Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Island

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released Sep 06, 2011

After a zombie virus sweeps across a beautiful island resort, survivors must fight their way to freedom while trying to find out exactly what went down in this open-world first-person action game.

Dead Island totally not gettin credit where its due

paulithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By paulithon

I dont know why there has been hardly any coverage or excitement. people that havent seen the game seem to think its a left of for dead copy which is really really annoying and obviously not true 

Im so stoked for this game. wespecially watching demo from E3 and they show the inventory and the player has a stack load of loot with unique names...... oh god yes please 

a openish world zombie hack and slash with borderands style quests and awesome weapon upgrading and loot..... plus driving :D im in heaevn.now i will shut up about this game ;)

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Cincaid

I'm really excited as well. I only fear it'll be too focused on online co-op and/or multiplayer, since I'm only after the single player experience.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Start using those apostrophes, young man!

Anyways, yeah. Right now it seems a tad janky which I hope they will polish up before release. Hopefully...

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By emergency

Excitement?

See first cinematic trailer views.

paulithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By paulithon
    @OllyOxenFree:  Im sorry, its been a lonnggggg day at work :D. 

Ive decided to officialy get as much coverage on giant bomb as possible for this game!! :D 
    starting with images 

paulithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By paulithon

btw the new character  released looks like a badass

Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Agent47
    @emergency: It wasn't made by the developers.And sadly everyone got the impression the developers thought they would.The completely wrong one, I dunno what people are thinking but the trailer's purpose was to show that they are taking zombis seriously and in a realistic situation.There isn't any father/daughter thing going on that is just another story of the island.None of those characters are in the game.
    emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By emergency

@Agent47 said:

@emergency: It wasn't made by the developers.And sadly everyone got the impression the developers thought they would.The completely wrong one, I dunno what people are thinking but the trailer's purpose was to show that they are taking zombis seriously and in a realistic situation.There isn't any father/daughter thing going on that is just another story of the island.None of those characters are in the game.

Yeah, but the pooint is that it caused a lot of buzz and excitement about the game regardless of whether it was misinterupted.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I'm not convinced. I get the impression that the developers don't know what they want the game to be, or at least the PR don't know what they want the public perception of the game to be. One minute they're talking about the improvised weapons the melee combat and that sort of stuff, which sounds really cool. The next minute they release a bunch of screenshots with virtually every single one containing a gun, which essentially makes it look like an open world Left 4 Dead. That doesn't really appeal to me. It could be good, but the confused messages don't exactly inspire confidence.

NickBOTT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By NickBOTT

I think that if they put enough effort in the game as they did in that trailer where it's playing both from the beginning and the end, then the game should be amazing.  Side note, that trailer was probably one of the best trailers I've ever seen.

BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By BasketSnake

I'm excited whether we get guns or not. It's an open world zombie game with XP to be earned. My friend and I are getting it!

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12  Edited By Yanngc33

I'm skeptical, I feel like it could go either way...

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SlasherMan
    @MattyFTM: I think what the game will be is pretty clear if you look at some gameplay videos. It's a mish-mash of concepts taken from a few games like Dead Rising, Left 4 Dead and Far Cry. And honestly, that sounds pretty good to me.
    Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#14  Edited By Sooperspy

I'm very excited for this game. I absolutely love zombies, and I personally don't think there is enough zombie games.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Spoonman671

Seems like just another zombie video game that doesn't really get zombies.

ToxikPandaKoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By ToxikPandaKoi

sounds like a really good idea.

phonics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By phonics

When I saw the first CGI-trailer with the man, wife and little girl I was super stoked for this. 

Turns out its just another clunky FPS that tries to be a first person Dead Rising. No amount of  'random loot XD' will change the fact that I wont buy it. After Borderlands I'm convinced that any game that boasts to be 'diablo-like' will most likely be total trash.

RichMeisterMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RichMeisterMan
    @OllyOxenFree said:

Start using those apostrophes, young man!

Anyways, yeah. Right now it seems a tad janky which I hope they will polish up before release. Hopefully...

Exactly. Everything I hear when it comes to impressions and hands on is that the game feels weird or clunky.
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By kingzetta

sounds like zombie farcry or first person dead rising.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By Vinny_Says

it's the zombie part that makes me not care, tropics or not.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

I haven't actually seen much coverage of it after the trailer. I don't even know what the gameplay is like.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CptBedlam

@Yanngc33 said:

I'm skeptical, I feel like it could go either way...

Definitely this.

Also, just yesterday there was a thread from someone who got to play the game and he was pretty disappointed. Apparently the game has the same sort of clunky and janky feel that CoJ: The Cartel has.

Moztacular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Moztacular

I agree with just a lot of what is being said here by everyone. I enjoy zombies but this game probably isn't gonna hit that sweet spot in terms of quality. To the OP the lack of coverage and journalism excitement around this game should be the big tipoff that sadly this game is probably not turning out well; never mind the fact that in the E3 developer driven preview video the game looked janky as hell with clipping and stiff animations galore. "That's alright that was months ago and they can fix all of that before release" some might say. However some of us may remember getting hyped for this game about five or six years ago when initial concept art, title card, and trailers were released. After that amount of time to see any kind of jank or stiffness is disconcerting to say the least; go and watch the trailer from E3 and ask yourself if that looks like a polished product that's been in production for 5+ years.

I know I'm sounding harsh, and I'm right there with everyone else in wanting this game to be an amazing open world survival zombie experience on a tropical island, but so far i'm really getting rubbed the wrong way; and as I mentioned the severe lack of press coverage pretty much sums it up right there. How many superb or even just decent games release without the game media catching wind and giving everyone solid coverage and previews. the games media as a whole is pretty good about catching wind of great or good games that will be worth a gamers hard earned dollar, so despite the amount of excitement from the community, you say it best by indicating how little we know about how the game feels, plays, and handles because of the lack of media coverage but that lack of coverage alone tells me all I need to know.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By sirdesmond

@MattyFTM said:

I'm not convinced. I get the impression that the developers don't know what they want the game to be, or at least the PR don't know what they want the public perception of the game to be. One minute they're talking about the improvised weapons the melee combat and that sort of stuff, which sounds really cool. The next minute they release a bunch of screenshots with virtually every single one containing a gun, which essentially makes it look like an open world Left 4 Dead. That doesn't really appeal to me. It could be good, but the confused messages don't exactly inspire confidence.

I'm definitely feeling this as well with this game.

I am optimistic though and excited to see it do well and be well received upon release. That said, I'm certainly not going to pre-order it and will probably do some research once it does hit store shelves. I would love for it to be awesome!

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By Brendan

I don't understand the winkey smiley at the end of the post.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.