Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

DayZ

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 13, 2013

Beginning as a mod for ArmA II, DayZ has players attempting to survive a zombie outbreak in a large fictional post-Soviet country.

DayZ finally being ported to consoles? (leak)

Sajorij

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sajorij

An article from a respected Slovakian newspaper finally revealed that Bohemia (or more specifically Cauldron Games) is indeed working on a console version of DayZ. Czech version of Eurogamer actually reported this - Link (Czech).

No Caption Provided

The newspaper article is about Bohemia's recent purchase of Cauldron. The highlighted parts of the article translated:

"The extremely popular survival simulator DayZ, which sold more than 1.7 million copies worldwide, will be developed in Bratislava. (...) 'We were looking for people with experience in developing games on consoles. We found them in Cauldron,' explains Ota Vrtátko, the publishing director of Bohemia Interactive."

So it's basically a done deal.

-Cipher-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By -Cipher-

Wrong board... hate to be that guy :\

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Would be cool if they made the game good first

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Having played Day Z....I cannot imagine how they will redesign the interface to work on consoles. It barley works on PC

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By spraynardtatum

Hopefully it can keep its deep controls. I think it'd fit pretty well on consoles but I don't envy the people who have to cram all the different interactions you can do in DayZ on a single controller.

Good luck Bohemia!

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0d1bbdad7de
    deactivated-5d0d1bbdad7de

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

...Wii...U?

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully it can keep its deep controls. I think it'd fit pretty well on consoles but I don't envy the people who have to cram all the different interactions you can do in DayZ on a single controller.

Good luck Bohemia!

That's a good point, I would imagine certain sacrifices would have to be made on some of the characters abilities to avoid it being too cumbersome on a console. But, maybe they can pull off an equivalent experience.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as they wait until it's closer to a finished build, I guess this is ok. Selling this on consoles in the state it is now would be almost criminal.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Vuud

It's such a weird thing that you'd never think it would be successful on consoles, but then look what happened to Minecraft. Let's see how it works. Arma is built on such ancient architecture that I wonder how new consoles can handle it, like a teenager today trying to drive stick. I think there have been several failed attempts in the past to port Arma to consoles, and there was OFP Elite which sort of worked. Just like the STALKER games; there was an attempt to bring Call of Pripyat to consoles, but the X-Ray engine is in such a messy state, being in development since ~2001 shifting to several renderers from DX 8 all the way to 11.1 that is was just impossible to port to console hardware. That led to members of the GSC STALKER team splitting off to form 4A (developers of Metro) because they wanted to branch out to developing on consoles, and they knew back then that you just couldn't to that with X-Ray.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#10  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

Cauldron, huh. They have a pretty spotty track record at best. Soldier of Fortune: Payback was really, really bad. I'm seemingly one of the few who thought Chaser was pretty alright, though didn't take enough advantage of it's setting - I mean, it was set in a cool cyberpunk future with some hints of Total Recall, a massive space station, so large it could be seen from the surface of the Earth .. and then you're given a selection of weapons straight out of Counter-Strike, all boring present day stuff like the AWP, AK47 and Desert Eagle. Not even with any futuristic weapon attachments, just straight up present day guns. I haven't heard a single good thing about their History Channel games.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Uhh consoles are dead, why would they waste their time on this?

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@vinny_says: Day Z will bring back console gaming from the dead.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Sooty

It's not close to being a finished product on PC, I think they should be hiring more people to get the original version content complete before having it ported.

And optimisation wise...oh god, it will be lucky if the Xbox One could even run it at 640x480. It's very spotty on PC not to mention all the bugs.

I don't envy the people having to manage the console version, it will be like Minecraft I imagine...behind the PC version in terms of features and bug fixes waiting for them to trickle down.

edit: I don't think controls will be too big an issue because there's a lot of stuff you don't really need to use on the PC, many of them are just leftovers from Arma.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@vinny_says: what are you even saying

isn't it obvious? Nobody's buying consoles anymore. Shit is straight up done, these things can't even run at 1080/60 lawl!

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

The game runs like garbage, looks like garbage and is not even close to being a finished game serious flaws in almost every aspect, so IF this did come out for consoles it is not happening for awhile DayZ would past cert like nerf ball through concrete.

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Hopefully Sony's H1Z1 fills this sort of game on the PS4.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.