How are the chances this will include third-person view?

#1 Posted by Morrow (1823 posts) -

I wonder, since there was a mod (?) for PC that toggled third-person view, and the devs said they want to improve all the issues that were a put-off in the original Dead Island game. Because there was this promo still in TPP, which means it was an option at some point during game development to switch to third-person perspective.

Personally, that would make me enjoy the sequel a lot more. Despite all it's flaws I liked the first game, but the first person view made me feel extremely paranoid... I'd love to see more games like Fallout where you can decide how you want to play the game: first- or third-person. Can't be too hard to implent such an option...

So, is there any info yet if the game will feature such a switch-option? I googled but found no info...

#2 Posted by probablytuna (3834 posts) -

Honestly I don't think I've ever played a game that offered both perspectives that plays pleasantly. Fallout 3's third person view was pretty horrible (while Skyrim certainly made vast improvements, it's still not as good as playing in first person), Hitman: Blood Money's first person is just awkward. The only exception being Deus Ex: Human Revolution but the third-person perspective only occurs when in cover.

So to answer your question; I have no idea.

#3 Posted by Morrow (1823 posts) -

@probablytuna:

Hmm I played both PS3 Fallout games mostly in third-person, only switching to first when exploring, because FP provided the advantage of a closer investigation of the environment. Same with Skyrim... I guess I'm the minority ._.

Oh, and I'm occasionally trying myself at Deus Ex: HR, which I would also enjoy more with a constant third-person view on. But oh well...

#4 Posted by probablytuna (3834 posts) -

When I'm in third person perspective in Fallout 3 it's usually because I can get a better view of my surrounding when in stealth. Don't you feel that the animation for the character seems incredibly awkward in Fallout 3? They've made it so much better in Skyrim, though the jumping animation is still off.

#5 Posted by Morrow (1823 posts) -

Maybe there's hope for a third-person option after all? *.*

#6 Posted by Village_Guy (2667 posts) -

Promo images are often released and have images that aren't seen from the players perspective. I wouldn't put much, or any weight into that.

#7 Posted by Stete (748 posts) -

I don't think the game would work well in 3rd person view, especially if youre using analog controls and need to target specific body parts.

Plus the original looked kinda scary once you enabled 3rd person view from the debug.

#8 Posted by Genkkaku (738 posts) -

I liked the way this game feels in First Person.. I don't think it would work as well as it did in Third-Person..

#9 Posted by Mnemoidian (962 posts) -

@Stete: While that does look dreadful, that's obviously because it was rendering for first person gameplay. If the game had an actual third-person functionality, it would've used the same animations that are shown in multiplayer (where the animations look fine on the player characters).

Most likely the reason why there is rarely a switch (and often works poorly when there is), is that the developer of the game wants you to have a specific experience. First person has a lot more immediacy and ranged combat, while third-person is a lot better for melee combat and sneaking... and in Dead Island's case, they are making a first person game with a lot of stylized (slow-mo) kills and a lot of other first-person effects that don't work as well (or at all) in third person view.

#10 Posted by emem (1974 posts) -
@Morrow said:

Despite all it's flaws I liked the first game, but the first person view made me feel extremely paranoid... 

That doesn't really make sense to me. There is finally a zombie game that makes you feel paranoid/uneasy and you want a third person view to take that away? If you want such a game... have you tried Dead Rising? Those games don't have a single scary moment in them and you always see what's going on behind you. Having said that, I'm generally in favour of letting people play a single player or even co-op game the way they want, but adding 3rd person view to a game like Dead Island seems like a bad idea to me personally. 

I'm curious if people who want a third person view played the game with a controller or mouse and keyboard? This is not a console vs PC question btw, I just have a feeling that people who play with a gamepad might have a harder time with it because of obvious reasons.
#11 Posted by Mnemoidian (962 posts) -

@Morrow: Yes, true, I should've specified that more.

In my opinion, Dead Island is a lot more about making melee feel "real", then "powerful". ie: the melee-combat I was talking about above was more for power-fantasies, while Dead Island is more going for the immediacy of first person melee combat, trying to make it feel... traumatic? real-istic-ish?

Or in other words, it's a lot more about carefully placing each attack where it's the most efficient rather than plowing through hordes of zombies.

Or, for an extreme example: Consider a third-person Amnesia. That would probably not work very well either.

