Best Jaffe Interview Ever

#1 Edited by Branthog (7494 posts) -

So, TWiT managed to get David Jaffe on their first episode of Game On, last night and it turned out to be truly epic. Always opinionated and often abrasive, but he's clearly a push-over for certain ladies in his life. I watched this live and laughed myself stupid.

Edit: Apparently GiantBomb doesn't retain time codes, so the video just starts at the beginning. Just skip the video ahead, manually, to 15m30s to see the interview.

#2 Posted by DeadPan (324 posts) -

Thats amazing. That kid is hilarious

Jaffe is a god amongst men

#3 Posted by Winternet (8012 posts) -

Aaaand after 1 minute in I stopped. Hey, that's more than what usual.

#4 Posted by Branthog (7494 posts) -

@DeadPan said:

Did you watch the whole thing? It just keeps going on and on. For someone who seems so impatient, he has ridiculous patience. I would love to see more stuff from developers like this. Not all polished and edited and slapped with a bunch of logos on the front and back for marketing. This probably sold me on considering Twisted Metal more than anything else has, so far.

#5 Edited by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

That guys hair made me barf and now I'll probably dream about Korn and JNCO jeans tonight. Thanks dude.

#6 Posted by Branthog (7494 posts) -

@artgarcrunkle said:

That guys hair made me barf and now I'll probably dream about Korn and JNCO jeans tonight. Thanks dude.

Brian Brushwood? That's just his thing. He's a performer. He tours colleges doing magic and setting himself on fire and driving spikes into his face.

I just noticed that they did edit out all of Jaffe's swearing at the end of the interview, though. When he's talking about his kids, he drops like half a dozen F-bombs.

#7 Edited by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

@Branthog: Giving people douche chills shouldn't be "Your thing" but to each his own, takes all kinds and some other cliche.

#8 Posted by Branthog (7494 posts) -

@artgarcrunkle said:

@Branthog: Giving people douche chills shouldn't be "Your thing" but to each his own, takes all kinds and some other cliche.

That Game On show isn't really representative of his finer stuff. He's done a show called NSFW for a couple years which is pretty fantastic and also co-hosts Weird Things, which is a fairly intellectual endeavor (though, to be fair, he's more or less the spoil as the real content is from Andrew Main who is wickedly smart). He's also the guy who used to do those Scam School shows. Anyway, I think it took me a bit of exposure before I started to find him likable. This Game On show seems to be very much a work in progress (was apparently the first episode), so I think it just made everyone kind of look like your typical G4/excited-television-person douche-bags (excepting Sessler and Webb from that, of course).

#9 Posted by Getz (2996 posts) -

Brian Brushwood seems like an insufferable tool.

#10 Posted by Redsox44 (482 posts) -

@Winternet: Skip to 15:30 and its pretty great.

#11 Posted by RE_Player1 (7558 posts) -

I liked the Jaffe segment a lot and Veronica is a good host/interviewer. Other than that those other guys are meh.

#12 Posted by Spoonman671 (4588 posts) -

How long in until the good part?

#13 Posted by Branthog (7494 posts) -

@msavo said:

I liked the Jaffe segment a lot and Veronica is a good host/interviewer. Other than that those other guys are meh.

I know they've been toying with the entire concept of this show for a long time and the very first iteration of it was Tom Merrit, Glenn whats' his name (a game journalist), and . . I think Brian Brushwood, but I could be wrong. Anyway, it was just some dudes sitting around the table talking about games. Then the canned that, brought in Veronica, and relaunched it. I guess Leo Laporte is intentionally trying to make it a better version of the G4 show. They want it to be a really professionally, edited, shot, etc production. Unfortunately, while I like the people involved in the show, that isn't what I'm looking for in a videogame related show. A once a week show running down week-old news doesn't excite me, unless there's a lot of intelligent conversation surrounding it.

I understand they probably felt the "dudes sitting around talking games" thing is being done to death, so this probably won't be a show for me, but I do look forward to more strange interviews and moments like the Jaffe thing.

#14 Posted by Branthog (7494 posts) -

@Spoonman671 said:

How long in until the good part?

The video should start right at the interview. If it doesn't, just skip ahead to 15m30s.

#15 Posted by Akeldama (4244 posts) -

@Branthog said:

@DeadPan said:

Did you watch the whole thing? It just keeps going on and on. For someone who seems so impatient, he has ridiculous patience. I would love to see more stuff from developers like this. Not all polished and edited and slapped with a bunch of logos on the front and back for marketing. This probably sold me on considering Twisted Metal more than anything else has, so far.

Gotta help feed his farting kids, right?

