Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Island

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released Sep 06, 2011

After a zombie virus sweeps across a beautiful island resort, survivors must fight their way to freedom while trying to find out exactly what went down in this open-world first-person action game.

[ PC ] This game is quite awful

• 65 results
    Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Beaudacious

Reviewers keep saying this game is great looking, beautiful, visually great, what a load of horse dung. The AA in this game is god awful, textures, geometry are terrible, and the lighting is reminiscent of an undergrad's assignment. The FOV is a joke, everything looks gigantic (a.k.a xbox port), the menus were not designed with any pc utility in mind.

Game play got repetitive 1 hour in, by the fifth hour it was mind numbing. Chop his arm off, break his arm, hit him in the head, watch dps counters float off enemies (wtf?). Story is non-existent, saying anything to the contrary is reaching very very very...very far. All 4 characters are douches with zero authentic personality.

This whole game feels like a bad left4Dead 2 ripoff, with some rpg elements. The environments simply create an illusion of openness, while really being quit narrow in scope. The weapon system is designed by quantity over quality. Oh and half the time I spend looking at the floor picking up mats so I can hope to make a decently amusing weapon. The whole skill tree seems out-of-place, or useless.

This is not a 50$ game by any means, I'd say 30$ max. It feels like a variety ideas patched together by sub-standard implementation. The atrocious pc implementation is suprising since pc gaming is quite popular in poland.

I will say the gritty gore in enjoyable, but beyond that its hard to find positives. I really doubt i'm going to give this another shot even though i was so hyped about this game. Techland really needs to take a break, get some decent talent, and think hard before they speak. Also, someone needs to make the game they showed in the first trailer, with solid gunplay,melee , and an emotionally riveting story.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Enigma777

L4D2 is quite awful.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Animasta

game is rad and I'm also playing on PC

sorry you don't like good games I guess

Liber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Liber

I agree with OP.

I am playing it with 2 other friends and the game is just boring. The limb chopping was cool at the beginning but now its boring, the quests are repetitive and mostly out of context.

There is no actual plot besides the "we need to get off this island" thing, I mean its a zombie game what else would a survivor do ?

Not to mention all the console -> PC port symptoms and lack of any graphical options.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ryanwho

Boring first person game has RPG elements, is beloved. I guess this is the new paradigm. The field of view thing seems like an odd problem to have in 2011. I thought people figured that shit out around when Half Life 2 came out.

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By gamb1t

thats like playing callofduty on the wii.......

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@ryanwho said:

Boring first person game has RPG elements, is beloved. I guess this is the new paradigm.

No. Its more like "A game that sells well has a lot of different people with different backgrounds, different things going on in their lives, different views, etc get a game. The people that don't like it think that other people are wrong or dumb for liking it (or less often the opposite) then write snarky comments on the internet like this. 'Boring first person game has RPG elements, is beloved. I guess this is the new paradigm.' thus making them seem snobbish without really having any reason to be."

That's more of a mouth full though.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By Sooperspy

I like Dead Island a lot.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

@Redbullet685 said:

Me too!

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Brians

@Redbullet685 said:

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

L4D is pretty brutal too
    canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By canucks23

Single player can get pretty boring, but the coop is a ton of fun to play with friends.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By spankingaddict

@Enigma777 said:

L4D2 is quite awful.

Fuck.... UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

: )

koshka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By koshka

I think that this game has everything to do with what makes or breaks games for people. It's far from perfect, and in many ways flawed. But for me? I love the hell out of it and played it through with my friend this weekend. We've been waiting for a game like this for a long time and we were quite pleased even with all the jank, the bad pacing, the shit story, the nonattachment to the characters...

I think that, in the end, this was a blast because we treated it like a B movie. The fighting itself, for us, was extremely addicting and satisfieing.

As for the people posting making it sound like anyone who likes this game is "wrong"

Yea...really?

as for L4D2, I enjoyed it for a short period of time, but got tired of it far too quickly, not my kinda game.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheHumanDove

I think dead island is great. I only play it co-op with my friends though, so that might influence my opinion. One of the more fun games I've played all year

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ryanwho

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@ryanwho said:

Boring first person game has RPG elements, is beloved. I guess this is the new paradigm.

