Is Dead Island Any Good?

#1 Posted by ShinjiEx (624 posts) -

Or is it just hype over that commercial that I guess has nothing to do with the game

I don't know I'm on the fence still about getting the game

I like Fallout & open style sandbox RPG type games

But I'm not a fan being restricted for the most part to melee weapons I mean for a Zombie Apocalypse it be nice to have a shotgun to splatter those brains ^__^

#2 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

It's a really solid game, I recommend buying it.

#3 Edited by Zacagawea (1569 posts) -

It's not a really solid game, I don't recommend buying it.

#4 Posted by MightyDuck (1435 posts) -

@ShinjiEx: I don't own the game, but from what I've been reading, the guns don't factor into the game until you're pretty far in.

#5 Posted by Redbullet685 (5980 posts) -

It's a very really solid game, and I recommend reading my review and then buying it.

#6 Edited by themangalist (1675 posts) -

On the PC, black screen. Tried every "fix" out there. Black screen. More DLC releases, no patch in sight. Black screen. At least no patch that would fix my problem. Black screen. Sadface*

#7 Edited by buzz_clik (6837 posts) -

I'm loving it so far - it's really absorbing and a bunch of fun to boot. I loved Far Cry 2 (until the save bug *mutter mutter*) and this is pretty much that with zombies, RPG elements and some very satisfying melee combat mechanics.

Re: firearms, I'm in the second act, found a bunch of pistols and they're all pretty good to use even though I'm the blunt weapons guy. Just got hold of a rifle last night, but I've not used it yet.

#8 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Reviews....

#9 Posted by ShinjiEx (624 posts) -

@buzz_clik said:

I'm loving it so far - it's really absorbing and a bunch of fun to boot. I loved Far Cry 2 (until the save bug *mutter mutter*) and this is pretty much that with zombies, RPG elements and some very satisfying melee combat mechanics.

They ever get a patch for that save bug on Far Cry 2 that shit was lame :(

#10 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2072 posts) -

@themangalist: Theyre postponing the DLC so they can fix more bugs

#11 Posted by buzz_clik (6837 posts) -

@ShinjiEx said:

No idea, actually; I gave up on that game pretty quickly about 60% of the way through when it sabotaged my save and broke my heart. Every now and then I'll see it in the drawer and feel a bittersweet wave of emotion wash over me.

#12 Posted by CollyWolly (57 posts) -

Dead Island is a good game, but you're going to have the most fun playing it co op with some friends. I ended up getting it from a redbox and had it for 7 nights. Finished it up and don't really feel the need to go back to it. If you have the coin, go ahead and purchase it. It is definitely at least worth a rent.

#13 Posted by Vexed (313 posts) -

@ShinjiEx said:

Or is it just hype over that commercial that I guess has nothing to do with the game

I don't know I'm on the fence still about getting the game

I like Fallout & open style sandbox RPG type games

But I'm not a fan being restricted for the most part to melee weapons I mean for a Zombie Apocalypse it be nice to have a shotgun to splatter those brains ^__^

The melee combat is the best part. The guns aren't particularly effective against most enemies anyway. You can get those classic shotgun head pops, but I find timing a katana slice to decapitate an enemy sprinting towards me to be more satisfying =P

#14 Posted by bobafettjm (1254 posts) -

@buzz_clik: Out of the guns I like the rifles the most. They seem to be particularly effective against the human enemies.

#15 Posted by Brendan (7514 posts) -

@buzz_clik said:

@ShinjiEx said:

No idea, actually; I gave up on that game pretty quickly about 60% of the way through when it sabotaged my save and broke my heart. Every now and then I'll see it in the drawer and feel a bittersweet wave of emotion wash over me.

I got the exact same problem. I rented the game from Blockbuster and after I cleared the first mission of the new map I got boned. I gave it back and told them the disk was busted, never to play it again.

#16 Posted by Milkman (16228 posts) -

4 stars.

#17 Edited by Aetheldod (3341 posts) -

@ShinjiEx: I got 45 hours from it , even though the final stretch I had to breeze through it , were I live there is only Blockbuster and a 5 day rental only :( aand more than Fallout think of it as Borderland , you have no dilogues trees and the story is minimal/not so good (but what did you expected from a zombie game?) , but the gameplay is all worth it tho. I only used the shotgun till the end and I regret it a little , is so fun to blow arms from the zombies to finally head shot them :P but in reality this game is 80% melee , because guns have little ammo , you can make some but in any moment you run out of bullets. I played Billy and his skill tree was very interesting , I assume that each character hasan ironed out skill tree. There is a lot of offbeaten path quests and loot and the weapons when modified provide more zombie killing options , also the anologue system is very fun and unique. On the downside the story cutscenes are the worst part of the game and are barely mediocre at best. I really liked this game and I would definitely recomend it , if you like FPS RPGish games , but again if you want a story , then dont bother with it.

#18 Posted by Sackmanjones (4609 posts) -

I enjoy murdering zombies and playing with friends. So yeah its purrty good!

#19 Posted by DrBendo (240 posts) -

If you've seen any gameplay videos, you've pretty much seen what the game has to offer. Melee is certainly the focus, but the analog controls are well designed; they allow for full right-stick strike control without hampering the camera. It has a large world and a lot of content, but it's extremely repetitive. It also has a lot of bugs and quirks (mostly minor). Overall, it isn't a very good game. As mentioned, Fallout is a poor comparison; the game has co-op a looting/RPG structure similar to Borderlands, combat reminiscent of Condemned, and weapon variety, crafting, &degredation comparable to Dead Rising.

