Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Island

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released Sep 06, 2011

After a zombie virus sweeps across a beautiful island resort, survivors must fight their way to freedom while trying to find out exactly what went down in this open-world first-person action game.

is dead island gonna disappoint most gamers?

• 84 results
    ssc604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ssc604

so i've been doing some research on this game, and the opinions are split down the middle. big fans of games like L4D are calling it "shit" already, whereas fans of games like FALLOUT 3 & FALLOUT NV are a little more optimistic.
    IMO this game ain't gonna be the best thing you've ever played, but will be quite satisfying. i love sandbox games, i love RPGs, i love FPS's, and i love zombies. this game has
    all of that (well actually its more FPP than FPS) but still sounds pretty kick ass. just wanted to hear more opinions from gamers XD

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By NekuSakuraba

I think it will be great.. I hope so at least.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By crusader8463

I hope not. I finished preloading this morning and I don't have the money to waste on a game I don't like. As long as it has serviceable combat, good RPG elements, and a story/characters that I want to learn more about I will be happy.

Avatar image for chaoskiller2000
    Chaoskiller2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#4  Edited By Chaoskiller2000

I am looking forward to it Fallout with zombies sounds amazing to me!

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By kingzetta

To be disappointed you would have to have expectations in the first place.
    I don't think the average gamer even knows what Dead Island is.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By zeforgotten

No idea, I don't know and care about them. But having played some of it at some events I can say that I will enjoy the game a lot and I'm one of those people who enjoyed both Left 4 Dead games and all of the Fallout Games (not just 3 and New Vegas). I do talk to a few people every day who really likes Left 4 Dead though and have never touched Dead Island and only watched videos of it who already call it shit. You know those types of people right? The people who just call stuff shit without having even been near the game

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
    deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm betting a shitload of Brad bucks that Dead Island is going to be shit

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By zeforgotten

@Zacagawea said:

Get with the times man, we're using Space Brad bucks now :P

ssc604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ssc604
    @ZeForgotten: yeah i don't understand why people just step on the game before its even out, seems like the main reason from haters is that guns aren't gonna be the main zombie killer.
    WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By WickedCestus

I like that a game having a nice CG trailer and then turning out to be bad is now a "disappointment". I don't know anyone who's actually excited about it, it's not even out yet, and already about half a billion people have called it a disappointment. 

Personally, I have zero expectations. So, I guess I'll just see. 

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MrKlorox

No, because most gamers don't have any hype for Dead Island. Can't be disappointed with a complete lack of expectations.

edit:

@kingzetta said:

To be disappointed you would have to have expectations in the first place. I don't think the average gamer even knows what Dead Island is.

Fuck...

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By zeforgotten

@ssc604: Going up against zombies(I regret that these types of freaks have become "Zombies" though!) with a gun is boring anyway. Even in the L4D games you mostly see me going up against ANYTHING with a melee weapon :P

Edit: Actually, for Dead Island it will probably be Melee weapons and, you know, cars.

Jazzycola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By Jazzycola

Hmm IDK can't say one way or the other. From the trailers I've seen it looks like Left 4 Dead and the trailers seem to be able to have any song synced with it. So there's that...I guess. Though there is also the talk on a few podcasts I listened to(Rebel.FM and the such) seem to be really disappointed with it but that could just be Arthur Gies being a cynical a hole.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BraveToaster

We can't speak for all gamers.

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By gamb1t

I dont have high expectations or even any at all? so ill see myself getting this when its around 25 / 30 bucks

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16  Edited By Justin258

I actually haven't seen much of it past that one trailer with the dead girl. You know, the one that made practically everyone cry? 

Admit it. If you know what this game is, you know which trailer I'm talking about it, and if you watched it then there were tears behind your eyes just ready to come out. 

On a more serious note, I think people are expecting something to live up to that trailer. Like I said, I've not seen much beyond that, but there hasn't been many games that can bring that sort of a response out of anyone.

