Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Island

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released Sep 06, 2011

After a zombie virus sweeps across a beautiful island resort, survivors must fight their way to freedom while trying to find out exactly what went down in this open-world first-person action game.

Playing by yourself makes no sense story wise.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Hizang

Ok so without going into to much detail, in Dead island you wake up in a hotel (By yourself?) and are rescued from the zombies by a few survivers. Then about 4-5 hours in a cutscene plays that shows your character with the 3 other characters you could have picked from at the beginning of the game, this is just such bad story telling. At no point in the game if you are playing by yourself do these characters appear or even mentioned. But in that cutscene they talk to each other and everything, but up until this point I've never even seen them!

So yeah did the Dead island people think nobody would play by themselves, or did I miss a cutscene before this that explains who they are and why we are together?

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Dany

If a word could describe this game it would most likely be janky.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By JoeyRavn

In Dragon Quest IX, the exact same opposite happens: your party members are seen running around the world with you, but they are never acknowledged in conversations and they completely disappear during cut-scenes.

In another news, games are games. Stop trying to impose silly "logic" onto them. Just imagine the three other characters are doing other things when you're playing and you all four come together during cut-scenes.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Hizang

@JoeyRavn: Yeah but that cutscene wasn't the first one, there had been a few before that, why were they not in those ones too? It wasn't even a good cutscene, it was just a small 30 second cutscene that showed off a new enemy type.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Vodun

If stuff like that bothers you this game ain't for you.

sugetipula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sugetipula

What about playing WITH yourself?

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By hbkdx12

technical constrains or pure laziness as far as them not wanting to create 4 or more unique cutscenes for the characters playing

Just imagine the other 3 people are 3 tyler durdens

It's all in ur mind :)

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By amir90

Hmm, makes me think this game is only worth if I am interested in playing with other people.
    Never thought about that, not sure the developer did either :(

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Heltom92

I'm with TC on this one, it's so bizarre that they appear in cutscenes and then are never seen anywhere else.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By JoeyRavn

@Hizang said:

@JoeyRavn: Yeah but that cutscene wasn't the first one, there had been a few before that, why were they not in those ones too? It wasn't even a good cutscene, it was just a small 30 second cutscene that showed off a new enemy type.

You're putting way too much thought into this. The other characters weren't in the previous cut-scenes because they just weren't there. Your character was by himself then. I sincerely don't see why make such a deal about this.

morrelloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By morrelloman

This game is not meant to be played singe player, but it is still fun if you do. Ignore the issue brought up in this thread and go kill some zambies!

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By EpicSteve

I recall an early cutscene were an NPC was referring to me as a group of people, and then talked to me as if I was a male character.

darkjester74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By darkjester74

I hate to tell you this but story is not the reason to play this game.  Besides, do you really expect compelling narrative from a zombie game? 
    sixpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By sixpin

There is an early cutscene where, while in first person, I clearly saw the character I was playing as standing in the back of the room face palming. I felt the expression was very apt. But, yeah... It is a video game and a janky one at that.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By onarum
    @amir90 said:
    Hmm, makes me think this game is only worth if I am interested in playing with other people. Never thought about that, not sure the developer did either :(
    Yeah because you can't possibly have any fun with the game unless one particular cutscene makes more sense.
    Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Subjugation

@EpicSteve said:

I recall an early cutscene were an NPC was referring to me as a group of people, and then talked to me as if I was a male character.

I came in here to post just this. There are some weird inconsistencies in the dialog, but I'm still enjoying the game very much.

bill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By bill

now in the 21 century, the gaming community has overgrown with whiny bitches. if a game is broken and cant be played, then go ahead and bitch. if not youre only making yourself look bad, like a bitch

IkariNoTekken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By IkariNoTekken

The game is completely lacking logic, I've just been ignoring it.

I'm assuming the intro video (that plays when the game first loads) annoys you as well. 

Heres the video for whoever hasn't seen it:

You see a beach party from a first person perspective and as you go around aggravating people you are introduced to all four playable characters.  [Ex-football player, hip hop artist, female body guard and policewoman (undercover) from Hong Kong.

You then go to your room where you pass out on the bed. Starting the game sees you waking up as though you were that character who passed out, however you can't be because your one of the four you saw.
    Logic? No where to be found. Just try not to think about it.
    Avatar image for deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a
    deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It doesn't make much sense when you play alone but neither does the intro if you wake up in the bed.

I've just come to accept that the stories pretty lax anyway

Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
    deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@EpicSteve said:

Ok I'm glad somebody else noticed that too, the person i was sitting with while playing it and I tried to figure out what was going on.

uberexplodey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By uberexplodey

@hbkdx12 said:

Just imagine the other 3 people are 3 tyler durdens

This is what I've been doing.

koshka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By koshka

While I don't let this bother me I was thinking that they could've simply done a single player cutscene version of the game when you were playing in single player and had your character following a ... well mostly similar story arch. You could've copy pasted so much to make those too... It's ashame, but I don't really care in the end. I was a tiny bit dissapointed with the ending... it reminded me, strangely, of Batman Archam Asylum

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@sixpin said:

There is an early cutscene where, while in first person, I clearly saw the character I was playing as standing in the back of the room face palming. I felt the expression was very apt. But, yeah... It is a video game and a janky one at that.

Ohhhhh. I want to see that.

That sounds cool in the dumbest way.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.