Dead Island PC performance problems. Could use some help.

#1 Edited by mordukai (7133 posts) -

So I just picked up this game during the steam midweek sale. Started it up and I am encountering problems.

First off, the game runs like shit. Even on 720p with lowest setting the game struggles to hit the 42fps mark and even with Vsnych on there is a still considerable amount of screen tear. On 1080p I can only get about 22fps.

Second. There are white lines all over the floor of the game. At first I though it was just a lighting effect or bug but then I noticed that I am getting them in areas where I shouldn't.

Finally, the game seem to like crashing every time I change my graphical settings.

I am using the HD 6870 so I wonder if it's one of thse game that only likes Nvidia cards.

Any help would be appreciated.

#2 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Would love to help you mord but I don't have the game. Thankfully "acquiring" the game showed me how broken it was so I passed on the purchase. 
However I did hear it was patched, and a lot of Giant Bombeteers played it on PC so I hope you'll get some advice!

#3 Posted by mordukai (7133 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

Would love to help you mord but I don't have the game. Thankfully "acquiring" the game showed me how broken it was so I passed on the purchase. However I did hear it was patched, and a lot of Giant Bombeteers played it on PC so I hope you'll get some advice!

Thanks. I should have "acquired" it too but the 11.99 was looking at me with it's big puppy eyes.

#4 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@mordukai said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Would love to help you mord but I don't have the game. Thankfully "acquiring" the game showed me how broken it was so I passed on the purchase. However I did hear it was patched, and a lot of Giant Bombeteers played it on PC so I hope you'll get some advice!

Thanks. I should have "acquired" it too but the 11.99 was looking at me with it's big puppy eyes.

Those damn Steam puppy eyes.. 
#5 Posted by AlexW00d (6180 posts) -

@mordukai said:

So I just picked up this game during the steam midweek sale. Started it up and I am encountering problems.

First off, the game runs like shit. Even on 720p with lowest setting the game struggles to hit the 42fps mark even with Vsnych on. on 1080p I can only get about 22fps.

Second. There are white lines all over the floor of the game. At first I though it was just a lighting effect or bug but then I noticed that I am getting them in areas where I shouldn't.

Finally, the game seem to like crashing every time I change my graphical settings.

I am using the HD 6870 so I wonder if it's one of thse game that only likes Nvidia cards.

I play it on a 6870 and it runs fine at 60fps for me (I think, it's been a while). The engine that game runs on though is fucking bag of shit. You have to edit the shit out of the .inis, or there is a third party tool you can use that does it for you. This seems a decent thread to start, and whilst a quick search of my PC did not give me the name of the tool I used (for ease of use as sometimes it would overwrite the settings), the one in that thread if probably it.

#6 Posted by Vitor (2809 posts) -

Sounds rough - my 285m can max it out at 1080 with a constant 40FPS so no idea what's wrong, you should be able to demolish this performance-wise. But trying the edits suggested and be sure to change the FOV. It's the only came in recent memory that has given me severe nausea due to how tight the camera was. 

#7 Edited by MrKlorox (11205 posts) -

It ran fine for me on my 9800 gtx at 60 fps maxed out at 1080p. It's a perfectly fine port so there must be something messed up on your end.

#8 Posted by mordukai (7133 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

@mordukai said:

First off, the game runs like shit. Even on 720p with lowest setting the game struggles to hit the 42fps mark even with Vsnych on. on 1080p I can only get about 22fps.

I play it on a 6870 and it runs fine at 60fps for me (I think, it's been a while). The engine that game runs on though is fucking bag of shit. You have to edit the shit out of the .inis, or there is a third party tool you can use that does it for you. This seems a decent thread to start, and whilst a quick search of my PC did not give me the name of the tool I used (for ease of use as sometimes it would overwrite the settings), the one in that thread if probably it.

Thanks. I'll try that.

#9 Posted by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

I played it right at launch and had no issues. Seemed to be hit or miss at the time for some people, maybe even still is. I don't know, it was great fun with friends and it had some pretty cool things about it. Definitely worth it at this price if you have people to play with, IMO.

#10 Posted by mordukai (7133 posts) -

@SlasherMan said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

I played it right at launch and had no issues. Seemed to be hit or miss at the time for some people, maybe even still is. I don't know, it was great fun with friends and it had some pretty cool things about it. Definitely worth it at this price if you have people to play with, IMO.

I agree, but it just sucks that a game you were looking forward too doesn't preform as well as you thought. Ohh well, lesson learned.

#11 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@mordukai said:

@SlasherMan said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

I agree, but it just sucks that a game you were looking forward too doesn't preform as well as you thought. Ohh well, lesson learned.

Don't give up just yet! Use the thread Alex provided and also make sure your PC is up to date on all fronts.
#12 Posted by Ben_H (3305 posts) -

Huh, I picked it up too and have had no issues with my 6950 being able to run it. I have it on high at 1920x1080 and it runs perfectly smooth.

#13 Posted by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -

@mordukai: I'm going to ask the obvious question, but are your drivers up to date? Also, do you wipe your drivers clean before you install new ones (with tools such as DriverSweeper)?

If not, I would suggest you do. It'll take you an extra 5 minutes to uninstall, boot into safe mode, wipe the drivers, reboot and then install the new ones, but it'll be worth it and it could solve what may just be some sort of driver conflict.

#14 Posted by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

@MrKlorox said:

It ran fine for me on my 9800 gtx at 60 fps maxed out at 1080p. It's a perfectly fine port so there must be something messed up on your end.

Yup, ran fine with my 9400. Got it a couple weeks after it released and had almost no problems with the game.

#15 Posted by Ben_H (3305 posts) -
@SlasherMan said:

@mordukai: I'm going to ask the obvious question, but are your drivers up to date? Also, do you wipe your drivers clean before you install new ones (with tools such as DriverSweeper)?

If not, I would suggest you do. It'll take you an extra 5 minutes to uninstall, boot into safe mode, wipe the drivers, reboot and then install the new ones, but it'll be worth it and it could solve what may just be some sort of driver conflict.

Do this, it has solved many an issue for me in the past. 

Dead Island might run well for me because I just formatted a week ago and all of my drivers are 100% up to date. It was running amazingly. Fun game too. The weapons have a really weighty feel to them that works really well.
#16 Edited by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

Just so you know, Vsync can reduce framerates pretty significantly, because the machine basically has to wait around not doing anything while the tearing gets sorted out. Try turning that off and it might help alot.

#17 Posted by mordukai (7133 posts) -

@nintendoeats said:

Just so you know, Vsync can reduce framerates pretty significantly, because the machine basically has to wait around not doing anything while the tearing gets sorted out. Try turning that off and it might help alot.

Ohh...I meant to say that there are still considerable amount of screen tear even with vsynch on. Thanks for pointing that out to mt.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.