to him. And while the visual novel comparison is apt, I honestly wonder if it's a sentiment that he'd actually agree with or appreciate.

#89 Posted by Laiv162560asse (487 posts) -

@chrissedoff said:

@kadash299: Heavy Rain and Indigo Prophecy aren't great games. They don't demand any skill or brain power except for the quick time events, which is just the robotic reaction to on-screen button prompts. They're hackneyed pulp stories which have been poorly adapted to the video game medium. David Cage has all the pretensions that come with being an artist, but none of the talent. Considering how stupid his games' stories are and how boring they are to play, David Cage should be extremely psyched that his games have sold as well as they did. If the video game-buying public actually started to demand mature, intellectually stimulating games on a massive scale and shunned childish, stupid games, then David Cage's games would sell zero copies and he'd be out of a job.

Everything I wanted to say. Bolded the last part for emphasis and irony.

#90 Posted by WasabiCurry (422 posts) -

@Hailinel: I am just making my assumption based what I know on video games. Likely they are wrong, but I have tried to remain open minded to his speech.

Whether he will agree with it will remain unknown. I suppose the better question would be, how would response to criticism on his presentation. An actual criticism.

#91 Posted by egg (1450 posts) -

I watched the whole speech and I don't see what the hooplah is about. He never said that "fun" games should go away. So what's the problem?

#92 Posted by Jams (2959 posts) -

@egg said:

I watched the whole speech and I don't see what the hooplah is about. He never said that "fun" games should go away. So what's the problem?

I think a lot of people are getting offended because that guy basically insulted their tastes in games. Or at least they perceive it that way. I didn't get upset or disagree with what he said because I don't really care about those kind of games anymore.

#93 Posted by maskedarcstrike (701 posts) -

If it was up to him I'd only get to play games where I overcook food in the microwave and give it to Ellen Page.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.