E3 2011: Dead Island Trailer

• 65 results
#1 Posted by shinigami420 (640 posts) -

YAY a trailer that i have already seen days ago good job

#2 Posted by Redbullet685 (6044 posts) -

Very excited for this game.

#3 Posted by elwillow (69 posts) -

oh... this look like a bit of gameplay...

#4 Posted by JoeyRavn (4974 posts) -

Story of my life.

#5 Posted by Ramone (2966 posts) -

Why are ALL the girls in bikinis?

#6 Posted by Dynamix (108 posts) -
@Jonny7892 said:

Easier to model I guess.
#7 Posted by This_Dude (295 posts) -

I don't like it as much now that I've seen gameplay.  the CG teaser did it's job correctly and was interesting,  but this doesn't look interesting to me.

#8 Posted by Lokno (386 posts) -

This game is like a dude who is trying really, really hard not to laugh at a funeral.

#9 Posted by BonOrbitz (2193 posts) -

I'd like to be optimistic for the game, but how does this differ from Left 4 Dead besides an island setting, electrified machetes, and Jack Daniels?

#10 Posted by Tesla (1923 posts) -

This looks really fun. I'm a fan of any game that attempts to do more than shoot guns from the first person perspective.

#11 Posted by Romination (2777 posts) -

@Dynamix said:

@Jonny7892 said:

Easier to model I guess.

It's a resort island?

#12 Edited by spiralsin (156 posts) -

Meh. So you get to play as a foul-mouthed, drunk a-hole?  Sorry, not interested.

I had high hopes after the original CG teaser trailer because it looked as if the game was character driven and had an emotional hook. The actual gameplay footage looks like more of the same "over the top" stuff. Not seeing much difference from Left 4 Dead.

#13 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -

I was really excited for this game until the moment I realised it was a full-out action game rather than a proper survival horror one... :(

#14 Posted by Ineedaname (4319 posts) -

@bonorbitz said:

I'd like to be optimistic for the game, but how does this differ from Left 4 Dead besides an island setting, electrified machetes, and Jack Daniels?

From the impression I have more open world mission based. Probably easier to say first person Dead Rising minus mad weapons and costumes.

#15 Posted by dr_mantas (1886 posts) -

Maybe if the story can support itself, with characters, etc... The action looks pretty cool, and maybe if there's some style to it...

You know what? This could be pretty good.

#16 Posted by Getz (3017 posts) -

still a bit hazy on how the characters work... It seems like you can play as different characters but haven't said if it's a forced switch or if you pick from the beginning.

#17 Posted by Twisted_Scot (1177 posts) -

The dude went to bed as a drunk white guy and woke up a hungover black guy. Now thats one crazy night.

#18 Posted by fox01313 (5073 posts) -

Neat idea, looks fun & want to see more.

#19 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

@shinigami420 said:

YAY a douchebag comment over the internet good job

#20 Posted by Marcsman (3198 posts) -

Count me in Day One.
#21 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1727 posts) -

Completely unsurprising. It's a zombie game. 

#22 Posted by aidros (238 posts) -

Open world RPG? Awesome Zombies? Cool Together? Fuck...Yeah!

#23 Posted by gabeq224 (17 posts) -
@MariachiMacabre said:

@shinigami420 said:

YAY a douchebag comment over the internet good job

hehehe, nice
#24 Posted by MisterMouse (3554 posts) -

still wondering what that song at the end is, or the theme music that has been used for dead Island... is it anything specific? I really like it.

#25 Posted by BonOrbitz (2193 posts) -

@Ineedaname said:

@bonorbitz said:

From the impression I have more open world mission based. Probably easier to say first person Dead Rising minus mad weapons and costumes.

Okay, I could dig that. I noticed "RPG elements" someplace so that's something else too.

#26 Posted by SkullcrusherMountain (954 posts) -

@Vegetable_Side_Dish: Completely unsurprising. It's a dismissive comment.

#27 Posted by kerse (2114 posts) -

I'm pretty interested in this game, if you get to play before the zombie thing even happens that'll be cool you don't really get to see that whole part where its spreading in games too often.

#28 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

Did that rap song say "Hide yo kids, hide yo wife" ?

#29 Posted by SockLobster (456 posts) -
@spiralsin said:
Meh. So you get to play as a foul-mouthed, drunk a-hole?  Sorry, not interested.  I had high hopes after the original CG teaser trailer because it looked as if the game was character driven and had an emotional hook. The actual gameplay footage looks like more of the same "over the top" stuff. Not seeing much difference from Left 4 Dead.
You actually get to choose from a variety of different characters with different storylines, and will then bump into the other characters a la Farcry 2. Also full 4 player co op through the entire story. Game looks like it has vast potential to be very good, deep, story based fun.
#30 Posted by deltaalphabravo (144 posts) -

....hopes dashed. :(

#31 Posted by DukesT3 (1917 posts) -

I still have hopes. If its a better looking version of L4D and with a story hopefully as deep as maybe something like the Walking Dead, then count me the fuck in! 

