Dead Island can't be played offline? Well, I wasted my money.

• 62 results
#1 Posted by Metal_Mills (3010 posts) -

No where does it say it requires a constant connection. No where! Yet when I went into offline mode on steam it won't launch. It'll ONLY launch when online. Isn't that illegal to not say it requires this? I play a lot of games offline and now, I'm screwed.

#2 Posted by HODGEY3000 (344 posts) -

why does it matter so much?, you can still play single player  

#3 Edited by Metal_Mills (3010 posts) -
@AhmadMetallic: It requires steam though. Unless pirated versions can skip steam. I'm considering though it because it seems like such a dodgy tactic to implement something like that but not say it anywhere. I'm amazed steam even allows that. You'd think they have rules against that type of thing. What other game on steam does that? I have like 80 games on it and I haven't seen one.

@HODGEY3000: No, you can't. The game won't launch without being online.
#4 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Console version...Or better yet, read the description before buying.

#5 Posted by Metal_Mills (3010 posts) -
@Hizang said:

Or better yet. Read the thread. There is NOTHING saying it requires a connection. Not on steam, not on dead island's site, no where.
#6 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

@Metal_Mills said:

@AhmadMetallic: It requires steam though. Unless pirated versions can skip steam.

It would scare you how capable fileshare release groups are o.O yes it can skip Steam

I'm surprised that this isn't a Ubisoft game! Only they like to fuck PC customers in the butt with this shit.

#7 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

@Metal_Mills said:

@Hizang said:

Or better yet. Read the thread. There is NOTHING saying it requires a connection. Not on steam, not on dead island's site, no where.

Console version...

#8 Posted by Metal_Mills (3010 posts) -
@Hizang said:

@Metal_Mills said:

@Hizang said:

Console version...

I'd rather not play at all than play with the chance of my save file deleting itself.
#9 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

@Metal_Mills: Then don't play it at all, done.

#10 Posted by Metal_Mills (3010 posts) -
@Hizang said:

Fantastic contribution. Will read again.
#11 Posted by Xeiphyer (5606 posts) -

Just go download the crack. You bought it, so screw those assholes.

#12 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Are you unable to play it online or are you just choosing not to?  I don't see what the big deal is.

#13 Posted by Barrock (3545 posts) -

If you paid the cash, grab a crack and play the game.

#14 Posted by LoggerRythm (190 posts) -

Well that sucks. I wouldn't have seen that coming. I wonder if everyone who bought that on Steam knows this? That's F'd up.

#15 Posted by Marz (5658 posts) -

It uses Steam cloud, which requires you to be online to sync the file.  Try turning it off and see if you can go offline.  Otherwise yeah know for future reference steamworks games usually will use the cloud feature and require you to be online.

#16 Edited by Metal_Mills (3010 posts) -
@PeasantAbuse said:

Are you unable to play it online or are you just choosing not to?  I don't see what the big deal is.

Sometimes I can't play online. So I go into offline mode on steam. Easy enough. This game even with single player only selected in-game I can't even launch it in offline mode. Some games need a constant connection, very few, but are always clearly marked as that.  Assassins Creed 2 requires a constant online connection but says "HIGH SPEED INTERNET ACCESS AND CREATION OF A UBISOFT ACCOUNT ARE REQUIRED TO ACCESS THIS VIDEO GAME". This has nothing like that which could very well be illegal.
#17 Posted by Metal_Mills (3010 posts) -
@Marz said:
It uses Steam cloud, which requires you to be online to sync the file.  Try turning it off and see if you can go offline.  Otherwise yeah know for future reference steamworks games usually will use the cloud feature and require you to be online.
Cloud is automatically turned off when playing in offline mode. Every other game on steam works in offline mode. The only ones that don't have third party services like Ac2 with it's unisoft launch and THAT launcher requires online.
#18 Posted by Barrock (3545 posts) -

From the Steam forums:

"I emailed Deep Silver about this and heres what i got back

Dear Customer,

thank you for your inquiry.

Because of the Steam "Cloud" architecture its actually only possible to play Dead Island if the Steam Client is online and connected to the Steam network. Our developers are working on a solution in order to make the "Offline Mode"available for you. We're hoping for your understanding that we cant make any promises at the actual moment.

Best regards

Your Support Team

Deep Silver Inc.

Technical Support

900 Larkspur Landing Circle

Larkspur CA 94939 / USA"

#19 Posted by IBurningStar (2184 posts) -

Things like this are what drive people to piracy. I think it is kind of shitty that his happened to you, man. I'm not saying I support piracy or anything. I'm just saying that this is another example of paying customers getting the shaft.

#20 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -
@AhmadMetallic said:

@Metal_Mills: You paid for the game, right? The developer has your money for it. You now have the green light to grab it from a fileshare website and play it (offline)

Problem solved!

