Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Daybreak Games

Company »

Daybreak Games, formerly known as Sony Online Entertainment, is best known for their popular MMOs such as EverQuest, DC Universe Online, and PlanetSide. In 2020, Daybreak Games split into three separate development studios while the publishing side remained known as Daybreak Games.

Bad News: All Sony Online Games Taken Offline, Due to That Whole 'External Intrusion' Thing [UPDATED]

• 122 results
    alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By alex
    UPDATE: Sony just sent out a press release explaining the reason for the SOE outage, confirming that user information was stolen from the SOE servers in two separate incidents on April 16th and April 17th, 2011. Apparently, most of it was from an outdated database that mostly held expired credit card info. So says the release in greater detail:

This information, which was discovered by engineers and security consultants reviewing SOE systems, showed that personal information from approximately 24.6 million SOE accounts may have been stolen, as well as certain information from an outdated database from 2007.  The information from the outdated database that may have been stolen includes approximately 12,700 non-U.S. credit or debit card numbers and expiration dates (but not credit card security codes), and about 10,700 direct debit records of certain customers in Austria, Germany, Netherlands and Spain.

So, if you live in America, good news everyone! Your SOE customer info is probably safe. As for the rest of the world? Bad news, everyone! Your (hopefully) old credit card/debit card info may have been compromised. There is additional info on the situation over at SOE's website, including steps to take if your information was, in fact, compromised.

--

They say "when it rains, it pours." For Sony, these past couple of weeks have been less a pour and more of an end-of-Deep Impact brand of killer tidal wave. With the PlayStation Network still down and Sony still working on repairing the service's infrastructure in the wake of the intrusion by hackers that maybe-involved-your-identity-getting-stolen-but-possibly-it-didn't-but-more-likely-it-did, now yet another bit of bad news has befallen the beleaguered publisher.

No Caption Provided
    Sony Online Entertainment, the MMO arm of Sony's games division, put up notice today that it had taken down all of its online servers due to the "external intrusion" that Sony Computer Entertainment has been investigating relating to PSN. Though SOE's PC operations had thus far remained largely unaffected, intermittent website issues had been reported and acknowledged as early as April 21st, around the same time Sony opted to take the PlayStation Network down.

So reads the statement on Station.com:

"We have had to take the SOE service down temporarily. In the course of our investigation into the intrusion into our systems we have discovered an issue that warrants enough concern for us to take the service down effective immediately. We will provide an update later today (Monday)."

SOE would not elaborate on that statement when we asked.

SOE maintains a number of MMO franchises, including EverQuest, PlanetSide and DC Universe Online. While we don't know if the Monday timeframe is definite or just some kind of "high level ballpark estimate," we'll keep an eye on Station.com and update this story with new information that becomes available.
    alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By alex
    UPDATE: Sony just sent out a press release explaining the reason for the SOE outage, confirming that user information was stolen from the SOE servers in two separate incidents on April 16th and April 17th, 2011. Apparently, most of it was from an outdated database that mostly held expired credit card info. So says the release in greater detail:

This information, which was discovered by engineers and security consultants reviewing SOE systems, showed that personal information from approximately 24.6 million SOE accounts may have been stolen, as well as certain information from an outdated database from 2007.  The information from the outdated database that may have been stolen includes approximately 12,700 non-U.S. credit or debit card numbers and expiration dates (but not credit card security codes), and about 10,700 direct debit records of certain customers in Austria, Germany, Netherlands and Spain.

So, if you live in America, good news everyone! Your SOE customer info is probably safe. As for the rest of the world? Bad news, everyone! Your (hopefully) old credit card/debit card info may have been compromised. There is additional info on the situation over at SOE's website, including steps to take if your information was, in fact, compromised.

--

They say "when it rains, it pours." For Sony, these past couple of weeks have been less a pour and more of an end-of-Deep Impact brand of killer tidal wave. With the PlayStation Network still down and Sony still working on repairing the service's infrastructure in the wake of the intrusion by hackers that maybe-involved-your-identity-getting-stolen-but-possibly-it-didn't-but-more-likely-it-did, now yet another bit of bad news has befallen the beleaguered publisher.