A chance I shall give it, but not at launch.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kingzetta
    @MrKlorox said:

No, because most gamers don't have any hype for Dead Island. Can't be disappointed with a complete lack of expectations.

edit:

@kingzetta said:

To be disappointed you would have to have expectations in the first place. I don't think the average gamer even knows what Dead Island is.

Fuck...

I win in your face.
    zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By zeforgotten

@believer258: That trailer was good but no, it didn't make me cry or even make my eyes wet in any way or form. It did leave an impact on me though since it was a great trailer I just didn't feel sad enough to cry for this girl and especially not when I found out she was a "zombie".

Who goes on a vacation in a place called "Dead Island" anyway? that seems like a terrible idea right from the start

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Pibo47
    @Zacagawea said:
    samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By samfo
    @believer258
    I actually haven't seen much of it past that one trailer with the dead girl. You know, the one that made practically everyone cry? 

Admit it. If you know what this game is, you know which trailer I'm talking about it, and if you watched it then there were tears behind your eyes just ready to come out. 

On a more serious note, I think people are expecting something to live up to that trailer. Like I said, I've not seen much beyond that, but there hasn't been many games that can bring that sort of a response out of anyone.

A chance I shall give it, but not at launch.
    If that trailer genuinely emotionally affected anyone I'd be surprised. It was okay I guess? I don't get the hype for this game at all.
    Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Adamsons

Its going to be nowhere near as polished as something like L4D2, but there will probably be some coop fun to be had if you can accept the layer of jank.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By kingzetta
    @ZeForgotten said:

@believer258: That trailer was good but no, it didn't make me cry or even make my eyes wet in any way or form. It did leave an impact on me though since it was a great trailer I just didn't feel sad enough to cry for this girl and especially not when I found out she was a "zombie".

Who goes on a vacation in a place called "Dead Island" anyway? that seems like a terrible idea right from the start

Well it's actually a peninsula
    IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By IBurningStar

I haven't seen anything from that game that I consider to look good or bad. It just seems fine, OK, just right in the middle. I don't understand what people see that makes them so excited about this. Then again, I don't understand why people get excited for a new Halo. Maybe this just isn't my kind of thing.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By zeforgotten

@kingzetta said:

@ZeForgotten said:

Well it's actually a peninsula

Well, Dead Kind-of-but-not-really Island would be a terrible name

Muerthoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By Muerthoz

When the trailer came out, I was turned off by it being another zombie game. I'm not a fan of horror/zombie games so I had zero interest in it. Over the past week, I have started to see videos posted and read more about the gameplay and my inrerest in this game has increased a little. I've gone from not going to get it, to might get it after the price drops. Like other users have said, you have to have some sort of expectations for something before it can disappoint you.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#26  Edited By Jeust

Futurology... -_-"

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Clonedzero

the gameplay videos ive seen, the player character says stupid crap everytime you hit something. it looks annoying as hell

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By HandsomeDead

No. Most gamers seem to be the kind of people who would lap up yet another zombie shooter regardless of quality.

rockinkemosabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By rockinkemosabe

I think the game will get decent reviews and generally people will either dig it a lot or will think it's alright.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ShaggE

Hi. Representative of "Most Gamers" here.  

We at Most Gamers feel that Dead Island will be a fun, if hollow, diversion. Our expectations are not high, but we are interested enough to give it a try.  

(This opinion is subject to change during Most Gamers' merger with Cynical Bastards, who feel that Dead Island is a shitty game made for "sheeple", like all games made after 2001 or so, but they'll keep playing them anyway because there's nothing else to do when you hate everything. But they won't play Dead Island, regardless of its actual quality, because they can tell it is shit already, having seen shakycam footage of the alpha build last year.)

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By NathHaw

I don't think it'll live up to the reveal trailer, so I guess it'll probably be a disappointment for me.

Portis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Portis

I get an overwhelming feeling the press is going to shit all over Dead Island.

Also, just purely based off of the video I've watched the game wasn't exactly blowing me away. Looked a tad jank, even. But, we'll see...

