Does your life need more dismembered statues of ladies?

• 133 results
#101 Posted by LTSmash (556 posts) -

It's almost as if they were actively trying to make the most offensive thing ever.

#102 Posted by Brodehouse (9370 posts) -
@Gamer_152 I might have to disagree with you. Certainly there will be a reaction to a torso in your house, but the reaction to a lady torso will be much greater. Case in point; this entire discussion..! This discussion isn't here because our community in particular is bent around the notion of women suffering violence (zombie violence), our entire culture is bent around women suffering violence. Actually, mark that, our entire species reacts stronger to violence suffered by women out of pure lizard-brain survival. We wouldn't be near as shocked by a guy's torso because we've always considered men as the appropriate receptors of violence. Even zombie violence.

@panvixyl And speaking from my experience, girls are more interested and actively sexual than any of them would admit publicly, because that would be just SCANDALOUS. All her girlfriends would talk shit about her and all her boyfriends would be up for it.

I would agree on an overall level that underwear models wouldn't get (hetero) women as sexually turned on as some other examples, because underwear models don't represent traditional masculinity beyond athleticism. This is why all 'sexy' male poses emphasize action, danger, independence, and why women notice what a man is wearing before his actual body features; sexes judge and are judged on different things. So yeah, I agree with you that the naked, supine man is probably not as sexually desired as his distaff counterpart.
#103 Posted by Poppduder (460 posts) -

Technically its a STATUE of a DISMEMBERED lady.

Also, what are the chances that the guy (yes, presuming it was a guy who thought this up) went home to his wife and talked about the big slam-dunk he had at the Marketing Department meeting.  That conversation being shortly followed by him getting served divorce papers.

#104 Posted by Animasta (14460 posts) -

@Poppduder said:

Technically its a STATUE of a DISMEMBERED lady. Also, what are the chances that the guy (yes, presuming it was a guy who thought this up) went home to his wife and talked about the big slam-dunk he had at the Marketing Department meeting. That conversation being shortly followed by him getting served divorce papers.

I don't believe that man is married

#105 Posted by Coafi (1433 posts) -

What in the hell, Deep Silver? I didn't ask for this!

What ever happened to the other collector's edition with the suitcase and hula girl? Is this like an ultra mega collector's edition?

#106 Posted by Brodehouse (9370 posts) -
@Animasta

@Poppduder said:

Technically its a STATUE of a DISMEMBERED lady. Also, what are the chances that the guy (yes, presuming it was a guy who thought this up) went home to his wife and talked about the big slam-dunk he had at the Marketing Department meeting. That conversation being shortly followed by him getting served divorce papers.

Why would you guys believe that a man is in charge of this marketing company?

WHY DO YOU THINK HE'S STRAIGHT?!

Oh Internet. You are so fun.
#107 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11008 posts) -

Anyone who buys that special edition is put on the FBI watch list.

#108 Posted by Animasta (14460 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

@Animasta

@Poppduder said:

Why would you guys believe that a man is in charge of this marketing company? WHY DO YOU THINK HE'S STRAIGHT?! Oh Internet. You are so fun.

sorry, I am prejudiced against marketing people

#109 Edited by Coafi (1433 posts) -

American bust edition?!

Edit:

Apparently, this edition is exclusively sold through Gamesonly.at for Austria, Germany and Switzerland.

#110 Posted by Dalai (6879 posts) -

I guess they couldn't top that trailer for the first game, huh?

#111 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4655 posts) -

What, why? That is hecka creepy looking on a few levels. Who looks at this and think "oh, boy. That looks awesome, I want to display that for everyone to see"?

#112 Posted by Poppduder (460 posts) -
@Animasta: The replies to this thread (your's included) give me faith that I still love these forms, when put in stark contrast to the goings-on in the DmC review thread.
#113 Posted by IrrelevantJohn (929 posts) -

This will get all the ladies wet when you bring them to your room.

#114 Posted by charlie_victor_bravo (869 posts) -

Oh, boy. I really liked the first game, but if Deep Silver pulls shit like this, I'll have nothing to do with this game.

#115 Posted by aquamarin (553 posts) -

This is really unfortunate.

#116 Posted by Poppduder (460 posts) -

The family-owned game retail shop my friend works at told me they put up a sign this morning saying they wont be taking preorders on the set with the bust (out of respect for our mum's, I think was his wording).  Good choice on their part, but it looks like it wont matter much in the long run.

