Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Island

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released Sep 06, 2011

After a zombie virus sweeps across a beautiful island resort, survivors must fight their way to freedom while trying to find out exactly what went down in this open-world first-person action game.

PC gameplay and a few corrections on what Brad said

Cyborgmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Cyborgmatt

I made a quick video showing off the combat in the PC version of Dead Island, I noticed that Brad mentioned in the quick look that he wasn't sure if the PC version would let you aim for the specific limbs etc, I just wanted to point out that you can aim for specific limbs and that it works quite well as shown off in the video, I recorded it in 1080p so don't forget to watch it in HD, enjoy.

http://youtu.be/Wx-chGMzCQY?hd=1

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By shiftymagician

It unfortunately won't teach the team to fact-check this stuff before outright guessing and accepting their own speculative suggestions.  Good to know the feature exists and is implemented in the PC version.  I might get this game a little later on.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By ajamafalous
    @ShiftyMagician said:
    It unfortunately won't teach the team to fact-check this stuff before outright guessing and accepting their own speculative suggestions.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f8b49bb7fea7
    deactivated-5f8b49bb7fea7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank for the clarification, duder. I was pretty interested in the PC version until I heard Brad say that, but now I'm back on board (I'll still wait for all the issues to be worked out though).

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Marz

that's basically how digital combat works.   Analog combat however lets you control which direction you can swing from and etc, your not getting that same fidelity from digital combat because all your doing is pressing a button and letting the auto-aim do the work.  Way to make an analog type of system on the PC very easily would be to hold the left mouse button slide mouse in the direction you want to swing which is odd developers felt they couldn't implement it on a mouse and keyboard setup.

Cyborgmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Cyborgmatt

Also when you're in the jeep you can shuffle across to the driver's seat, at least in the PC version you can.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SSully

I think he was talking more about the way you are able to swing. For example you use the analog stick to swing downward by pressing up and down or something like that. Or if you want to swing it from right to left you do that with the stick. Is that how you do it in the PC version?

KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#8  Edited By KillyDarko
    @ajamafalous said:
    @ShiftyMagician said:
    It unfortunately won't teach the team to fact-check this stuff before outright guessing and accepting their own speculative suggestions.
    Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By CaptainTightPants

I really am loving this game, I just wish it had some FOV options. I can handle it but I still do feel a bit nauseous at times. 

@SSully said:

I think he was talking more about the way you are able to swing. For example you use the analog stick to swing downward by pressing up and down or something like that. Or if you want to swing it from right to left you do that with the stick. Is that how you do it in the PC version?

Sadly no that is Analog combat, the PC version is locked to Digital combat. I plugged in a controller just to use the Analog Combat though. They could definitely make that combat work on the PC, it is similar to Mount and Blade.
    project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By project343

I just want to point out that you are a monster. If I was a zombie, I would fear you. You're trumping my (lack of) zombie-murdering finesse.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By tourgen

I love the people ripping on the team for not fact checking - without even knowing what they are talking about and essentially getting it wrong.  PC is digital-control only.  Brad wasn't talking about the aiming.

The analog swings are more like the Daggerfall combat system.  Which is kinda weird considering the weekend live stream show.  Actually the Daggerfall system is probably the best way to do that type of control on a mouse+keyboard setup.  A little lazy that they didn't get it into Dead Island.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DystopiaX

@tourgen said:

I love the people ripping on the team for not fact checking - without even knowing what they are talking about and essentially getting it wrong. PC is digital-control only. Brad wasn't talking about the aiming. The analog swings are more like the Daggerfall combat system. Which is kinda weird considering the weekend live stream show. Actually the Daggerfall system is probably the best way to do that type of control on a mouse+keyboard setup. A little lazy that they didn't get it into Dead Island.

No, I'm pretty sure he said you could neither aim nor use analog combat. I'm not going to say it as definitively as the others did though cause I wasn't paying the closest attention to that QL.

Jiggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jiggah
    @DystopiaX said:

@tourgen said:

I love the people ripping on the team for not fact checking - without even knowing what they are talking about and essentially getting it wrong. PC is digital-control only. Brad wasn't talking about the aiming. The analog swings are more like the Daggerfall combat system. Which is kinda weird considering the weekend live stream show. Actually the Daggerfall system is probably the best way to do that type of control on a mouse+keyboard setup. A little lazy that they didn't get it into Dead Island.

No, I'm pretty sure he said you could neither aim nor use analog combat. I'm not going to say it as definitively as the others did though cause I wasn't paying the closest attention to that QL.

I'm pretty certain he said you can't lock on, which you can't in digital.  Even in your video you can see the crosshairs jumping everywhere.  Obviously, you can aim simply by looking, but you most definitely can not lock on.  And the analog control means that you can swing the weapon switch ever way you want.  In digital, when you swing a bat with no zombies around all you can do is swing left to right/right to left, whereas with analog you can push up/down and have them do a down swing or down/up and do an uppercut.
    Cootsnoop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Cootsnoop
    @Jiggah: Nah, I don't think so. I was trying it out today and as long as I aimed for that general vicinity of the body part, the game would deal damage to that part specifically. Also, Brad mentioned that analog can get tough in crowded situations cause you need time to pull back and flick forward, unless you flick the stick around. But in digital, depending on what weapon you have, you still have to time your swings right when a zombie is running at you cause they can interrupt the character as he/she is pulling back automatically. It would be pretty ridiculous and off balance if you could just flail any weapon around like it was a twig as long as you have it set to analog and your jutting that analog stick around. 
    Honestly, I don't see much of a difference in combat, analog may just feel more rewarding and visceral. I still have to give it a fair shot though. It would be cool to look into what he said about how the longer you hold back the more damage is dealt. That would totally change my tone.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AhmadMetallic

What are we talking about here? You aim with the mouse on the body part you wanna hit, the crosshair locks onto that limb, you hit left mouse button and chop it off. I'm not sure what we're discussing..

