Please do not let Jeff's opinion scare you off...

#1 Edited by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -

EDIT: This isn't some stab at Jeff or the games he does like you morons, this is just me saying don't let his thoughts put you off, take time and read the post before jumping to conclusions and sending me hate. Thanks. 

After hearing Jeff basically rip the game on the Bombcast I got quite annoyed because I know his opinion is powerful and will put a lot of people off.  

If you have been looking into buying it because you might like it, do it. I bought the game after seeing the Quick Look thinking I would enjoy the difference in combat to other MMO's and I haven't looked back. I currently prefer this to WoW. Whilst I doubt it'll consume me for as long as WoW did I'm certainly enjoying my time with it and I know many others are. So basically, form you own opinion. If you thought you might be interested try it out. I suggested the PC version if you can. 

That's about it really, just needed to get that off my chest. 

#2 Posted by ArchScabby (5809 posts) -

If Jeff doesn't like something, then I'm not going to play it.

#3 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

Its a solid MMO, but still...its no WoW.
#4 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@ArchScabby said:
" If Jeff doesn't like something, then I'm not going to play it. "
Sadly this is actually how I feel a lot of people in this community act. And the other way around.
#5 Posted by ArchScabby (5809 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" @ArchScabby said:
Sadly this is actually how I feel a lot of people in this community act. And the other way around. "
Well you're obviously not a real fan of Giantbomb then if you think this is wrong.
#6 Posted by supermike6 (3565 posts) -

Yeah, sometimes I think Jeff doesn't think about how much influence he really has before he speaks. Yeah, he has the right to speak his opinion, but the fact that people seem to take a lot of his complaints as fact is annoying. Especially since he has a habit of having games break on him in ways they never seem to break for anyone else.

#7 Posted by BraindeadRacr (523 posts) -
@ArchScabby said:
" @CL60 said:
" @ArchScabby said:
Sadly this is actually how I feel a lot of people in this community act. And the other way around. "
Well you're obviously not a real fan of Giantbomb then if you think this is wrong. "
I think you're turning into Oblivion's "Adoring Fan" with that one...
#8 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -
@supermike6 said:
"Yeah, sometimes I think Jeff doesn't think about how much influence he really has before he speaks. Yeah, he has the right to speak his opinion, but the fact that people seem to take a lot of his complaints as fact is annoying. Especially since he has a habit of having games break on him in ways they never seem to break for anyone else. "

Then the person who takes them as facts is to blame, not Jeff. Hes here to give his opinion, ill be it a shame that people take it so such an extent though.
#9 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -

I'm hoping @ArchScabby: was being sarcastic.

#10 Posted by Apathylad (3066 posts) -

Jeff never struck me as an MMORPG guy. I'm going to wait this out.

#11 Posted by Vorbis (2750 posts) -
@RiotBananas said:
" I'm hoping @ArchScabby: was being sarcastic. "
Likewise.
#12 Posted by Hourai (2795 posts) -

Even if he put a 2 star review up I'd still buy the game. He shit on Red Dead Redemption pretty hardcore and that's one of the best games I've ever played. 

#13 Edited by Jumanji (447 posts) -

I think Jeff and the gang are cool, real guys with good chemistry who bust out great jokes, and I love hearing their opinions on games. I also almost always disagree with said opinions when they're delivered on games that I've actually played. Somehow those two sentiments can coexist without a Tunguska event-like cataclysm.

#14 Posted by EpicSteve (6487 posts) -

It looked like shit in the quicklook. 

#15 Posted by Gabriel (4063 posts) -
@RiotBananas said:
@Vorbis said:
" @RiotBananas said:
Likewise. "  
Yes, can you really not tell sarcasm?
#16 Posted by Brendan (7817 posts) -
@supermike6 said:
" Yeah, sometimes I think Jeff doesn't think about how much influence he really has before he speaks. Yeah, he has the right to speak his opinion, but the fact that people seem to take a lot of his complaints as fact is annoying. Especially since he has a habit of having games break on him in ways they never seem to break for anyone else. "
Jeff sugar coating in any way his own opinions would be the worst thing that could happen to this site.  People are largely attracted to this site because they want to hear his (and the other guys) opinions, and trust them to a certain extent (for good reason).  People rely on sites like these because they can't buy every game to find out if it's good or not, so naturally a lot of people are going to based some of their buying decisions based on his recommendations.  This isn't wrong, it's natural for anyone who goes to a site to listen to others opinions.  I'm not saying we should have horse blinders on, but it's perfectly okay if some people are turned off a game by Jeff's opinion.     
#17 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

I agree, the game is great, the combat, story and everything is awesome. You guys should check the game out.

