Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

David Wise

Person » credited in 60 games

David Wise is a former Rare music composer, most famous for his work in the Donkey Kong Country series, Diddy Kong Racing, and Star Fox Adventures.

Donkey Kong Country Music Guy Leaves Rare

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks
    David Wise, famous for his music work on Donkey Kong Country, has left Rare. In October he left the company, explaining on his Facebook that the studio's direction has changed so much that there's a lack of opportunity. 

I think the business of Rare has changed a great deal, and at the moment there is just not the opportunity to create the soundtracks that Rare were fortunately very famous for.

David Wise 
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JJOR64

I read about that a few days ago.  That's a big lose for Rare.  He made such great music for the Rare games.  Hopefully someone will pick him up soon so he can start creating music again.

Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Adamantium

You know... I really loved DK Country back in the day, but I can hardly remember any of the music from it, while I can still remember the music to Super Mario World or Goldeneye. Was it really good at the time? (honest question)

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Linkyshinks

It would be great if he came to work at Nintendo alongside Koji Kondo, but I think that's unlikely.

sgjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By sgjackson
    @Adamantium said:
    " You know... I really loved DK Country back in the day, but I can hardly remember any of the music from it, while I can still remember the music to Super Mario World or Goldeneye. Was it really good at the time? (honest question) "
    They all had decent music, but I think DKC2's music was definitely head and shoulders above the other two games.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ryanwho

He made some pretty rad music. Nintendo and/or Square Enix outta try and snag him up, he'd make an alright fit at either studio. But I suspect Nintendo will be the one to do it.

Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Adamantium
    @sgjackson said:
    " @Adamantium said:
    " You know... I really loved DK Country back in the day, but I can hardly remember any of the music from it, while I can still remember the music to Super Mario World or Goldeneye. Was it really good at the time? (honest question) "
    They all had decent music, but I think DKC2's music was definitely head and shoulders above the other two games. "
    Right on. I'll have to YouTube some gameplay to remember it more.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Scooper

Man. The music in Donkey Kong Country (Original, never really played/liked the other ones) was like 1/3 of the reason I loved that soo much. It's a shame there's no oppertunities for him in mordern day Rare.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ryanwho

I'd say the bigger shame is that he stuck around Rare so long after their prime. Rare was known for 4 three things, to me at least; their occasionally brilliant music, their occasionally brilliant shooters, their occasionally laughable art style, and their platformers. The section of the company responsible for Goldeneye and (the good) Perfect Dark are long gone, their music guy is gone, and their platformer guys are just, idunno, detached from what people are looking for now in platformers? So you just have these weird looking okay games.

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By VWGTI

@Adamantium said:

Dude, check out the awesome below. 

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By eroticfishcake

I can't remember any tunes in particular right now but the music in DK was pretty fucking rad. It's a shame that he's left Rare since they're such a great company. Wonder where he'll go now?

MikeHaggarKJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MikeHaggarKJ

That makes me sad. I used to love Rare back when nintendo didnt suck.

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#13  Edited By Symphony
    @VWGTI said:

"   @Adamantium said:

Dude, check out the awesome below. "
    Ahh you beat me to it. All great choices to link. 

It's too bad Mr. Wise will be leaving Rare, but at the same time he's right; Rare hasn't really had any memorable soundtracks in their games lately that I can recall. Hopefully he'll get the opportunity to work with another developer that will let him create more excellent music for us to enjoy.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

My personal favourite (and probably the reason why I am into Ambient music these days) is the music from the water stages. The fidelity is incredible for a SNES game. I guess he used recorded sounds for that, it sure doesn't sound like the usual MIDI stuff.

I think he will be fine, assuming he is not mentally stuck in the 16-bit era and went with the times.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#15  Edited By Forcen

Do not miss this great tune with some added rap.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b6c667dde711
    deactivated-5b6c667dde711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

A real sad moment, although I could see it coming since Dave hadn't been given any noteworthy titles to compose scores for in  a long time. I think it's clear that the company just hasn't been the same management-wise since the Stampers left, thus you see a lot of the old composers - Grant Kirkhope, then Steve Brand and now Dave Wise - leaving to achieve better things.

For those who only remember Dave's work on the original Donkey Kong Country, here's some more of his better and more recognisable pieces. I'd say his best was the entire score of Donkey Kong Country 2. Even if some don't view that game as highly as the original, the music he composed for it solo was phenomenal.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By toowalrus

That's too bad, but I was more disappointed when the Banjo_Kazooie / Viva Pinata guy left Rare. Or was it the same guy, who's just now leaving? (I'd heard Nuts & Bolts was his last game).

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ArchScabby

Really?  I though he left back when nuts and bolts came out.  huh...

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By Evilsbane

Rare has had it rough and the thing is the games they have put out since being bought by Microsoft are awesome just..no one buys them :(

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By keyhunter

Considering RARE has never made a bad game (All of them are pretty much perfect) I see this as being a terrible decision on his part. I suggest he teams up with Frank Klepacki and creates the most amazing musical score ever.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TooWalrus said:
    " That's too bad, but I was more disappointed when the Banjo_Kazooie / Viva Pinata guy left Rare. Or was it the same guy, who's just now leaving? (I'd heard Nuts & Bolts was his last game). "
    Yeah, Grant Kirkhope was the guy who left and did the Banjo/Viva Pinata soundtracks.

@keyhunter said:
    " Considering RARE has never made a bad game (All of them are pretty much perfect) I see this as being a terrible decision on his part. I suggest he teams up with Frank Klepacki and creates the most amazing musical score ever. "

They've made quite a few bad games, really, they just get overshadowed most of the time by the number of classics they've released. Perfect Dark Zero was pretty terrible, for example. If you've been keeping up with them lately then it's pretty clear that they haven't been as strong as they once were.
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By keyhunter
    @Kowbrainz: For an XBOX 360 launch game? No. It was incredibly good looking, and played almost identically to the original perfect dark. YOu're pretty much just telling me that the original perfect dark is bad even with better graphics.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@keyhunter: No I'm not. The original Perfect Dark is a lot more fun either way, despite how far the industry has come since then. Perfect Dark Zero, on the other hand, wasn't fun and there were already games like Halo around which had pushed the FPS genre forward which Rare hadn't really paid enough attention to with PD0. The game looked good, sure, but its gameplay was not.

Think there's already a topic on this side of Perfect Dark Zero in its respective forum if you want to keep this discussion up, though.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love how all his music feels so organic. I have the soundtracks to DKC1-3 on my computer. Love it. Sounds like nothing else around that time and even now it still sounds so unique and real.

And just for good measure, I'll throw in a couple of my favorite tracks that haven't been posted yet. 

L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By L33tfella_H

Sounds like Dave Wise made a Wise decision....I'm sorry :<

But for real, sucks that he's gone, but hopefully he'll find another company where he start creating some more banging tunes.

P.S Diddy Kong Racing Soundtrack - Perfection
    gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By gunswordfist
    @Linkyshinks:
    That sucks but his talent was being wasted. Let's see I hope....Capcom picks him up, I guess.
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Man! Well, hopefully his talents end up being used by another great company. DKC had some classy stuff.

Turtlemayor333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Turtlemayor333

You think maybe he left to work on this new DKC?

Blueman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Blueman

I hope he went to Retro, it would give me a lot of hope for the new game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.