#12 Posted by emem (1974 posts) -
@Morrow: That's too bad, I always prefered first person over third person. :)  

I think third person games are never scary unless they do it the way Dead Space does it, but that's more of an over-the-shoulder camera view and it kinda makes me feel less in control than first person view. It's probably only because half (I know it's not half, I'm exaggerating) of the screen is blocked by the character model, though. ;)) Have you tried Dead Space, @Morrow ?
#13 Posted by golguin (4068 posts) -

@Morrow said:

@Mnemoidian:

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from :)

But thing is, I am the kind that just wildly plowes through zombies :D So I guess Dead Island isn't the ideal game for me. Nevertheless, after playing a while with Logan I might give the game another try with Xian Mei, who seems to be an "easier" character to play, or at least, seems to fit my playstyle more.

I played Katana girl all the way and I destroyed everything with my super powerful jump kicks. I can't even remember how I had my skill tree set with her, but I know I was very good at decapitations.

#14 Posted by Mnemoidian (962 posts) -

@Morrow: @golguin: Playing the game co-op, as Xian Mei with my partner playing Sam B, I often felt underpowered, though that may partially be that we got a lot of awesome blunt weapons.

Also, really, the theme song kind of makes Sam B the only "proper" choice ;)

#15 Posted by Baillie (4285 posts) -

@Morrow said:

Oh, and I did order Dead Rising 2 a few days ago :D

That game is awful.

#16 Posted by emem (1974 posts) -
@Morrow: I was only asking if you had played Dead Space, because I was curious if you can handle the camera angle. :) 

I'm German as well and you can always order uncut games from Austria or, if you play on the PC, ask someone outside of Germany (and Australia) to send you games as Steam gifts (they will always be uncut). 

@Morrow said:

@Baillie said:

@Morrow said:

That game is awful.

lol! Care to elaborate? ^^

I don't like those games either. They are always forcing time limits on you, the weapons that you build break way too fast, and I just can't stand that... a lot of people don't have a problem with it so you might be fine.
#17 Posted by Baillie (4285 posts) -

@Morrow said:

@Baillie said:

@Morrow said:

That game is awful.

lol! Care to elaborate? ^^

The first had some sort of charm to it, this one is awful. Can't stand it.

#18 Posted by Morrow (1823 posts) -

Another third-person view shot... I really really hope they'll give players the option to switch to it.

#19 Posted by Morrow (1823 posts) -

@Drebin_893 said:

@Morrow: Are you now just posting every new screenshot that comes out?
Group shot

Maybe Borderlands 2 has a third person mode?

Ooh, or maybe Halo 4?

No, those games are already out and everyone knows they don't have a third person mode.

This is just one screenshot of several new ones and I posted it because it suggests a third person view.

#20 Posted by JCGamer (671 posts) -

Man, I forget who said it (for some reason I'm thinking Randy Pitchford) but in an interview somewhere he said that he doesn't think that there has ever been a game that does both well because you either have to give up texture detail for animation (in 3rd person) or vice versa (for first person).

#21 Posted by Demoskinos (15188 posts) -
@JCGamer
Man, I forget who said it (for some reason I'm thinking Randy Pitchford) but in an interview somewhere he said that he doesn't think that there has ever been a game that does both well because you either have to give up texture detail for animation (in 3rd person) or vice versa (for first person).
He is right you really can't do both well. The elder scrolls is prime example even skyrims animations in 3rd person while improved are still kind of awful.
#22 Edited by believer258 (12216 posts) -

Promo images are often in third person to show off characters. You could probably find such images of Halo showing Master Chief.

In other words, I doubt it.

#23 Posted by kaos_cracker (714 posts) -

It will be really odd to be in Third Person, with the way it controls it may be kinda hard to play that way so I don't see it happening.

#24 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1843 posts) -

I'm going to say "Not happening" with 100% certainty. It simply wouldn't work well in this game, and it would really just be a waste a development time trying to implement it. I don't know why anyone would even want to play it like that, but... to each their own and shit like that.

I can't imagine playing Fallout 3 or NV in third-person for more than just walking around outside. The combat is completely unmanageable. The only games I've ever played that have offered decent versions of both perspectives are the Suffering games, more so the sequel than the original, and even then, not exactly ideal controls.

#25 Posted by AlexW00d (6450 posts) -

Third person is the worst view, so I hope not.

#26 Posted by Grixxel (773 posts) -

Those promo shots are just that, for promotion. They are not hinting at anything. You might not want to keep your hopes so high up.

#27 Posted by Morrow (1823 posts) -

@grixxel said:

Those promo shots are just that, for promotion. They are not hinting at anything. You might not want to keep your hopes so high up.

I guess I will try to get into the first game again, since I started playing Bioshock, first person view doesn't seem so bad anymore... :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.