That's a very dark road my friend, a road some people never come back from.
#21 Posted by Deusx (1910 posts) -
@Metal_Mills: lol pirate versions of games have avoided steam for years now. You can download a torrent... Sorry, I don't support this stuff but this kind of DRM pisses me off. I downloaded this game for that reason. Also, if I'm not sure on what to do with a game, I pirate it and then buy it if I like it after the first hour.
#22 Posted by Metal_Mills (3010 posts) -
@Barrock said:

From the Steam forums:

Dear Customer,

Because of the Steam "Cloud" architecture its actually only possible to play Dead Island if the Steam Client is online and connected to the Steam network. Our developers are working on a solution in order to make the "Offline Mode"available for you. We're hoping for your understanding that we cant make any promises at the actual moment.

Best regards

Your Support Team

Deep Silver Inc.

Technical Support

Larkspur CA 94939 / USA"

This makes no sense. Tons of games use cloud and all work offline. Techland would have to be some of the most fucked up developers around. First releasing the dev version by mistake, bugs were it deletes save files constantly, releasing updates that don't work with saves, updates that make the game not work for tons of people, and can't seem to do what every other game on steam can, even the shittest ports, play offline. Jesus christ. Why the hell doesn't it say it requires an online connection? I blame steam for this too, they should have had it as a requirement.
#23 Edited by mlarrabee (2990 posts) -

Personally, I would just wait for the patch.

#24 Posted by Guttlesswonder (27 posts) -

I understand why people would be upset about this type of DRM, but it is so common that you should wait to put your money down if it's a deal breaker. It sucks, but you shouldn't be an early adoptor of any PC game at this point.

#25 Posted by ChristianCastillo (1178 posts) -
@Metal_Mills said:
@Hizang said:

Fantastic contribution. Will read again.
lol, oh stop guys.
#26 Posted by CptBedlam (4453 posts) -

@Metal_Mills said:

@Hizang said:

@Metal_Mills said:

@Hizang said:

Console version...

I'd rather not play at all than play with the chance of my save file deleting itself.

Then better don't patch the PC version because the patch happens to delete savegames in some versions of the game.

#27 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

You pirate this game since you paid for it, you see another game on the torrent website, you want it. Do you have money? No. You think to yourself "maybe just this one time? I'm entitled to it for _____ reason" you pirate it. You do it just one more time, and another, now.... YOU. ARE. A. PIRATE.

#28 Posted by AndrewB (7663 posts) -

Does disabling Steam Cloud support for the game fix the problem? If it doesn't, then either there's a bug on the Deep Silver end of things or a strange implementation of Steam Cloud.

#29 Posted by piropeople13 (399 posts) -

@Xeiphyer said:

Just go download the crack. You bought it, so screw those assholes.

This. Just download a crack, or get a refund.

#30 Posted by ectoplasma (981 posts) -

Write to steam and tell them you want your money back with the argumentation you gave here, just be very calm about it. I bet they refund you. With special cases like this you can usually get refunds.

#31 Posted by Deusoma (3017 posts) -
@Hizang: Dear friend Hizang, clearly something is bothering you and you're taking out your frustrations on poor Metal Mills here to make yourself feel better. Would you like to talk about it instead? I bet it would work better than making snippy comments at someone with a problem. 

Would you like a hug? :)
#32 Posted by DeF (4921 posts) -

I really don't see where the problem is. Why would you go into offline mode in the first place when you have an internet connection available to you?!

#33 Posted by Bollard (5660 posts) -
@Metal_Mills: Don't all games require an internet connection in Steam? I thought that was commonplace. Every game I try and launch from Steam does nothing unless I'm online.
#34 Edited by Brackynews (4090 posts) -

@Chavtheworld: Absolutely not, but it entirely depends on the game. A very small number of old games won't even check if the Steam client is running (ie. you can launch the .exe straight). Different games will throw different Steamworks(?) errors, so you can see how the process has evolved.

I visited a friend's farm last month, and the house I was in didn't have wifi, so I decided to try every "small" game I had installed on my laptop. About half of them worked as long as Steam was running in Offline mode. But on a different profile, my Steam client was in the middle of updating itself on startup, and would NOT launch in offline mode. So not only do you need to know what games require internet, you need to be conscious if Steam prompted for an update before you have to go without internet. :-/ Aaahhhgh.

#35 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

@DeF: The problem is that nowhere does it say that a constant internet connection is required to play the game. Don't expect everyone to live under the same cirmustances as you.

I have my laptop loaded up with steam games I plan on playing in offline mode at school if I have a few hours of downtime.

Sometimes I want to play something on my desktop in offline mode and have my steam account logged in on my laptop, downloading or patching a game.

These aren't that far-out scenarios.

#36 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

@Deusoma: I just don't see the problem with having to be online for a game that your buying off of an online store, haters gonna hate I guess.

But I would still like that hug :)

#37 Edited by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

@mlarrabee said:

Personally, I would just wait for the patch, but there are other options.

And just so everybody knows where I stand, piracy's bad, torrents are (usually) bad, buy your crap, support the people who make it, and use official channels whenever possible. *spiel over*

He's already bought it. Pirating the game now hurts no one.

And honestly, I would have pirated it anyway. Your morals and ethics sicken me.