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#33  Edited By AhmadMetallic

yes

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34  Edited By Branthog

No, it's not going to disappoint me, because I canceled the pre-order ages ago and unless general consensus turns out to be that it's the greatest shit since sliced bread, I'm not going to buy it at all. The initial trailer spurred a lot of possibilities in people's minds, but it turns out to be just another L4D game (which I was tired of by the point I reached the broken Amusement Park level in L4D2, which is the point where I took the game out, put it on the shelf, and never touched it again). The zombie genre still has a great deal of potential. It's not played out. What is played out is the same two styles of play that every zombie game falls into.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Branthog

@ssc604 said:

@ZeForgotten: yeah i don't understand why people just step on the game before its even out, seems like the main reason from haters is that guns aren't gonna be the main zombie killer.

I'm not new to this planet. I've had enough experience with certain things to pick up on tell-tale signs of suckage. The same way I don't need to wait until I watch "Scary Movie 5" to know it's going to be miserable shit and the same way I didn't need to wait until Bodycount was released to suspect it wouldn't be terribly great. There's always the chance that something can defy expectations - and when they do, that's great - but part of being sentient and having cognitive abilities is the capacity to learn from the past and I've learned that this looks like a very minor variation on L4D games, which I don't really want any more of right now.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MeierTheRed

I'm pretty sure that comparing this mediocre game to Fallout is a death penalty in some countries.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Capum15
    @SamFo said:

@believer258

If that trailer genuinely emotionally affected anyone I'd be surprised. It was okay I guess? I don't get the hype for this game at all.
    Geoff from Roosterteeth. He said that since he has a girl, he can't stand any sort of video like that. He didn't cry, but he couldn't watch the whole thing.

Edit: To be more on topic, I haven't followed it all that much and I don't plan on getting it anytime soon...so I guess it won't disappoint?
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#39  Edited By Humanity

It looks great because theres a story and literally drop in co-op.  Left for Dead is cool but just not my thing I suppose as it's sorta like a gauntlet.  I like the idea of a freeroam island with zombies and you just walk around doing "quests" and objectives to get off.  As far as I know theres no time limit either which is great because I hate those.  The RPG-ish leveling aspect of your abilities is another feature that I love in games - just love stackable progression so at the end of the game you feel like you've come somewhere.   

People on the internet are always ready to load up 10 seconds of a trailer and already start typing out "this game sux" before it even ended so I wouldn't put much merit into those online opinions.  There is a real vehement hate for Modern Warfare 3 right now online as if that series has raped someones parents in a shack or something - people are just stupid.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Ghostiet

I don't know. I'd want it to be good, but after the piece of shit Call of Juarez was and the janky gameplay they've shown, I'm not hoping for much.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Oldirtybearon
    @ShaggE: It looks shitty because of footage released this year. Animations look terrible, combat looks janky, and the whole island resort juxtaposed against 28 Days Later zombies is more annoying than it is scary. If they want to be scary, they should be scary. Bikini zombies chasing me down a sandy beach on a hot day is not scary, just tiring. 
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#42  Edited By Rhaknar

i went from not caring about this game at all to being incredibly hyped about it in the span of 2 or 3 days. When i found out its a open world melee game with lvling, quests and talent trees i was hooked, i thought it was just a L4D clone at first... when aparently its not a shooter at all, since guns are rare. Tidbit from IGN, for what its worth:

"I can tell you that this has replaced Deus Ex as "the game" around the IGN offices, this week. It's what we're playing, what we're talking about, etc.

But... I can also tell you that it's going to be divisive. This is an RPG, through-and-through. Even after folks know that, I'm still not sure they fully understand what they're getting into. As an RPG, combat is a bit clunky, etc. But the game makes up for this in other ways."

