Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Daybreak Games

Company »

Daybreak Games, formerly known as Sony Online Entertainment, is best known for their popular MMOs such as EverQuest, DC Universe Online, and PlanetSide. In 2020, Daybreak Games split into three separate development studios while the publishing side remained known as Daybreak Games.

Columbus Nova buys SOE, will probably do Xbox games too

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Blu3V3nom07
    No Caption Provided

Investment firm Columbus Nova has acquired Sony Online Entertainment, the company announced today, and has rebranded the studio as Daybreak Game Company LLC.

Daybreak will operate as an independent game development studio under the new title, according to a press release, and will continue to work on MMO-style games.

"We see tremendous opportunities for growth with the expansion of the company's game portfolio through multi-platform offerings as well as an exciting portfolio of new quality games coming up, including the recently launched H1Z1 and the highly anticipated EverQuest Next to be released in the near future," said Jason Epstein, senior partner at Columbus Nova.

Columbus Nova is a NYC-based investment firm managing over $15 billion in its own assets and partnering portfolio companies. It operates four different investment groups specializing in corporate credit, private equity, venture/growth equity and real estate.

"We are excited to join Columbus Nova's impressive roster of companies," said John Smedley, president, Daybreak Game Company. In a recent Tweet, the president also said he can't wait to make Xbox One games following the acquisition, and that all of SOE's existing games are still under Daybreak's care,and will continue to be.

H1Z1's early access launched Jan. 15, and although players will be able to get a taste of the survival/horror game's mechanics and world, Smedley was quick to warn that it's not yet a finished game, and anyone expecting it to be may want to hold off until the full release.

Polygon: Sony Online Entertainment sold off by Sony, renamed Daybreak Game Company

IGN: COLUMBUS NOVA ACQUIRES SONY ONLINE ENTERTAINMENT

Gamespot: SOE Turns Independent, Eyes Xbox Support

Kotaku: Sony Sells Off Studio Behind Everquest,H1Z1

No Caption Provided

I'll be very excited to try and see what Everquest Next and H1Z1 turn into, and play them on XONE. I could see myself finally getting into Everquest, doing giant raids, bigger than Destiny even. Or at least explore a bunch of stuff, and take some screenshots and stuff. It would be neat though if they would have a cheaper subscription play, for say like $5 a month, you get a solid set of costume items, and extra things every month. Maybe have a free mount every 6 months for subscribers, I dunno.

Even DC Universe looks old compared to Everquest Next at this point. I still don't know about H1Z1 much, though. So maybe that could turn into something good. I have both current-gen consoles.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.