Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Island

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released Sep 06, 2011

After a zombie virus sweeps across a beautiful island resort, survivors must fight their way to freedom while trying to find out exactly what went down in this open-world first-person action game.

Christ I didn't know there were so many wiki points whores.

Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Agent47

Somebody(quite obvious)deleted my characters section on the main wiki page and made seperate individual pages regarding each character.Wow just..wow way to waste space, not a big thing but it's obvious the guy who did this just did it for the wiki points because he can make pages and I can't.Sorry but that's an dick  move man, delete my work and put it in a new section?
    I only made a thread cause I've noticing this happening more.

I make something and someone else deletes it and makes a whole new page just for it. It really isn't necessary unless the game is very character centric or the aspect can be very fleshed out there really isn't a point to make a page for it.So can you chill out guys?

EDIT:Just to clear things up I just made this thread to see if other people had the same problem.It that isn't big a deal but it just bothers me that I spent my time on it just to have it erased.I usually back this sort of stuff up but seeing as not much people were working on the Dead Island page and that it was so small I didn't think anyone would bother. The guy just deleted the characters section with pictures and some little info and created a new page with basically the same stuff but under different wording.Which really there was no need.I'm not gunna hassle this I'll let it pass this once.

yetiantics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By yetiantics

This is why i don't do it.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Dany

Did they steal your text?

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Seedofpower

I heard something about changing the rules that apply to making wiki pages. We might here something later this year. Sucks your hard work gets high jacked man.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By eroticfishcake

I think you're taking this a bit too personal (though I can't speak for myself since I haven't noticed it at all). But I think the protagonists are (going to be) centric enough to warrant a page of their own. Even the characters from Left 4 Dead have their own pages and those pages are exactly overflowing with info. Besides, pages can't be deleted without mod/staff authorization so they probably saw a good reason for it. 

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By imsh_pl

If he stole your text then something should be done about that.

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By the_hiro_abides

I save all my edits in documents and the browser page. So if I ever notice it's happened I can revert it.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @PantyshotMQN said:

This is why i don't do it.

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By craigbo180

They probably shouldn't have deleted your text from the game, unless it wasn't very necessary to the main article for the game since apparently it isn't character focused (I don't really know much about the story of Dead Island) but if they are characters in a game they are able to have a page. It is even more likely that characters will get pages if they are in a big release like Dead Island. 

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I'm pleased that my rare entries haven't been totally demolished. It sucks, though, because some pages are poorly written, but I don't want to be a jerk and entirely rewrite them myself, so in those instances I just try to clean up the ones that aren't written well so it's a smoother read, but I don't screw with their content.

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By williamhenry

Theres barely any info on the individual pages, so I agree with the OP. All the character information could easily fit on the main game page. Theres no need for those individual pages to exist, yet at least.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#12  Edited By Yummylee
    @eroticfishcake:  
    The guy (nadafinger from the looks of it) didn't delete any pages; he copied the bios Agent47 written up for them on the Dead Island main page, deleted, then pasted them on the appropriate character pages. Naturally they deserve their own character page, but what sucks is that he needlessly deleted Agent47's work on the main page--which would still fittingly act as a bit of generalisation for the characters--then pasted it as his own in the character pages.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @Abyssfull: In that case that is pretty sucky.
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Binman88

Deleting Agent47's wiki edits? That's a paddlin'

Seriously though, that's not cool. Seems like a mod should be able to transfer the points to you, or deduct them from this dude.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Gabriel

As long as no one touches my Jack Burton page, everything is gonna be cool.

BombKareshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BombKareshi

I dunno, the cut and paste of content into individual pages sounds like a pretty sensible and routine job to me.

I guess it's a technical limitation that makes whoever does this job gets the same amount of points for it as if he had written the content himself, but it can't be helped. It's not like you lost any points for it, though, and frankly the fact that you care so much about it makes you seem more like the wiki point whore yourself.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Karl_Boss

I understand your frustration but he didn't do anything wrong, he preserved the text in the separate character pages (basically changing the format of the page) its not like he just completely deleted it....further more you do not own the text featured on the page, if someone were to use something from the wiki it would be credited as "Giantbomb" not the individual user(s) who worked on the page....users are free to make re-writes, alterations, or formatting changes....however, Giantbomb doesn't have a wiki history which is problematic to say the least.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By mikemcn

Thats why I do all my wiki editing on obscure games no one else cares about.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FourWude

WIKI TERRORISTS!

That's the only explanation. Terrorists with point whoring tendencies are terrorizing the Wiki pages and targeting innocent, western people like you. Oh WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!! Today they're targeting GiantBomb wiki's, tomorrow they'll be targeting Uncyclopaedia....