No. Its more like "A game that sells well has a lot of different people with different backgrounds, different things going on in their lives, different views, etc get a game. The people that don't like it think that other people are wrong or dumb for liking it (or less often the opposite) then write snarky comments on the internet like this. 'Boring first person game has RPG elements, is beloved. I guess this is the new paradigm.' thus making them seem snobbish without really having any reason to be."

You've really got all your mileage out of that community college psych course, huh. You don't have to like what I said, but you basically called me presumptuous and then said some far more presumptuous things so you look like an ass, little bit. Little bit. But that's cool, don't flip out.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@ryanwho said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@ryanwho said:

You've really got all your mileage out of that community college psych course, huh. You don't have to like what I said, but you basically called me presumptuous and then said some far more presumptuous things so you look like an ass, little bit. Little bit. But that's cool, don't flip out.

I didn't say I wasn't an ass too.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ryanwho

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@ryanwho said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@ryanwho said:

We're ass to ass right now.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@ryanwho said:

The best way to tumble.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Subjugation

@Redbullet685 said:

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Capum15

Opinions, how do they work?

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Vodun

Yeah, well... That's like, just your opinion man.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By mazik765

Well I like this game.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By Red

I haven't played the game--I'll probably pick it up once it goes on sale--but your complaint about gameplay

"Chop his arm off, break his arm, hit him in the head, watch dps counters float off enemies"

Can be said about every game.

Halo: Shoot him with a machine gun, shoot him with a shotgun. Melee that guy.

SotC: Jump on that guy from a building, jump on that guy from your house. Stab them.

Mario: Jump on this, jump on that, jump on him, jump on her.

I just hate it when people put a simplify what you do in a game and call it a criticism.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By sirdesmond

Chess is boring too. It's all like... take this piece with that piece, then take this piece with that piece... I got bored after about one match. Three matches... ugh... it was unbearable.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By onarum

@Vodun said:

I am the walrus.

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By neoepoch

@Red said:

I just hate it when people put a simplify what you do in a game and call it a criticism.

It is one of the laziest forms of criticisms, aside from saying it has flaws and not expanding on that.

Nettacki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Nettacki

@onarum said:

@Vodun said:

I am the walrus.

I BURIED PAUL

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By Sackmanjones

Yo I like dis game!

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Beaudacious:I think you're in need of the advanced settings. With them the game looks like this:-

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ryanwho

@Red said:

I haven't played the game--I'll probably pick it up once it goes on sale--but your complaint about gameplay

"Chop his arm off, break his arm, hit him in the head, watch dps counters float off enemies"

SotC: Jump on that guy from a building, jump on that guy from your house. Stab them.

Not really. Your examples are general strategies that tend to work. His statement is a very specific strategy that appears to work every time on every creature. Your SOTC example is especially asinine. He's not simplifying the gameplay, he gave you every step he uses to beat every enemy in the game.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Ha, why did anyone reply to this thread? You guys are dumb.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#33  Edited By Levio

Similarly, I still don't get why people fawned over Borderlands. It's quests were MMO-level repetitive, and the guns hardly changed as you upgraded them unless you got a really special epic/legendary item.

But everyone likes different games so who cares. I bet very few people enjoy turn-based MMO's as much as I do (Spiral Knights, Kingdom of Loathing).

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@ryanwho said:

@Red said:

Not really. Your examples are general strategies that tend to work. His statement is a very specific strategy that appears to work every time on every creature. Your SOTC example is especially asinine. He's not simplifying the gameplay, he gave you every step he uses to beat every enemy in the game.

I'd love to see an example of that process in action with multiple enemies on you including some of the larger ones at the same time. There isn't an example because it's a fucking statement, not a rule of thumb. You have a habit of talking from your bum and thinking you're being informative.

