Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Island

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released Sep 06, 2011

After a zombie virus sweeps across a beautiful island resort, survivors must fight their way to freedom while trying to find out exactly what went down in this open-world first-person action game.

Edge gives Dead Island 3/10

• 120 results
    Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By Agent47

@Ertard: If it were someone bigger like EA I would agree but this is Techland's biggest title yet not mention it uses the recently new Chrome Engine.So lots of bugs are a sure thing.But it is cool tha the dev team actually said that they would be working on more patches and bug fixes before they get to work on DLC that says something about those guys, and yeah the melee system is great but it just saddens me that they hide their ingenius analog fight type and most people that played it missed out on it.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#102  Edited By IBurningStar
    @Tim_the_Corsair said:
    I take it Edge is a heel again then?
    I don't know why all these marks are flipping out over his opinion of a video game. Guy really knows how to draw heat.
    RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#103  Edited By RIDEBIRD

@TheDudeOfGaming: Totally missed this reply. I used to be a professional, and yes, I see how you think. However, that makes for horribly bland writing that no one wants to read, and if you're just going to write ''personally, I hate this game, but I guess it's well crafted so that FANS OF THE GENRE will enjoy it'' and then go on to say how much you did not enjoy your experience, but excuse all of that because some people might like it. There is no way you're getting out of your personal opinion, and you shouldn't try to. Also, no even remotely serious site or publication would publish such an awful writer - it's simply makes for bad writing to try to be objective. A review is supposed to be your opinion, nothing else.

If you like GBs reviews, you like subjective reviews. You probably just haven't realized it, since objectivity in criticism has been warped to some sort of mark of quality, when it's actually just a mark of laziness and shitty writing. You shouldn't look for objectivity. You should look for writers with similar tastes, skill, experience as you that judge games the way you do yourself.

Generally that's how the review process on a site/pub works as well. You don't give Mass Effect 2 to the guy that fucking hated Mass Effect or hates RPGs in general or just isn't that knowledgable on the genre. You give it to a person that has the required experience and interest to make a judgement of the game based on their experience with it. Why do you think Jeff is the one that reviews fighting games? Why did Brad review Star Craft 2?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#104  Edited By Animasta

@Rappelsiini said:

Is this the same Edge that gave Deadly Premonition a 7?

hey, 7 is probably one of the more realistic scores of that game. better than destructoid's 10 or IGN's 3 (was it IGN or gamespot, I forget)

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By DystopiaX

I like Edge. I'd rather a critic be too harsh with a game than too forgiving. Also tired of people bitching because reviewers don't like a game that they like.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By MikeGosot

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

The job of a reviewer is to review a game objectively, someone can not like a game but still see its strengths and praise them. That's why Jeff is da man! The Giantbomb crew are about the only reviewers i trust nowadays.

This is just my two cents, and i'm sure someone said this already but... Games aren't TV's. They aren't fridges either. You don't judge them by design choices and technology. Games are experiences, and should be judged as experiences. If your experiences are good with said game, you should give this game a good score. I gave Onechanbara 8/10, and everybody knows that technically that game SUCKED. But i had fun with the game. And that's what matters.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#107  Edited By tim_the_corsair
    @IBurningStar maybe the career-ending injury has just soured him when it comes to game reviews?

But I guess I think I know him, but I'll never know him. I am lost and scared (insert bitching guitar solo here).
    jjnen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#108  Edited By jjnen

@Laketown said:

@Rappelsiini said:

Is this the same Edge that gave Deadly Premonition a 7?

hey, 7 is probably one of the more realistic scores of that game. better than destructoid's 10 or IGN's 3 (was it IGN or gamespot, I forget)

You might be right even though it seems a little high to me (not saying it should be 3 but maybe 6 or so).

What I'm trying to say is that Deadly Premonition clearly had problems. It was ugly, gameplay was bad and it clearly had other problems too. It got 7 despite those problems, because small studio made an ambitous open world game with a weird-ass story. And what is Dead Island? Pretty small budget open world game with open world jankiness. But the gameplay is somewhat innovative and it looks like a game from this generation. I could list good and bad things from both of the games but in the end either of the games aren't perfect but they're both enjoyable.

Rasgueado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#109  Edited By Rasgueado

Wait... WHO rated this 3/10? Edge? Some of you might call bullshit, but I'm serious... I've never seen this publication before in my life. Why should I care?

fullmetal5550

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By fullmetal5550

I have learned that the best review is your own review. I may read a review but I won't pay any attention to the score. The only review I trust is my own.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Rasgueado said:

Wait... WHO rated this 3/10? Edge? Some of you might call bullshit, but I'm serious... I've never seen this publication before in my life. Why should I care?

Do you consider yourself a gamer? You should know what EDGE is. That's not sarcasm by the way. EDGE magazine has been a very influential source of news, editorial previews and reviews since the early 90s and its legacy stretches back into the 80s from a series of magazine which WM's own Garry Whitta used to write for.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#112  Edited By RIDEBIRD

@Rasgueado: Regarded as, or at least used to be, the most critical publication out there. Very anti score inflation. Known for loving the shit out of Halo and correctly identifying it as one of the most influential games ever and giving it 10 out of 10, as well as consistently for the last ten years giving at least 2-3 points less to pretty every random 8-9/10 game.

They also have very low tolerance for technical issues, as you can see in the case of Dead Island.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By ryanwho

@Rasgueado said:

Real gamers know about all the obscure gaming magazines because real gamers have nothing better to do than fixate on trivial shit. You're not a real gamer like SeriouslySad.

Rasgueado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#114  Edited By Rasgueado

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Rasgueado said:

Do you consider yourself a gamer? You should know what EDGE is. That's not sarcasm by the way. EDGE magazine has been a very influential source of news, editorial previews and reviews since the early 90s and its legacy stretches back into the 80s from a series of magazine which WM's own Garry Whitta used to write for.

Hehehehehahahahahahahahahaha

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@ryanwho said:

@Rasgueado said:

Real gamers know about all the obscure gaming magazines because real gamers have nothing better to do than fixate on trivial shit. You're not a real gamer like SeriouslySad.

Go Ryanwhoknowsnothing. You go girl.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By ryanwho

lol

edmundus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By edmundus

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Rasgueado said:

Lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f90eabee6bba
    deactivated-5f90eabee6bba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did anyone watch TNT? It's pretty obvious what kind of game Dead Island is.

LiquidElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By LiquidElite

people ALWAYS cry about bugs. i have completed the game with two characters now and not yet experienced any "GAME BREAKING" bugs. i will admit the pc had terrible problems. but i rarely came across any on the xbox

its odd because i found very few in new Vegas, fallout 3 and oblivion also. and i poured a good 200 hours into each of those games. yet all i ever hear about them is how crazily buggy and broken and impossible to play they are. i think whats happening is people are getting frustrated and acting over the top.

i'm starting to believe that my xbox is some custom made beast that makes yours look like a calculator.

edge are always over the top. i give the game a solid 7 out of 10 though.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

#120  Edited By Deranged

It's his job to review the game under his opinion, you can't judge him for that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.