#38 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -
@Hizang said:

@Deusoma: I just don't see the problem with having to be online for a game that your buying off of an online store, haters gonna hate I guess.

That would be a valid point if you had to be online to play all Steam games, but you don't.  Besides, if the OP is to be believed, then it isn't stated anywhere that you have to be online in order to play this game.   That was his initial complaint anyway.  Your suggestion of "just buying the console version and spending an extra 60 bucks"  or "just don't buy it" is ludicrous, especially considering he's already paid for the game.    

I don't understand what your problem is, honestly.  Are you one of those people who thinks everyone has a stable internet connection or lives in a metropolitan area with accessible Wi-Fi everywhere?

Also, you're kind of a jerk.  But I'm sure you knew that already.
#39 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

@Meowshi: You believe pirating is ok, I think you sir are a jerk.

Also I never said he should get the console version, what I meant was he should have got the console version of the game to begin with, did he not hear all the bad crap?

#40 Posted by laserbolts (5331 posts) -
@Meowshi
@Hizang said:

That would be a valid point if you had to be online to play all Steam games, but you don't.  Besides, if the OP is to be believed, then it isn't stated anywhere that you have to be online in order to play this game.   That was his initial complaint anyway.  Your suggestion of "just buying the console version and spending an extra 60 bucks"  or "just don't buy it" is ludicrous, especially considering he's already paid for the game.    

I don't understand what your problem is, honestly.  Are you one of those people who thinks everyone has a stable internet connection or lives in a metropolitan area with accessible Wi-Fi everywhere?

I just read this whole thread and I can't seem to find where hizang was being such a jerk. Certainly not to the point that the op needs someone to try and defend him and stick his nose in someone else's problem. I swear some people in this community can be the most sensitive people in the world.
#41 Posted by hwy_61 (934 posts) -

As other commenters have already said. Buy the game, then download the cracked version! I have done this with assassins creed 2! Lol.

#42 Posted by hwy_61 (934 posts) -
@laserbolts
@Meowshi
@Hizang said:

I just read this whole thread and I can't seem to find where hizang was being such a jerk. Certainly not to the point that the op needs someone to try and defend him and stick his nose in someone else's problem. I swear some people in this community can be the most sensitive people in the world.
Welcome to Internet forums!! Btw, @laserbolts stop being such a jerk.
#43 Posted by laserbolts (5331 posts) -
@elsuperdonut Bah!
#44 Edited by Baal_Sagoth (1272 posts) -

And here I was thinking I might play it. Innocent but still fucking dumb - thanks for the heads up. Silly me. And I was about to maybe give Steam another shot, oh well good to know I still can't trust 'em at all. Even with highspeed internet I do not enjoy the pleasure of it being available and stable 24/7 but I do expect my singleplayer games to have that exact feature. I understand the need for security measures but at some point the illegal versions of games are just superior in every way not just "cheaper". Developers and publishers just simply don't deserve my money for games that do that shit to me. I'll find better games to buy...

@Hizang: You really are a little slow on the uptake aren't you? What's so hard to understand about the fact that people might have internet to buy and download games but still wanna play them in circumstances where they don't? Especially if the thread is about wanting to have that information before you pay and not be surprised by that after the fact?

Also: do you expect everything you buy on amazon to require the internet to function just because that is an online store? Pretty lazy argument if you ask me...

#45 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -
@laserbolts said:
@Meowshi
@Hizang said:

I just read this whole thread and I can't seem to find where hizang was being such a jerk.  
That's your problem, not mine.  
#46 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -
@Hizang said:

@Meowshi: You believe pirating is ok, I think you sir are a jerk.

Also I never said he should get the console version, what I meant was he should have got the console version of the game to begin with, did he not hear all the bad crap?

He didn't hear that he had to be online all the time, which is his one and only concern.  
#47 Posted by MikkaQ (10315 posts) -

@Barrock said:

From the Steam forums:

Dear Customer,

Best regards

Your Support Team

Deep Silver Inc.

Technical Support

Larkspur CA 94939 / USA"

That sounds like bullshit, I've played plenty of games with Steam Cloud support that work offline.

Still to the OP, the solution is to get a more stable internet connection, of course. Why would you ever want to be offline anyway?

#48 Edited by Vorbis (2750 posts) -

Devs said it was a mistake and they're trying to fix it.

People are still raging.

Oh internet.

#49 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -
@IBurningStar said:
Things like this are what drive people to piracy. I think it is kind of shitty that his happened to you, man. I'm not saying I support piracy or anything. I'm just saying that this is another example of paying customers getting the shaft.

People aren't driven to piract because of things like that. Ever realised how they'll try to make an excuse out of anything? '' I don't have money, the game sucks anyways, I wouldn't have played it anyways ''. 

WhatI mean is, if this kind of thing drives them to steal games, it's because they're weak on morality to being with, and any excuse would have driven them to steal these games anyways.
#50 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4826 posts) -

Isn't this standard for games through steam?

Also why is this a problem?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.