P.S. that gameplay was fucking awesome

dangerousdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By dangerousdave

I may have misunderstood as well, but whatever Brad said lead me to believe the reticule wouldn't auto-target specific limbs. So I assumed cutting off appendages would be just me looking at an arm and hoping my machete swipe would land properly to cut it off.

I'm relieved to find out it does work like the console. That, in combination with seeing just how great it looks in the videos you made, has got me pretty pumped for this game.

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By mfpantst
    @dangerousdave: I watched the specific part last night where he referenced the what he saw as differences between the PC and console controls- and he was simply saying that if you didn't use a gamepad you can't use the 'analog' controls which is the swing controls.  He even said that the 'targeting' was automatic on the xbox.
    CrimsonNoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By CrimsonNoir

I tried my 360 controller on it for a second and it felt really good. Maybe I'm more used to console controls, but if you can play with a 360 pad I would recommend it. Keyboard and mouse controls felt a little off to me especially when navigating the menu, it definitely feels more controller oriented.

wrathofconn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By wrathofconn

@tourgen said:

Regardless of if this particular issue involves it or not, ripping the team for not fact-checking is usually justified. If they refuse to learn about a game before they play it, how can we learn about it from watching them play it?

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By mikemcn

@AhmadMetallic said:

What are we talking about here? You aim with the mouse on the body part you wanna hit, the crosshair locks onto that limb, you hit left mouse button and chop it off. I'm not sure what we're discussing..

P.S. that gameplay was fucking awesome

You don't listen to the bombcast because your strange, Brad acted like you couldn't use analog melee in the PC version, I think he also said it in the QL.

BigLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BigLemon

@DystopiaX said:

@tourgen said:

If you're not sure, then you're doing the same thing Brad was allegedly doing.

Also, he didn't say anything about aiming at limbs. He was just referring to the analog versus digital. Go back and watch the QL.

SamSharp505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SamSharp505

I was hoping for mount and blade like controls :( 
    If you can use a controller on PC with analogue I guess I'll get one :P

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Meowshi

What a stupid fucking thread.  All he said is that you can't use analog controls! 

Why is this being discussed?!

Duke_of_IRL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Duke_of_IRL

Because of Brad's insistence I used the analog controls up until I got the achievement for 150 kills. I then tried out digital and found I liked it way more. I don't really care that I can swing my weapon in any direction. As long as I'm able to target specific parts of the body (which you can with digital) then I'm all good. The analog shit was getting to be a huge burden while surrounded by a mob, but it WAS fun in the early game when you only faced one or two walkers at once.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By Binman88

Being able to influence the direction of your swings seems unnecessary to me. I'm getting by just fine aiming for whichever limbs I want to hit and clicking on them.

hugh_jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By hugh_jazz

I watched the Quick Look and later bought a 4-pack of the game. Me and my friend started some co-op, with my two X360 controllers for the analogue combat. Afterwards, I tried out the digital and realized that it was in most ways superior to analogue with a controller. If you target a body part on the right side of an enemy, he will raise his weapon to the right and vice versa. I even saw the upward and downward slashes being used although I'm not sure how to reproduce this. The only thing I'm really missing is the simple fucking ability of holding down the left mouse button to keep a swing charged.

I do feel like the digital combat with a keyboard and mouse is similar enough to the analogue style with a controller, with regards to the finesse you're able to achieve, that I couldn't really recommend one over the other. I suppose it all really depends on your preferences. I'm not going to hold that against Brad or the others, though. The Quick Look still sold me on the game, for all the right reasons.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By Cirdain

@KillyDarko said:

@ajamafalous said:
    @ShiftyMagician said:
    cannedstingray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By cannedstingray

If you play using a game pad on the pc you get total analog control. I've been playing the PC version and using a 360 controller. I've bee switching back and forth from analog to digital. Both are satisfying in their own way IMO..

walter_sobchak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By walter_sobchak

@Marz said:

that's basically how digital combat works. Analog combat however lets you control which direction you can swing from and etc, your not getting that same fidelity from digital combat because all your doing is pressing a button and letting the auto-aim do the work. Way to make an analog type of system on the PC very easily would be to hold the left mouse button slide mouse in the direction you want to swing which is odd developers felt they couldn't implement it on a mouse and keyboard setup.

Actually, it is possible to change the direction of your swing based on your character's movement. If you want to swing from left to right, you start off by moving to the left (just tapping the left key is enough) and then move to the right while left clicking the mouse. It's a subtle system that is hardly documented and takes a little getting used to, but works to great effect. This works for all movement directions, and IMO is almost as good as the analog combat, with added mobility while swinging.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.