No Caption Provided
    Sony Online Entertainment, the MMO arm of Sony's games division, put up notice today that it had taken down all of its online servers due to the "external intrusion" that Sony Computer Entertainment has been investigating relating to PSN. Though SOE's PC operations had thus far remained largely unaffected, intermittent website issues had been reported and acknowledged as early as April 21st, around the same time Sony opted to take the PlayStation Network down.

So reads the statement on Station.com:

"We have had to take the SOE service down temporarily. In the course of our investigation into the intrusion into our systems we have discovered an issue that warrants enough concern for us to take the service down effective immediately. We will provide an update later today (Monday)."

SOE would not elaborate on that statement when we asked.

SOE maintains a number of MMO franchises, including EverQuest, PlanetSide and DC Universe Online. While we don't know if the Monday timeframe is definite or just some kind of "high level ballpark estimate," we'll keep an eye on Station.com and update this story with new information that becomes available.
    Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Funkydupe

Blasted SkyNet!

Portis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Portis

Good lord.

Bacchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Bacchus

Sucks to be Sony.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Commisar123

yay.............................

masonl87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By masonl87

and not a single fuck was given that day

Pop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Pop

wow that's pretty bad, I hope they didn't get into that too, it would be crazy if they(the hackers) did.

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By ttocs

More?  This keeps piling on...At least it's not a new issue, but interrupting more services is never good for the fans.

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By craigbo180

It just keeps getting worse and worse for Sony.

gordjt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By gordjt

This sucks, I was hoping to play some DCUO when the PSN comes back online (hopefully) this week...

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By RIDEBIRD

For fucks sake! I used my fucking credit card to sign up for DCUO. I cannot fucking believe how utterly terrible Sony are at handling their shit.

GAH
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Scooper

I feel sorry for Sony.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

In a few days, they'll be telling everyone that they may want to change their credit card information for a second time, won't they?

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14  Edited By carlthenimrod

Star Wars Galaxies has become self-aware.

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By teh_destroyer
    @Funkydupe said:
    " Blasted SkyNet! "
    yeah, sony is being held hostage by that army of robots that Giantbomb pushed back.
    Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By MachoFantastico

Star Wars Galaxies is doomed!

Oh wait...

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#17  Edited By Little_Socrates

This is just getting silly.

Swordfish9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Swordfish9

Wat them Skynet are back!!

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DonPixel

Brand killing tidal wave indeed, shame. 

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @carlthenimrod said:
    " Star Wars Galaxies has become self-aware. "
    It took itself offline.  Seems a pretty fair sign of intelligence.  Or maybe it just got locked an in a teleport screen.
    Avatar image for deactivated-64d26467db8de
    deactivated-64d26467db8de

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

So, MMOs have been playable throughout the PSN outage and they're only now being taken offline? Please pardon my ignorance about these types of stories, until last week I thought "servers" were those people who bring food to you at fancy tablecloth and metal cutlery restaurants.

StealthRaptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By StealthRaptor

Finally some bad news that doesn't affect me.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Azteck

Jesus, Sony cannot catch a break it seems

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By Afroman269

All we need now is for a kill code that is accidentally sent out and fucks all the Blu
    Ray drives in all PS3s.

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By Sayishere

Im glad i dont play SWG anymore :P

THRICE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By THRICE

If I was just a SOE user I would be furious. The PSN went down and Sony waited to tell us anything then dropped a bomb on us. They told those folks everything was fine and there was nothing to worry about. 

How has Sony's PR gotten this bad in 5 years? Seriously they were on top of the world for two generations and now in the eyes of the consumer they look more like the Three Stooges than a former leader of the industry.
    ICF_19XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ICF_19XX

@Alex DC Universe Online not DC Online Universe.

