Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Island Riptide

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Apr 23, 2013

Crash-land into another zombie-infested tropical island in this direct sequel to the 2011 survival horror action RPG, Dead Island.

Dead island riptide Destructoid Review leaked 5/10

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jimmyfenix
    Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I should not have to read the link to figure out what you're talking about.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

You forgot to put the game you're referring to in the thread title.

Avatar image for live2brighteous
    Live2bRighteous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's for Dead Island: Riptide everyone.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

It was in the riptide forums. There is a bug that moves your stuf to general when you edit. Stop giving him flak.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By OllyOxenFree

It was in the riptide forums. There is a bug that moves your stuf to general when you edit. Stop giving him flak.

Dave, site is broken. fixitfixitfixitfixit

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_laughing_man said:

Dave, site is broken. fixitfixitfixitfixit

its fixed you guys. yeah its strange it moves the topic to general

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

So back to the topic, I really liked Dead Island despite its quirks and rough edges and this looks like much of the same. It's a buy for me, but I'm waiting until it goes down to $20 or less.

As for the review, it's Jim Sterling. He can go off the reservation at times. I'll wait for some other reviews to surface before I pass judgment.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dalai: the only thing that bums me out from the review is that most of the frame rate issues and bugs still remain. i will play it but probably wait till it goes down in price

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My main problem with the first game was that the resort setting was the only interesting part of the game. I probably won't pick up riptide.

Avatar image for live2brighteous
    Live2bRighteous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Live2bRighteous

This'll go on sale on steam for $5 someday... that'll be when I pick it up.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By musubi

Not even bloody lady torsos could save this game apparently.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By Humanity

My main problem is if a game was well received and gets a sequel that doesn't iterate a whole lot, well it's still a great game, but when a game is mediocre and gets a sequel that doesn't change up the formula it's suddenly a huge detriment. I'm not saying Dead Island was some masterpiece but Sterlings initial quips about needing to have loved the original in order to get any enjoyment out of this one because it doesn't do a whole lot of new things could be levied against any number of popular sequels.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Sounds like exactly what I wanted out of this: more Dead Island. I expect more out of a Dead Island 2, but to me, Riptide is just an expansion with an unfortunate initial price.

GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Wow that sucks. I really couldn't get into the original tbh.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@humanity said:

My main problem is if a game was well received and gets a sequel that doesn't iterate a whole lot, well it's still a great game, but when a game is mediocre and gets a sequel that doesn't change up the formula it's suddenly a huge detriment. I'm not saying Dead Island was some masterpiece but Sterlings initial quips about needing to have loved the original in order to get any enjoyment out of this one because it doesn't do a whole lot of new things could be levied against any number of popular sequels.

I think his point is that this game still has real problems that weren't fixed from the last game. Even though Call of Duty might not change things up much from year to year, they are still making a well designed first-person shooter each time. It might not have the novelty of Call of Duty 4, but Modern Warfare 3 is still a pretty good shooter (presumably, I've never played it). There were some real problems with Dead Island and if they haven't fixed them, then that's a big problem. You can be forgiving up to a point the first time these things come up, but if a company refuses to fix real problems with the game then they should be criticized for it.

Also, unrelated to that, how the hell is this a $50 product? They are actively denying that it is a sequel, so if it's an expansion shouldn't it be like $20-$30?

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

He's talking more about the fact that there are a plethora of bugs, many of them game-breaking, that should have been fixed in this, no excuses.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

I played the first game after a few patches came out so I'll do the same with this one.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I loved the original game, but it kind of required you to have 2-3 buddies with you later on to not get overly frustrated by the hordes they threw at you IMO.

I picked this up for $26 as a pre-order on GMG, and I'm still excited to play it, Kotaku's review is pretty down on the game, too, but the reviewer gets a lot wrong from the first game, which makes me think she didn't play it much or at least didn't finish it.

I tend to enjoy games like this in spite of the rest of the world (aka mainstream media), so I'm still going to give it a chance.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By MocBucket62

If anyone wants an honest review, go see Tara Long's review of the game at Rev3Games. She said that the cooperative play is very fun and enjoyed the tower defense mode in it, but was overall disappointed that Tech Land did not make the necessary improvements to separate itself from the first game.

Loading Video...

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

Ripped from a post on neogaf RE: the Game Informer review:

''Riptide’s flaws are many, but they couldn’t hold me back from having a blast. Few games nail the visceral feel of melee combat and co-op fun like Dead Island.''

''Importing your survivor:

Players can import characters from the first Dead Island – whether you beat the game with them or not -– as long it’s on the same profile. These characters transfer over with nothing but their previous skills and level. This is great for dedicated players who maxed out their Dead Island characters, and there are even a few new skills to learn. If you’re starting fresh in Riptide or your previous character is fairly low-level, you can start a new character with 15 skill points free to allocate how you see fit.''

I had no idea you could do a character import, that's actually pretty cool.

Game Informer review

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By leebmx

I enjoyed the first game quite a bit. I just really don't see why they didn't give it a little bit longer and make a proper sequel. I guess they were worried about the turn of the console cycle or its just a filthy cash grab.

Its a real shame because that game could have been turned into something really special rather than just more of the same, dumb fun

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.