Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

David Perry

Person » credited in 35 games

David Perry was the Founder & President of Shiny Entertainment, Inc., he is one of the most famous Video Game Industry veterans who has developed over 100 games across 29 video game platforms. Nowadays he is the CEO and co-founder of Gaikai.com.

PSP2 Talk Picks Up

• 59 results
    Coldfront

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By Coldfront

with the giant bombs (pardon the pun) sony just dropped at destination Playstation in regards to games for the psp i don't see how they could be within a year of announcing PSP 2

Gregomasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By Gregomasta

I want Whatever that pic is showing.

retroNutZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By retroNutZ

This seems like such a bad idea. Its not only going to be up against the DS(s) it will also be competing with Apple. Does Sony really have the right content driven structure that both Nintendo and Apple have? And will people that already own these competing portable devices really want to spend money on a product that failed once already?

BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#54  Edited By BiG_Weasel
    retroNutZ said:
    "This seems like such a bad idea. Its not only going to be up against the DS(s) it will also be competing with Apple. Does Sony really have the right content driven structure that both Nintendo and Apple have? And will people that already own these competing portable devices really want to spend money on a product that failed once already?
    "
    How do you figure they're going up against Apple? Iphone games have the depth of a kiddie pool.  DS isn't even targeting the older gaming crowd- that much you're correct on.  The PSP hasn't failed, it just had an identity crisis at first, and it never really got over that hump. Now that its a solid gaming platform that can do some amazing things (How they did God of War like they did blew me away!), the PSP2 could really capitalize on that upswing.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By MrKlorox

Would be a massive mistake to not include tilty-motion control. I remember buying the first PSP and Mercury when it came out thinking I would be able to just tilt it. Lame.

Also that lame PSP2 concept picture looks absolutely ridiculous uncomfortable and hideous.

strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#56  Edited By strangeling

So no backwards compatibility?  And I'm only interested if they let us use SD cards to store our downloadable content, not just their memory sticks.  Unless... will games be distributed on memory stick, not just digital downloads?

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Al3xand3r
    "Might as well toss in some motion control, just to keep up with what Apple's been doing. And hey, maybe do a touch screen, just for kicks! Of course, that stuff gets expensive fast, so maybe asking for all that is a bit much. But hey, let's get pie in the sky on this, right?"
    God forbid we mention Nintendo platforms or the company itself as something that's done good or something to imitate, right? Let's give it the Apple twist instead, yeah, that will work, because, ya know, a touch screen doesn't offer motion related controls, and Nintendo hadn't done portable tilt based games like Yoshi since the GBA days. Even if we just go by the actual market, like sales and shares, Apple is such a vastly more important competitor in the realm of portable game systems, right? Meh.

Aaanyway, how about exploiting the install base of the current PSP before trying to build a new handheld platform? Maybe it's way behind the DS but it still has its strong points and CAPCOM proved (at least in Japan) that you can have insane success with proper support for the system. With the current market situations it's unlikely to get a larger install base than the current PSP before several years pass anyway.

Other than a slightly enhanced control scheme, what new things would a new Sony handheld bring? A focus on digital distribution? That's what the memory sticks are for, the current store interface built into the latest firmware works like a charm, just add more than a meager 10 PlayStation Originals titles to it and expand the PSP specific library to include all the latest releases, not just a handful of them, if that. Also, more demos please.

Also, stop trying to make games that control like their dual analogue stick cousins on the home platforms. The PSP lacks a damn stick so revert to PlayStation style controls. Any genre worked fine on that machine, they can work just as well on the PSP with some proper thinking. For example, MGS: Portable Ops was the last game I played, when it was first out, and while it was pretty damn great the controls were horrid. They attempted to have the MGS3 camera (?!). What was so bad about reverting to the MGS style system, with a top down camera that automaticaly looks around corners when you're sneaking? MGS still plays great, as opposed to Portable Ops where the controls are an obstacle you overcome to enjoy the good game beneath it.

I haven't used my PSP in ages but after getting it online recently and updating the firmware I was surprised with how slick and functional the store interface is, testing it with the purchase of Guilty Gear, some PS1 titles, and a few demo downloads. It's definitely changed my opinion about the system's potential. If only Sony believed in it a little more. It seems I'm unlucky and my first (well, okay, I had a PlayStation also but only for a while, after the Saturn and before the Dreamcast) Sony system is the one with the least support.

Oh well, I might as well get a Monster Hunter title to make good use of it for at least a few hundred hours, while waiting for 3 to hit the Wii.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#58  Edited By Jayge_

Man all this crap is still getting discussed? The rumors are floating around, but they're pointless. Anyone can tell that they will not be releasing a PSP2 anytime this year, let alone anytime in the first half of next year. Possibly not even at the end of next year (although that's most likely). Stop feeding the sensationalists. A DLC-only device? Complete bullshit. The software push Sony has revealed, combined with the year's already strong lineup, and the games they claim have yet to be revealed into 2010, plus the current economic conditions and the fact that Sony just had to merge their VAIO and Walkman department with their gaming department, all point to no PSP2 anytime soon. No point in getting yourselves foaming at the mouth for no reason.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#59  Edited By Linkyshinks
    "Might as well toss in some motion control, just to keep up with what Apple's been doing. And hey, maybe do a touch screen, to appeal to developers and gamers in the same way the DS has"

EFT.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.