That said, I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Your experience hinges on how much you enjoy hitting zombies with sticks (among other, similar weapons). If cracking a skull open or severing an arm for the three thousandth time would lose it's joy, then you're better off waiting until the game hits bargain price.

#20 Edited by AdMordem (451 posts) -

Just finished it. Played through solo on the sword chick, only skipped 2 sidequests because I couldn't be assed going back to the Police Station.

Played some coop too which seemed fun, and probably how they thought most people would play the game. The save system over coop was a little buggy though, and just in general for these types of games, i like to explore at my own pace, so i stuck with single player for my main.

The main let down really is that they needed a deeper overall story arc to tie it together a bit better at the end.

Blown away by everything else.

If your worried about the guns - don't, They basically fall from the sky after the resort area.

#21 Posted by McShank (1628 posts) -

@themangalist said:

On the PC, black screen. Tried every "fix" out there. Black screen. More DLC releases, no patch in sight. Black screen. At least no patch that would fix my problem. Black screen. Sadface*

That is your own fault somewhere along the lines, Might try looking at their website or steam forums as iv read of a few people having that problem but got it fixed somehow.

@ShinjiEx: I pre-ordered it and the only glitch i found was day 1 before the patch that fixed the version they released to the actual one. If you enjoy guns more then melee then theres only 1 character that benefits more from ranged then melee and its the black lady (Sorry but i dont care what her name is and i dont think i will ever look), her rage attack revolves around spraying some pistol spray around and she has dmg bonus's to guns. You can find guns early on but ammo is pretty rare till act 2 when you hit the city, from there you will find pistols to shotguns to ak's to rifles. Only thing thats a downfall to them is that zombies dont take much damage from guns unless they are modded and you have headshot's but even then melee is the majority of the fighting in this. If your getting it for pc, then the glitches are far and few and they patch it almost daily since its release for small things that are found still. Xbox seems solid enough and the ps3 i hope has been patched for the auto save feature being broken, otherwise they all seem pretty solid now. The game gave me almost 40hours of single player fun of just running around finding quests and exploring. Just started NG+ with the same character for multiplayer fun but i havent found to many people at my level who have started over : /. I'd recommend

#22 Posted by Vinny_Says (5630 posts) -
@ShinjiEx: Only on PS3, everybody knows this!
#23 Posted by DeVeAn (414 posts) -

It's good fun but not very original. I don't think this is a game you will be coming back to after finishing it.

#24 Posted by me3639 (1607 posts) -

If you like Fallout or Dead Rising with not as much character/story interest then this is your game. My only complaint is the quick re spawn of enemies and not enough quick travel locations. A lot of repetitive combat you cant avoid but i still cant stop playing. Pure gaming entertainment.

#25 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

I may even say its my favourite game of the year so far.

#26 Posted by CrimsonNoir (391 posts) -

It's fun with co-op, but it is janky at times. If you can get it on sale, I'd say its worth around $40 but you put a lot of hours in it like Borderlands so even at $60 you may still find value in it. Expect first person melee, shooting doesn't really come into play.

#27 Posted by Subjugation (4693 posts) -

Having just finished it tonight I have to say that I was satisfied with the game. There is definitely some jank and some things that were overlooked that may raise eyebrows (they raised mine), but overall I feel like it was a pretty solid game. Jump kick man .... jump kick.

#28 Posted by Funkydupe (3293 posts) -

It is very entertaining in Co-Op, and really tough in singleplayer at least I thought so. You get paranoid. Haha. :)

#29 Posted by face15 (1244 posts) -

I have not played this game and have nothing to contribute.

#30 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Boring quests, lots of jank, dull characters and story. I didn't like it even on co-op with friends. Just got boring after a few hours.

#31 Posted by sagesebas (2003 posts) -

I loved it for the first ten hours though I kind of got tired of it and don't plan on finishing it I rented it btw

#32 Posted by ShinjiEx (624 posts) -

Thank for the feedback ^__^

I'll hold out a bit maybe I'll go rent it when it's available since it's hard to find right now

I'm more hyped for Rage to be honest...

#33 Posted by JustKamToo (624 posts) -

I'm having a fun time, you really will love kicking zombies! single player & multi both are great.

#34 Posted by ProfessorEss (7123 posts) -

I love it.

#35 Posted by Jimbo (9710 posts) -

It's melee Borderlands. 7/10

#36 Posted by ProfessorEss (7123 posts) -
@JustKamToo said:

...you really will love kicking zombies!

You'd better love it, cause yer gonna be doing a lot of it. 

If you don't like kicking zombies, stay far, far away from Dead Island.
#37 Posted by Vodun (2365 posts) -

Yes, it is any good.

#38 Edited by SPACETURTLE (1622 posts) -

I have a hard time recommending the game, but I also have a hard time NOT recommending the game... If you know what I mean? :S If there is a demo out I recommend you try that out first. You would get a good idea if that game is for you or not, though the game gets better the further you progress, like most RPGs in my experience. Oh, and I think the analog controls are crucial for a good experience. So either the console version or PC with controller (like me) is recommended.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.