Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

DayZ

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 13, 2013

Beginning as a mod for ArmA II, DayZ has players attempting to survive a zombie outbreak in a large fictional post-Soviet country.

So this just came out on Steam as Early Access.

owack6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Was just looking at my friend list and saw someone was playing DayZ and saw it was finally released as an alpha after almost 2 years of promises finally we have something to play.

Here is the link the game is currently 30$ and supposedly in very early alpha and prone to crashes and other nasties: http://store.steampowered.com/app/221100/?featured_app=1

BamSaidTheLady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still buying right now! Had a lot of fun with the mod. Crazy that it says in the Steam page they don't expect to hit beta for another year.

Dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By Dark

Man, don't look in its forums on steam, people really need to learn what Dayz actually is and what early access actually is.

Pretty clear message on their early access thing as well, basically 'Do not buy unless you know what an early alpha is.'

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

It's definitely an insta-buy for me if only to support the game. The Mod was pretty sweet, and I'm glad to see a version of the stand alone out there.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

The Steam forums are good entertainment sometimes.

No Caption Provided

Dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb: Hey man lets be serious here, it does suck ....

The money right out of my wallet :D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Retromancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some of the choices they made are kind of bizarre. After twenty minutes the game was telling me how sleep deprived, hungry, and thirsty I was non-stop. I read something that when you log off your character sleeps, which if that's the only way to sleep, kind of sucks balls.

Garfield518

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some of the choices they made are kind of bizarre. After twenty minutes the game was telling me how sleep deprived, hungry, and thirsty I was non-stop. I read something that when you log off your character sleeps, which if that's the only way to sleep, kind of sucks balls.

That system is pretty buggy at the moment, you can go from completely full to extremely hungry in minutes.

But I recommend that you do eat and drink, and try not to run cross-country without stopping because if you fall unconscious, chances are, you won't be getting back up unless you just respawn, because the unconscious system is also bugged.

happenstance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I feel like ive been waiting for the stand alone version for so long now that ive pretty much lost interest in it. I might get it when it comes up cheap sometime but thats it.

Retromancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@garfield518:

I'll try that. Most of the supplies I've found have been off of bodies that I come across. I'm wondering if they actually implemented that no items respawn thing because so far most of the buildings they made enter-able have been completely empty. Still having fun with it though. It's actually a great looking game as well.

YOUNGLINK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know and OMG finally. Probably put 200 hours into the mod, been waiting 18 months for the stand alone. Welp, there goes my productivity. Hope they do a QL or something like Vinny and Drew did back when the mod was the hottness.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I feel like ive been waiting for the stand alone version for so long now that ive pretty much lost interest in it. I might get it when it comes up cheap sometime but thats it.

Yeah, me too. Shame, but such is life.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Hayt

Does it still play like a FFA shooter with a 20 km map or have they come up with compelling reasons not to shoot and rob everyone you meet?

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@hayt said:

Does it still play like a FFA shooter with a 20 km map or have they come up with compelling reasons not to shoot and rob everyone you meet?

So what you are asking is, if DayZ is still DayZ? I can confirm, that it is still DayZ

Tamaster92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Drew needs to do a quick look!

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By gaminghooligan

Here's a question. I haven't played Day Z in any form and I only watched the old quick look. Is this game approachable from the outset or do I need to spend some time watching how to's and surfing wikis before I can understand the mechanics?

Skyrider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaminghooligan: Honestly, it's not very approachable at all, and a lot of that is due to the controls. I do believe it is still the ARMA II engine, so it feels quite clunky. There are probably some videos with tips for beginners, so those would be worth checking out.

Loading Video...

Here's one of said videos. Bear in mind that some of this stuff may have changed as they're constantly patching the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.