#18 Posted by mazik765 (2315 posts) -
@EpicSteve said:
" It looked like shit in the quicklook.  "
Huh...I thought it looked fun enough. Unfortunately my computer will likely not be able to handle it so I'll have to take a pass :(
#19 Posted by EndlessObsidian (476 posts) -

Everyone has opinions and I have no issue with that, but like RiotBananas said, his opinions have alot of power toward this site. I just hope people give this game a real try as it is a solid MMO. Also, just remember Jeff is not fond of RDR, it's only an opinion. 

#20 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

I'm scared

#21 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -
@mazik765 said:
" @EpicSteve said:
Huh...I thought it looked fun enough. Unfortunately my computer will likely not be able to handle it so I'll have to take a pass :( "

Could always play it on PS3 :P
#22 Edited by supermike6 (3565 posts) -
@Brendan said:

" @supermike6 said:

" Yeah, sometimes I think Jeff doesn't think about how much influence he really has before he speaks. Yeah, he has the right to speak his opinion, but the fact that people seem to take a lot of his complaints as fact is annoying. Especially since he has a habit of having games break on him in ways they never seem to break for anyone else. "
Jeff sugar coating in any way his own opinions would be the worst thing that could happen to this site.  People are largely attracted to this site because they want to hear his (and the other guys) opinions, and trust them to a certain extent (for good reason).  People rely on sites like these because they can't buy every game to find out if it's good or not, so naturally a lot of people are going to based some of their buying decisions based on his recommendations.  This isn't wrong, it's natural for anyone who goes to a site to listen to others opinions.  I'm not saying we should have horse blinders on, but it's perfectly okay if some people are turned off a game by Jeff's opinion.      "
I know it's not his fault. And I know he shouldn't (and probably couldn't) change in order to address this issue. I just get kind of annoyed when he shits on a game specifically because of a bug he encountered that no one else seemed to.  

EDIT: I haven't actually listened to the Bombcast, but I'm pretty sure that's not what happened in this case. It's just that it has happened before.
#23 Posted by BraindeadRacr (523 posts) -
@Gabriel said:
" @RiotBananas said:
@Vorbis said:
" @RiotBananas said:
Likewise. "  
Yes, can you really not tell sarcasm? "
I dunno, this being the internet with its mountains of WTF moments - Not really.
#24 Posted by sixghost (1679 posts) -
@RiotBananas said:
" After hearing Jeff basically rip the game on the Bombcast I got quite annoyed because I know his opinion is powerful and will put a lot of people off.   If you have been looking into buying it because you might like it, do it. I bought the game after seeing the Quick Look thinking I would enjoy the difference in combat to other MMO's and I haven't looked back. I currently prefer this to WoW. Whilst I doubt it'll consume me for as long as WoW did I'm certainly enjoying my time with it and I know many others are. So basically, form you own opinion. If you thought you might be interested try it out. I suggested the PC version if you can.  That's about it really, just needed to get that off my chest. "
Thanks for not even trying to refute any of the points he made. Great post.
#25 Posted by Potango (73 posts) -

i dont think jeff word on something can keep a good game down. one game comes to mind that he hated least year that everyone loved. 
Red dead.

#26 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -

I'm not going to pay for the privilege of forming my own opinion.  I've seen and heard enough to make me steer clear and that's good enough for me.

#27 Posted by DonChipotle (2768 posts) -

I haven't listened to the Bombcast yet, but I have been having a blast with DCUO. If Jeff doesn't like it, that's cool. Dude has his opinions and if I disagree I'll just be like "Well, that's fine" and get on with enjoying the game. DCUO is clearly not a game for everyone anyway.

#28 Posted by Zippedbinders (999 posts) -

I honestly don't think any of the crew's opinions on games have ever swayed a purchase for me either way. Sure, they're a factor that I weigh against a slew of others, but I've never gone "I'M NOT BUYING THIS BECAUSE RYAN HATED IT." More often than not I've already decided (or in most cases, bought) the game before they even review it or weigh in on the bombcast in any reasonable way. 

That said, I just don't like MMOs. I don't like kill X amount of X, I don't like having to deal with other people online, and I don't like monthly fees. So I wouldn't even get this game anyway, which is unfortunate since I love DC stuff and the character creator looked really nice.

#29 Edited by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -
@sixghost said:

" @RiotBananas said:

" After hearing Jeff basically rip the game on the Bombcast I got quite annoyed because I know his opinion is powerful and will put a lot of people off.   If you have been looking into buying it because you might like it, do it. I bought the game after seeing the Quick Look thinking I would enjoy the difference in combat to other MMO's and I haven't looked back. I currently prefer this to WoW. Whilst I doubt it'll consume me for as long as WoW did I'm certainly enjoying my time with it and I know many others are. So basically, form you own opinion. If you thought you might be interested try it out. I suggested the PC version if you can.  That's about it really, just needed to get that off my chest. "
Thanks for not even trying to refute any of the points he made. Great post. "
Okay, I will refute some of his points. 

