Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Island

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released Sep 06, 2011

After a zombie virus sweeps across a beautiful island resort, survivors must fight their way to freedom while trying to find out exactly what went down in this open-world first-person action game.

Drag?

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By CheapPoison

Seems to be semi stable now, for me at least, I am also on the PC and no analoge control doesn't bother me as much as i would have thought. The auto-lock on provides, together with mouse, enough control over where i want to place my shots in most occasions. 
    Enough so it doesn't feel like just tapping the attack button atleast. 

I was just curious, the stuff in the resort i liked quite a bit but as soon as i hit up the city area it took a nose dive for me. 
    the main reason i think are that killing zombies takes longer and longer i feel, no interesting additions in the combat so boredom kinda settles in . 
    I also just feel like the city area wasn't nearly as interesting as the resort part.The more enclosed environment and the lose of the big contrast of zombies and the resort. 

Are there other people that also felt this around the same time? 
    Interesting game none the less. 
    Kinda have an assassins creed vibe with it, if they buckle down with it another year or a bit longer for a sequel it might be really great. 

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By JTB123

I thought the same as soon as it left the resort, it just lost what little spark it had. Then I really started to notice all the little problems the game has and the longer I'm playing the more frustrated I'm getting with a lot of it.  

A pity because it has a pretty great concept. 

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Is it weird that when I saw the thread title "Drag?" I thought it was going to be about zombies in drag? You know, cross-dressing zombies? 

cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By cinemandrew

@CheapPoison: I'm confused. How does this have an Assassin's Creed vibe to it? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just wondering what you meant.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By warxsnake

I've been playing in a group of 4. We haven't been playing constantly, but when we do, it's been tons of fun. Personally can't wait till we reach the more urban areas.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By AndrewB
    @MooseyMcMan said:
    Is it weird that when I saw the thread title "Drag?" I thought it was going to be about zombies in drag? You know, cross-dressing zombies? 
    I didn't even see what game he was talking about and all I was thinking is "why are we talking about crossdressing on a video game website?"
    CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By CheapPoison
    I guess i chose a pretty bad title.. Didn't consider the potential other meaning.. whoops!

@MooseyMcMan
    said:

See if they had more of this it would drag so much! 

so to awnser your question.. there is a very really connection there yes! 

@cinemandrew said:

@CheapPoison: I'm confused. How does this have an Assassin's Creed vibe to it? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just wondering what you meant.

That i feel it is a great concept, but that the basic idea can't carry the whole game for the whole length. 
    Just that the basic idea wasn't fleshed out enough and like in assassins creed always doing the same 5 thing over and over again.; i also got that vibe from the objectives and mainly the combat. 
    Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Gizmo

Currently on Act 2, Chapter 7 and since Act 1 it's been kinda downhill. Act 1 was amazing, however. I've heard it gets even more repetitive and grindy the further you get into the game, unfortunately. 

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By yoshimitz707

@MooseyMcMan said:

I thought it was about the Drag force and was very confused.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes my sweet?

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had this exact issue with Borderlands (though, to be fair, most folks loved Borderlands), so I expect this game would probably share some of those same shortcomings.

Piglet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Piglet

I loved the contrast as you said...but I also thought there was a lack of zombies in the resort. The city provided a different environment with more zombies and created more stress so I liked it for a different reason. This game has made me think that a Walking Dead MMO could be a LOT of fun

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SSully

@HistoryInRust said:

I had this exact issue with Borderlands (though, to be fair, most folks loved Borderlands), so I expect this game would probably share some of those same shortcomings.

I think the difference between borderlands and this is borderlands constantly gave you new, unique weapons, and the enemies were different, but were never a real hastle. It seems like this just become a chore once you start hitting up the city and later levels of dead island, while borderlands was a pretty smooth trip.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SSully Yeah. I'd agree with that. But I played a lot of Borderlands solo, so I ran into the problem of only finding worthwhile loot on rare occasions, as opposed to a Diablo-style constant loot ocean.
    Piglet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Piglet

Also-I don't feel like it's a chore at all. Even at level 36 I can one hit zombies-just aim for the head. (just a note: I use blunt weapons-so even if I don't kill them, I usually knock them down with one hit and then can stomp their heads)

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By JoeyRavn

Lucky people. I spent the whole afternoon trying to make the game boot (only had to change "En" to "en" in an .ini file in the end, of all the damned things). When I'm able to finally launch the game without crashing... there's absolutely no text on the menus. Dead Island surely is a gem.

@drag said:

Yes my sweet?

And... /thread.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ninjakiller
    @AndrewB said:
    @MooseyMcMan said:
    I didn't even see what game he was talking about and all I was thinking is "why are we talking about crossdressing on a video game website?"
    This.   
    Cootsnoop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Cootsnoop

Even though the slums after the resort is way different, it doesn't exactly ruin it. Although it does dramatically ramp up the difficulty. I'm dying a lot more than I'm used to and a lot of times just running away or past the zombies. I still like it though, it adds more of a survival aspect to it.

Ulong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ulong

\the city is the worst section of the game, game comes back around in the jungle. I was starting to feel a little bit of drag when I did the city too, but by the time I finished the game I was ready to immediatly start a second playthrough because i was having so much fun.
    Struggle through the city, it's worth it.

The worst quest in the entire game is the three heads of cerberus chain, which is in the city. I geniunely believed there was parts that there was physically no way for me to not die as a solo play. I enjoyed the challenge level for the most part but, when I get on a rooftop and 5 or 6 infected (a specific type of fast/high damage zombies) suddenly surround me from all angles, with no warning that would happen if I got on the roof... wtf. There weren't even any infected screams before I stepped on the roof.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.