Valames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Valames

I just completed this game after not wanting it at all until I saw the quick look. It was one of the most entertaining games I have played all year. It did a great job of making me feel like I was part of a group of people trying to do things to survive. The mundane tasks were made more exciting by the constant threat of danger the world presents. I love always feeling like I have to keep moving, otherwise an infected zombie would have me dead in seconds. I loved this game, and I hope it gets a sequel. Maybe not game of the year, but a damn enjoyable game. I played the

PC version as well. The only real bugs I ran into were instant dying while kicking a beach ball and some quests not showing up after I picked them up.

I hate how binary user reviews of this game are. It is either love or hate. It's a great game. Not the best game, but a great game. Definitely not an awful game.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By JoeyRavn

I absolutely love the game, but I admit it's a technical disaster. The PC port is especially guilty of this. No option to enable VSync? Bullshit, mate.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@JoeyRavn said:

I absolutely love the game, but I admit it's a technical disaster. The PC port is especially guilty of this. No option to enable VSync? Bullshit, mate.

Can't force Vsync in your GPU drivers?

Valames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Valames

@JoeyRavn: You can force vsync using notepad by adjusting the settings doc.

razorzxz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By razorzxz

@Redbullet685 said:

Cowmeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Cowmeat

@Redbullet685 said:

I'm having a lot of fun doing stupid stuff with my friends.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SlasherMan

@JoeyRavn said:

D3DOverrider (Bundled with Rivatuner) is your friend. I don't even use the default VSync setting in games anymore because they don't allow for Triple Buffering.

Also, I like this game a lot too. Playing with a bunch of friends on PC, and it's a lot of addictive fun. Looks pretty good to me and runs very well on my old machine.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By valrog

A lot of people with disagree with you. I haven't played it yet myself, but I heard mostly praise from people I know that are playing it.

hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By hoossy

@ryanwho said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@ryanwho said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@ryanwho said:

this is the hottest thing I've ever read...

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By McShank

36 hours of SINGLE PLAYER action beating it while trying to get every achiev / quest done and I just started it again with the same character to get lvl 50 and start on some co-op. Game looks great for having mutiplayer options and is not ever game repetitive? Tell me what game is not repetitive while playing. Is COD just shooting people? Is Assassins creed just killing people and getting from 1 point to another? Is mario not about saving the princess? The pc version controls are easy and the menu's are simple to navigate which i am not understanding your bitching. You bash the team who made the game yet have you even made something that can beat pong? Did they have a gun to your head saying you were forced to buy it? Until you come up with some actual reasons then STFU. This is like the 20th post about people getting butt hurt about this game that so far has been getting great scores and is actually a fun game. Maybe if you spent less time bitching and moaning you could find the good.

Valames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Valames

@McShank: I'll have your children. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Sooty

I think the quests are pretty ass in the game but I can understand why people may like it. I just didn't enjoy it in the end.

My save getting corrupted didn't help.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By McShank

@Sooty said:

I think the quests are pretty ass in the game but I can understand why people may like it. I just didn't enjoy it in the end.

My save getting corrupted didn't help.

My save only got corrupted after day 1 patch but that was seen coming a mile away. Also the ps3 has to be patched soon since that is the version right now with glitches that are still game breaking. And yes the quests do get pretty mundane at times but i think the idea of killing more zombies just made me want to do them even more. Also i hate skipping things in games since i paid money to play it, i might as well get everything it has to offer. The ending did seem kind of stale but when i pressed continue after beating it and it said I keep items and stats / level, I became happy again as getting to lvl 37 was hard enough as it was so getting level 50 is gonna take just as long.

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Beaudacious

I never said i was stating anything other than my opinion, and made no judgement on anyone else. Talk about fanboys (now i am judging others).

Anyways i talked to steam customer support and got a refund cause of the buggieness, hooray for nice customer support.

Elusionar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#49  Edited By Elusionar

I like watching people play dead Island, but I cant stand playing it.

Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Agent47

@Beaudacious:Well the PC version did get the worse treatment it is the most buggiest version.Plus it misses the awesome analog option that consoles get that really make the game more unique and satisfying.As for L4D ripoff I say jajaja Dead Island has way more depth and more going on to compare it to L4D.Besides L4D in it's own right isn't even that great.Just another FPS made off the source engine.But hey say whatever you want their is always that one guy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.