Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Island

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released Sep 06, 2011

After a zombie virus sweeps across a beautiful island resort, survivors must fight their way to freedom while trying to find out exactly what went down in this open-world first-person action game.

Analog combat now possible on PC with mouse/keyboard (simple mod)

fistfulofmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 29

#1  Edited By fistfulofmetal

I know there's a thread down at the bottom with someone asking about this but I figured it would be better to create a new thread for better exposure.

A guy released a really simple PC mod that allows you to use analog combat with mouse/keyboard.

Just watch that video and it will show you how.

Here's a link to the script file:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZMPBEBGO

It's very simple and it works perfectly. I spent about an hour and it's much more accurate and responsive than the 360 controller.

Currently the only draw back is that you cannot accept quests. This is because you are technically playing with the 360 controller scheme chosen so pressing A or D does not work. So you will have to turn your controller on to press the A button. It's minor but it's worth it.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By JoeyRavn

That's pretty cool. The community and the community alone is taking care of Dead Island PC. Techland has said they'll eventually patch analog control into the PC version, but... you can see how Techland works. Did they even release the "day one" patch after all?

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By emergency

@JoeyRavn said:

That's pretty cool. The community and the community alone is taking care of Dead Island PC. Techland has said they'll eventually patch analog control into the PC version, but... you can see how Techland works. Did they even release the "day one" patch after all?

I feel your negativity towards Techland is a little misplaced. Yeah, they've released 2 decent sized patches thus far.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By CaptainTightPants

@JoeyRavn: Yep there was a day one patch. Well on the PC at least.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By benjaebe

That's awesome. Hope they keep working on it so it's fully functional.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By AhmadMetallic

These fucking PC modders make wanna become a modder myself.. They make everything possible on this system, god damn I love what they do. 
    Edit: However, this game looks like it's just created for a controller. I do not see the need for mouse and keyboard in this game, especially that there isn't a lot of shooting, so when i buy it ima use my Dualshock 3 with it

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jimbo

So a hobbyist managed to figure it out in a day. Industry: try harder ffs. Or just try a little bit would be a start.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By beforet

Wait, it didn't have it already? That's kinda fucked.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Rhaknar

@JoeyRavn said:

yes, and a day 2 patch, and a couple of smaller patches after

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JoeyRavn

@emergency said:

@JoeyRavn said:

I feel your negativity towards Techland is a little misplaced. Yeah, they've released 2 decent sized patches thus far.

Oh, come on.

The launch was disastrous. A trainwreck. I can understand the need of a patch to iron out "some bugs", but if they had to release two patches in less than three days is because the game was nigh broken. We don't need to be tolerant with them and lower our standards. We pay €/$50 for a finished game, not a dev build. They should have spent some more time with their product before releasing it, which is funny, considering it was in development for ~4 years.

I don't think you understand how terribly broken this game was and how broken it still is. Many people, myself included, weren't able to launch it at all because of one simple letter. In the game.ini file, if the line with the Locale option had "En" instead of "en", the game would completely CTD upon startup. Even after patching. Are you telling me that can't double checked before shipping your game? Thank God the community was there, because Techland didn't even acknowledge the problem.

And don't get me started on the utter lack of customization options. I'm not even talking about tesselation or anything fancy like that. If you need modders to fix your lack of VSync in your PC game, you're not doing a good job with it. That said, once I was able to run the game, I found it quite enjoyable. But if it hadn't been for the community support, me and many others wouldn't have been able to pass the Dead Island logo.

@Resident4t said:

@JoeyRavn: Yep there was a day one patch. Well on the PC at least.

Well, that's a relief. I have the European version, so I haven't gotten any patch so far. Everything they fixed in the American version is supposedly already

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@emergency said:

@JoeyRavn said:

9 months later, no analog for mouse, and the mod still seems to require a 360 controller (or at least a whole lot of extra work).

I started up the game for the first time, hoping at least the jank and bugs had been ironed out, but got no response from my keyboard. Which seems like a widespread problem.

So yeah, they fuckin deserve the negativity.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.