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#43  Edited By Rhaknar
    @Branthog said:

No, it's not going to disappoint me, because I canceled the pre-order ages ago and unless general consensus turns out to be that it's the greatest shit since sliced bread, I'm not going to buy it at all. The initial trailer spurred a lot of possibilities in people's minds, but it turns out to be just another L4D game (which I was tired of by the point I reached the broken Amusement Park level in L4D2, which is the point where I took the game out, put it on the shelf, and never touched it again). The zombie genre still has a great deal of potential. It's not played out. What is played out is the same two styles of play that every zombie game falls into.

aparently its not like L4D AT ALL, but im sure most people will still say it is (hell i thought it was like i said until recently)
    ssc604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ssc604
    @Branthog said:

I'm not new to this planet. I've had enough experience with certain things to pick up on tell-tale signs of suckage. The same way I don't need to wait until I watch "Scary Movie 5" to know it's going to be miserable shit and the same way I didn't need to wait until Bodycount was released to suspect it wouldn't be terribly great. There's always the chance that something can defy expectations - and when they do, that's great - but part of being sentient and having cognitive abilities is the capacity to learn from the past and I've learned that this looks like a very minor variation on L4D games, which I don't really want any more of right now.

yes dead island is totally a "minor variation of L4D" you're exactly the type of gamer i was referring to, just mad you can't run'n'gun.
    ssc604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ssc604
    @KingWilly said:
    @ShaggE: It looks shitty because of footage released this year. Animations look terrible, combat looks janky, and the whole island resort juxtaposed against 28 Days Later zombies is more annoying than it is scary. If they want to be scary, they should be scary. Bikini zombies chasing me down a sandy beach on a hot day is not scary, just tiring. 
    zombie games aren't supposed to be scary, just plain entertainment.
    was nazi zombies in COD scary? how about dead rising? oh wait theres L4D sooooooo scary lol  
    you dumb...so dumb that its "SCARY"
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Demoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By cstrang

I consider the lack of pre-release reviews on this game a bad sign. I wouldn't mind another game to keep me busy before Rage drops, but I think that game might have to be the copy of Bulletstorm I picked up for $15 the other day.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#48  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

I really hope it will be good but I got a feeling it won't.

WightnNerdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#49  Edited By WightnNerdy

After hearing that the game is like Fallout with quests and stuff makes me a little excited for it now. I was never interested in it before, though. It seemed like just another zombie killing game. 

Still, I'm waiting for the reviews first.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Oldirtybearon
    @ssc604 said:
    @KingWilly said:
    zombie games aren't supposed to be scary, just plain entertainment. was nazi zombies in COD scary? how about dead rising? oh wait theres L4D sooooooo scary lol   you dumb...so dumb that its "SCARY"
    I can tell that either your balls haven't dropped yet or you spend way too much time around children. You should stop that. 

To answer your accusations, though, I resent the idea that zombies cannot be and are not scary. 28 Days Later--a film I cited for a reason in my first post--is a scary zombie film. Left 4 Dead could be scary at times, such as when you're running blind through a corn field and there are zombies all around you. You can't see them until they're already on you, so you can either try to melee them to death or beat feet faster than Hermes. Nazi Zombies? Yeah, they could be unsettling. The tone and eerie nature of the first NZ map in World at War was pretty unsettling. Play it alone and in the dark during a lonely night and tell me you don't shriek like a woman.

One thing I'd like to point out though: I understand since the combined age of you and my cat is somewhere around 13 that it means you don't really have a wide purview of the world. You don't understand things, and what makes them work. I get that. You've grown up in an era where zombies have been seen in a more nostalgic, comedic light. I understand why you think zombies and games based on them exist purely for the player to "mow them down for entertainment", but that's just not the truth of Dead Island. Everything about that game screams "I want to be like ___ of the Dead". Those were scary (and depressing) films. Hell, watching gameplay or promotional footage for Dead Island also seems content with driving the point home even farther. One need only see the CGI reveal trailer of Dead Island to see the tone and style they're going for. If you'd like to argue how the debut trailer was in any way in service of the tone your poorly written tangent suggests, I'm willing to listen.  

Watching stupid people strain is quite fun, after all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.