Are there unique bosses and unique loot?

#1 Posted by Jackcc (51 posts) -

I think im already sold on this game but just wondering about this 

Thanks
#2 Posted by emergency (1193 posts) -

Bosses? This game doesn't really seem like one that has bosses. There are special zombies yeah.. not sure about bosses.

#3 Posted by Jackcc (51 posts) -

I was just thinking maybe named zombies stronger than others maybe. It wont affect whether i purchse the game i was just curious 

I wish friday would hurry the fuck up, goddamn the UK getting everything late
#4 Posted by DillonWerner (1526 posts) -

From the Quick-Look I'm pretty sure Brad said that there weren't any bosses or crazy fights with anything other than zombies.

#5 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2452 posts) -
@DillonWerner

From the Quick-Look I'm pretty sure Brad said that there weren't any bosses or crazy fights with anything other than zombies.

Actually, Brad said you fight crazy humans, as well.
#6 Posted by project343 (2818 posts) -

@Jackcc said:

I was just thinking maybe named zombies stronger than others maybe. It wont affect whether i purchse the game i was just curious I wish friday would hurry the fuck up, goddamn the UK getting everything late

I'm about 10 hours in. The "Thugs" are massive, horrifying zombies that are more than boss-like. No named bosses thus far, but I don't think it would fit with the world. The game feels a lot more like Bioshock to me than Fallout or Borderlands. It's grim, it feels real, but yes, there's an RPG on top of everything. Enemies are split into enemy types--not unlike "Big Daddies," "Houdini Splicers," etc., but none of them have the name 'Lawrence the Thug.' It would sort of kill the sense of threat.

As far as named loot, everything's named in a very Borderlandsy-way. Items are split into types (i.e. baseball bat), but modifiers are attached to their name to justify their rarity/level range (i.e. delicate baseball bat). There are item containers that look like chests, you can spec into lock-picking, and you're generally rewarded for exploring with pretty excellent loot.

I'll gladly answer any other questions if you've got 'em.

#7 Posted by Jackcc (51 posts) -

@project343 Thanks for the helpful reply, loot sounds awesome especially in a zombie game. How are the skill trees with regards to how useful are the trees you can spec into? And also how is co op? Does the number of enemies and strength ramp up? Thanks

#8 Posted by golguin (3886 posts) -

@Jackcc said:

@project343 Thanks for the helpful reply, loot sounds awesome especially in a zombie game. How are the skill trees with regards to how useful are the trees you can spec into? And also how is co op? Does the number of enemies and strength ramp up? Thanks

I've only played the game on coop (2-4 depending on who's online) and it seems that the zombies scale to the level of the host, but I don't think the amount of zombies change. The skill trees look different enough and they spec toward the weapon/character you would most like to use.

#9 Posted by myslead (929 posts) -

I think there are unique loot though

If you check the list of items required for some mods, some names like The Pick of Destiny and couple more shows up.

#10 Posted by ShaggyDude (136 posts) -

There is unique named loot, and any weapon can become especially unique after you mod them. I've found one legendary item (orange text) called Gabriel's Hammer that I got from doing all the quests from Sister Helen at the church in the city of Moresby. I also received an epic weapon mod called "Old Smoky" that electrocutes zombies quite often and it drastically changed the appearance of the machete I applied it to. I got this mod by finishing a side quest called "Spy Game" from a survivor in the city of Moresby.

In the final chapter of the game, most of the quest rewards are epic (purple text). I like how you can apply mods to any of these rare items and they still retain their original naming, for example my Gabriel's Hammer is now called a "Magic Wand Gabriel's Hammer" because of the mod I applied to it.

If anyone finds the Pick of Destiny or a blade called "Assassin's Greed" I'd really like to know where you found them!

#11 Edited by Driadon (2997 posts) -

While others have indicated unique loot, I can confirm unique zombies, though they where not a boss.

While exploring the Silver Lodges in the first major area, I came across a bungalo that had a woman zombie that was tied up to a bed named Nenja Samejon. The room also had another male zombie in it (not named) and a video camera aimed at her.

Killing it didn't seem to do anything unique that I can tell.

#12 Posted by The_Martian (48 posts) -

You're supposed to mod your items to make them special. Some zombies carry better weapons than others, but nothing unique.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.