Bertlezat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By Bertlezat

"For Sony, this past couple of weeks has been less a pour and more of an end-of-Deep Impact brand of killer tidal wave. "  

Wait... killer tidal wave? in Japan?
    sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By sameeeeam
    @Scooper said:
    " I feel sorry for Sony. "
    jack_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jack_daniels

Whiskey Media's weekend outage seems like a light mist as compared with this hurricane of sony's outages!

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By clstirens
    @THRICE said:
    " If I was just a SOE user I would be furious. The PSN went down and Sony waited to tell us anything then dropped a bomb on us. They told those folks everything was fine and there was nothing to worry about. 

How has Sony's PR gotten this bad in 5 years? Seriously they were on top of the world for two generations and now in the eyes of the consumer they look more like the Three Stooges than a former leader of the industry.
    "
    "in the past five years"

Not to sound troll-like, but weren't we all mocking how bad their PR was five years ago? I mean, RIIIIIIDGE RACER/Giant Enemy Crab and all that?

I assume you mean that they were good before THAT.
    Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Vexxan
    @masonl87@gmail.com said:
    " and not a single fuck was given that day "
    PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Have all 20 SOE users been informed of this?

kmg90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By kmg90

Wait, they just took down other parts of Sony's online network after revealing that PSN had a network intrusion?

WTF?

Were they just sitting around and thinking after 2 weeks they might want to check their other services?

Seriously!?

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By dtat

Wow. Sony is going under after all this.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#36  Edited By Cirdain
    @Vegsen said:
    " @masonl87@gmail.com said:
    " and not a single fuck was given that day "
    "
    wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By wickedsc3

It just keeps getting worse for sony.

SpicyRichter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SpicyRichter

I wonder what the long term fallout of this will be vis-a-vis customer relations for Sony? A lot of friends with PS3s are PISSED right now. Now they're reaching into the PC market to piss those people off. We all know how mad dedicated MMO people can be.

If it's down long enough, will people just move on? What kind of down time would they be looking at for them to lose a meaningful percentage of users?

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Sambambo

I own a PS3 and my details are most likely in the hands of hackers, but this news makes me happy. Sony have an unrelenting smugness, and hopefully this will either put them in their place, or make them try harder. Win Win.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @clstirens said:

" @THRICE said:

" If I was just a SOE user I would be furious. The PSN went down and Sony waited to tell us anything then dropped a bomb on us. They told those folks everything was fine and there was nothing to worry about. 
    "
    "in the past five years"Not to sound troll-like, but weren't we all mocking how bad their PR was five years ago? I mean, RIIIIIIDGE RACER/Giant Enemy Crab and all that?I assume you mean that they were good before THAT. "
    I think he's lost a decade there or something.  Even so, during the middle of the PS2 era Sony got quite a lot of stick for lasers going bung just outside of warranty.
    PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
    @Dtat said:
    " Wow. Sony is going under after all this. "
    Haha. No. No they are not.
    andrewf87462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By andrewf87462

It's just going from bad to worse at the moment for Sony.
    RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By RazielCuts

We'll look back in a few years and say 'Sony who?' 

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By animateria
    @Bertlezat said:
    " "For Sony, this past couple of weeks has been less a pour and more of an end-of-Deep Impact brand of killer tidal wave. "  

"
    Too soon.
    Tibber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Tibber

glad i don't play those

DougQuaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By DougQuaid

What?! No PlanetSide or SWG?!

theveej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By theveej
    @PrivateIronTFU said:
    " Have all 20 SOE users been informed of this? "
    shinluis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By shinluis
    @Bertlezat said:
    " "For Sony, this past couple of weeks has been less a pour and more of an end-of-Deep Impact brand of killer tidal wave. "  

"
    No
    Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By unsolvedparadox

Another vulnerability, just discovered? How many SOE users have continued to expose themselves to additional data theft since the initial announcement/PSN takedown as a result?

This story gets scarier and scarier...
    Pink_o_mat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Pink_o_mat

Any Sony online services left unhacked?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.