#117 Posted by Grillbar (1773 posts) -

one more for the collection

#118 Posted by sodacat (212 posts) -

So this has maybe been cancelled?

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/kngs7f

Oddly, despite apologizing multiple times, they never actually say they're cancelling the bust.

#119 Posted by living4theday258 (677 posts) -

why?

#120 Posted by Ravenlight (8033 posts) -

The more people get worked up over this, the more I want one.

#121 Posted by BillyTheKid (484 posts) -

And people wonder why video games are called sexist. A bust of a bust? C'mon guys, seriously who the hell wants this?

#122 Posted by mrfluke (4843 posts) -

@Ravenlight: your icon is amazing xD

#123 Posted by squirtle_squad (266 posts) -

Didn't read the whole thread but what I can say is that I don't like all the people whining against it. If they want to offer it, let them. You don't have to buy that version of the game, hell, you don't even have to buy the game at all.

#124 Posted by Dark (356 posts) -

I would be proud to put this on my mantelpiece and tell all my friends it was once my wife.

P.S. I don't have a wife

#125 Posted by gogosox82 (413 posts) -

Wow i don't even know what to say about this. Its pretty gross on all levels.

#126 Posted by kindgineer (2485 posts) -

Not that I was going to get Dead Island in the first place, but damn. That would have made a normal grade purchaser out of me.

#127 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1681 posts) -

People are talking about the game now, which is what the marketer's number one job is.

#128 Posted by HerbieBug (3841 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Rainbowkisses said:

Who thought this was a good idea?

Someone!

More than one person, in fact. This likely had to go through at least two people or more after the initial design to get green lit. This sort of marketing disaster always makes me smile. To think some people said somewhere, "Yes, this will help sell our game. We think this will reflect positively on our company and product!" xD

#129 Posted by tacticalfatty (4 posts) -

I must be missing something here. Why is there outrage over this? How is this big news? Please don't misunderstand me. I'm sensitive to the fact that there is plenty of real sexism in the industry. #1reasonwhy helped shed some much needed light on that. But lets be clear this isn't company selling zombie sex dolls or DOA's hyper sexed ladies playing beach volleyball in tiny bikini's. Hell its not even naked. Has anyone watched any trashy slasher movies before. Or ever walked through a mall with all the half naked toro's both male and female. The giant posters of naked people just screaming for your attention. Sex is always being used to sell things to both men and women. These things will always exist. Its the sad nature of business. Acting shocked and appalled doesn't make it go away. Custer's revenge existed guys. Leisure Suit Larry was and is a commercial product for sale. Do I dare even mention Japan's continued use of sex in games. Bayonetta was pretty fun (though i never finished) but if i recall she got more naked to attack. Is it because shes a strong woman that we let that go, or is it because the game is good? People like to say were growing up a medium. Well every other medium has these things as a part of them. So everyone grow up. Last I checked this is an M-rated game and is for adults. You have the option of not buying either the statue or the game.

Someone pointed out that its because it depicts both sex and violence towards women. In this particular instance (oh god i hear the spears and torches of hate) its not a woman. its a zombie. It looks a lot like a woman and some may mistake it for one. But of all us here know that its not.

after writing all that i asked my girlfriend for her thoughts on all this. I told her the following via text. "This is a sequel to a zombie game famous for being able chop off limbs easily. it takes place on a resort island. this new one has a collectors edition with that statue. How would you feel if I bought that?" She responded "I don't care haha why do you need my opinion" "im writing a long winded and ranty forum post. so you dont care about the statue at all?" she simply said "no"

#130 Posted by Ravenlight (8033 posts) -

@tacticalfatty said:

after writing all that i asked my girlfriend for her thoughts on all this. I told her the following via text. "This is a sequel to a zombie game famous for being able chop off limbs easily. it takes place on a resort island. this new one has a collectors edition with that statue. How would you feel if I bought that?" She responded "I don't care haha why do you need my opinion" "im writing a long winded and ranty forum post. so you dont care about the statue at all?" she simply said "no"

Your girlfriend is obviously sexist ;)

#131 Posted by Nettacki (1313 posts) -

@tacticalfatty said:

Your girlfriend is seriously kinda cool.

#132 Posted by KittyVonDoom (445 posts) -

Best marketing campaign of 2013. Pre-ordering now...

#133 Posted by jimmyfenix (3682 posts) -

SCOOPS SCOOPS SCOOPS

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.