#16 Posted by Branthog (7494 posts) -

@Akeldama said:

@Branthog said:

@DeadPan said:

If his marketing team was worth anything, they would get on the ball and center all of the Twisted Metal marketing around posters and photos and videos of his daughters with a tagline like "BUY THIS GAME OR THESE LITTLE GIRLS STARVE". I love the part where he's teasing one daughter about Bieber.

#17 Posted by Akeldama (4244 posts) -

@Branthog said:

@Akeldama said:

@Branthog said:

@DeadPan said:

If his marketing team was worth anything, they would get on the ball and center all of the Twisted Metal marketing around posters and photos and videos of his daughters with a tagline like "BUY THIS GAME OR THESE LITTLE GIRLS STARVE". I love the part where he's teasing one daughter about Bieber.

Its a side of Jaffe I never thought I'd see.

#18 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5417 posts) -

Thanks for posting! I saw Veronica talking about the show on her Google+ but hadn't checked it out yet. I like her, but this show isn't for me.

David Jaffe is fucking awesome, though. That was a great interview! I'll check out the show again if they have more interviews like this.

#19 Posted by SSully (4152 posts) -

Pretty good interview! If you like this kind of personal interview then check out his blog, he doesn't update that frequently, but when he does it is usually akin to stuff like this, sometimes better.

#20 Posted by WatanabeKazuma (989 posts) -

"FAIR ENOUGH!"

I think that is the first time I haven't heard him curse up a storm, that was great to watch. You can't help but find this endearing.

#21 Posted by FLStyle (4652 posts) -

Ahhh interesting, I'll give this a watch, thanks.

#22 Posted by Branthog (7494 posts) -

@WatanabeKazuma said:

"FAIR ENOUGH!"

I think that is the first time I haven't heard him curse up a storm, that was great to watch. You can't help but find this endearing.

In the last 90 seconds of the interview, he lets out about six or seven 'fucks', that seem to have been removed from the final product (not removed, but the words blanked out). Still, I completely agree about it being endearing. I've always kind of liked Jaffe, but it's great to see developers in their own world. Frankly, I think there would be a lot more civility when we discuss games and developers if we saw more of them individually (though I know the industry hates this idea, because they don't want developers to be rock-stars that then have their own clout).

#23 Posted by Branthog (7494 posts) -

@CharlesAlanRatliff said:

Thanks for posting! I saw Veronica talking about the show on her Google+ but hadn't checked it out yet. I like her, but this show isn't for me.

David Jaffe is fucking awesome, though. That was a great interview! I'll check out the show again if they have more interviews like this.

I completely agree. I will watch it from time to time, because it's simple enough to hit 'play' on iTunes while I'm doing chores or something and because I do like the hosts, but the format is not at all what I want. The first version of the show was called At The Controls and was more interesting, to me. I was bummed when I saw the rehearsal of the new format a couple months ago.

That said, I completely understand that Leo Laporte (the guy behind the TWiT network) is shooting for the more glossy "doing television better than television" style and demographic. Unlike most podcasters, he's not doing it just to do it. There are production costs and plenty of overhead and the show needs to reach a certain viewership to be sustainable (so they can sell ads). I believe 20,000 viewers is considered the floor (some of the shows on the network have closer to a million). But . . . I really wish they would have kept the more conversation-oriented format than the "here's the headlines, now an interview, now a whacky segment, and now some games to look forward to" thing.

Speaking of which, here is beta episode 12, when it was At The Controls. It also featured Glenn Rubenstein as the host back then (he still works with the new version, though -- if nothing else, he runs the LAN party that occurs after the show, on the air).

#24 Posted by countinhallways (632 posts) -

That was excellent!

Some of his mannerisms during the interview really reminded me of George Costanza for some reason. That face rub with the "What are y'gunna do?" really pinged me.

Then again I have been watching a ton of Seinfeld recently.

#25 Posted by Branthog (7494 posts) -

Cute. This post was moved into the "David Jaffe" forum. Presumably, because it involved content from somewhere other than GB. Where better to sweep that content without just labeling it "spam" and deleting it, than a forum that has had five posts in almost four years?

#26 Posted by DarthOrange (3858 posts) -

David Jaffe is a mother fucking legend!

#27 Posted by mordukai (7149 posts) -

I wanna go spike fishing with that dude's hair and I don't even like fishing.

#28 Posted by mordukai (7149 posts) -

@Branthog said:

@Akeldama said:

@Branthog said:

@DeadPan said:

Or have the tagline "Twisted Metal: You'll love so much you are going to fart" or something alone those lines. Twisted Metal: I FARTED!

#29 Edited by emem (1965 posts) -

Even though I disagree with quite a lot of his opinions I always thought that he's a cool guy and watching this just proved it. I bet life in his house never gets boring... awesome interview (and Veronica Belmont is too good for that show). 

I'm also really looking forward to Twisted Metal, hopefully people will buy it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.