Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Daybreak Games

Company »

Daybreak Games, formerly known as Sony Online Entertainment, is best known for their popular MMOs such as EverQuest, DC Universe Online, and PlanetSide. In 2020, Daybreak Games split into three separate development studios while the publishing side remained known as Daybreak Games.

Bad News: All Sony Online Games Taken Offline, Due to That Whole 'External Intrusion' Thing [UPDATED]

• 122 results
    thenexus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#101  Edited By thenexus
    @Cogzwell said:
    " People don't just hack online networks! This isn't just a matter of Sony got unlucky, this is a matter of Sony let a lot of people get screwed do to lack of proper security infrastructure. If this isn't Sony's fault than why is it we never see crap like this happen to Xbox live or Steam? Oh yeah! because they have secure servers! (I'd assume) "
    You are correct.
    A hack means that someone attempts to modify/change/adapt/gain entry into something. To do so they exploit a bug/flaw/hole in the system to do so.

AS you indicate while it aint on and I feel for Sony clearly there has been some gaping wholes in their system to cause this and require the downtime and work to fix them.

I will have a guess that the playstation network and SEO service shared the same structure or some code/structure was very similar so that the same exploit could be applied.
    subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By subyman

Good god, they need to just pack it up and leave town.  It took them half a month to realize they were attacked?

Caegn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#103  Edited By Caegn

Sony did say that they only just found out about the breach of SOE.  Strange as it sounds, I really hope they're lying.  Really REALLY hope they're just lying.

Cause the alternative is that two weeks went by after PSN got hacked, before it occured to them to check their other systems.  Really REALLY REALLY hope they're just lying.  The deception would piss me off, sure.  But the alternative is just sad.

How can a company that can be so good on the hardware end, suck so very much on the programming and PR ends?  Sometimes I feel sorry for the hardware devs there.  They live up to their part by making impressive stuff, only to watch the other departments butcher everything they touch.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#104  Edited By Lunar_Aura

Poor Sony. :(
    Kordesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Kordesh

Why am I less than surprised at Sonys utter incompetency. This is why I canceled my card and got a new one regardless after the first issue.

Matfei90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#106  Edited By Matfei90
    @Ertard said:
    " For fucks sake! I used my fucking credit card to sign up for DCUO. I cannot fucking believe how utterly terrible Sony are at handling their shit.

GAH
    "
    Same here... I thought I was safe as I've never bought anything through PSN, assuming it was limited to PSN.

Good job, Sony.
    Avatar image for p_pigly_hogswine
    P_Pigly_Hogswine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So as an Australian who bought a PS3 in 2008 should I be worried? And when should I consider cannibalism?

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#108  Edited By McGhee

If you were smart you would've canceled your card already anyway.

p_p_o_d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By p_p_o_d
    Weird that someone would even bother attacking SOE.    most people including sony employees have forgotten it exists 

Also if I where the one investigating the recent sony hacks I would start looking at the 200 SOE employees fired a month ago.   

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By RsistncE
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#111  Edited By Sooty
    @McGhee_the_Insomniac said:
    " If you were smart you would've canceled your card already anyway. "
    Can't login to find what cards I have on there, been so long since I bought anything.

FFFFFFFFFF
    SK2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By SK2

Sony keeps going back and forth in their statements and even though I'm unaffected by it, it's annoying me. I can only imagine what it's like for those who are affected by it and have to remain on their toes about their credit cards.

I think Sony needs to release facts before they start releasing speculation.

DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#113  Edited By DukeTogo

As if playing SWG for a month in 2003 was punishment enough, now this.

Maotou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#115  Edited By Maotou
    @Swordfish9 said:
    " Wat them Skynet are back!! "

What!? I'm not prepared for this attack dammit!

And in other news, Sony has been royally screwed up the arse yet again. Sony just can't catch a break can't they?
    02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#116  Edited By 02sfraser

I live in the UK but got a new debit card recently do hopefully I'll be okay. I think they way Sony are handling this is terrible. I feel sorry for them but they just keep releasing 'maybe' and 'probably' answers which is no use. Customers need a definite answer when it involves their details being stolen!

thepantheon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#117  Edited By thepantheon

Nice try with that linked to Screened.com but I ain't fallin' for it, Gadget!!

Nomin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 9

#118  Edited By Nomin

Okay, now, I'm feeling a tinsy bit of sympathy for this conglomerate multi-national corporation. Just a weensy bit. 

Druminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Druminator

Ugh. No PSN for two weeks now. The worst thing for me is not being able to update some new games I got so they're kind of glitchy and cause my PS3 to freeze, fuckin' sucks!!

Avatar image for deactivated-64d26467db8de
    deactivated-64d26467db8de

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Raven10:  Thanks!

I don't have a PS3 so I'm doing what I can to protect my info on Xbox Live, Steam, Apple, Amazon... damn. How many of my credit card numbers are floating around out there?
    kmg90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#121  Edited By kmg90
    @Druminator said:
    " Ugh. No PSN for two weeks now. The worst thing for me is not being able to update some new games I got so they're kind of glitchy and cause my PS3 to freeze, fuckin' sucks!! "
    Game updates are still operational, I just received Assassins Creed in the mail, never played before on my current system, it prompted for '1.10' update which it did download and install with out a hitch
    Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

This is all just a scam to make sure no one can ever
    have free online access to Sorny's shit ever again.
    Probably Sorny hired someone to fuck it up to give
    justification for jacking up prices to the masses.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.