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By xMP44x

It's not really a dick move apart from removing the content from your existing page. If the existing page already contained people then that's fine in my eyes - just don't go into the detail reserved for their main character page. I did this with my Call of Juarez: The Cartel wiki edit and if I ever actually get the game I'll go into more depth about the actual characters and their motivations on their individual pages.

Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan

That's no good man, if anyone ever deleted my Goal Storm page and copied it for points I'd be upset too

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By Romination

Now that I've actuallly seen those characters, boy, they sure made annoying looking characters.

Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Agent47
    @Dany: Deleted it and moved it to a newly created page of course I don't have the power to make new pages, then they just changed the wording around.Could of at least kept it in tact.

@Unknown_Pleasures: Unless they recently changed it, it wasn't a mere copy and paste just delete and reword.I'm not really worked up over this it's just there really wasn't no need for more pages with barely any info.It makes the wiki a more untame mess.I just find it annoying that people keep making these little pages with zero to no content just to jack up their points score.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#24  Edited By Hailinel

@Agent47 said:

@Dany: Deleted it and moved it to a newly created page of course I don't have the power to make new pages, then they just changed the wording around.Could of at least kept it in tact.

You do have the power. Your new page submissions will go to the same moderation queue as other submissions until you have enough wiki points to bypass the queue.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NickL

As long as no one touches my altitude page.

Actually, I wouldn't mind. I know it could be better but I haven't taken the time to improve it myself...

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

#26  Edited By bobafettjm

I think it is a good idea to have the characters in separate pages, but they probably should have left the info on the main game page and let you transfer the info over.

BombKareshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BombKareshi
    @Agent47 said:
    I just find it annoying that people keep making these little pages with zero to no content just to jack up their points score.
    I don't think I like the way you keep insisting that the dude did it for the points for what seems like a perfectly valid edit.

Always assume good faith.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#28  Edited By Hailinel

@BombKareshi said:

@Agent47 said:
    I just find it annoying that people keep making these little pages with zero to no content just to jack up their points score.
    I don't think I like the way you keep insisting that the dude did it for the points for what seems like a perfectly valid edit.

This is true. Though we may put a lot of effort into specific wiki pages, no single person can claim any sort of rights to any specific page. It's the nature of a wiki that allows them to be freely edited, and if someone removes content that you feel should stay, there's nothing preventing you from re-adding it.

Nadafinga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#29  Edited By Nadafinga

@Hailinel said:

@BombKareshi said:

@Agent47 said:

This is true. Though we may put a lot of effort into specific wiki pages, no single person can claim any sort of rights to any specific page. It's the nature of a wiki that allows them to be freely edited, and if someone removes content that you feel should stay, there's nothing preventing you from re-adding it.

Wow. Its amazing how personal people can take this stuff.

First of all @Agent47, I didn't create the character pages. I noticed they existed, and so I took the character descriptions provided by the publisher and filled out the individual character pages. I did not plagiarize anything you wrote. That being said, I will take full credit for moving what little the character descriptions there were off the main page (there was only info for Xian and Sam at that time). But this was decided as how to do the wikis back when the Mortal Kombat page was getting bloated with character descriptions. It was decided that detailed character descriptions belong on their individual pages. If you look at the MK page now, it list the characters, without descriptions, only hotlinked to their pages. Sure, these Dead Island character pages are a bit blank right now, but once the game comes out there will be plenty of info to fill in, with more info on their backstories, game endings, special abilities, etc.

Secondly, to assume I do this for the points is absurd. I couldn't care less about the points, it's my goal to make the giant bomb wiki as neat and concise as possible. An unfortunate side effect of editing the wiki is that some redundant info will get deleted. Try not to take this so personally, assuming the worst in people.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By Yanngc33
    @xMP44x said:
    It's not really a dick move apart from removing the content from your existing page. If the existing page already contained people then that's fine in my eyes - just don't go into the detail reserved for their main character page. I did this with my Call of Juarez: The Cartel wiki edit and if I ever actually get the game I'll go into more depth about the actual characters and their motivations on their individual pages.

YOU 
    YOU'RE THE GUY WHO TOOK MY EXTREMELY DETAILED CHARACTER BIOS I HAD WRITTEN ON THE CALL OF JUAREZ PAGE AND PUT THEM ON THREE SEPERATE PAGES. Good idea. Did you actually end up buying the game? because I sure as hell didn't 

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Agent47 said:

@Unknown_Pleasures: Unless they recently changed it, it wasn't a mere copy and paste just delete and reword.I'm not really worked up over this it's just there really wasn't no need for more pages with barely any info.It makes the wiki a more untame mess.I just find it annoying that people keep making these little pages with zero to no content just to jack up their points score.
    Im pretty sure we are supposed to have separate pages for that kinda stuff. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.