Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Island 2

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Apr 21, 2023

The second mainline entry in the Dead Island franchise.

Dead Island 2 gameplay trailer. Update: With more gameplay!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#1  Edited By Yummylee

Update: On the account of Escape from Dead Island looking to be multiple layers of shit, I figured I'd go on the look out for any more Dead Island 2 stuff. And lo and behold there was a whole developer walkthrough all the way from Gamescom, which shows a lot of the gameplay from the previously posted trailer but now guided from a player's perspective without any editing.

I think this all still looks alright, though I was surprised to learn that this game is sorta Journey/Destiny-esque in that it has a seamless world where you'll just randomly bump into other players. It's an interesting concept that I think would benefit from more developers having a go at anywhoo, so while I'm still a little sceptical, I'm not writing it all off completely.

Also, eight player coop. That's alright.

It still looks beautiful, too. The animations make it look like the analogue combat is still most definitely in effect, unlike Dying Light I'm to believe?

----------------------------------------------------------------

Well alright then.

I like that they've now decided to embrace the sillier side of Dead Island as opposed to having this weird dichotomy in the original. The most striking part of it all is the art style, with a lot of bloom and a bright, sunny coating that's draped over everything. I can't say I'm the most avid fan of this series, but I'm interested in seeing how this shapes up. Visually speaking it looks like it's managed to set itself apart from Dying Light a little at the very least.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Wait, people still care about Dead Island?

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Is it just me or does the blood look really good? I like how it doesn't look static and a lot of it comes out at once.

Should I have myself commited?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Is it just me or does the blood look really good? I like how it doesn't look static and a lot of it comes out at once.

Should I have myself commited?

I agree with you the blood looks great. The game itself just looks like Dead Island with more context sensitive animations though.

laserguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By laserguy

This is Dead Rising in First Person.

I think you will like it.

I want a Dead Island Monopoly

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

I have been playing through Riptide co-op lately and have been having tons of fun with it. I think if I had been playing it by myself I would not like it as much, but I feel like it is more fun than it is given credit for.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
    charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sigh. Again company misunderstood what people liked about the original game. It is fun when you can do crazy things in a serious environment. Doing crazy things in whacky environment rarely works as well. This is like with b-movies, the ones that are made seriously are fun - the "ooh look how comically terrible this is" ones are crap.

That said art style looks kind of nice and there is a small chance that this will be OK.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I didn't play the original, but going all in on the goofy and weird sounds like a good idea to me.

GRIMREEFZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

this looks soooooooooooooooo much better than dying light

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'm liking the tone they are taking. Seems more inline with the sort of gameplay Dead Island has offered in the past. I could barely make it through the first area in the original game. I'd be more willing to give this one a shot.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@charlie_victor_bravo: That style of contrast may work for something like Dead Rising, but in the original Dead Island it just seemed sort at odds. Plus, everything about the tone and story of Dead Island was utterly boring and forgettable. At least this one looks to have a little flair about it.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I didn't play the original, but going all in on the goofy and weird sounds like a good idea to me.

I always thought the original was a really fun game for like 3 hours, at which point it's just the same gameplay loop that doesn't seem to grow any more fun or interesting as it goes along.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

@bobafettjm: Thank you! I felt like I was taking crazy pills, having enjoyed both Dead Island and Riptide. Glad to hear I'm not alone.

As for Dead Island 2 (henceforth to be called DeadI 2), I can't wait. It looks like they've embraced the goofy side of things, so hipefully we'll have a GTA/Saints Row matchup in the more serious-looking Dying Light.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 69

@sparky_buzzsaw: I actually REALLY loved the first Dead Island and am still enjoying Riptide quite a bit. The games have their fair share of issues to be sure, but I don't see what is so bad about them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b911d3722cb7
    deactivated-5b911d3722cb7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it has the analog combat from the first game in it, I'll definitely pick it up. If not, I have no interest in this game at all.

Freshbandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@charlie_victor_bravo: Speak for yourself, after playing the original and riptide; This is exactly where the series needs to go to keep me interested.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
    charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@freshbandito: Yeah, I can see that too. Riptide felt too similar for me even to try and I loved the first one. I am just worried because this can easily be botched without some good writing.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Making electrified sledgehammers calls for a sillier tone than the last game. DI was a flawed gem, so a polished, duded-up sequel sounds good to me!

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

That looks great! The colours remind me of Dead Rising 2. I got to the city in Dead Island 1 and lost interest thanks to the sewers and the human fighting and just the city itself. That first area was a blast though.

Cool to see an opportunity for Yaegar to just let loose. Hopefully that's the plan.

Freshbandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Freshbandito

@charlie_victor_bravo: oh god yeah it could be awful with bad writing, I'm just hoping it comes off pretty well and reinvigorates my enjoyment because I do like the combat and general gameplay in the series.

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok, so this is set in California. And the series is called Dead Island. So we're totally going to Alcatraz, right?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bumped for more gameplay. And because I think it's worth reminding others of Dead Island 2's potential given the stream of shit that this series has been churning out lately.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully it turns out to be a fairly big world, seeing as hes saying its set in 3 cities in California. The Journey like drop in drop out stuff sounds really interesting and I like the direction they went, fuck trying to be serious in this series. After that amazing CG trailer from the first game and then what the game was, no one cares for that at this point so hes right on there.

I just hope the "no real ending" kinda thing doesn't mean within a couple hours I see the same few quests repeated over and over again like mmo's that have public events(ala guild wars 2), but I'm way more interested in this game than I was, thats for certain.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dead Island 1 was great until it turned into a corridor shooter in the latter third of the game. Then Riptide basically expanded that third into a whole game. One is still the best first-person melee game out there. Hopefully this one is a return to form.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.