He called it "monotonous": This is an MMO, which Jeff has never been keen on and doing repetitive things in an MMO is par for the course.  

He also said you can solo everything. That is by design. Would you really want to be forced to do things with others? You still have your group quests and you're not forced to solo anything. 

He says "You don't feel like you're hitting dudes, you feel like you're hitting buttons and watching it hit dudes" as a negative point for the game. It's a game? You hit buttons for things to happen, that's how 90% of games work.  
#30 Posted by DonChipotle (2768 posts) -

Well you can't really solo everything. Some of the late game bounties are rather difficult to solo. Which is why there are constanty people "lfg bizarro" 

#31 Posted by sixghost (1679 posts) -
@Zippedbinders said:
" I honestly don't think any of the crew's opinions on games have ever swayed a purchase for me either way. Sure, they're a factor that I weigh against a slew of others, but I've never gone "I'M NOT BUYING THIS BECAUSE RYAN HATED IT." More often than not I've already decided (or in most cases, bought) the game before they even review it or weigh in on the bombcast in any reasonable way.   That said, I just don't like MMOs. I don't like kill X amount of X, I don't like having to deal with other people online, and I don't like monthly fees. So I wouldn't even get this game anyway, which is unfortunate since I love DC stuff and the character creator looked really nice. "
who the hell does? What's important are the reason why they disliked it, not the fact that they disliked it.
#32 Posted by CornBREDX (5379 posts) -

Dont worry, while I respect Jeff his opinions are generally not close to mine on gaming. I share agreements more often with Vinny and Ryan.

Anyway, I already intend to get this on payday (2 days). Most game critics do not like MMOs so most gaming websites that have opinions on a new MMO I will take into account but not totally rely on. Besides I like me some MMOs and I haven't played one in awhile so I need a new one at least until SW:TOR comes out. I am hoping this one is good enough to hold me until then as last one I tried (champions online) while good, wasn't really holding my attention.

But ya, don't worry, I am not swayed by critical opinions on games in general. It's just something to take into account. Nothing more.

#33 Posted by MatPaget (1115 posts) -

So, what I've gotten from this thread is that DC Universe Online is really Red Dead Redemption in disguise?

#34 Posted by Zippedbinders (999 posts) -
@sixghost said:

" @Zippedbinders said:

" I honestly don't think any of the crew's opinions on games have ever swayed a purchase for me either way. Sure, they're a factor that I weigh against a slew of others, but I've never gone "I'M NOT BUYING THIS BECAUSE RYAN HATED IT." More often than not I've already decided (or in most cases, bought) the game before they even review it or weigh in on the bombcast in any reasonable way.   That said, I just don't like MMOs. I don't like kill X amount of X, I don't like having to deal with other people online, and I don't like monthly fees. So I wouldn't even get this game anyway, which is unfortunate since I love DC stuff and the character creator looked really nice. "
who the hell does? What's important are the reason why they disliked it, not the fact that they disliked it. "
 Well good then, it appears we're all on the same page
#35 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

I played it and found it lackin in many ways. 

#36 Posted by stafax (283 posts) -
@ArchScabby said:
Jeff hates everything
#37 Edited by DeShawn2ks (1055 posts) -

I haven't listened to this weeks bombcast yet but I am loving DCUO. I have been playing it almost non stop since I got it. If Jeff doesn't like it oh well that is his opinion and it won't effect how I feel about the game. If someone basis their decision on a game purchase based off a strangers decision that is their fault not Jeffs. I can solo a lot  if I want and don't feel forced to group until the higher lvl missions. Even then by that time I have formed a good group of friends by chance or busting up bad guys on top of Luthor Corp. If I am playing a MMO and I push a button and something happens that is a plus for me. I can't really think of the last time I wanted a game and someone else changing my opinion. I like what I like and they like what they like. The world keeps turning and I keep loving the games I am currently playing.

#38 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@EpicSteve said:
Vinny didn't have a clue what he was doing. The combat is about combos, all he was doing was right clicking. It would be like if they were showing off Street Fighter(Yes Street Fighter is a lot more complex, but I can still apply it here) and all they did was tap one button over and over.
#39 Posted by sterbacblu (231 posts) -

The funny thing is when I played the beta I thought "I bet Jeff will like this, it reminds me of PSO."  Whoops.  But yeah, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and their right to express it.  I don't think anybody fully matches up with someone else's beliefs.  Jeff didn't like Limbo, I loved it.  Jeff didn't like RDR, I didn't either.  Sometimes it matches, sometimes it doesn't.

#40 Posted by DeShawn2ks (1055 posts) -

Is anyone playing on the Redemption server on the PS3 version?

