Dead Island's European Box Art

#1 Posted by Contro (2346 posts) -

It looks like the European version is keeping the little hanged man in the logo.... 

#2 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3629 posts) -

Wont the NA version have it?

#3 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19824 posts) -
@TheSeductiveMoose said:

Wont the NA version have it?

No, it won't. 

It's nice that Europe gets to keep the uncensored logo.
#4 Posted by AhmadMetallic (19303 posts) -

..bigger version please? I barely see anything

#5 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3629 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ: Any reason or is it just a design choice?
#6 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19824 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
#7 Posted by AhmadMetallic (19303 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
Oh i see. That's cool :)
#8 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19824 posts) -
@TheSeductiveMoose said:

@FluxWaveZ: Any reason or is it just a design choice?

ESRB Statement: 

"The video game industry has set guidelines about the types of content that are appropriate in advertising and marketing materials, which includes game box art," said the ESRB in a statement emailed to IGN. "According to those guidelines the depiction in the logo was not compliant."

"We never censor or dictate in any way what type of content can be included within a game. However, a game's marketing materials are seen by an audience that is much broader than that which actually purchases the game itself, so we enforce industry-adopted guidelines as to what is suitable for inclusion in these materials."

It's the same reason Left 4 Dead 2's logo was censored. 

Revised NA box art logo: 

#9 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3629 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ: Huh. That logo reminds me of Stubbs the Zombie for some reason.
#10 Edited by Contro (2346 posts) -

I still don't understand why it's been banned in America, the little guys red, not black : / More to the point, to this very day you still have "state sponsored murder" in some states.  

Get rid of your shitty backward laws, which are comically akin to some found in Sharia law in the countries you invade, and leave the little red guy alone, I say.

#11 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19824 posts) -
@Contro said:
I still don't understand why it's been banned in America, the little guys red, not black : / More to the point, to this very day you still have "state sponsored murder" in some states.   Get rid of your shitty backward laws which are akin to some found in Sharia law in the countries you invade, and leave the little red guy alone, I say.
What the fuck are you talking about?
#12 Posted by DeeGee (2175 posts) -
@Contro said:
Get rid of your shitty backward laws, which are comically akin to some found in Sharia law in the countries you invade, and leave the little red guy alone, I say.
Is that some subtle comment about masturbation?

I'm onto you.
#13 Posted by Crono (2762 posts) -

Americans - Wake up!  The zombies aren't gonna comply with your standards on marketing materials when it comes time for them to promote their new "Brains, yum!" campaign. This is the 40ccs of reality that you desperately need!

#14 Edited by SomeJerk (3733 posts) -
@Contro said:

I still don't understand why it's been banned in America, the little guys red, not black : / More to the point, to this very day you still have "state sponsored murder" in some states.   Get rid of your shitty backward laws, which are comically akin to some found in Sharia law in the countries you invade, and leave the little red guy alone, I say.

"Think of the children"

That's the answer.

You can only say "fuck" a certain amount of times in a movie. In a movie, you can only have a certain amount of thrusts in a sexual act even if you can only see moving shadows. Big bright toy guns are banned and real ones are allowed. You are not allowed to speak of things of black colour if you're speaking Spanish. Finding the bankers who put the world into a financial crisis and taking care of them.

No, think of the children.

e: and "please do not have your eye right over the carbonated beverage bottle opening, when opening it"
#15 Posted by WatanabeKazuma (1006 posts) -

Late releases be damned, us Europeans seem to be at least blessed when it comes to cover-art. 

The Final Fantasy cases were always a favorite of mine, they were always just a large image of the logo on a white background. It was simple but very striking, it gave the games a nice uniform look as well when they stood next to each other. That was a trend that abruptly stopped with FF13 however, bah! 

It might be just me, but that original logo seems pretty tame, a seemingly minor thing to be forced to change.

#16 Posted by EVO (4029 posts) -

Huh, didn't even know this was coming out on PS3. I thought it was PC only.

#17 Posted by Contro (2346 posts) -
@somejerk said:
@Contro said:

I still don't understand why it's been banned in America, the little guys red, not black : / More to the point, to this very day you still have "state sponsored murder" in some states.   Get rid of your shitty backward laws, which are comically akin to some found in Sharia law in the countries you invade, and leave the little red guy alone, I say.

"Think of the children"  That's the answer.  You can only say "fuck" a certain amount of times in a movie. In a movie, you can only have a certain amount of thrusts in a sexual act even if you can only see moving shadows. Big bright toy guns are banned and real ones are allowed. You are not allowed to speak of things of black colour if you're speaking Spanish. Finding the bankers who put the world into a financial crisis and taking care of them.  No, think of the children.   e: and "please do not have your eye right over the carbonated beverage bottle opening, when opening it"

Just as I've always suspected, that's some real twisted shit right there, no wonder so many people follow suit. 
#18 Posted by Sooty (8195 posts) -

lolESRB

#19 Posted by EVO (4029 posts) -

Logo aside it's pretty terrible box art.

#20 Posted by EuanDewar (5155 posts) -

This is up there with Alan Wake for me now in terms of "Wait, this is actually a game now?". Then Duke Nukem Forever above that of course.

#21 Posted by Sanious (799 posts) -
@EVO: Agreed 

Looks like he's in the middle of break dancing.
#22 Posted by Tregard (154 posts) -
@EVO said:
Logo aside it's pretty terrible box art.
Yeah, I'm quite glad I'm getting it on Steam now.
#23 Posted by Djeffers03 (2537 posts) -

Looks badass! 

#24 Posted by Yummylee (23515 posts) -

Score 1 for the crumpet cartel I guess. As others have said it looks pretty ugly anywhoo.

#25 Posted by shinigami420 (647 posts) -

This fanmade box art looks much better  IMO 

#26 Posted by Siepher (267 posts) -
@shinigami420: Is that really fanmade? It looks a lot better.
#27 Posted by BestUsernameEver (5026 posts) -

Americans - Wake up!  The zombies aren't gonna comply with your standards on marketing materials when it comes time for them to promote their new "Brains, yum!" campaign. This is the 40ccs of reality that you desperately need!        FTFY

#28 Posted by Tregard (154 posts) -
@shinigami420 said:
This fanmade box art looks much better  IMO 

So much better, but maybe I just prefer covers that are a little more minimalistic
#29 Posted by ArchScabby (5877 posts) -

But what does a guy hung from a tree have to do with zombies?

#30 Posted by Scooper (7920 posts) -

If little Joe picks up the game and sees a hanging man he's 100% likely to go home and hang himself. That's why it's censored. 

Obviously, we in the free world don't have to worry about these things because our IQ is not comparable to that of a soggy donut.

#31 Posted by Agent47 (1931 posts) -
@EVO: Wow I thought it was actually pretty good and artistic from the usual "meh" box arts they put out now adays.What did you want?
#32 Posted by Yanngc33 (4551 posts) -

looks awesome!

#33 Posted by billyhoush (1244 posts) -
@ArchScabby said:
But what does a guy hung from a tree have to do with zombies?
Exactly. Since the trailer I didn't understand the hanging in the logo besides being clever with the name. It's like they just told the artist the name of the game to base the logo on and not the subject matter. 

I haven't played the game but do the zombies hang people? Or do islanders hang the zombies? Does that island have capital punishment?? WHAT

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.