#32 Posted by zeezkos (64 posts) -

electrified machetes.  xp and dmg numbers floating all over the screen...  I'm concerned that it won't be scary at all, just a fun romp.  Which is ok, of course.. just not what i mistakenly believed it would be......  

on a side note, I do like the integration of fast and slow zombies, with the faster ones being an in-between stage.  At least it seems that you can switch off the floating combat text.

#33 Edited by spiralsin (156 posts) -
@SockLobster said:
@spiralsin said:
Meh. So you get to play as a foul-mouthed, drunk a-hole?  Sorry, not interested.  I had high hopes after the original CG teaser trailer because it looked as if the game was character driven and had an emotional hook. The actual gameplay footage looks like more of the same "over the top" stuff. Not seeing much difference from Left 4 Dead.
You actually get to choose from a variety of different characters with different storylines, and will then bump into the other characters a la Farcry 2. Also full 4 player co op through the entire story. Game looks like it has vast potential to be very good, deep, story based fun.
Oh, that's good to know. My interest waned considerably when it seemed like it was going to be another carbon-copy zombie FPS.  If it indeed has decent story elements, characterization, and gameplay that sets it apart then I'll keep it on my radar.
#34 Posted by DBagalot (159 posts) -
@spiralsin said:
 If it indeed has decent story elements, characterization, and gameplay that sets it apart then I'll keep it on my radar.
#35 Posted by m0rdr3d (474 posts) -

Oh man, for a second there I about shat on Dead Island when it looked like I was gonna be stuck with the "hoodoo voodoo, bitch!" guy.  Please don't ruin such a promising game for me.
#36 Posted by Bouke (1402 posts) -

Got a real Walking Dead Hawai fibe from that trailer...the music and everything!
#37 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

@bonorbitz said:

From what I gathered it will have a lot of mission based rpg-esque quests a la Fallout 3 and Oblivion, which could make for a much wider assortment of gameplay options than L4D's "GET TO THE FUCKING SAFEHOUSE!"

#38 Posted by Winternet (8019 posts) -

What? No Power? lame.

#39 Posted by sixpin (1292 posts) -

@bonorbitz said:

@Ineedaname said:

@bonorbitz said:

Okay, I could dig that. I noticed "RPG elements" someplace so that's something else too.

No costumes yet, but I'm pretty sure I saw a workbench for putting nails in a bat in one of the leaked videos that was posted on the forums a week or two ago.

#40 Posted by BonOrbitz (2193 posts) -

@sixpin said:

@bonorbitz said:

@Ineedaname said:

@bonorbitz said:

No costumes yet, but I'm pretty sure I saw a workbench for putting nails in a bat in one of the leaked videos that was posted on the forums a week or two ago.

That's probably where some of the RPG elements come into play (if you even consider it that)? Customizable or upgradable weapons.

I hope they make the game engaging and deep for the solo player as well as multiple players.

#41 Posted by christ0phe (952 posts) -

It's basically Oblivion/Fallout with zombies

#42 Posted by sixpin (1292 posts) -

@bonorbitz: Personally, I'm not too thrilled by what I've seen so far, but I'm going to keep an eye on it. I like to be surprised by games sometimes (in a good way, not in a Brutal Legend way).

#43 Posted by CallMeRotten (229 posts) -

The first trailer I have seen with actual gameplay footage and...not good. Ah well.

#44 Posted by nasie (126 posts) -

This looks like it could be a surprise surprise great game! but it also could be very medicore

#45 Posted by ProjektGill (752 posts) -

I was never a fan of first-person brawlers. I tried the Condemned games and didn't like them so I don't think I'll be picking this up.

#46 Posted by ScreamingFist (364 posts) -

Right in the fuckin' head

#47 Posted by LemonJoose (52 posts) -

Yep, it's pretty clear that the "Family / Little Girl" trailer was totally misleading, because this new trailer makes it pretty clear this game is just going to be another ultraviolent zombie-killing game with little hope that it somehow found a way to include a real story or characters you actually care about.

#48 Posted by Freqtal (93 posts) -

@pyromaster222 said:

still wondering what that song at the end is, or the theme music that has been used for dead Island... is it anything specific? I really like it.

It was composed for the trailer by Giles Lamb. Can be downloaded here.

#49 Posted by Ravenousrattler (1417 posts) -

Why won't they just get the fuck out his way already

#50 Posted by SkinnyBlue (320 posts) -

So...I'm sort of confused by that first trailer with the family and the little girl now. Because this just looks like another "Kill as many fu*king zombies as you can" game, and not a game with a deep, emotional story that has believable and likeable characters. It does look like fun, though. But it seems like they've completely ditched the tone that they were going for with their first trailer.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.