#41 Posted by EpicSteve (6487 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" @EpicSteve said:
Vinny didn't have a clue what he was doing. The combat is about combos, all he was doing was right clicking. It would be like if they were showing off Street Fighter(Yes Street Fighter is a lot more complex, but I can still apply it here) and all they did was tap one button over and over. "
That wasn't it. The game didn't appear to have a good direction, the starting areas seemed super generic, and there didn't appear to be any drive for players to actually go through the game. 
#42 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

I think the OP is simply stating that people, as well as Jeff should exercise a little more caution when it comes to talking about issues regarding games, because Jeff has very strong opinions, and sometimes his tone may come off as a little hard-nosed and "factual" sounding, even when it comes to talking about errors. I am hardly swayed by opinion, but I get what the OP is saying and no, he's not saying Jeff should censor his opinions, which would be the downfall of the entire reason for this fucking website.

#43 Posted by bybeach (4848 posts) -
@BraindeadRacr said:
" @Gabriel said:
" @RiotBananas said:
" I'm hoping  @ArchScabby: was being sarcastic. "
@Vorbis said:
" @RiotBananas said:
" I'm hoping  @ArchScabby: was being sarcastic. "
Likewise. "  
Yes, can you really not tell sarcasm? "
I dunno, this being the internet with its mountains of WTF moments - Not really. "

I agree. In normal consversation that might come off clearly as satire. On the internet though that could easily be trolling..hard to tell. Just saying.

All reviews are someone elses informed opinions..hopefully. The only time I do not trust a review by Jeff is during the summer, and that may be purely statistical since it is based on only a few games.. All the more so because I do regard Jeff as a premier reviewer. But I'll never forget that Castle wolfenstien sequel.  Maybe I need to try again, but I am having too much fun with replaying Mass Effect 2.
#44 Posted by DarkTravesty (330 posts) -
@RiotBananas: based on jeff's opinions and that i'm not going to take a $50-$60 gamble and there is no way of myself getting a trial i'll skip this game.
#45 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -
@Napalm said:
" I think the OP is simply stating that people, as well as Jeff should exercise a little more caution when it comes to talking about issues regarding games, because Jeff has very strong opinions, and sometimes his tone may come off as a little hard-nosed and "factual" sounding, even when it comes to talking about errors. I am hardly swayed by opinion, but I get what the OP is saying and no, he's not saying Jeff should censor his opinions, which would be the downfall of the entire reason for this fucking website. "
Nail. Head. You hit it.
#46 Posted by I_smell (3924 posts) -

I'm not playin it at all.

I'm not an MMO guy one bit, but this was like "The action MMO" it was calling itself. So I thought maybe it'll be kinda like a brawler, or maybe Marvel Ultimate Alliance or something.
Then you get in there n it's fuckin... 2x Cyborg husks, collect 10 civillian pelts, a race mission RIGHT outside the base.
The attacks are all super weak-lookin, phasers n lasers all over the place...

But hey, granted, I wasn't lookin forward to it anyway so no big deal.

#47 Posted by Yummylee (21786 posts) -

I won't be getting it, though it's all down to money constraints. Need my cash ready for Dead Space 2, Dragon Age 2, Yakuza 4 and possibly Killzone 3 <3

#48 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@EpicSteve said:
" @CL60 said:
" @EpicSteve said:
Vinny didn't have a clue what he was doing. The combat is about combos, all he was doing was right clicking. It would be like if they were showing off Street Fighter(Yes Street Fighter is a lot more complex, but I can still apply it here) and all they did was tap one button over and over. "
That wasn't it. The game didn't appear to have a good direction, the starting areas seemed super generic, and there didn't appear to be any drive for players to actually go through the game.  "
Generic Answer #34 as to why you shouldn't play a game. Congratulations. I've never heard that one before.
#49 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -
@I_smell said:
" I'm not playin it at all.  I'm not an MMO guy one bit, but this was like "The action MMO" it was calling itself. So I thought maybe it'll be kinda like a brawler, or maybe Marvel Ultimate Alliance or something. Then you get in there n it's fuckin... 2x Cyborg husks, collect 10 civillian pelts, a race mission RIGHT outside the base. The attacks are all super weak-lookin, phasers n lasers all over the place...  But hey, granted, I wasn't lookin forward to it anyway so no big deal. "
In the game's defence, the bolded bits speak for themselves. It's an Action MMORPG. Which is what they said it would be. You just described it exactly how it is supposed to be.
#50 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -
@EpicSteve said:
" @CL60 said:
" @EpicSteve said:
That wasn't it. The game didn't appear to have a good direction, the starting areas seemed super generic, and there didn't appear to be any drive for players to actually go through the game.  "
Ya it just looked boring as hell. And Jeff sounded really honest about the game, he's not shitting on it because it's just an MMO. The game sounds bland, short, and filled with go here and kill or collect X out of 25 things.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.